Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Pearl Jam announces the reissue of band’s debut album, ten

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 12-10-08, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PEARL JAM ANNOUNCES THE REISSUE OF BAND’S DEBUT ALBUM, TEN

PEARL JAM ANNOUNCES THE REISSUE OF BAND’S DEBUT ALBUM, TEN:
FOUR SPECIAL EDITION PACKAGES IN STORES MARCH 24, 2009
TEN CLUB PRE-SALE OF SUPER DELUXE BOX SET BEGINS NOW

Album extras include:
Remaster of original Ten album + remix by producer Brendan O’Brien •
DVD of previously unreleased 1992 Pearl Jam MTV Unplugged performance with 5.1 surround sound audio remix • LP of the band’s 1992 “Drop in the Park” concert • Replica of Pearl Jam three-song demo cassette with Eddie Vedder’s original vocal dubs • Recreation of Eddie Vedder composition notebook • Never before seen memorabilia • Bonus tracks and more.

Ten, the debut album that sold 12 million copies and introduced the world to Pearl Jam in 1991, will be reissued in four (4) new and expanded editions. Pre-orders of the Super Deluxe Edition begin today, through the Ten Club at PearlJam.com. All four editions will be available for purchase on March 24, 2009. The reissue of Ten serves as the launch of a planned two-year catalogue re-release campaign leading up to the band’s 20th anniversary in 2011.

Each Ten package will include two versions of the album: the remastered version of the original album PLUS an accompanying remixed version done by the band’s long-time producer, Brendan O’Brien (Bruce Springsteen, AC/DC, Audioslave). Details on specific extras for each of the four packages are listed below.

“The band loved the original mix of Ten, but were also interested in what it would sound like if I were to deconstruct and remix it,” says producer Brendan O’Brien. “The original Ten sound is what millions of people bought, dug and loved, so I was initially hesitant to mess around with that. After years of persistent nudging from the band, I was able to wrap my head around the idea of offering it as a companion piece to the original – giving a fresh take on it, a more direct sound.”

TEN RE-DESIGN
Pearl Jam bassist Jeff Ament, who served as the art director for the original Ten packaging, reprised his role for the reissues collaborating with designer, Andy Fischer, of Cameron Crowe’s Vinyl Films (Into the Wild soundtrack LP, Vanilla Sky soundtrack LP, Harold and Maude anniversary edition soundtrack LP).

"The goal was to assemble the ultimate fan-piece,” explains Fischer. “Something Pearl Jam lovers could pore over as they experience an indelible record all over again, in an entirely new way."

“The original concept was about really being together as a group and entering into the world of music as a true band...a sort of all-for-one deal,” says Jeff Ament. “There were some elements of the original Ten artwork that didn't turn out the way we had hoped, due to time constraints. With this reissue, we’ve been able to take our time and invest resources into making the design the way we had originally intended.”

REPLICA OF PEARL JAM 3-SONG DEMO CASSETTE IN SUPER DELUXE EDITION
In the process of digging through his archives for this project, Ament came across an old cassette marked “Momma-Son” – the fabled original Pearl Jam demo tape featuring the first recorded versions of “Alive,” “Once” and “Footsteps.” Ament and guitarists Stone Gossard and Mike McCready had recorded instrumental tracks of these songs to help solicit a singer for their newly formed band. Mutual friend - and then Red Hot Chili Peppers drummer - Jack Irons suggested they send the tape down to San Diego surfer and little-known singer Eddie Vedder.

Completely inspired by what he heard from these musicians that he then only knew by name, Vedder quickly wrote lyrics, put these vocals to the music tracks and shipped the tape back to Seattle. Upon hearing how Vedder had transformed the songs, Ament, Gossard and McCready asked him to come up to Seattle so they could meet and have an official “tryout” together. Shortly thereafter, Pearl Jam was born. (A replica of the “Momma-Son” cassette will be included in the Super Deluxe Edition of Ten.)

Jeff Ament describes the experience of re-visiting that tape with singer Eddie Vedder:
“I think the first time that Ed or I had opened any of those boxes was a few weeks ago. I knew that the original ‘Momma-Son’ cassette was somewhere, but I hadn’t listened to it in 17, 18, 19 years. It was cool to sit down and play it for the first time with Ed and see his reaction. And to find that 90% of it stayed exactly the same as what ended up on the record. A lot of elements were identical. There was some energy flying around at that point even from 1,300 miles away from Seattle to San Diego.”

THE FOUR EDITIONS OF TEN: ALBUM EXTRAS PER PACKAGE

1. Legacy Edition (2-disc set in mini-LP style slipcase):
· Disc 1: original Ten tracklisting digitally remastered (original mix)
· Disc 2: original Ten tracklisting digitally remastered and remixed by Brendan O’Brien, plus six bonus tracks: “Brother,” “Just a Girl,” “State of Love and Trust,” “Breath and a Scream,” “2,000 Mile Blues” and “Evil Little Goat”
· Re-designed packaging

2. Deluxe Edition (2-disc set plus DVD specially designed hardbound package):
· Disc 2: original Ten tracklisting digitally remastered and remixed by Brendan O’Brien, plus six bonus tracks: “Brother,” “Just a Girl,” “State of Love and Trust,” “Breath and a Scream,” “2,000 Mile Blues” and “Evil Little Goat”
· DVD of Pearl Jam’s previously unreleased 1992 MTV Unplugged performance including never before seen bonus performance of “Oceans” with 5.1 surround sound audio remix

3. Vinyl Collection (2-LP set)
· LP 1: original Ten tracklisting remastered for vinyl
· LP 2: original Ten tracklisting remastered for vinyl and remixed by Brendan O’Brien

4. Super Deluxe Edition (2-disc set plus DVD, 4 LPs and replica cassette in linen-covered, slip-cased clamshell box):
· DVD of Pearl Jam’s previously unreleased 1992 MTV Unplugged performance including never before seen bonus performance of “Oceans” with 5.1 surround sound audio remix
· LP 1: original Ten tracklisting remastered for vinyl
· LP 2: original Ten tracklisting remastered for vinyl and remixed by Brendan O’Brien
· LP 3 & 4: Drop in the Park – Live at Magnuson Park in Seattle on September 20, 1992 (audio mixed by Brendan O’Brien)
· Cassette: replica of original “Momma-Son” Pearl Jam demo cassette featuring “Alive,” “Once” and “Footsteps”
· Package also includes an Eddie Vedder-style composition notebook filled with replica personal notes, images and mementos from the collections of Eddie Vedder and Jeff Ament, a vellum envelope with replicated era-specific ephemera from Pearl Jam’s early work and a two-sided print commemorating the Drop in the Park concert.

Nice!
Old 12-10-08, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
My only complaint is that the Seattle concert is available on LP only. I wish they had a version with the concert on cd.
Old 12-10-08, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Also, I hope they don't go U2 on us and expect us to pay $30-$35 for the 2-disc version.
Old 12-10-08, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 82 Posts
I just want the Unplugged performance
Old 12-10-08, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great news!
Old 12-10-08, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
Probably one of the best albums of all time. Oceans is the only song that gets skipped. My band covered Garden at a show and people thought it was our own song (which was nice), but it just shows you how well it holds up. Even Flow is ridiculous.

I'm in for the Deluxe with the DVD, although I've had a board copy of the full show for like 10 years now, lol.

Also, I'm pretty sure that the official name is just "breath" like it is on the single soundtrack, and almost positive that it's demo name was "SCORE" not "Scream".

Oh well, awesome news regardless.
Old 12-10-08, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
The Super Deluxe Edition makes me a little I am no longer a collector. It sounds very cool.
Old 12-10-08, 12:43 PM

Wow. Does this make my original press of Ten on vinyl worthless?

j/k.
Old 12-10-08, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm getting at least the Deluxe Edition... Unplugged is a huge draw for me - great performance... I love Ten and depending on final prices, may spring for the super deluxe with LP's but since I can't play those on anything, I'm leaning towards not...but it sure does look cool as fuck.
Old 12-10-08, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,345 Likes on 1,519 Posts
In for the Deluxe edition for me.

I wonder how much that Super Deluxe is going to be. I bet at least $100. It looks like a monster.
Old 12-10-08, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by decker View Post
i wonder how much that super deluxe is going to be. I bet at least $100. It looks like a monster.
$140 And you get Free Shipping! Woot!
Old 12-10-08, 01:19 PM

Received 671 Likes on 402 Posts
Thanks for posting this, Kicker of Elves. I'm really surprised I didn't get an email from the Ten Club about this. I may, may, may have to plunk down some cash for the Super Deluxe Edition...
Old 12-10-08, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C'mon Rock Band simul-release!

I'm in for the 2-cd + dvd package.

Last edited by pinata242; 12-10-08 at 01:21 PM.
Old 12-10-08, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm in for the Deluxe. I'm excited to hear the remix.
Old 12-10-08, 02:17 PM
Banned by request

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'll probably get the deluxe edition.
Old 12-10-08, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

In for the Super Deluxe. Spin the Black Circle baby!

Frakkin' awesome!
Old 12-10-08, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Forgive me if I've missed it in the original post, but is the original album going to be in 5.1, or just the Unplugged DVD? I'd love to see a High-Def, 5.1 version of Ten.
Old 12-10-08, 03:56 PM

Debating getting the super deluxe set, but since they're going to be reissuing all of their albums over the next 2 years I think I might wait for a big set for either No Code or Yield and just go with the 2cd/dvd set now. That is if they do the same type of thing for all the albums and not just Ten.
Old 12-10-08, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
I might get this. I sold my original copy of "Ten" when grunge was king and I was sick of hearing how about how great Pearl Jam was when I only thought they "pretty decent". I needed the money and my buddy wanted this CD. I wouldn't mind owning it again.
Old 12-10-08, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Sold...amazing record from an amazing band.

Big thumbs up to the band finally releasing the Unplugged performance. Now if STP and Oasis would get off their asses and release theirs I will be happy.
Old 12-10-08, 05:10 PM

Very exciting news. Ordered my set this morning (after struggling through a VERY slow Pearl Jam website). Here's hoping EACH album gets the same treatment. Should make for an expensive couple of years. A terrific way to commemorate the anniversary of a terrific band.

Last edited by beetyke; 12-10-08 at 05:15 PM.
Old 12-10-08, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Darth Maher View Post
I might get this. I sold my original copy of "Ten" when grunge was king and I was sick of hearing how about how great Pearl Jam was when I only thought they "pretty decent". I needed the money and my buddy wanted this CD. I wouldn't mind owning it again.
Sounds like you are a prime candidate for the Super Deluxe Edition.
Old 12-10-08, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
^ not likely.

Maybe my buddy will buy this and I can buy back my original version.
Old 12-10-08, 05:47 PM

I'll get the regular deluxe edition, since I don't have a record player. I hope they put out Drop in the Park on CD though.
Old 12-10-08, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Darth Maher View Post
^ not likely.

Maybe my buddy will buy this and I can buy back my original version.
I bet you could find a used copy of the original on Amazon for less than $4 shipped. http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...condition=used

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.