Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

-=- David Bowie Fans, Help?? -=-

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

-=- David Bowie Fans, Help?? -=-

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-09, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mickey65
Young Americans is my all-time favorite of his.
mine too.

Suprmallet does have the list to use though...nice work.
Old 01-05-09, 02:13 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: -=- David Bowie Fans, Help?? -=-

Originally Posted by RagingBull80
I would personally avoid Young Americans.
Blasphemy! How can you dislike such great tracks as "Win," "Can You Hear Me" and "Right"?? Not to mention the classic title song.

Originally Posted by RagingBull80
And get the old-school Ryko versions if you can. They sound really good and have bonus tracks on all of them except Aladdin Sane.
The EMI ones sound better than the Rykodiscs, and all the bonus tracks from the Rykodisc albums were amended to the new Sound+Vision box set or the double disc EMI editions, which I think to date they've only done for Ziggy, Aladdin, and Diamond Dogs.
Old 01-05-09, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think your tolerance for 70's soul depends on if you'll like YA or not. I personally love the likes of Al Green and Bobby Womack, which was what Bowie was striving for with.

I didn't like it much at first, but as I've gotten older and opened my musical horizons, I think the album ranks with the classics
Old 01-05-09, 03:10 PM
Cool New Member

I guess part of my problem is that I know Bowie mostly for the classic rock singles that you hear on most Classic Rock stations. I understand that many artists are best heard by listening to an entire album. So, I am looking forward to checking out some of the 70s Bowie -in its entirety.
Old 01-05-09, 05:02 PM
Banned by request

Definitely. Let us know what you think.
Old 01-05-09, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slashdot87
I guess part of my problem is that I know Bowie mostly for the classic rock singles that you hear on most Classic Rock stations. I understand that many artists are best heard by listening to an entire album. So, I am looking forward to checking out some of the 70s Bowie -in its entirety.
classic rock stations almost ruined Led Zeppelin and The Rolling Stones for me.
Old 01-05-09, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I dunno about the stations you listen to, but the Classic Rock stations here suck when it comes to Bowie. I've only heard Changes and Fame (well, Under Pressure too, but Queen generally gets more airplay than Bowie) on the stations here. No Jean Genie, No Rebel Rebel, No Heroes, No Golden Years, No Space Oddity, No Starman, etc...
Old 01-05-09, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

This is so difficult to respond to as Bowie's career has been so eclectic and he constantly keeps reinventing himself. Do yourself a favor and just pickup a decent sized greatest hits release.
Old 01-05-09, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heathen

Hunky Dory

The Man Who Sold The World

Station To Station

Hours

I LOVE the OOP 2 CD set 'The Singles: 1969-1993'. Man I'm glad I have a copy of that.
Old 01-05-09, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
To Release Code: dmgjs-gjs3h5-fnsb2h6-cjsh1f-dhqb6lb-pnlkdoz9-c982rj-fdgfa-34-3kcsahg

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
I LOVE the OOP 2 CD set 'The Singles: 1969-1993'. Man I'm glad I have a copy of that.
Is it just singles? If so, what's special about it? Or does it have rare remixes, etc?
Old 01-05-09, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

Singles 1969-1993 is definitely the best Bowie collection ever assembled. nice hits from all his eras.

My top 25 Bowie songs (poached from a blog post I did a few years back):

1. Space Oddity (Space Oddity, 1969) - Spaced-out and lost, the song that inspired everyone from Yo La Tengo to Wilco.
2. Quicksand (Hunky Dory, 1971) - The best of Bowie's early "ambiguously gay crooner" phase, where his reach often exceeded his grasp. This song is pretentious, but there's a real pathos lurking beneath the wordplay.
3. Ziggy Stardust (The Rise And Fall of Ziggy Stardust, 1972) - Thirty-plus years on, there hasn't been a better song about being in a rock 'n' roll band.
4. Lady Stardust (The Rise And Fall of Ziggy Stardust, 1972) - Gorgeously lonely cabaret.
5. Waiting For The Man (Bowie at the Beeb, 2000) - Recorded in 1972 for the BBC, this sleazy, grooved-out cover of the Velvet Underground tune actually bests the original in my humble view.
6. Diamond Dogs (Diamond Dogs, 1974) – Raunchy and spastic, the last sputter of Bowie's "Ziggy" era of decadent glam rock; but what a farewell!
7. Young Americans (Young Americans, 1975) - Bowie's plastic soul phase, and an ironic anthem that still feels kind of fresh and electric.
8. Station To Station (Station To Station, 1976) - Ten minutes of soaring rise and fall, apocalypse and redemption, Bowie's single most epic track.
9. Sound And Vision (Low, 1977) - A sweetly sinister ode to the power of music.
10. Warszawa (Low, 1977) – The best encapsulation of the still-futuristic instrumentals Bowie and Brian Eno created; an instrumental glimpse into a fragmented, eerie parallel world.
11. "Heroes" ("Heroes," 1977) – The finest of Bowie's "dreamer" songs, about love that just won't last, and a well-deserved classic.
12. Look Back In Anger (Lodger, 1979) — Gloom-ridden, hook-filled doomsday rock, about the approach of death or something stranger still?
13. Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps) (Scary Monsters, 1980) - If I had to pick a single Bowie album as my favorite, 1980's album of this title would likely be it, covered in jittery angst and with a melancholy danceable heart.
14. Teenage Wildlife (Scary Monsters, 1980) – A yearning, murky yet urgent anthem.
15. Ashes To Ashes (Scary Monsters, 1980) – Goodbye to the past, but what lies ahead?
16. Let's Dance (Let's Dance, 1983) – "Sell out" or utterly perfect pop escapism? I favor the latter.
17. China Girl (Let's Dance, 1983) —Evocative of the foreign shores where I'd one day end up living. Its slightly patronizing colonialism still hints at the mysteries of the wider world.
18. As The World Falls Down ("Labyrinth" soundtrack, 1987) - Ultra-cheeseball choice, but I've a soft spot for the Bowie/Jim Henson fantasy collaboration, and this one fairy-tale romance song by Bowie as the Goblin King always stuck with me, even when I saw "Labyrinth" in the theater three times at age 15.
19. Run (Tin Machine, 1990) – Everyone maligns Bowie's Tin Machine phase, but I still thought there were some fine hard-rock tracks in amongst the filler. This tune always puts me in mind of the summer of 1990.
20. Miracle Goodnight (Black Tie White Noise, 1993) – "Black Tie" is a little too fluffy an album for me, but the boppy bliss of this Bowie-as-lothario tune always gets me to smile.
21. The Buddha of Suburbia (Buddha of Suburbia soundtrack, 1993) – Lost through much of the late 1980s and 1990s, it took a BBC soundtrack for Bowie to start finding his muse again; this ode to a life long gone is one of his most heartfelt ballads.
22. Hallo Spaceboy (Outside, 1995) - Bowie goes industrial in this chaotic dance tune, backed by a killer drumbeat. From the muddled yet fierce concept album "Outside," which boasted some of Bowie's strongest music in years.
23. The Heart's Filthy Lesson (Outside, 1995) - Another killer "Outside" tune, slinky and sinuous; the disturbing video makes Bowie seem truly dangerous for the first time in years.
24. The Last Thing You Should Do (Earthling, 1997) - Bowie's drum & bass experiments continue, with this seething, staticky explosion of a song, like a distant cousin to the angst of "Scary Monsters."
25. Bring Me The Disco King (Reality, 2003) - Bittersweet and nostalgic, a nervous cousin to "Station To Station," looking back at the years and as naked emotionally as anything Bowie's ever done.

Last edited by The Antipodean; 01-05-09 at 11:45 PM.
Old 01-06-09, 02:40 AM
Banned by request

Re: To Release Code: dmgjs-gjs3h5-fnsb2h6-cjsh1f-dhqb6lb-pnlkdoz9-c982rj-fdgfa-34-3kc

Originally Posted by The Bus
Is it just singles? If so, what's special about it? Or does it have rare remixes, etc?
It's all A-sides, but he released some single-only songs that are somewhat hard to find, although again at this point most are on the new Sound+Vision box set. Aside from that, it's just a good selection of songs from his various albums, the man knew which tracks to release as singles. The biggest problem is that it has the butchered single version of "Heroes." Personally, I think the EMI collections (1969-1974, 1975-1979, 1980-1989) are a very good overview when taken together.
Old 01-06-09, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
The EMI ones sound better than the Rykodiscs, and all the bonus tracks from the Rykodisc albums were amended to the new Sound+Vision box set or the double disc EMI editions, which I think to date they've only done for Ziggy, Aladdin, and Diamond Dogs.
There are actually many tracks from the Ryko versions that aren't on the new Sound+Vision box. The only stuff that was really added was post 1980 stuff. I only have the first version of S+V because I really don't care for much after '80.
Old 01-06-09, 10:27 AM
Banned by request

Yes, but again, a lot of those tracks have shown up on the double disc versions of Ziggy, Aladdin, and Diamond Dogs. I could have sworn they were going to do these for all of his 70's albums, but I guess they stopped for the time being.
Old 01-06-09, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm with RagingBull80 re: Rykodisc vs. EMI; if you can find them, go with the Ryko series, as I find the sound to be much better. If it makes any sense (and it probably doesn't), the EMI CDs sound very...sterile, whereas the Ryko CDs sound warmer to my ears. Perhaps I'm biased though, because when Elvis Costello's catalog was reissued a second time by Rhino a few years back, I still preferred the sound of the earlier Rykodisc CDs to them. Plus, some of those bonus tracks are outstanding.

And for the love of God, please do not get the Sound+Vision boxset, at least not until you've gone through all his 1970 - 1980 albums. It's heavy on rarities, outtakes and album tracks, with the occasional hit song thrown in. And truth be told, aside from a handful of cuts, it's not even that great of a listen (the 2003 reissue, which adds a fourth disc covering '87 - '97, makes even less worth your money, since it's heavy on easily available material).
Old 01-06-09, 02:07 PM
Banned by request

The new Sound+Vision box set is the only place to get a remastered version of the original Cat People (Putting Out Fire), as well as It's Hard To Be A Saint In The City, which makes the Springsteen version sound like it was done by an amateur. Those two cuts alone make it worth a purchase at some point. I'm sure you can find a good deal on a used copy.
Old 01-06-09, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The new Sound+Vision box set is the only place to get a remastered version of the original Cat People (Putting Out Fire), as well as It's Hard To Be A Saint In The City, which makes the Springsteen version sound like it was done by an amateur.
I'm afraid to hear it then.
Old 01-06-09, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

IMO, nothing comes close to Hunky Dory and Ziggy.

Scary Monsters is good too. Robert Fripp
Old 01-06-09, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

the reason I like Low so much is the song "Be My Wife" which is, perhaps, my favorite Bowie song. "Moonage Daydream" off of Ziggy Stardust.... is also up there. Check out "Rock n Roll Suicide" too.
Old 01-06-09, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bowie's cover of "It's So Hard to Be a Saint in the City" is fantastic, which is odd seeing as how the obligatory cover on each Bowie album is generally the low point of the record (his versions of "Across the Universe" and "Let's Spend the Night Together" in particular are atrocious).

Yet I really like his all-covers album Pin-Ups...go figure.
Old 01-06-09, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Station to Station is my favorite album, but I really dig Reality of his latest albums. Don't care for Heathen too much. And Letter to Hermione off Space Oddity is one of the most beautiful songs ever.
Old 01-06-09, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: To Release Code: dmgjs-gjs3h5-fnsb2h6-cjsh1f-dhqb6lb-pnlkdoz9-c982rj-fdgfa-34-3kc

Originally Posted by The Bus
It was already said, but that set has all those popular songs together in one set so it's great for the cross country road trips I sometimes do.

Beyond just having all those great songs, there is a really cool flow to those CD's. Someone put some thought into the order of the tracks.
Old 01-06-09, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great place to bulk up your DB collection.
Old 01-07-09, 10:33 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
Beyond just having all those great songs, there is a really cool flow to those CD's. Someone put some thought into the order of the tracks.
Um...The Singles Collection is in chronological order of the release date of the singles.
Old 01-07-09, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Um...The Singles Collection is in chronological order of the release date of the singles.
Then I guess it was BOWIE that put some thought into it then didn't he?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.