DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Ron Asheton (The Stooges) found dead (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/547233-ron-asheton-stooges-found-dead.html)

auto 01-06-09 11:13 AM

Ron Asheton (The Stooges) found dead

http://www.reverendguitars.com/rever...asheton_lg.jpg

from the AP:

The Stooges guitarist Ron Asheton found dead at 60

ANN ARBOR, Mich. – Punk guitarist Ron Asheton of The Stooges has been found dead in his Ann Arbor home. He was 60.

City police Sgt. Brad Hill says there were no signs of foul play, and the death appeared to be of natural causes.

Hill says officers discovered Asheton early Tuesday after they were called to his home around midnight by an associate who hadn't heard from him in several days.

Asheton was an original member of The Stooges, the influential protopunk band founded in Ann Arbor in 1967. Asheton's brother, Scott, was the band's drummer.

Asheton's distorted guitar was a hallmark of the Iggy Pop-led group's late-1960s and early-1970s sound. He was named the 29th greatest guitarist of all time in 2003 by Rolling Stone.

-----------------------

Having grown up just outside of Ann Arbor, I've always loved The Stooges and this is sad news. Great guitarist who will be missed. :(

arminius 01-06-09 11:23 AM

Re: Ron Asheton (The Stooges) found dead

I got their second album on release and then bought everyting they ever did. Great band and a great guitarist.

Lastyear 01-06-09 11:49 AM

He will be missed. I was a teen in the 60's and remember seeing the Stooges on a regular basis.

atlantamoi 01-06-09 01:49 PM

Wow, you guys were in on it. Pretty cool. But sad hearing he died at a relatively young-ish age. Makes it more special that they were able to get back together and bang things around live recently.

Supermallet 01-06-09 01:56 PM

This sucks. And I didn't get to see them when they last came through on tour. Ron, you will be missed. I will listen to Funhouse this evening in memoriam.

NoirFan 01-06-09 04:50 PM

R.I.P. Ron. "I Wanna Be Your Dog" has some hellishly awesome guitar on it.

The Antipodean 01-06-09 05:01 PM

A great primal guitarist. I really enjoyed the "comeback" Stooges album "The Weirdness" too although I know some didn't, a wonderfully ramshackle lump of "dumb rock 'n' roll" that was great fun. Glad he lived long enough for The Stooges to get a bit of their due.

dvduser6 01-06-09 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet (Post 9178774)
This sucks. And I didn't get to see them when they last came through on tour. Ron, you will be missed. I will listen to Funhouse this evening in memoriam.

Ditto. I picked up the special edition of "Funhouse" last year and fell in love with it instantly. Cueing it up now...

nodeerforamonth 01-06-09 10:04 PM

Sad news. HUGE influence on almost all the music I listen to.

macnorton 01-07-09 08:50 AM

As far as I am concerned The Stooges invented punk rock...and this is a major loss in that community.

Tyler_Durden 01-07-09 08:52 AM

Ron Asheton's death has affected me in a major way, as has the Stooges' music. It breaks my heart to think that this great band's story has now come to an abrupt end. One of the coolest things on the planet is no more. I got to see them twice in recent years, but it wasn't enough. Very sad.

Chaza 01-07-09 08:32 PM

This sucks, I am glad I got to see him with the Stooges in 03.

RagingBull80 01-08-09 12:32 AM

This makes me really sad...

rexinnih 01-08-09 11:41 AM

RIP Ron. Thanks for contributing to some great music.

nateman 01-08-09 12:11 PM

RIP Ron

Toddarino 03-16-14 09:28 PM

Scott Asheton passed away yesterday. He was 64.

JumpCutz 03-17-14 12:09 AM

Yeah. Bummer. :sad:

The Stooges...simply put, one of the 10 best rock bands of all-time. Hugely influential and as ridiculous as it sounds...incredibly underrated.