Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Album by Album: David Bowie

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Album by Album: David Bowie

Old 03-14-13, 05:10 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts
Re: Album by Album: David Bowie

As I recall this album came out around the same moment as the film Seven. That film features The Heart's Filthy Leson over the end credits and a Nine Inch Nails song over the opening credits and ultimately Bowie and NIN toured together. Outside is dark, grungy, and industrial influenced. It, Seven, and NIN formed some kind of perfect collision of the industrial sound and horror/thriller asthetics.
Old 03-14-13, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The first time I ever saw Bowie was live on Outside tour w/ NIN (no intermission, just a middle "duet" section with the two artists doing "Reptile" and "Scary Monsters" together) and it was really, really something.... It wasn't the best Bowie show I ever attended, but it was the BIGGEST and the DARKEST, so very memorable and pretty impressive in that way. Good times. My favorite Bowie "comeback" album is still HEATHEN, but I need to listen to THE NEXT DAY some more before I make up my mind on it.
Old 03-14-13, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

I've got a boot of a Bowie/NIN show that is absolutely stunning, it turns out Bowie and Reznor work really well together.
Old 03-17-13, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Track listing:

"Little Wonder" – 6:02
"Looking for Satellites" – 5:21
"Battle for Britain (The Letter)" – 4:48
"Seven Years in Tibet" – 6:22
"Dead Man Walking" – 6:50
"Telling Lies" – 4:49
"The Last Thing You Should Do" – 4:57
"I'm Afraid of Americans" – 5:00
"Law (Earthlings on Fire)" – 4:48

Earthling is the twentieth studio album by David Bowie released in February 1997 via BMG Records. The album showcases an electronica-influenced sound partly inspired by the industrial and drum and bass culture of the 1990s.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_9gc7AWzMoY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wOZrGHmMl4o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/u7APmRkatEU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-17-13, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I love Earthling so much I wrote a lengthy blog about it a few years back so rather than blather on about how underrated I think it is I'll just link to it

Why I love Earthling
Old 03-17-13, 08:51 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Earthling was Bowie's newest album when I got into him, so it will always hold a special place in my heart as it was where he was musically when I really fell in love with his work. I still enjoy it, although I can see how it might come off as dated or indulgent, but I think Bowie was really digging making music at that point, and the leanness of the album makes it a great smaller brother to the sprawl of Outside.

I'd rank it as his second best 90's album.
Old 03-21-13, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Earthling seems to get a lot of criticism, mostly over him appearing to chase relevancy, but I think it's a solid effort from Bowie. Some really great tracks here - "Little Wonder", "Tibet", "Dead Man", "Last Thing" and "I'm Afraid of Americans". The key to this album is that it doesn't outstay its welcome at 9 songs.
Old 03-24-13, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Track listing:

1. "Thursday's Child" 5:24
2. "Something in the Air" 5:46
3. "Survive" 4:11
4. "If I'm Dreaming My Life" 7:04
5. "Seven" 4:04
6. "What's Really Happening?" 4:10
7. "The Pretty Things Are Going to Hell" 4:40
8. "New Angels of Promise" 4:35
9. "Brilliant Adventure" 1:54
10. "The Dreamers" 5:14

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8S227FFNwl8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HO7FTtX73GE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TvMZAP0KnB0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-24-13, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I like this album more than most. It's not great, or even good compared to his later works, but its endlessly listenable to me. "Something in the Air" is a guilty pleasure (see video above). Even looking at the track list I can't really remember how some of the songs go but I can listen to the album all the way through and enjoy it. That being said, "All the Pretty Things" is pretty bad.

Ultimately, this is comfort food Bowie for me. With Outside and Earthlings being so in your face I was ready for a mellow album.
Old 03-24-13, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts

I like this one quite a bit as well.
Old 03-24-13, 02:12 PM
Banned by request

hours... is Bowie's worst album since Never Let Me Down. Outside of "Something In The Air" and "Seven", the songs are bland, forgettable, and sometimes just downright bad. I have no clue where Bowie's head was when he wrote the songs for this album. I'm glad this was his last with Gabrels, because the squelchy guitar had worn out its welcome.

It also has a really busy, unattractive album cover.
Old 03-24-13, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hours doesn't offend me like the worst of Tonight or NLMD but it does bore me. It's just too sleepy sounding and safe. After the to me dazzling creativity and passion of Outside and Earthling it was quite a comedown, and it's still one of the Bowie albums I least listen to.
Old 03-24-13, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Pretty ambitious write ups:

Stereogum: David Bowie Albums from Worst to Best

Vulture: David Bowie's Golden Years: Assessing a Radical Career
Old 03-24-13, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts

The first one is a slideshow. Ugh.
Old 04-02-13, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Track listing:

1. "Sunday" 4:45
2. "Cactus" (Black Francis) 2:54
3. "Slip Away" 6:05
4. "Slow Burn" 4:41
5. "Afraid" 3:28
6. "I've Been Waiting for You" (Neil Young) 3:00
7. "I Would Be Your Slave" 5:14
8. "I Took a Trip on a Gemini Spaceship" (Norman Carl Odam) 4:04
9. "5:15 The Angels Have Gone" 5:00
10. "Everyone Says 'Hi'" 3:59
11. "A Better Future" 4:11
12. "Heathen (The Rays)" 4:16

Heathen is the twenty-second studio album by English rock musician David Bowie, released in 2002. It was considered a comeback for Bowie in the U.S. market; it was his highest charting album (No. 14) since Tonight (1984), and earned some of his strongest reviews since Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps) (1980). Worldwide, it sold over two million copies and experienced a four-month run on the UK charts. Although its production had started before September 11 attacks in 2001, the album was finished after that date, which ended up influencing its concept.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/G4IISUZC33Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5eFRneZkLqs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KGh3Cp_ssgE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-03-13, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now we're talking. Depending on my mood, could be my favorite Bowie album. "Slip Away" (an ode to a local New York TV program of the '70s and '80s called "The Uncle Floyd Show", which Bowie and John Lennon apparently used to watch together) and "Slow Burn" are among the top of my favorite Bowie tunes. I listened to this one on repeat for months when it came out.
Old 04-03-13, 03:03 PM
Banned by request

I love love LOVE this album. This is true classic Bowie, and can stand up there among his 70's output. "Sunday" is one of my favorite opening tracks ever, with a slow-build up that finally resolves with a great drum beat.

There are so many exceptional songs here, from "Slow Burn", which recalls "Heroes" but also updates it, to "5:15 The Angels Have Gone," which is one of Bowie's most fascinating melodies, and the title track, which is a perfect album closer.

Heathen also has some of Bowie's best covers. "Cactus", originally by The Pixies, is given more muscle here, while Neil Young's "I've Been Waiting For You" is emotionally epic. The best is "I Took A Trip On A Gemini Spaceship", which you would think was a Bowie original, but in fact is by The Legendary Stardust Cowboy, one of Bowie's influences for Ziggy Stardust.

The only weak track on the album is "Slip Away", which is ponderous and plodding, not up to the level of song craft evident in the rest of the album.

That song aside, Heathen is an exceptional album that proves that Bowie remains relevant while so many of his contemporaries faded into insignificance.
Old 04-03-13, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is my favorite of his late career albums. The opener, "Sunday" is absolutely killer. Slow and menacing, it builds throughout the track and sets the tone early. "Slow Burn" is his last absolute classic single. Just a fantastic performance.

While I love the other two covers, never really warmed up to "Cactus". His version doesn't hold a candle to the Black Francis original.

Although it might be sequenced a bit early, I love "Slip Away" and think it earns its longer run time.

Very little filler on this one and the last third of the album is just phenomenal. Great, great album that I never get tired of enjoying.
Old 11-16-21, 05:58 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

I didn't know which Bowie thread to bump so I chose this one.

If you CAN watch this remastered video on a 4K TV, do it. It looks phenomenal...
looks like they rescanned the original film and color corrected it. You don't get this kind of quality from music videos shot on SD video.

Old 11-17-21, 05:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,298 Likes on 943 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
I didn't know which Bowie thread to bump so I chose this one.

If you CAN watch this remastered video on a 4K TV, do it. It looks phenomenal...
looks like they rescanned the original film and color corrected it. You don't get this kind of quality from music videos shot on SD video.
Damn, you're right. Looked pretty amazing.
Old 11-17-21, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 945 Likes on 719 Posts

I've been reading this thread since the bump, and it's a bummer seeing people all excited about the "upcoming" Bowie album not realizing how little time we'd have with him. Not sure if I'm explaining myself too well there, but I hope you all see what I mean.
Old 11-17-21, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Nice, thanks for posting. Will tide me over until I summon the courage to spend $300+ on the 5th vinyl box set
Old 03-08-22, 11:07 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't stop listening to the Young Americans Album.
And hearing the John Lennon and Luther Vandross collaborations are great.

I also love the early stuff. Silly Boy Blue is such a great song and I'm so happy he revisited it on TOY BOX.
Old 03-08-22, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 802 Likes on 676 Posts

Thank goodness I'm not into vinyl. I have no idea as a Bowie completist how I could manage the onslaught of recent releases, especially hunting down all the Record Store Day stuff.