Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The Music Talk Mixtape Project II

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-08, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Previously, on the Music Talk Mixtape Project...

When I was in high school I bought 10-pack of blank tapes and gave them to people whose musical tastes I liked. I asked them to make a mixtape for me whenever they could. What I got back is still some of my favorite music. I stumbled on a shoebox of tapes about a year ago and played them in my car's tape player. Most of them were about a decade old.

I think it would be fun to do something like that for us, here.I honestly think you guys can do a great job, and if only a few that participated in the album draft get into this, I'm going to enjoy myself immensely.

<hr>

Last time we did this (2006!) we did a combination of physical media and virtual trucks delivering e-albums. Unfortunately, my CD drive seems to be on its last legs so I will not be able to burn anything. But, I am more than happy to participate and once again serve as the central clearinghouse for each other's information if you indeed want to post/mail things out.

Wenders had this to say last time:

Maybe we restrict this to the first 20 people (or whatever - pick a number) who come up with "the goods". IMO, and this is mainly because I don't like dealing with mail, we could "make" our CDs by creating a zip file containing all the songs and (possibly) cover art, liner notes, etc. Someone not affiliated with DVD Talk could host these files, either by http or ftp. We could have a team of three to four people who would verify the zip files, making sure they aren't corrupted, and that the songs will all fit on one CD. Once verified, they could be uploaded and hosted until a pre-determined date, say, 31 January 2007.
This is what I'd like to do this year just to make it easier.

So, The Rules:

• Make a compilation/mixtape, preferably one that fits on one (or two) CDs. If you wish, create liner notes, cover art, etc. A good size for digital cover art is 600 pixels x 600 pixels. If you want people to print it out, 12cm x 12cm at 300 dpi works as well.
  • Send me the link to your mix. Do not post any material here that may violate copyrights.
  • I will contact everyone who has sent in a mix and they will get instructions on how to get the mixes. I may do this gradually (1x week) or all at once depending on the response.
  • This project ends December 31, 2008, but try to have your mixes in by mid-December if possible.

Tips & Tricks:
  • When you PM me, please include an email where I can send you more information along with your mix, a download URL, and a title (if applicable).
  • If you can, try not to use Rapidshare, as it limits downloads by users. Other options include divshare, megaupload, zshare, and sendspace.

Last time we did shipping of CDs and stuff but for dasmonkey's sake (who did not get his for a long time, thanks to me), let's keep it easy and digital this time around.

Last edited by The Bus; 12-02-08 at 07:51 AM.
Old 11-26-08, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
call dibs

Do you think i should do a theme or more of a genre and stick with it, or just a bunch of random songs that i think people should hear?

This ought to be fun! Also, i'll be sure to get done in time, so you all can actually get a chance to review my choices

Last edited by Rypro 525; 11-26-08 at 12:37 PM.
Old 11-26-08, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Count me in!!!!!!!

This will be fun.
Old 11-26-08, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would be down with this.
Old 11-26-08, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Rypro, do whatever think is best. Try to make it cohesive (even if the songs are disparate) instead of just a bunch of songs together.

If you are artwork-inclined, it would be fun to post it before you have the mix done.
Old 11-26-08, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm in.

= J
Old 11-26-08, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i have little to no photoshop skills. Maybe if i can come up with an idea you could make it for me.

Also its great having a large mp3 player on shuffle, since i can hear two songs back to back that may not be in the same genre,but for some bizzare reason, go together.
Also, is there a good program out there that could do volume boosting that would actually transfer over into the mp3 file (with itunes you can technically have volume boosting, but when the file gets made into an mp3 and goes onto the player, it stays at the same volume as was originally recorded.
I mainly wanna do it, because there's a metal song, and a classic rock song that would sound good back to back (although it might sound wierd on first listen), and the classic rock song is somewhat lower in volume.

Last edited by Rypro 525; 11-26-08 at 01:40 PM.
Old 11-26-08, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I'm in, though I'm not really graphically inclined, so I don't know about making a cover. Are there any free programs out there that make creating one easy?

It's funny. I was thinking about this (and the album draft) not too long ago. Glad someone had the initiative to bring it back!

I loved the first MTMP (always a big fan of getting mail), but I think going all digital is a good direction for it to go, what with it being the holiday season and all. I remember last time getting a little stressed trying to get everything in order and out promptly, among the many other things that's required of the season. Plus, it'll save a little money.
Old 11-26-08, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm in.
Old 11-26-08, 03:36 PM

Oh, I want to do this!
Old 11-26-08, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJLinus
I'm in, though I'm not really graphically inclined, so I don't know about making a cover. Are there any free programs out there that make creating one easy?
Same here.
Old 11-26-08, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm in the nin like a gallon of gin.
Old 11-26-08, 06:03 PM

Inny
Old 11-26-08, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Would you like to join?

[X] Yes
[ ] No

Old 11-27-08, 04:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Why the heck not. It'll give me an excuse to play around with my DVS.
Old 11-27-08, 09:02 AM

Count me in if there's still room.
Old 11-27-08, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
If there's room, I'm in too.

However, I have NO graphic skills. I'm not interested in that aspect. Does that eliminate me from the project?
Old 11-27-08, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

i'm sure bus can help us out. i have an idea of what my cover would look like.
Old 11-27-08, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

eh, i'm technically done already, all i gotta do is burn it to a cd (to make sure it all fits on a cd, i think it does, but itunes doesn't have an exact time when you have a playlist.) I'm also listening to it now to make sure this is the order i like, and that all songs seem to go together, in my eyes anyways. I've also gotta combine a track and do a few mili seconds of a trim for a song, since i didn't start it at the begining, but i've got to make sure it starts at exactly the right spot.

All in all, this was alot of fun and alot easier then last time.
Old 11-27-08, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I usually make covers for those people who don't have one. Once I listen to your mix I just do something based on how I feel based on your music.
Old 11-27-08, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

it might be a tad hard, since i kind of mixed up the genre's
Old 11-27-08, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
I'm interested!

I always wondered if it was illegal to make mixtapes and give it to friends. It is such a great experience to exchange mixtapes and get exposed to new artists, music, and genres.
Old 11-27-08, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Bus
I usually make covers for those people who don't have one. Once I listen to your mix I just do something based on how I feel based on your music.
ygm, and a link too.
Old 11-27-08, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
I finished mine, I just need a place to upload the file.
Old 11-27-08, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by orangecrush18
I finished mine, I just need a place to upload the file.
rapidshare.com or megaupload.com You may need to put it all in a rar file

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.