Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

U2: No Line on the Horizon - March 3rd, 2009

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 12-18-08, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

01. "No Line On The Horizon"
02. "Magnificent"
03. "Moment of Surrender"
04. "Unknown Caller"
05. "I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight"
06. "Get On Your Boots"
07. "Stand Up Comedy"
08. "Fez - Being Born"
09. "White As Snow"
10. "Breathe"
11. "Cedars Of Lebanon"

from pitchfork (and widely reported):

Modestly successful Irish rock'n'roll band U2 have announced that their 12th album, No Line on the Horizon, will be released by Interscope on March 3, 2009 in North America. Brian Eno, Daniel Lanois, and Steve Lillywhite contributed production. It appears that will.i.am did not. Guess Kanye was wrong.

Billboard.com reports that the Horizon tracklist is expected to include "Moment of Surrender", "Unknown Caller", and the title track.

Also, U2 were recently added to the list of contributors to the War Child benefit album Heroes, out in February.

I searched for a pre-existing thread but didn't come up with anything. Seems strange we wouldn't have one so my apologies in advance for when you:

1) Find a pre-existing thread
2) Point me toward it
3) Make a snarky comment
4) Post a mad smilie

Last edited by auto; 01-16-09 at 08:02 AM.
Old 12-18-08, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Well, there is this one: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/...il-2009-a.html

You know, you could have just searched for "Bono" when you found that "U2" was too few letters.

Old 12-18-08, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice to have a concrete release date for this one. Can't wait, though I was definitely underwhelmed by their last album.
Old 12-18-08, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by auto
It appears that will.i.am did not. Guess Kanye was wrong.
Well, the band did work with him recently:

The Black Eyed Peas haven't released a record since 2005's Monkey Business, but frontman Will.i.am hasn't exactly been slacking off. The sometime CNN hologram and recent Grammy nominee is prepping their spring 2009 album, The E.N.D., with super-top-secret recordings with U2 in London (''I can't say anything!'' he swears). He'll also portray a mutant in the upcoming X-Men Origins: Wolverine; he's signed a ''seriously dope'' new electro duo, LMFAO; and he just started an interactive website, Dipdive, to showcase his in-progress solo recordings. ''We're being aggressive,'' he says, ''and trying to redefine what an album is. I'm moving away from the record business and starting the experience business.'' — Leah Greenblatt

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20246103,00.html
Old 12-18-08, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Drexl
Well, there is this one: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/...il-2009-a.html

You know, you could have just searched for "Bono" when you found that "U2" was too few letters.

well done
Old 12-21-08, 12:49 AM

Limited Edition Boxed Set is set for pre-order at amazon.com at a ridicolous price tag of $ 95.98.

Product Description says,
No Line On The Horizon, the new studio album from U2, will be released on Tues, March 3, 2009. The band’s 12th studio album calls on the production talents of long-time collaborators Brian Eno and Danny Lanois, with additional production by Steve Lillywhite. The album will be available in 5 different packages.

This version is a deluxe limited-edition-collectors item: packaged in a special box, album CD in a cardboard folded sleeve w/ 36 page color booklet and fold out poster. Box also includes 60-page hard cover book plus an additional fold-out poster and a DVD of the new film from Anton Corbijn featuring the music of U2 in a slip case cover
This better be good.
Old 12-21-08, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 203 Likes on 117 Posts
U2 To Sell Five Versions Of New Album - One With Almost $100 List Price | U2 news article from @U2

U2 To Sell Five Versions Of New Album - One With Almost $100 List Price

Amazon.com listings show formats ranging from standard CD to full Box Set

@U2, December 19, 2008

Matt McGee

U2 will release five different versions of their next album, No Line On The Horizon, with one version carrying a list price of almost $100 (USD). That's according to product listings on Amazon.com tonight. All five are listed with a March 3, 2009, release date.

Officially, U2 has only announced the album's name and release date; no details have been shared about different formats. Earlier this year, though, manager Paul McGuinness hinted to BBC radio that the new album's release would be unique: "We will obviously work with whatever technology is available to make the release of the new record as interesting as possible."

The first two formats on Amazon.com are standard CD and vinyl releases:

Audio CD ($13.98 list price)

Vinyl (2 LP) ($17.98 list price)

There are also three "limited editions" listed, each with unique bonus material:

Digi-pack version (CD/Poster/Film Download) ($35.98 list price)

Magazine version (CD/Magazine/Film Download) ($49.98 list price)

Box Set version (CD/Poster/Book/DVD) ($95.98 list price)

None of the individual product pages provides any more information than what's in the name of the product. Amazon UK also lists five versions of No Line On The Horizon, but the product descriptions aren't as detailed; one listing, though, does refer to a "Hardback Book" -- likely the same item in the "Box Set" listed on Amazon.com.
Old 12-21-08, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
You'd think the film could be on Blu-ray for that price.
Old 12-21-08, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts
So wait, what sort of a film is it? A U2 documentary or some sort of art film with music by U2?
Old 12-22-08, 12:12 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
First prove to me that the music is good (i.e. better than their last three albums), then we can talk about $100 price tags.
Old 12-22-08, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"Modestly successful"?
Old 12-22-08, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
First prove to me that the music is good (i.e. better than their last three albums), then we can talk about $100 price tags.
I've got such low expectations (sadly). Maybe it will be great, but the title of the album is already fairly banal.
Old 12-22-08, 08:00 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
Is it cool to not like their last couple albums? Too many singles? Too many Grammy awards? I always thought the albums were a great return to form after the Zooropa/Pop experiments of the 90s. It will be interesting to see how the new one turns out.
Old 12-22-08, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I enjoyed "All that you can't leave behind" and for me it ranks 3rd behind "Joshua Tree" and "Achtung Baby!". "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" was just OK for me...nothing special. We'll see what happens with the new album but I'm definitely looking forward to it!

Last edited by Setzer; 12-24-08 at 11:34 AM.
Old 12-23-08, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts
Originally Posted by Setzer
I enjoyed "All that you can't leave behind" and for me it ranks 3rd behind "Joshua Tree" and "Achtung Baby!". "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" was just OK for me...nothing special.
That's exactly how I feel as well.
Old 12-23-08, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I can't wait for the new album. Like others, I loved All that you Can't Leave Behind, and wasn't as impressed with Bomb, but I still liked it.
Old 12-23-08, 07:32 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by PerryD
Is it cool to not like their last couple albums? Too many singles? Too many Grammy awards? I always thought the albums were a great return to form after the Zooropa/Pop experiments of the 90s. It will be interesting to see how the new one turns out.
I don't know if other people rag on them for the sake of being cool. For me, though, as much as I love their 80's albums, Achtung Baby and Zooropa are my favorite U2 albums. And to see them go from the stunning musical statements of those albums to AOR junk like HTDAAB is just sad and disappointing.
Old 12-23-08, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I don't know if other people rag on them for the sake of being cool. For me, though, as much as I love their 80's albums, Achtung Baby and Zooropa are my favorite U2 albums. And to see them go from the stunning musical statements of those albums to AOR junk like HTDAAB is just sad and disappointing.
careful. last time we had this discussion, we were told it's not allowed...

in any case, i'm with you. AB is hands down their best IMHO. even though Pop was pretty lame, it was way more adventurous than the last two. and I LIKE ATYCLB.

my money is on this next one being great. i have faith!
Old 12-23-08, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
North American tour, please.
Old 12-24-08, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Hmm...Pop actually grows on me with each listen. I love 'If God Will Send His Angels'.
Old 12-24-08, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I still enjoy U2, so I'm always ready for new music.
Old 12-24-08, 12:05 PM
FM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Alvis
Hmm...Pop actually grows on me with each listen. I love 'If God Will Send His Angels'.
Oddly enough, that's the song that got me into U2. I had previously only listened to country music, but when I heard the song on The City of Angels soundtrack, I was hooked.

I love Pop, with maybe the exception of Miami. I like U2 at their best when they're kinda funky, so the 90s are probably my favorite, though I do love their music from every era. As for HTDAAB, I really enjoy City of Blinding Lights, Original of the Species, and Crumbs from your Table.
Old 12-25-08, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 211 Likes on 184 Posts
High Five: U2 Unveils Album Configurations

U2's upcoming album, " No Line on the Horizon," will be available in five different incarnations, the glitziest of which carries a $96 list price on Amazon.com. The set is due March 2 internationally and the following day in North America.

Beyond the standard CD and double vinyl packages, "Horizon" will be offered in three additional limited editions.

The digi-pack version, which lists for $35.98, has the CD in a cardboard folded sleeve with a 36-page booklet, a fold-out poster and "a new film from Anton Corbijn featuring the music of U2," the latter of which is available as a download.

The magazine version, for $49.98, finds the CD housed in "a special 60-page soft cover magazine-style book," and also includes the downloadable Corbijn film.

Lastly, the box set version comes, naturally, in a box with a 60-page hardcover book, a second poster and the Corbijn film on DVD.

Although the track list for "No Line on the Horizon" has yet to be announced, Q Magazine reports it will feature songs such as "Magnificent," "Stand Up," "Winter," "Breathe," "Every Breaking Wave" and "Crazy Tonight," the latter of which sports as-yet-unspecified contributions from the Black Eyed Peas' will.i.am.

BILLBOARD.com
Old 12-26-08, 02:12 PM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Love their music, but I can't get past the irony that U2 (Bono, Edge, Mullen, Clayton) are one of the most motherfuckinggreedy bands in all of rock history. Yes, I know bands set out/desire to be popular and successful. But U2 have released/re-issued, toured, produced or published some sort of money making product every freaking year for the past 30+ years. And every U2 release/tour gets more and more expensive as years go by. For U2, who set out and strive to be "the band for everyone," (literally, in this case at every price point), one things for sure, their music might not always be the greatest but U2 are truly great at one thing... lining their pockets.

With that being said... must, resist... the.. $100 version! Sonsofbitches!
Old 12-26-08, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by hal9000
Love their music, but I can't get past the irony that U2 (Bono, Edge, Mullen, Clayton) are one of the most motherfuckinggreedy bands in all of rock history. Yes, I know bands set out/desire to be popular and successful. But U2 have released/re-issued, toured, produced or published some sort of money making product every freaking year for the past 30+ years. And every U2 release/tour gets more and more expensive as years go by. For U2, who set out and strive to be "the band for everyone," (literally, in this case at every price point), one things for sure, their music might not always be the greatest but U2 are truly great at one thing... lining their pockets.
not really sure what that has to do with the new album, but i will say i think you're off base. this is their job, right? make music and sell product. we buy it. a lot of it. therefore, they're rich. i'm not sure i think doing your job and making money for it qualifies as greedy.

as for their live shows... you get what you pay for. yeah, u2 and the stones were really expensive, but my lord the production is half of the show.

and to get back on track: i doubt the $100 version will remain that at release point. unless i know exactly what the hell that DVD is all about, i find it to be pointless.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.