Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Cover Songs You Didn't Realize Were Covers

Old 01-22-09, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Cover Songs You Didn't Realize Were Covers

Anthrax covered Joe Jackson?
Old 01-22-09, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by aintnosin View Post
"Knockin' on Heaven's Door" I can understand but how can someone who frequents a movie web site NOT know that "Live and Let Die" was a cover of the Bond theme song?
You can understand "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" even though it's been covered for decades by everyone from the Grateful Dead to Eric Clapton to sadly Warren Zevon?
Old 01-22-09, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Anthrax covered Joe Jackson?
Yep it's from his album Look Sharp. They just sped it up a bit and made it a heavier. The original version is actually not too much different from the cover but I'm really digging it more and more than the cover of late.
Old 01-22-09, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Numanoid View Post
Marilyn Manson and/or Foo Fighters Down in the Park is a Gary Numan cover...
I always wondered who wrote the original song. Christian Death covered the song in the 80's before Manson & Foo so for a while I thought it was them.
Old 01-22-09, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I went for a long time not knowing Judas Priest's "Diamonds and Rust" was a Joan Baez cover.
Old 01-22-09, 09:35 PM

Always thought Hanging on the Telephone was a Blondie song, found out it wasn't the case. Probably some others too.
Old 03-06-09, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So I have to add another one to the thread, I had heard of Pere Ubu before but didn't realize that Peter Murphy's song "Final Solution" was a cover and Pere Ubu originally did it. After listening to both versions, I think it's one of the few examples where I like the cover more than the original.

As for Hanging on the Telephone, yes it was originally by The Nerves. Cat Power did a great albeit abbreviated cover of it for a Cingular commercial a few years back. Unfortunately as seems to be the trend with her covers used in commercials (Space Oddity in the Lincoln ad and the Cat Steven's cover in the jewelry ad), she didn't record the full song just the 30 second version in the commercial.
Old 03-07-09, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Case01 View Post
Always thought Hanging on the Telephone was a Blondie song, found out it wasn't the case.
Was just about to post that
Old 03-07-09, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Living Deadpan View Post
I went for a long time not knowing Judas Priest's "Diamonds and Rust" was a Joan Baez cover.
Priest's "Green Manalishi" was originally done by Fleetwood Mac,where it was written by their front man,guitarist Peter Green,during their bluesy days.

Green wrote & recorded another tune for Mac that became the signature song for Carlos Santana, "Black Magic Woman".
Old 03-07-09, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i didn't realize "Mad World" was a cover. i love the gary jules version, hell i even love the Evergreen Terrece verison
Old 03-07-09, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

All of P. Diddy's songs. I had no clue...

But seriously I didnt know "Nothing Compares 2 U" by Sinead O'Connor was a remake til only a few years ago.
Old 03-08-09, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Rypro 525 View Post
i didn't realize "Mad World" was a cover. i love the gary jules version, hell i even love the Evergreen Terrece verison
yep, Tears for Fears.
Old 03-08-09, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I didn't realize Cowboy Mouth's cover of Jenny Says was a cover until it was mentioned on Coverville.
Old 03-08-09, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by rw2516 View Post
Never knew Linda Ronstadt's "You're No Good" was a cover till I heard the original by Betty Everett from 1963-64.
Everett's version was also a cover. The original artist was Dee Dee Warwick

Link
Old 03-10-09, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I really can't think of any. But then, I'm a bit of a nut when it comes to reading liner notes and songwriting credits.
Old 03-10-09, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by gmal2003 View Post
But seriously I didnt know "Nothing Compares 2 U" by Sinead O'Connor was a remake til only a few years ago.
Prince's original version is the one I like the least, actually. Jimmy Scott's rendition completely bowls me over everytime I hear it, though.
Old 03-11-09, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As a child of the 80s, I knew that the Pet Shop Boys' "Always On My Mind" was a cover... but I was under the impression that Willie Nelson sang the original (it's not as crazy as it sounds - Nelson did write "Crazy" for Patsy Cline, so I thought maybe he wrote it before Elvis sang it). Come to find out, Brenda Lee sang it originally, so I was wrong on all counts.

Also, The Regents originally sang "Barbara Ann" (not the Beach Boys) and Otis Redding originally sang "Respect" (not Aretha Franklin).

Oh, and (while not a cover song), "Georgia On My Mind" was originally about a woman named Georgia, not the state. The song makes a lot more sense when you know that.
Old 01-06-11, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Hank Ringworm View Post
Took a while for me to find out that David Gray's "Say Hello, Wave Goodbye" was originally done by some crappy 80s British synth duo. Took longer to accept it.

Speaking of covers, I thought it was hilarious that Tom Waits's VH1 Storytellers featured him playing "Downtown Train" (famously sung by Rod Stewart), "Jersey Girl" (famously sung by Bruce Springsteen), "Ol' '55" (famously sung by The Eagles), and another I can't think of right now. Talk about the original performer of famous covers getting a fair shake.
Soft Cell (the crappy 80s synth duo) is much more well known, and probably well-paid, than David Gray. I'm not sure he had any hits that most people would recognize!
Old 01-06-11, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by 12thmonkey View Post
I didn't make the connection until recently that on R.E.M.'s 1987 release Document the song Strange was a Wire cover. I had completely blanked out Wire's Pink Flag disc from 1977...
I was just getting into Wire about the time R.E.M. did the cover, i think Wire is one of the most under-rated (or at least under-heard, the critics and rock writers lover them) bands of all time, though I don't see much of a connection between R.E.M. and Wire, though I love them both.
Old 01-06-11, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by nothingfails View Post
well, with due respect, the internet wasn't really big yet when GNR's Live And Let Die was on the charts
I try to be patient and remember that not everyone is a rock history and movie fanatic like myself, especially with my own children who are still young. But seriously, they don't have a classic rock station or TBS where you live?
Old 01-08-11, 03:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I did not know that Whitney Houston's "I will always love you" is in fact a Dolly Parton song. I found this out recently.
Old 01-08-11, 04:26 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

"I Hung My Head" by Johnny Cash (originally Sting)
"Blueberry Hill" by Fats Domino (originally Gene Autry)
"Me and Bobby McGee" by Janis Joplin (originally Kris Kristofferson)
"Red Red Wine" by UB40 (originally Neil Diamond)

The Led Zeppelin's songs ripped-off from old Blues songs.
Old 01-08-11, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

With everyone getting music from the internets and the lack of people buying albums w/ liner notes and all that these days, I suspect that there's going to be many many more songs that no one will know are covers.

I am totally shocked that someone never knew that Disturbed doing "Fade To Black" was a cover. Back in my day, we'd buy an album (vinyl), put it on the turntable and while it was playing we'd read the lyrics and liner notes and look at the pictures on the sleeve until the album was over. You'd know everything about an album and where it was recorded and who was thanked and who wrote the songs by the time the 40 minutes was up. I guess those days are long gone.
Old 01-08-11, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Didn't see it posted but i recall The Doors did a cover song. I cant remember the title. Anyone know which one i'm thinking of?
Old 01-08-11, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Alabama Song? Back Door Man? Crawling King Snake?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.