Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What's The Deal With Best Buy's New Love of Vinyl?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-08, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

I just went to Best Buy to pick up the Police set. I was shocked to discover that not only are they selling both their big exclusive sets (Police, Elton John) on vinyl, that they've set up prominent end-caps for classic albums in LP format. Do they know something I don't? Are there actually a lot of people wanting their music on scratchy LPs rather than MP3? I just don't understand why the same chain that removed every last SACD from their shelves would want to so strongly promote a format that's twenty years obsolete to everyone who doesn't moonlight as a DJ.
Old 11-14-08, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Because there is a growing interest in vinyl again. For people who dislike the cold sound of CDs. While CD sales are declining, vinyl sales are increasing. BB is just giving in to consumer demand.
Old 11-14-08, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vinyl is currently undergoing a bit of a renaissance with some people...it's become kind of "hip", and almost like an F U to the cold modern digital push of mp3s and iPods...also, many audiophiles still consider the true analog sound to be richer & better...

As far as why you see it at BB, they see a niche that has actually been growing (mostly at your independent music stores), and wants in on the action....
Old 11-14-08, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Decker
Do they know something I don't?
They, and thousands upon thousands of others.
Old 11-14-08, 07:11 PM
Premium Member

Received 695 Likes on 465 Posts
I just went to Best Buy to pick up the Police set. I was shocked to discover that not only are they selling both their big exclusive sets (Police, Elton John) on vinyl, that they've set up prominent end-caps for classic albums in LP format. Do they know something I don't? Are there actually a lot of people wanting their music on scratchy LPs rather than MP3? I just don't understand why the same chain that removed every last SACD from their shelves would want to so strongly promote a format that's twenty years obsolete to everyone who doesn't moonlight as a DJ.
They don't come scratchy (hopefully) and the format is far from obsolete.
Old 11-14-08, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Vinyl is making a comeback. With the economy so bad as it is, I guess they'll try anything to increase sales. Almost everything goes in cycles. Next thing you know they'll be bringing back Disco.
Old 11-14-08, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts
Record labels like vinyl, too, because it's much less convenient for the average listener to rip and re-sell. Plus, the average vinyl purchaser is more of a collector and hence less likely to rip and re-sell in the first place. From what I've read, many fans feel that recent vinyl issues of albums have actually been engineered for better playback than their digital versions. Kudos, by the way, to the record labels for frequently including .mp3 downloads with the vinyl releases. I haven't bought any of them, so I don't know how bogged down with DRM the digital versions are, but it's a nice offering.

What remains to be seen is whether vinyl will catch back on with mainstream buyers. It is quite unlikely that retailers are excited about this recent sub-movement. CD's have been given less space each year in stores, and I don't expect anyone at the big boxes want to have to accommodate these things again.
Old 11-14-08, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts
Are there actually a lot of people wanting their music on scratchy LPs rather than MP3?
Old 11-15-08, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

it's not just BB. in fact, Fred Meyer is really pushing vinyl LPs as well in their "electronics" departments.
Old 11-15-08, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
why are they doing it?

because independent record stores found a niche that seperated them from the big box stores and decided to throw support behind it leading to a big jump in availability of product and sales

Best Buy in it's continuing effort to put all of those stores out of business jumped on the bandwaggon
Old 11-15-08, 08:58 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts
Universal Music is celebrating xx years of vinyl (hell if I know the actual number of years...).

They bought the endcaps at places like Best Buy for this self-promotion.

Still, it's nice to get a few albums that were out of print...
Old 11-16-08, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by musick
why are they doing it?

because independent record stores found a niche that seperated them from the big box stores and decided to throw support behind it leading to a big jump in availability of product and sales

Best Buy in it's continuing effort to put all of those stores out of business jumped on the bandwaggon
Now THAT is an explanation that makes "sense" to me, at least in the context of Best Buy.

I can appreciate the richer sound in vinyl, but it's such a hassel to play records, I just don't see it as much of a growth industry. Besides, DVD-A and SACD proved that the general public has absolutely no interest in a better quality audio format. It still makes me want to cry.

Does anyone who listens to vinyl here think that LPs sound better than SACDs? I'm not trying to provoke an arguement, I'm just curious.
Old 11-16-08, 01:14 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts
Besides, DVD-A and SACD proved that the general public has absolutely no interest in a better quality audio format.
I disagree. I think DVD-A and SACD failed because:
i) they were way too expensive (it's bad enough that the MSRP on CDs is still above $20... even higher outside of the US. MSRP on DVD-A and SACD was ludicrous)
ii) no portable solutions were ever offered. I wouldn't have expected top-quality, per se, but backwards compatibility would have been nice (SACD did this with their 'hybrid' discs, but not as a standard for every release). These formats were introduced when CDs were as portable as they could get, and when mp3s were really starting to hit the mainstream. Without any hint of portability, consumers said no.

Does anyone who listens to vinyl here think that LPs sound better than SACDs? I'm not trying to provoke an arguement, I'm just curious.
There's many factors that come into play in order to answer that question I vaguely remember reading that a number of SACDs and DVD-As were actually just 'upconverted' CDs and were not created from the original master recordings. Another big mistake was the 'dualdisc' format (CD on one side, DVD or DVD-A on the other). Some of those "DVD-A" encodes were actually just Dolby Digital 2.0. oops!!
Old 11-16-08, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think it's great that Best Buy is actually pushing vinyl out there, you have to drive 20 minutes out of the way to an indie shop to get vinyl that's actually current, you can find used stuff everywhere but how often do you find albums pressed after 1987-1988 used since that was when it went downhill in popularity? I really want that Queen vinyl box set.

I notice that the people who love to bash vinyl, calling it obsolete and the sort are just bitter because they don't manufacture Miley Cyrus or Jonas Brothers stuff on vinyl. I noticed that at that indie shop when a few tweens were mocking that people but vinyl in 2008.... you know you'd buy a Jonas picture disc if one was avail. The people who look down on vinyl are the ones who aren't "with it" these days, especially since the artwork and everything is so much nicer than CD's. I download my music on mp3, but I buy my music on vinyl because a tangible vinyl copy is so much nicer to look at than a plastic disc.
Old 11-16-08, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by WMAangel
Vinyl is currently undergoing a bit of a renaissance with some people...it's become kind of "hip", and almost like an F U to the cold modern digital push of mp3s and iPods...also, many audiophiles still consider the true analog sound to be richer & better...
exactly, that's why I'm surprised anyone would actually be surprised. I know a lot of people who are under 30 who own turntables and seek out vinyl in lieu of CD's these days if they want to own a tangible copy of something (which mp3's AREN'T).

BTW, used shops never sell scratched vinyl. I have stuff from the 70's that looks brand new. It depends on how you take care of your collection. If your records are scratched, that's your fault
Old 11-16-08, 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
I disagree. I think DVD-A and SACD failed because:
i) they were way too expensive (it's bad enough that the MSRP on CDs is still above $20... even higher outside of the US. MSRP on DVD-A and SACD was ludicrous)
ii) no portable solutions were ever offered. I wouldn't have expected top-quality, per se, but backwards compatibility would have been nice (SACD did this with their 'hybrid' discs, but not as a standard for every release). These formats were introduced when CDs were as portable as they could get, and when mp3s were really starting to hit the mainstream. Without any hint of portability, consumers said no.
I have made MP3s of SACD hybrids without any difficulties. I really love my little collection. I'll break out one of my favorites (Tumbleweed Connection, The Stranger, Slowhand) and it always impresses the hell out of me.

Another big mistake was the 'dualdisc' format (CD on one side, DVD or DVD-A on the other). Some of those "DVD-A" encodes were actually just Dolby Digital 2.0. oops!!
Those were just HORRIBLE. They wouldn't play well on computers, were near-impossible to rip to ipods and would get stuck in car CD players because they were thicker than CDs. They also get scratched to hell. I've borrowed a couple from the library-- they were completely destroyed
Old 11-16-08, 02:21 AM
Premium Member

Received 695 Likes on 465 Posts
Originally Posted by nothingfails
I notice that the people who love to bash vinyl, calling it obsolete and the sort are just bitter because they don't manufacture Miley Cyrus or Jonas Brothers stuff on vinyl.
This is where your dvdtalkname fails, and you lose a lot of people. Stick with the facts and reason, not the emotion. Where the hell did you get that here?

(I'm a vinyl guy, I am old)
Old 11-16-08, 04:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by The Cow
This is where your dvdtalkname fails, and you lose a lot of people. Stick with the facts and reason, not the emotion. Where the hell did you get that here?

(I'm a vinyl guy, I am old)
it's true tho. At the indie shop I buy my current vinyl, you may see a 12-14 year olds who sneer at vinyl because it's old... and it's all because the vinyl collectors market aren't necessarily the type of people who want to own the latest Miley Cyrus album on vinyl the way they may the latest Brian Wilson or R.E.M., but you see plenty of 18-30 year olds looking through the vinyl stacks there because they get it, they're a little older than the tweens who don't even know what it's like to see a music video on MTV.

But I did think it was odd for Decker to dismiss vinyl as obsolete and old as if he'd been in a coma for the past ten years. Vinyl's been "hip" again for a long time and more and more current artists are embracing the format, so it seems odd that he complains that vinyl collectors are actually able to get vinyl at Best Buy instead of driving out of the way to the indie shops to get the latest from The Killers or The Cure on black wax. He convieniently must've slept through my thread awhile back about vinyl, which had probably 15-20 others replying that they buy music on vinyl today too.

Last edited by nothingfails; 11-16-08 at 04:16 AM.
Old 11-16-08, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts
Aren't the new vinyl releases, and re-issues of classic albums manufactured differently than old vinyl was? Some kind off upgraded super vinyl?
Old 11-16-08, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
Wow, I thought it was just a gimmick. It would make more sense if they actually sold a decent turntable to play the damn things on.
Old 11-16-08, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by nothingfails
it's true tho. At the indie shop I buy my current vinyl, you may see a 12-14 year olds who sneer at vinyl because it's old... and it's all because the vinyl collectors market aren't necessarily the type of people who want to own the latest Miley Cyrus album on vinyl the way they may the latest Brian Wilson or R.E.M., but you see plenty of 18-30 year olds looking through the vinyl stacks there because they get it, they're a little older than the tweens who don't even know what it's like to see a music video on MTV.

But I did think it was odd for Decker to dismiss vinyl as obsolete and old as if he'd been in a coma for the past ten years. Vinyl's been "hip" again for a long time and more and more current artists are embracing the format, so it seems odd that he complains that vinyl collectors are actually able to get vinyl at Best Buy instead of driving out of the way to the indie shops to get the latest from The Killers or The Cure on black wax. He convieniently must've slept through my thread awhile back about vinyl, which had probably 15-20 others replying that they buy music on vinyl today too.
I don't dismiss vinyl because the Jonas bros. aren't available in the format.
I dismiss it because at best it's a very niche market. Because records require you to get up and flip them after 4-5 songs. Because they have the nasty habit of getting scratched or broken easily. Because they take up an obscene amount of shelf space. Because they have absolutely no portability (though I was unaware of the MP3 download codes that are apparently being included now). Because despite the enjoyable fullness and warmth in the sound, the hiss has always bugged the crap out of me.

But mostly, I started this thread because while I certainly don't begrudge the music purist from enjoying their LPs and am actually thrilled that vinyl is keeping small independent record stores in business (check out my sig to see the special place I hold in my heart for the LP enthusiast), I wonder why a major chain like Best Buy has suddenly set aside major retail space to start hawking reprints of Layla and Nico as well as releasing their two new live collections in the format. I just can't get my head around why they would launch into selling vinyl when it HAS to be such a small market. This new sales push has got to have more to do with putting the independents out of business than anything else.
Old 11-16-08, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
So in conclusion, does this mean the Jonas Brothers and Miley Cyrus *ARE* available on vinyl?
Old 11-16-08, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts
This new sales push has got to have more to do with putting the independents out of business than anything else.
I don't think Best Buy gives 2 shits about independents. If they did, they would've gone used CDs and digitial downloads long time ago. I don't think independents are direct competitors of the big box stores. People go to independents either out of loyalty or they provide a specific need that a Best Buy can't.

I don't think Best Buy's meager LP selection is going to make an independent go belly up.
Old 11-16-08, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
I wonder why a major chain like Best Buy has suddenly set aside major retail space to start hawking reprints of Layla and Nico as well as releasing their two new live collections in the format.
With Fred Meyer at least, it started out as an accident:
Typo Led To Vinyl Sales At Fred Meyer
This spring, an employee intending to order a special CD-DVD edition of R.E.M.'s latest release "Accelerate" inadvertently entered the "LP" code instead. Soon boxes of the big, vinyl discs showed up at several stores.... Some sent them back. But a handful put them on the shelves, and 20 LPs sold the first day.

...According to the RIAA, manufacturers' shipments of LPs jumped more than 36 percent from 2006 to 2007 to more than 1.3 million...

..."Once I got my first iPod ... I'm looking at my wall of CDs and trying to justify it," [United Record Pressing director Jay Millar] said. "The things I like - the artwork, the liner notes, the sound quality - it dawns on me, those are things I like better on vinyl." He welcomed back the pops and clicks, even some of the scratches...

...In this game, big retailers aren't necessarily competing head to head with independent sellers' regular clientele of nostalgic baby boomers, independent label fans and turntable DJs. "I cannot see that Best Buy or Fred Meyer would order the same things we would," Hagen said. "They aren't going to be ordering the reggae, funk, punk or industrial music."
http://blog.oregonlive.com/breakingn..._vinyl_to.html
"They're selling really, really well," Merrill said. "The biggest seller is 'Abbey Road.'"

She added that Fred Meyer stores will likely roll out more vinyl releases and different models of turntables, including one with a computer port that allows vinyl-to-MP3 transfer, in coming months.

"I really don't know what to make of it," Merrill said.
http://www.kgw.com/business/stories/....5e3499fa.html
Merrill said now they stock about 20 titles at 60 stores. And they plan to expand perhaps as soon as later this month. A turntable model with a built-in CD burner should also be in stock by fall.

"We will definitely continue to sell vinyl."

Last edited by Jay G.; 11-16-08 at 01:15 PM.
Old 11-16-08, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt Millheiser
So in conclusion, does this mean the Jonas Brothers and Miley Cyrus *ARE* available on vinyl?
There's a 7" import available for Jonas Brothers:
http://www.allmusicimport.com/1370280.html

A few Miley Cyrus tracks have appeared on DJ records:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Ultimix-141-12-V...QQcmdZViewItem

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.