Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Cover Songs You Didn't Realize Were Covers

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Cover Songs You Didn't Realize Were Covers

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-11, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: Cover Songs You Didn't Realize Were Covers

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
My favorite part of that soundtrack is just knowing that Nick Lowe hit a huge payday by having someone cover "What So Funny About Peace, Love And Understanding".
A rare case of justice in an unfair business.
Old 01-14-11, 02:36 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Case01
Always thought Hanging on the Telephone was a Blondie song, found out it wasn't the case. Probably some others too.
I didn't realize that was a cover until just now when I read this post! Who did the original?

Originally Posted by Scrumtrulescent
I didn't realize "When You Were Mine" by Cyndi Lauper was actually a Prince song.
One of my favorite Prince songs. Ani DiFranco also covered it, but that might only have been during live sets.

I just today discovered that "Love Hurts" was not in fact written by Nazareth when a Roy Orbison version popped up on my iTunes shuffle. I looked it up and discovered it was written in 1960 and The Everly Brothers did the first recording of it. What's weird is that I love Roy Orbison, but somehow managed to never notice he had recorded a version of this song.

I vividly remember buying my first Bowie album (a greatest hits collection) because I recognized the songs "Space Oddity," "Ziggy Stardust," and "The Man Who Sold The World," which I couldn't believe was a cover (having assumed Nirvana wrote it and never listening to Kurt's chatter about it being a Bowie song). Also, speaking of Bowie, I didn't know that "Criminal World" off of the Let's Dance album was a Metro cover for a few years.
Old 01-14-11, 03:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I didn't realize that was a cover until just now when I read this post! Who did the original?
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/emy5mA8Ixtc?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/emy5mA8Ixtc?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

The Nerves out of Los Angeles. They only released an EP, but boy did that little group venture out. Peter Case moved on to The Plimsouls ("Million Miles Away") and solo. Paul Collins released some great material in The Beat + solo work and Jack Lee has also been at it awhile. Power pop at the top of the heap.
Old 01-14-11, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/emy5mA8Ixtc?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/emy5mA8Ixtc?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

The Nerves out of Los Angeles. They only released an EP, but boy did that little group venture out. Peter Case moved on to The Plimsouls ("Million Miles Away") and solo. Paul Collins released some great material in The Beat + solo work and Jack Lee has also been at it awhile. Power pop at the top of the heap.
Very cool! I never knew this was a cover. Love the original as well as Blondie's version.
I remember The Plimsouls too.

Last edited by LiquidSky; 01-14-11 at 07:24 AM.
Old 01-14-11, 01:47 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Joan Osbourne's Cathedrals
Old 01-14-11, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
Joan Osbourne's Cathedrals
Is that the Jump, Little Children song?
Old 01-14-11, 03:06 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 12thmonkey
Is that the Jump, Little Children song?
yes it is
Old 01-14-11, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love The Nerves - great band! I prefer the original to Blondie's version. Jack Lee also wrote "Come Back and Stay", which was latter a hit for Paul Young in '83, and I'm sure many folks don't realize that song was a cover, either.
Old 01-15-11, 04:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
Jack Lee also wrote "Come Back and Stay", which was latter a hit for Paul Young in '83, and I'm sure many folks don't realize that song was a cover, either.
I didn't know that. Cool info!

Here's the tune.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZxL6o1zL8sM?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZxL6o1zL8sM?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Last edited by atlantamoi; 01-15-11 at 04:32 AM.
Old 01-15-11, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Nice. Most people have no clue that Katrina And The Waves were more than just "Walking On Sunshine" and that Kimberley Rew wrote and was involved with some really good music (hello Soft Boys).
I was amazed when I found out that a Soft Boy wrote "Walking on Sunshine."

I can't remember if this one has been mentioned in the thread or not but I bet most people don't know that Three Dog Night didn't write "One." It's a cover of a Harry Nilsson track.
Old 01-15-11, 12:07 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah, and Nilsson's is way better than TDN, imo.
Old 01-15-11, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 912 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I just today discovered that "Love Hurts" was not in fact written by Nazareth when a Roy Orbison version popped up on my iTunes shuffle.
Wow. Mark me down for that one. I had no idea.
Old 01-15-11, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Cheap Trick doing "California Man"
Old 01-15-11, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
Cheap Trick doing "California Man"
Dang, I didn't know that either! It just sounds like... um, Cheap Trick! So I read that is a B-side from The Move released after the members had already started ELO. Interesting.
Old 01-16-11, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Springsteen also did this with "Because the Night" for Patti Smith and all of the other unused "Darkness on the Edge of Town" stuff that he gave to other people.
Springsteen wrote the song Fire specifically to give to Elvis, who unfortunately had a grabber while trying to take a dump before it could be recorded. The song was later covered by The Pointer Sisters, and became a big hit.

Here's Springsteen doing it Elvis style, as a demo:

and what became the actual hit:

Old 01-16-11, 08:26 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Springsteen also wrote Hungry Heart for the Ramones, but after "Because the Night" and "Fire," his manager basically said "You can't keep giving these songs away to other artists"
Old 01-17-11, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant11
So usually I'm pretty on the ball with knowing when songs are covers. Recently, I heard Joe Jackson's "Got The Time" and without knowing that the Anthrax version was a cover.
Anthrax's "Antisocial" is also a cover of a Trust song. I've been listening to them and that album since it came out when I was a kid. I only found out a few years ago it was a cover.
Old 01-18-11, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Killing Me Softly-The Fugees

There's more but I can't think of them now...

Oh yeah, I thought "When You Were Mine" was also an original. Even though I heard Laupers first, I actually like Prince's better.
Old 01-18-11, 04:15 AM

Natalie Imbruglia's Torn. Didn't know it was a cover until a couple of years ago.
Old 01-23-11, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF
Springsteen also wrote Hungry Heart for the Ramones, but after "Because the Night" and "Fire," his manager basically said "You can't keep giving these songs away to other artists"
And of course there was Blinded By The Light, Springsteen's first #1 song, though not for him. I mean it was the first track on his first album, but he wasn't a commercial success until Born To Run came out.

I was pretty shocked when I heard Springsteen's version for the first time.

Also, Springsteen's versions of Because The Night and Fire were recently released on "The Promise" and in the Darkness On The Edge Of Town box set.
Old 01-26-11, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by nothingfails
Wasn't "Mickey" also a cover track?
Yeah, by a group called Racey, and the track was called "Kitty." I had no idea, either, until I learned of it from a podcast called Coverville.

I also didn't know that Shaun Cassidy's "That's Rock And Roll" was a cover. I knew it was written by Eric Carmen, but didn't know Carmen recorded it on his debut album (the one with All By Myself).

I also didn't realize that When I Need You by Leo Sayer and To All The Girls I've Loved Before by Julio Iglasias and Willie Nelson were covers of Albert Hammond tracks.
Old 01-26-11, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Dang, I didn't know that either! It just sounds like... um, Cheap Trick! So I read that is a B-side from The Move released after the members had already started ELO. Interesting.
The Move is a great band to explore. Vastly overlooked. They had some great albums including Shazam! and Message from the COuntry.
Old 01-26-11, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by LiquidSky
Very cool! I never knew this was a cover. Love the original as well as Blondie's version.
I remember The Plimsouls too.
I never realized that Blondie's The Tide Is High was a cover. The original was by a reggae group called The Paragons.
Old 01-26-11, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RagingBull80
I can't remember if this one has been mentioned in the thread or not but I bet most people don't know that Three Dog Night didn't write "One." It's a cover of a Harry Nilsson track.
It should be noted that the majority of Three Dog Night hits are covers. For instance, Sammy Davis Jr recorded Black And White in the late 50's, and recorded again by Greyhound in 1971 before Three Dog Night took it to No.1 in 1972.
Old 01-26-11, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was also surprised to learn that Brother Louie by Stories was a cover. The cover was a No.1 hit in America in 1973, but was a UK hit six months earlier by the group Hot Chocolate.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.