Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Annoying songs at my gym...

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Annoying songs at my gym...

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-09, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Annoying songs at my gym...

Originally Posted by GuessWho
OK, you may have a point, but...

... but you just killed that point. A 'ten effing years old' song is too old, so let's suggest something 30 years old?
Jesus, what a bunch of pedants... Most of the music my gym plays (Alannis Morrisette being one example) is by has beens who were popular 10 years ago and who's music is inextricably mid-ninties sounding. That makes them dated. Back in Black (to pick one example) is a timeless classic. I'm not saying it has to be classic 70s rock. As another example, why play Collective Soul when Soundgarden was equally (if not more) popular and much, much better?

To put it another way, I usually listen to electronic music like Justice, LCD Soundsystem, Digitalism and Daft Punk when I'm working out. Sometimes, I throw in some hard rock like The Wildhearts or metal like Mastodon. The chances of my gym playing anything like the music I listen to frequently is zero. Therefore, I picked some traditional classic rock as a comprimise. It's probably less objectionable to the middle-aged denizens of my gym, it's commonly played in public environs (sporting events etc) and I think we can all agree "Sweet Emotion" is more appropriate for a gym than "Bubbly".

Last edited by Hiro11; 01-22-09 at 11:24 AM.
Old 01-22-09, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Hiro11
As another example, why play Collective Soul when Soundgarden was equally (if not more) popular and much, much better?
Since the end of Rusty Cage is in 19/8 that would be a hard time signature to keep in rhythm.

I think your gym is probably playing up to the younger membership.
Old 01-22-09, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jesus, what a bunch of pedants... Most of the music my gym plays (Alannis Morrisette being one example) is by has beens who were popular 10 years ago and who's music is inextricably mid-ninties sounding. That makes them dated. Back in Black (to pick one example) is a timeless classic. I'm not saying it has to be classic 70s rock. As another example, why play Collective Soul when Soundgarden was equally (if not more) popular and much, much better?

To put it another way, I usually listen to electronic music like Justice, LCD Soundsystem, Digitalism and Daft Punk when I'm working out. Sometimes, I throw in some hard rock like The Wildhearts or metal like Mastodon. The chances of my gym playing anything like the music I listen to frequently is zero. Therefore, I picked some traditional classic rock as a comprimise. It's probably less objectionable to the middle-aged denizens of my gym, it's commonly played in public environs (sporting events etc) and I think we can all agree "Sweet Emotion" is more appropriate for a gym than "Bubbly".
It's all a matter of opinion. I think Alanis is excellent and while she's not as popular as she once was, her last album was one of my faves of 2008 but people are so hung up on the "angry young woman" image she had in 1996 to bother. Plus, Alanis wasn't just a mildly successful 90's artist, she had one of the biggest albums of that decade, so it makes sense that her songs get more recurrent airplay than someone like Natalie Imbruglia or Lisa Loeb.
Old 01-22-09, 10:48 PM

Let's go ahead and end this right now. Fuck Alanis Morrissette. She sucks. Classic? C'mon. Bon Scott AC/DC? Zeppelin? Purple? Sabbath? Maiden? Pantera (even pre-Phil)? Boston? pre-"Load" Metallica? Rush? That's classic. Not some whiny, Prius driving Canadian ****. Jesus, you guys' taste is in your mouths...
Old 01-22-09, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by HardRoxx88
Let's go ahead and end this right now. Fuck Alanis Morrissette. She sucks. Classic? C'mon. Bon Scott AC/DC? Zeppelin? Purple? Sabbath? Maiden? Pantera (even pre-Phil)? Boston? pre-"Load" Metallica? Rush? That's classic. Not some whiny, Prius driving Canadian ****. Jesus, you guys' taste is in your mouths...
did it ever dawn on you that they're nowhere in the same musical territory? If you're gonna trash Alanis in favor of someone more talented than her, try Carly Simon, Kate Bush, Joni Mitchell, PJ Harvey, Annie Lennox or someone of that ilk that actually is of the mellow female singer-songwriter variety... that will more likely appeal to an Alanis fan than Pantera. You sound like one of those Amazon.com trolls who'll write a trash review for a Madonna or Mariah album and then go "you want real music? Buy a Black Sabbath cd", neverminding the fact that there's absolutely nothing in common between them to make a Mariah fan consider checking the artist out. You should try to at least get the genre similar in terms of comparing two artists. Pantera and Alanis have about as much in common as The Beatles and Miley Cyrus do. If you want to convince people that Alanis sucks, at least compare her with someone of the same genre who is superior to her. All namedropping a bunch of metal acts does is show that you wouldn't like Alanis if she was the best female singer-songwriter because you're not even into that genre.

Last edited by nothingfails; 01-22-09 at 11:03 PM.
Old 01-22-09, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Sixpence None the Richer! Rock on! I admit I have the original by Crowded House on my player.

I also have 7 AC/DC songs on there if that make me any cooler.
Old 01-23-09, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DVD-ho78(DTS)
I also have 7 AC/DC songs on there if that make me any cooler.
lol, same here. I have all of Alanis' albums on my ipod, but that doesn't mean I don't also have every other artist who was just namedropped besides Pantera. Some people actually have the ability to listen to more than one genre of music.

I'm still laughing my ass off at the whole "Alanis sucks, try Sabbath, Maiden and Pantera instead" post when there is absolutely nothing in common that would convince an Alanis fan that she's not the best artist of her field. Next time you bash Alanis, at least do it in favor of Kate and Annie... you know, female singer-songwriters who are actually in the same genre and would appeal more to an Alanis fan? LOL
Old 01-23-09, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Admittedly, this is an easily solved and extremely minor problem. I guess this thread is more about "songs Hiro11 doesn't like" than about "I have a problem and I'm looking for a solution"...
Excellent point.
Old 01-27-09, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

As I said, I own one. The problem is that:
1. I can't swim with it
2. I can't wear it in the locker room or showering
http://www.amazon.com/Lewis-N-Clark-...3089014&sr=8-2
3. This music is like acid from a facehugger's blood, it can eat through any background noise you care to mention
can't help there. Hypervigilance is a curse.

-jason
Old 01-27-09, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Those are bad... This is the one that was at my gym in Prague all the time, until they moved onto a similar sounding song also by the same genius.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/d4FM2_t3ALo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/d4FM2_t3ALo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I refuse to speak his name because it annoys me so much.