Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

U2: No Line on the Horizon - March 3rd, 2009

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

U2: No Line on the Horizon - March 3rd, 2009

Old 02-27-09, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Re: U2: No Line on the Horizon - March 3rd, 2009

Originally Posted by Hollowgen View Post
totally worth the $100 list price
Oh yeah! That book is worth it alone!!

I went with the Digi-pack version for $20 at wherehouse.com. Thanks for the link and the code!
Old 02-27-09, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I'll go standard or digipak. The magazine version is TERRIBLE and the deluxe box is just too damn pricey for not enough stuff IMO...plus I was already considering the Pearl Jam "Ten" super deluxe box, so two expensive sets in one month ain't going to happen.
Old 02-27-09, 09:19 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 453 Likes on 403 Posts

any reviews for this yet?
Old 02-27-09, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by scott1598 View Post
any reviews for this yet?
Spin (3.5 stars)

http://www.spin.com/reviews/u2-no-li...zon-interscope

Rolling Stone (5 stars...weird)

http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/...on_the_horizon

Times Online (3 stars)

http://entertainment.timesonline.co....cle5740885.ece

Guardian (4 stars)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009...on-the-horizon

LA Times (3 stars)

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/musi...o-line-on.html

I'd give this thing 3.5 myself.
Old 02-27-09, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

www.atu2.com has a bunch of reviews as well.
Old 02-27-09, 11:21 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by C-Mart View Post
I almost did it, but the subscription is $50! Still, $50 for a CD of rare tracks not available anywhere else may be worth it. I'll have to talk to the wife about it I guess.
I did it, mostly for the ticket pre-sales.
Got me GA Tickets last time around.
Old 02-27-09, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy View Post
I did it, mostly for the ticket pre-sales.
Got me GA Tickets last time around.
Good point. I'll have to make sure and use that when I talk to the wife about it.
Old 02-27-09, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

This album for me was a real let down. I have been a fan of U2's for the last 20 years and they have had some interesting albums. Of course Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby are the cream of the crop, but albums like All that you Can't Leave Behind, Pop, and HTDAAB were interesting failures. Each had great tracks on them, but my sign of truly great albums are ones where you are not reaching to forward to the next best track. Zooropa was IMO the last good album (and i have read a lot of bad things said about this album, but its worth going back to. A lot of good stuff on it).

No Line on the Horizon so far for me has maybe one song that i find ok. The rest i find poor to plain bad. U2 have gone the way of De Niro. They do the odd thing now and again that are good, but overall they just put out shit (Not talking about their live performances which are always fantastic). I was actually thinking to myself the other day after listening to this album that it might be an idea for them to revisit the whole Zoo Tv thing. It would be very cool to see an update of the Fly and Mcphisto characters with todays technology. Plus getting back to the sound of Achtung Baby is not a bad thing. I know they are older and they will give some BS about wanting to move forward artistically....but if the last few albums are anything to go by, i would prefer they retread old ground. Some of the lyrics on the new album are just awful. All this is not helped by Bono trying to become a saint.
Old 02-27-09, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by atlantamoi View Post
Album isn't a 5 but I would give it a 4.5. I've listened to it at least 12 times now and my opinon hasn't changed since my first listen. Great album!

Last edited by Setzer; 02-27-09 at 01:18 PM.
Old 02-27-09, 03:35 PM

thanks for the review posts guys. sounds like a maybe come Tuesdau. will try to preview some songs prior. any sites have the 30 sec. song links up yet?
Old 02-27-09, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

thanks for the review posts guys. sounds like a maybe come Tuesdau. will try to preview some songs prior. any sites have the 30 sec. song links up yet?
As has been mentioned earlier in this thread, they're already streaming the entire album on their MySpace page.
Old 02-27-09, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So, are they going on tour soon?
Old 02-27-09, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

blog "review" of sorts on allmusic:

http://blog.allmusic.com/2009/2/27/u...n-the-horizon/
Old 02-27-09, 09:22 PM

From what I heard on their broadcast on BBC Radio 1[via XM] today the tour will start in early summer[in the UK afaik].
Old 02-27-09, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty View Post
As has been mentioned earlier in this thread, they're already streaming the entire album on their MySpace page.
whoa...Mr. Salty, getting a little spicy.
Old 02-28-09, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You can listen to the whole of this decidedly underwhelming new album on www.spotify.com

EDIT: ignore me...that will teach me not to read a thread proprly...apologies!

Last edited by RichDB10; 02-28-09 at 03:43 PM.
Old 02-28-09, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by RichDB10 View Post
You can listen to this GREAT new album on www.spotify.com
Fixed.

Old 02-28-09, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You can listen to the whole of this decidedly underwhelming new album on www.spotify.com
Seems kind of spammy to me, and utterly pointless since you have to have an invitation to be able to access that Web site. I judge your post to be decidedly underwhelming!
Old 03-01-09, 03:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty View Post
Seems kind of spammy to me, and utterly pointless since you have to have an invitation to be able to access that Web site. I judge your post to be decidedly underwhelming!

Sorry, wasn't meant to be...hadn't read the the thread properly about MySpace anyway hence me edit otherwise wouldn't have posted.
I rather childishly threw in my own opinion of the album..so, apologies
Old 03-01-09, 04:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by james2025a View Post
but my sign of truly great albums are ones where you are not reaching to forward to the next best track.

.No Line on the Horizon so far for me has maybe one song that i find ok. The rest i find poor to plain bad.
I feel the exact opposite. I have listened to this as a whole every time and don't hit skip at all. I've been a U2 for over 20 years and I think this is up their with their best albums. I can't place it yet, its far to early. What I love about it is, how layered and how diverse each song is. No two songs are similar. This album doesn't have a "sound". This is kinda hard to articulate but I'll try. No two songs on Achtung Baby are the same or really similar, but they all have that "sound". That album sounds like it was all recorded in the same room, on the same day, with the same instruments. NLOTH doesn't have that vibe, which is why some people don't like and its why I love it. I think every song is great, lots of different sounds, and Bono is singing incredible. There is so much passion, energy, and urgency in his voice. (Not that he is usually lacking in these things, but its taken up a notch here). Also he sings in so many different styles. The opening track has that processed "Zooropa" sound, some songs have the "vertigo" rock swagger singing, a few have the "Pride" anthem effect, and he closes the album with an almost spoken word vocal, that is haunting. Crank that tune up on a decent pair of speakers or earbuds and it sounds like he is in the room.

I think it takes months or even years to fully digest and rate an album, my hunch is that this will be considered a masterpiece, 10- 20 years from now. Remember Achtung Baby and Zooropa were considered crap by many hard core fans at the time of the release and are almost universally heralded by fans as two of the best now.

Last edited by shaggy; 03-01-09 at 05:21 AM.
Old 03-01-09, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by shaggy View Post
I feel the exact opposite. I have listened to this as a whole every time and don't hit skip at all. I've been a U2 for over 20 years and I think this is up their with their best albums. I can't place it yet, its far to early. What I love about it is, how layered and how diverse each song is. No two songs are similar. This album doesn't have a "sound". This is kinda hard to articulate but I'll try. No two songs on Achtung Baby are the same or really similar, but they all have that "sound". That album sounds like it was all recorded in the same room, on the same day, with the same instruments. NLOTH doesn't have that vibe, which is why some people don't like and its why I love it. I think every song is great, lots of different sounds, and Bono is singing incredible. There is so much passion, energy, and urgency in his voice. (Not that he is usually lacking in these things, but its taken up a notch here). Also he sings in so many different styles. The opening track has that processed "Zooropa" sound, some songs have the "vertigo" rock swagger singing, a few have the "Pride" anthem effect, and he closes the album with an almost spoken word vocal, that is haunting. Crank that tune up on a decent pair of speakers or earbuds and it sounds like he is in the room.

I think it takes months or even years to fully digest and rate an album, my hunch is that this will be considered a masterpiece, 10- 20 years from now. Remember Achtung Baby and Zooropa were considered crap by many hard core fans at the time of the release and are almost universally heralded by fans as two of the best now.
Agreed!
Old 03-01-09, 04:30 AM

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/g76msqFOh20&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/g76msqFOh20&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

Awesome!! Magnificent is one of the best songs U2 has ever done. Can't wait to see them live!
Old 03-01-09, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 214 Likes on 172 Posts

EDIT: ignore me...that will teach me not to read a thread proprly...apologies!
rich I don't see a problem with this.If you don't like the record then you don't.
Old 03-01-09, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Setzer View Post
<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/g76msqFOh20&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/g76msqFOh20&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

Awesome!! Magnificent is one of the best songs U2 has ever done. Can't wait to see them live!
i never thought i'd say this, but larry mullen jr. is actually starting to look his age!

great video, thanks for sharing.
Old 03-01-09, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Setzer View Post

That was awesome. Thanks.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.