Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Cover Songs You Didn't Realize Were Covers

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-09, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So usually I'm pretty on the ball with knowing when songs are covers. Recently, I heard Joe Jackson's "Got The Time" and without knowing that the Anthrax version was a cover. It wasn't until I saw it was on an album that pre-dated the Anthrax album that I finally put two and two together. I'm almost embarrassed by the fact that I didn't realize it before. I always liked the Anthrax version but in the past few years I've gotten more into Joe Jackson and I love the original version now way more than the Anthrax cover.

Last edited by Cardiff Giant11; 01-17-09 at 11:40 AM.
Old 01-17-09, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Cover Songs You Didn't Realize Were Covers

It really seemed like the sort of thing They Might Be Giants would write:

I also didn't realize "Sloop John B" was a traditional folk song.
Old 01-17-09, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ha that's a new one to me as well, thought it was an original by TMBG as well.
Old 01-17-09, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I didn't know Vanilla Ice covered David Bowie's "Under Pressure" until I got into Bowie a while back.

Also, being a younger kid when they came out, I never knew that Guns N' Roses "Live and Let Die" and "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" were covers.
Old 01-17-09, 02:10 PM
Banned

Nine Inch Nails- "Dead Souls". Didnt realize this was a JOy Division cover until about 4 or 5 months ago.
Old 01-17-09, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts
Robert Van Winkle's career fell the hell asleep

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I didn't know Vanilla Ice covered David Bowie's "Under Pressure" until I got into Bowie a while back.
I remember seeing a clip of Vanilla Ice explaining how "Ice Ice Baby" was different because he added a note.
In the early 1990s, Vanilla Ice came under criticism for the unauthorised use of a sample from the Queen/David Bowie hit "Under Pressure". Vanilla Ice's case rested on the addition of one short note, a repetition of a note from the original. No lawsuit was filed, but it is conjectured that Vanilla Ice agreed to pay Queen and Bowie if they agreed not to sue.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sampling_(music)
Old 01-17-09, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^theres goes (hums tune) mine goes (hums same note adding a beat) its not the same, one itty bitty ching, you see not the same!
Old 01-17-09, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,189 Likes on 4,216 Posts

Bonnie Raitt's big hit "Thing Called Love" is a fine song, but it's a cover of the even more wonderful John Hiatt version. Most people have never heard the original with its extra verse.
Old 01-17-09, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Speaking of John Hiatt, Suzy Bogguss' "Drive South" was an early song that started me on the road to accepting country music as a genre. I never knew until years later that it was a cover.

Similarly, Mary Chapin Carpenter had a hit with "Passionate Kisses". I later found the Lucinda Williams album with the original song and got it and loved it. Thus, I was primed and ready for when "Car Wheels" came out a few years later and made her huge with the critics.
Old 01-17-09, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Tesla "Little Suzie" I only found out about it a couple years ago when VH1 had a special playing the 1st videos on MTV in order and that song was second or third by some crappy band I never heard of
Old 01-17-09, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Wow... I love Tesla and didn't know that about Little Suzie.
Old 01-17-09, 09:12 PM
Needs to provide a working email

Took a while for me to find out that David Gray's "Say Hello, Wave Goodbye" was originally done by some crappy 80s British synth duo. Took longer to accept it.

Speaking of covers, I thought it was hilarious that Tom Waits's VH1 Storytellers featured him playing "Downtown Train" (famously sung by Rod Stewart), "Jersey Girl" (famously sung by Bruce Springsteen), "Ol' '55" (famously sung by The Eagles), and another I can't think of right now. Talk about the original performer of famous covers getting a fair shake.
Old 01-17-09, 09:15 PM
Needs to provide a working email

Man, and the guys who originally did "Say Hello, Wave Goodbye" also did the famous version of "Tainted Love," which I did not know was a cover.
Old 01-17-09, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cactusoly
Tesla "Little Suzie" I only found out about it a couple years ago when VH1 had a special playing the 1st videos on MTV in order and that song was second or third by some crappy band I never heard of
I actually own the album of that crappy band you've never heard of. They were called Ph.D., and their original version of the song was titled "Little Suzi's On The Up". Tesla just shortened the name, but infinitely improved upon the song for theirs.

Last edited by Rocketdog2000; 01-19-09 at 12:52 AM.
Old 01-17-09, 10:48 PM

As a child of the 80's, I never knew that "Always Something There To Remind Me" was an old Burt Barchacrach song.

But then again, up until that previous post, I never knew Tainted Love was recorded prior to the famous Soft Cell version!
Old 01-18-09, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what about Mr. Bojangles? Nitty Gritty Dirt Band was not the original artist.
Old 01-18-09, 05:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

I had no idea Tesla's "Little Suzie" was a cover until I read this thread, so that's one. (Never hugely into Tesla; don't think I ever had that particular album.)

Also, at the time I didn't know that "I Ain't Superstitious" from Megadeth's "Peace Sells... But Who's Buying" album was a cover of an old blues song. (Hey, I was, what, twelve? thirteen?)

Didn't know that Soft Cell's "Tainted Love" was a cover for quite a while. (I sort of remember that song from way back in the 80s, forgot about it, and then, about ten years ago, someone used it in a commercial, and that's when I found out it was a cover.)

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 01-18-09 at 05:07 AM.
Old 01-18-09, 05:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Oh... and "Cum on Feel the Noize" by Quiet Riot. I was maybe nine or ten when I first heard it and didn't immediately know it was a cover. A while later I found out it was originally recorded by Slade, and had no idea who the fuck they were.
Old 01-18-09, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Never knew Linda Ronstadt's "You're No Good" was a cover till I heard the original by Betty Everett from 1963-64.

If a songwriter gives a new song to another artist and lets them record and release it first is it a cover?
For example, The Stones gave Johnny Winter "Silver Train" and his version was released some months before the Stones version on Goats Head Soup.
Old 01-18-09, 08:01 AM

Just found out the other day that "Don't Look Back" by Peter Tosh and Mick Jagger was a cover of a song originally done by the Temptations
Old 01-18-09, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Hank Ringworm
Man, and the guys who originally did "Say Hello, Wave Goodbye" also did the famous version of "Tainted Love," which I did not know was a cover.
Yep that would be Soft Cell. I just pulled up a sample of the NIN cover of Dead Souls, being a fan of Joy Division I was probably going to vastly prefer the original anyway and listening to the clip proved me right
Old 01-18-09, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Probably won't come as a surprise to most here but nearly 100% of people I run into never know that Shameless by Garth Brooks is actually a Billy Joel tune.
Old 01-18-09, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts

Didn't know that the classic '60 rock Wild Thing sung by The Troggs was originally recorded first by The Wild Ones in 1965. The Troggs recorded the song in 1966 and it went number one on the U.S. Billboard chart on that year. The song writer Chip Taylor is the brother of actor Jon Voight.
Old 01-18-09, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm sure i'll be jumped on for this one, but I never knew Disturbed's "Fade to Black" from their "Music as a Weapon" tour was a Metallica cover until a couple months ago.
Old 01-18-09, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Probably won't come as a surprise to most here but nearly 100% of people I run into never know that Shameless by Garth Brooks is actually a Billy Joel tune.
That's just sad.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.