Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Pearl Jam announces the reissue of band’s debut album, ten

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Pearl Jam announces the reissue of band’s debut album, ten

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-09, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Pearl Jam announces the reissue of band’s debut album, ten

Originally Posted by dogmatica
I can't wait for the re-release of No Code, honestly. I'm sure me and the other three people who buy it will love it.
I'll be getting it...I can never decide if No Code, Yield or Vs. is my fave PJ record...
Old 04-01-09, 08:09 AM

I'd go with Yield personally, followed by No Code.
Old 04-04-09, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts

Pearl Jam's 'Ten' Reissue Off To Strong Sales Start

Sony Legacy is predicting solid first-week numbers for its reissue of Pearl Jam's 1992 album "Ten"—55,000 total copies sold and, remarkably, 10,000 copies of the collector's edition, which is selling for $140 on the band's Web site and for $124.99 at Best Buy.

The sales of the collector's edition comes thanks to worldwide fan club pre-orders; Legacy Recordings/Sony Music VP of sales Scott Van Horn says the label predicts that during the first week of release it will sell 55,000 copies overall of the four versions of the reissue.

If Sony's predictions are correct, the album will easily lead Billboard's Top Pop Catalog Albums chart. Even if predictions are off, the set is still expected to conquer the chart with ease. The reigning albums for the last two weeks have sold 11,000 and 12,000 copies, respectively; the fan club pre-orders alone would almost beat that.

The list price for the collector's edition is $199.98. The set contains two CDs, four LPs, a DVD of Pearl Jam's previously unreleased "MTV Unplugged" performance, a cassette of demos, replicas of mementos from the collections of singer Eddie Vedder and bassist Jeff Ament, a vellum envelope with more ephemera and a print commemorating a concert from the time. Besides the collector's edition, other versions of the "Ten" reissue include a $40.98 deluxe edition and the $19.98 legacy edition. Van Horn predicts the collector's edition will account for 10% of sales, the deluxe edition for 50% and the legacy edition for 40%. (He adds that the label is having a harder time quickly counting sales of the $24.98 vinyl editions.)

The breakdown of sales is a stark contrast to the percentages for U2's latest album, "No Line on the Horizon," which was also released at multiple price points. During the first week of sales, 92.4% of the copies sold were the standard physical CD and all digital formats, with a $35.98 Digipak accounting for 4.4% of the sales and the $95.98 boxed set accounting for 2% of sales (Over the Counter, Billboard, March 28).
Click Here!

Compare Pearl Jam's numbers to pre-order numbers from another recent reissue, the Beastie Boys' "Paul's Boutique": While sales numbers aren't available to Nielsen SoundScan, Topspin founder Ian Rogers, who helped release the album, told Billboard earlier this month that the highest and lowest price points were the biggest sellers.

Although the prices for the deluxe edition of "Ten" might seem high, they are in line with historical trends. During the first golden age of boxed sets in the late '80s, collections like Eric Clapton's "Crossroads" and Bob Dylan's "Biograph" cost around $60, which would equate to $103 today, adjusted for inflation. Neither of those sets contained books, tapes or other assorted memorabilia, making "Ten" look almost like a bargain.

BILLBOARD.com
Old 04-04-09, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

sounds great
MTV Unplugged DVD, especially SOL&T in 5.1
Brother & Just A Girl

/ on packaging, love the book-type but hate the sleeves. Already have scratched discs.

no videos on dvd
last 2 bonus songs
no lyrics in booklet
Old 04-04-09, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gerrythedon
:
/ on packaging, love the book-type but hate the sleeves. Already have scratched discs.

no videos on dvd
last 2 bonus songs
no lyrics in booklet
All my cons on the re-issue, too. They should have made better protection for the discs, and included the lyrics. The pictures are cool, but I would have preferred the lyrics instead, or in addition too.
Old 04-04-09, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

sounds great
Agreed! The O'Brien remix is great, though the vinyl sounds better due to the whole "loudness wars" on CDs....

MTV Unplugged DVD, especially SOL&T in 5.1
Disagree....edited audio in Oceans, incomplete show (no RITFW, plus between song edits)....I can understand not wanting to pay the royalties involved with a cover song, but the other edits are inexcusable.....

Brother & Just A Girl
Also disagree...re-done vocals on Brother and inferior demo version of Just A Girl....I mean, the songs themselves deserve the thumbs up, but there are better versions of them that should have been used for the definitive release...

last 2 bonus songs
Considering they are barely even "songs" and nothing more than improvs/screwing around, it's not really fair to judge them the same as the other tracks....the band specifically did not want to overlap this with the previously released "Lost Dogs" set, so that's why we didn't get something more like Wash, Dirty Frank, etc.....although the lack of "I've Got A Feeling" on either is suspect (but it probably just goes back to the label not wanting to pay the royalties...)

For anyone else who got the box set like me:
Momma-Son demo cassette
edited and incomplete Drop In The Park concert vinyl
Old 04-04-09, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by WMAangel
Agreed! The O'Brien remix is great, though the vinyl sounds better due to the whole "loudness wars" on CDs....
Is that true? The vinyl is a different master?
Old 04-04-09, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by DamingR
Is that true? The vinyl is a different master?
It would have to be - if it was mastered at the same levels, the record needle wouldn't be able to handle it.
Old 04-05-09, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

... well they should have just added a 3rd cd with B-sides, outtakes, etc. then.
Old 04-06-09, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

This isn't exactly Ten-related, but the other day in the library, I ran across this 7 Cd Live At The Gorge set. 100 live songs over 7 CD? How did I miss that? It's pretty impressive so far.
Anyone else get this set? I wish the packaging was better ( PJ: we know you're enviormentalists, but your fans aren't throwing away your albums -- pony up for some good packaging for a change). Otherwise it's a nice set.
Old 04-06-09, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
This isn't exactly Ten-related, but the other day in the library, I ran across this 7 Cd Live At The Gorge set. 100 live songs over 7 CD? How did I miss that? It's pretty impressive so far.
Anyone else get this set? I wish the packaging was better ( PJ: we know you're enviormentalists, but your fans aren't throwing away your albums -- pony up for some good packaging for a change). Otherwise it's a nice set.
released some time ago! picked it up at costco for a great deal. got a little burned out on their live releases, but this one is pretty enjoyable all the way through.
Old 04-10-09, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Decker
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/...6-26-07-a.html
Old 06-06-10, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Any word on a remastered Deluxe Edition of "5 Against 1" or other albums?
Old 06-06-10, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Any word on a remastered Deluxe Edition of "5 Against 1" or other albums?
You mean "Vs."?
Old 06-06-10, 10:48 AM

Nothing official, but there was this interview with Mike a month ago.

http://music-mix.ew.com/2010/05/07/p...-fringe-score/

So speaking of Pearl Jam, when’s the next anniversary reissue coming out?
Vs.? I wish I knew. [NOTE: PJ Central says they’re not sure yet, maybe fall, nothing definite yet.]

Were you please with how the Ten one came out?
I was very pleased. I think there were four varieties of it? I thought the biggest one was certainly the coolest. Jeff and Eddie, who are really very much our archivists, they still have so much stuff lying around. And Ed took a lot of his own time to be meticulous and go over his notebooks and pictures and memories and ideas, as did Jeff, and I think they spent a lot of love and time doing that, honestly. On Vs., we were just talking about it yesterday backstage — apparently there are some outtakes that were pretty cool. One called, I think, “Indian Beetles” or something like that. Just old tunes from around that time that never made it onto Vs., that Ed had listened to and thought maybe we could throw some lyrics on a few things, and add that to it.
Old 06-06-10, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Go back and check out the first post....you have to love how the original press release had this listed in it:

"The reissue of Ten serves as the launch of a planned two-year catalogue re-release campaign leading up to the band’s 20th anniversary in 2011."

Now it has been almost fifteen months since this release and not even an announcement or tentative release date/time frame for the second one....they'll be lucky to even get the second one out by years end at this rate, much less any of the other promised following re-releases....

(Just to clarify, I don't mind them taking their time for us to get a great product in the end, however they should not have over-promised in their original announcement if it wasn't actually a plan that they realistically wanted to at least try and deliver on....)
Old 06-11-10, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by slop101
You mean "Vs."?
I call it by it's original name.
Old 06-13-10, 01:10 PM
Cool New Member

i like many things like that