Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

SMASHING PUMPKINS: If All Goes Wrong 2DVD -11/11/08

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

SMASHING PUMPKINS: If All Goes Wrong 2DVD -11/11/08

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-08, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Rypro 525
Wow, i didn't know people hated 'silverfuck'? Thats actually one of my fave pumpkins songs, unless of course live, they really stretch the middle part out?
For awhile there it was elongated with a version of "Somewhere Over The Rainbow".
Old 11-29-08, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by starseed1981
For awhile there it was elongated with a version of "Somewhere Over The Rainbow".
the Wizard of Oz song?
Old 11-29-08, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rypro 525
the Wizard of Oz song?
Yes. A commercially accessible version would be on Earphoria.

-Paul Jacobi-
Old 12-01-08, 05:53 PM

Wow, a lot of the comments in this thread compounded together are starting to make me think that I might be insane. I'm in a minority amongst the general population, to say the least.

I'm 27. I've been a Smashing Pumpkins fan since I was in high school (Mellon Collie era). Since the Machina era, circa 2000, Glass and the Ghost Children, Crying Tree of Mercury, and Blue Skies Bring Tears have been virtually my favorite Pumpkins songs. Whenever I read someone ranting about how "awful", or whatever, they are (and I've come across this phenomenon all across the Internet), I'm confounded.

But, then again, if you're someone who hates the extended jams that they're currently doing on tour, man, you'd really hate a lot of my music collection. Presently, I'm listening to Sun Ra. At hand, I've got some John Coltrane, John Cage, Jandek, Fat Worm of Error, Vibracathedral Orchestra, No Neck Blues Band, and on and on and on ....

See, I guess a lot of people are used to staying within certain comfort zones when it comes to music. Not me. I actively seek extremes. I carefully and considerately listen to what musicians are doing. I'm well aware that music is more comfortable, more pleasurable when you've heard it before it, when you're familiar with it. I first recognized this when I was in high school, when I started really getting into listening to albums - you see, I noticed this tendency in *myself*.

So, I saw the Pumpkins play "Set the Controls" in Connecticut a couple weeks ago. When Billy started playing timpani and the song switched direction and the band indulged in free noise, I was just trying to listen and see where it went, see what it was. But I couldn't, because all the boos that started emanating from all around me became pretty distracting.

The first part of the Pumpkins version of "Set the Controls" is decidely a rock song. Much more rocking than the Pink Floyd original, I might add - has anyone actually *heard* it??!!!! At a Pumpkins show, when, several minutes in, it turns into atonal, arhythmic free noise, well, I guess I understand why people are thrown. It's not like them to do that, and even I'm surprised. But, man, people are thick and small-minded - it's not like they played in that style the *whole concert* (man, wouldn't *that* be a riot?!), so can't you just be thoughtful and considerate and *listen* for a goddamn fucking few minutes in your life? (Oh, what's that you say, it's more like a half hour? Oh, poor baby, you're so oppressed!) Can't you just recognize that we're hearing a different, er, movement (one that's more soundscape-oriented) of the, er, piece (think prog, here, folks), with a different vibe? You know, the story's unfolding. Yes, it's atonal. Yes, it's "just noise" (newflash: so is all music). I'm sure Billy would tell you this himself. I understand why some think that he regards his audience with contempt. A lot of them are morons. I've been surrounded by them at the shows I've been to recently.

Really, these drawn-out space jams (or whatever you want to call them) aren't even new territory for them. The half hour Silverfuck jams they did on the Mellon Collie tour were pretty similar. I'd bet in those days, a good portion of the crowd found Ruby, Porcelina, and the aforementioned Silverfuck pretty boring, and just wanted to hear Bullet and 1979. Now-longtime fans are enraged that on this tour, the band is not playing non-single cuts from the early albums. But, such fans have an advantage: they've been listening to those songs over and over for years, in many cases over a decade. So, when they're resistent to hearing Gossamer or I Am One Part 2 and would rather hear Porcelina or Starla, it looks kind of silly. All they're saying is they'd rather hear an OLD psychedelic space rock psuedo-prog song instead of um, a NEW psychedelic space rock psuedo-prog song. That's something the band does - you don't want them to do new ones? It's just because you can can tap your toes more easily to the old ones than the new ones. Like I said earlier, familiarity and comfort play a big part in how people relate to music.

Really, some of the poppier, songier new ones like 99 Foors and Owata might've been huge hits in '96.

Consider this: I've heard recordings of shows at the outset of the Mellon Collie tour. At that point, Tonight, Tonight was not yet a single. There was no video on MTV, it wasn't on the radio. When they play it, the crowd reaction is lukewarm. Later, people would roar for it. You know, after they'd heard it a million times. Doesn't that make you want to stop and ask yourself, why would that be?

Last edited by ChesterSmith; 12-02-08 at 12:06 PM. Reason: typos, clarity
Old 12-08-08, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Went to the one-off show last night in Chicago. Some highlights that I thought people here would enjoy:

-Revealed that the version of Gossamer being played on the "White Crosses" shows is the definitive version and will be recorded.
-Billy played a solo version of "Medillia of The Grey Skies" and forgot the last verse (kinda funny)
-Kids started chanting "Spiteface!" and Billy just humorously hung his head low. Which of course resulted in more cheering.
-Billy revealed that this will be the last tour to feature "old" songs so that the band can move in with a new identity.
-Played a new song called "Communion" or something along those lines
-Billy brought his brother (aka "Spaceboy") out to play tambourine and timpani on "Set The Controls".
-Ginger walked off stage after "1979" and Billy had to yell at her to get back out for "Disarm".
-They did a second encore "Disarm" and dedicated it to Billys grandmother who passed away earlier last week.

Overall it was the best performance that I've seen them give this year. I think it was the fact that the end of the tour is just around the corner (tonight) so they're was a renewed energy there. Billy also interacted with the crowd alot (which he didn't do at the previous Chicago shows). It was also very funny when he complained about needing more water because he was getting a contact high from all the weed. I think the crowd was also more into the show because it really took the best parts from the "White Crosses" and "Black Sunshine" shows.

Off the top of my head I remember: Tonight Tonight, Tarantula, Stand Inside Your Love, 99 Floors, Owata, A Song For A Son, Medillia Of The Grey Skies, Communion, Bullet With Butterfly Wings, Cherub Rock, Zero, Bodies, Soma, Superchrist, United States, Gossamer, Superchrist, Set The Controls (short version), Ava Adore, 1979, Disarm

...but alas, no "Geek Usa".
Old 12-08-08, 11:41 PM

-Billy revealed that this will be the last tour to feature "old" songs so that the band can move in with a new identity.
Sounds like I should stop looking forward to that rumored Gish tour.
Old 12-09-08, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Last night's show was really great (except for I Am One Pt. 2 - that was not good).

http://leisureblogs.chicagotribune.c...corgan-di.html
Old 12-09-08, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Liveconcertshows (or whatever) just shipped my CDs. I'm curious to listen to them from the board to see if my impressions change at all.
Old 12-10-08, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Let me know how the audio quality is on those. I am debating on which ones to order.
Old 12-10-08, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts
I'd like to order a couple of those, but they are a little pricey. Maybe I'll give in at some point.
Old 12-10-08, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DamingR
Let me know how the audio quality is on those. I am debating on which ones to order.
I'll report back when they arrive.
Old 12-11-08, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SeekOnce
Sounds like I should stop looking forward to that rumored Gish tour.
When the box set did not happen, that pretty much meant the end of the tour as well.
Old 12-11-08, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
When the box set did not happen, that pretty much meant the end of the tour as well.
Yeah, that and the latest comments about not living in "reunion band" mode anymore pretty much put the ka-bash on those tours.
Old 12-11-08, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cdollaz
I'd like to order a couple of those, but they are a little pricey. Maybe I'll give in at some point.
FWIW, it seems like LA Night 1, Chicago 4 and Chicago 5 are probably the three best choices. The band definitely got better through the run.

Hope that helps you choose a couple.

RE: The Gish Project-
I wouldn't be surprised if that still comes out eventually. They've already put some time/energy into that box set - and if the Ten $140 set sells well, Billy will take note of that. We'll never see a tour on that, though.

This "reunion" tour had a pretty big impact on their plans, and I think they got to the point where they had to decide to either move forward or not - they were not satisfying themselves with the old stuff or the general audience with the new stuff. They seem to have decided to give up on attempting to please people with old songs and they're not even going to try anymore. It should be interesting. Hopefully it means they'll drop Today/BWBW and play a few deeper cuts on each tour. I can see songs like Silverfuck, Fuck You, Ruby, Porcelina fitting into sets with their newer material pretty easily.
Old 12-11-08, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

FWIW, it seems like LA Night 1, Chicago 4 and Chicago 5 are probably the three best choices. The band definitely got better through the run.

Hope that helps you choose a couple.

RE: The Gish Project-
I wouldn't be surprised if that still comes out eventually. They've already put some time/energy into that box set - and if the Ten $140 set sells well, Billy will take note of that. We'll never see a tour on that, though.

This "reunion" tour had a pretty big impact on their plans, and I think they got to the point where they had to decide to either move forward or not - they were not satisfying themselves with the old stuff or the general audience with the new stuff. They seem to have decided to give up on attempting to please people with old songs and they're not even going to try anymore. It should be interesting. Hopefully it means they'll drop Today/BWBW and play a few deeper cuts on each tour. I can see songs like Silverfuck, Fuck You, Ruby, Porcelina fitting into sets with their newer material pretty easily.
Good choices on Chicago dates (haven't heard night 1 in LA..but word of mouth is good).

Also agree with everything in that last paragraph.
Old 12-11-08, 07:32 PM
Cool New Member

Went to the one-off show last night in Chicago. Some highlights that I thought people here would enjoy:
Thanks for the highlights. Chicago shows are usually SP's finest.

I remember after the split in 2000, he said they would never ANY old Smashing Pumpkins songs, so we'll see. He could've been talking about is solo/new band projects though.

-Billy brought his brother (aka "Spaceboy") out to play tambourine and timpani on "Set The Controls".
That's pretty rad. Last time I saw them in Chicago, he brought out his father to play a blues song together. Again, hometown shows.

-Ginger walked off stage after "1979" and Billy had to yell at her to get back out for "Disarm".
Ginger is smoking hot. Anyway, when I saw them at The Bridge School Benefit show, Billy brought out Josh Grobin (er, whatever) to sing. Billy just played guitar and the rest of the band was off stage. Not a person I know or heard or liked it.
Old 12-11-08, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Alright they came. First of all, they are consumer grade CDR, which is disappointing. Also in a cheap ass cardboard case with a sticker. It's from the board (obviously), and in typical Billy fashion, all you can hear is Billy's voice and his guitar. The quality is fine, it's nice to hear the show like this.
Old 12-12-08, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Salo
Ginger is smoking hot. Anyway, when I saw them at The Bridge School Benefit show, Billy brought out Josh Grobin (er, whatever) to sing. Billy just played guitar and the rest of the band was off stage. Not a person I know or heard or liked it.
Oh dear lord you're not kidding. At the last Aragon show she was wearing this skin tight leather catsuit (I swear it looked like something from X-Men). And with her usual gyrations against her bass it was quite pleasing to the eye.
Old 12-12-08, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Alright they came. First of all, they are consumer grade CDR, which is disappointing. Also in a cheap ass cardboard case with a sticker. It's from the board (obviously), and in typical Billy fashion, all you can hear is Billy's voice and his guitar. The quality is fine, it's nice to hear the show like this.
Yeah, I bought some Pearl Jam CDs off their last tour, so I knew about the packaging. Just wanted to make sure the mix/production seemed okay. Thanks.
Old 12-12-08, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
It's that time of year where I find a SP thread and post this

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JlsDljZfMzs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JlsDljZfMzs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Billy Corgan--and Dennis DeYoung of Styx--singing "We Three Kings"
Old 12-16-08, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm sure the tone and content of this recent Trib interview with Billy will surprise very few, but the guy has certainly cemented his position as a real asshole:

Zeitgeist Is Smashing Pumpkins Last Record
By: Chad | Source: Chicago Tribune
December 14, 2008 2:39PM EST

So much for the Smashing Pumpkins comeback, lead singer Billy Corgan said in a recent interview that the band's recent album Zeitgeist will be their last, as so many fans just downloading singles these days, Corgan says "There is no point" in making another album.

"We're done with that. There is no point. People don't even listen to it all," said Corgan in an interview with the Chicago Tribune. "They put it on their iPod, they drag over the two singles and skip over the rest. The listening patterns have changed, so why are we killing ourselves to do albums? It's done."

The news comes on the heels of a very controvertial Smashing Pumpkins tour, the band's first tour with out core members James Iha and D'Arcy Wretzky. The Pumpkins broke up in 2000, and Corgan says the "door was left open" for Iha and Wretzky to return when the band reassembled in 2005. But things didn't work out, and Jeff Schroeder and Ginger Reyes were enlisted to take their places. Corgan explained that Iha was actually the main reason the band split in 2000.

"Iha was driving me out of my mind. He was so negative. The guy literally drove me insane," said Corgan. Even still, Corgan insisted that Iha and Wretzky could have returned to the band. "They have the right to at least have the conversation. We said the door's open. We were met with complete indifference. D'Arcy doesn't care. And James, it was a money thing."

When asked why, without two core members, that Corgan would keep The Smashing Pumpkins name, he had a rather curious response.

"It's my band. Anyone who doubts the legitimacy of this band can go [expletive] themselves. That's old thinking about bands. Show me any band that lasts for any tenure, they don't have the original members. This world doesn't care about that. They just want to hear the songs. They've got karaoke singers now fronting big bands."

Corgan wasn't afraid to point out that he didn't care about the lack of success that his band was having with their last release, saying that the Pumpkins should be seriously considered because its the Pumpkins.

"When we do something it should be taken seriously, even when we're off. If we're marginalized by the culture, we're not going to play dead and say thank you for our B-plus status. I poured my blood into my songs. I've had a bad marriage and seven bad girlfriends in a row. I make sacrifices to do my work. That's not victim talk; that's nobody's fault; that's a choice I made for me."

http://www.alternativeaddiction.com/...t&article=1247
Old 12-16-08, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
"We're done with that. There is no point. People don't even listen to it all," said Corgan in an interview with the Chicago Tribune. "They put it on their iPod, they drag over the two singles and skip over the rest. The listening patterns have changed, so why are we killing ourselves to do albums? It's done."
This is very true for most people.

Show me any band that lasts for any tenure, they don't have the original members.
Does U2 count?
Old 12-16-08, 11:36 AM

Billy also posted a blog entry right after that interview was released to clarify a few things.

"I enjoyed talking to Greg. He is a very well-liked and respected writer, and outside of one small misquote (I don't recall saying we needed to write songs like '1999'. I think I said '1979'), the interview is an accurate potrayal of my feelings. But let's be clear here. I never said I would never play any old songs ever again. That's just drama if that's what people hear, or want to hear. What I've said is that we aren't going to play most of those old songs any more because it locks us into permanent reunion band mode, and we are over it. For some fans to be upset at a band that plays 48 songs over 2 nights, the great majority of which are old, shows you the level of insanity we deal with. The word is called entitled. If they are entitled to demand, we are entilted to be who we are without reservation. There is no apology in that. We feel good, happy, and strong, and that should be the story here. Nobody owns us. We own us. Where is the happy ending of 'the band that once self-destructed is back and playing great and is looking forward to the future?'

If you come see us on some crazy big tour you will hear a few familiar songs, because that is the right forum for it. But it certainly won't be the main focus. When we play small venues we won't be playing those songs pretty much at all cause that won't be the place for it anymore. But that doesn't mean we are even gonna play at all. It doesn't make sense to some now and we understand and we are ok with those that leave because they are stuck in some year from a different decade. We'll be fine without them. Thanks, and goodbye. Just remember us when we say 'I told you so'. Because we are on our way back, and that's that. (Insert smiley face right fucking here). As I said to some fans, if after 20 years we are one song, or one show away from losing your loyalty, good riddance then. We don't need that energy around us.

Our message has been consistent: don't ask us to do or be anything that will once again lead to the death of the band. The band's survival comes first. We can debate aesthetics and marketing platforms later. If you want us to fall away, fade away like some dust and relics it aint gonna happen. We are here to stay. We deserve to be here, and are proud of what we have gotten right thru the years. And we are truly grateful to those fans that trust us like family. The kind of extended family where you can make a mistake, say something not quite the right way, and still be welcomed home. There will never be anything wrong with flying too close to the sun.

God bless everybody here, BC"

http://smashingpumpkins.com/pages/bl...hicago-tribune

-Paul Jacobi-
Old 12-16-08, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yup, still an asshole, even in clarifying himself. I really wonder why I still respect and admire this guy sometimes.
Old 12-16-08, 03:46 PM

I kinda respect the fact that he is an asshole and not afraid to be one in such a watered down industry.

As far as calling Iha Mr. Negative...well isn't that the pot calling the kettle black