Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

GUNS N' ROSES: "Chinese Democracy" -11/23/08

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

GUNS N' ROSES: "Chinese Democracy" -11/23/08

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-08, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't care what anyone else says, this album is the best thing I have heard since Pearl Jam's last album....I have waited years for this shit and I am not disappointed at all...I just hope a tour will follow in 2009! I saw them two years ago in Baltimore and it was easily one of the best concerts I have ever seen....I would love to hear more CD material live!
Old 11-23-08, 02:10 AM

I listened to the whole thing on Myspace. No way I'm buying this. This is not Guns N' Roses. Hell, its not even a good Axl solo project. I'd be embarrased to crank this up in my car with the windows down.
Old 11-23-08, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Dr. Pepper website seems to be down. The must be getting slammed. LOL
Old 11-23-08, 03:38 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts
I bet they give out more free Dr. Peppers than however many copies of this album get sold.
Old 11-23-08, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow, you guys are pretty harsh.

It's been 14 years since he's released anything, of course it's not going to sound the same as AFD, UYI I and UYI II.

It's better than alot of what passes for popular now these days. I'd be surprised if many of the naysayers have actually listened to the whole album.
Old 11-23-08, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^ i did. I feel that 95% of it is very mediocre and almost torture to listen to the entire thing. After listening to it all, i almost felt like saying out loud "wow, it took 14 years and several million dollars to make this?" Way too many slow songs too. It also feels like this is more an Axl Rose solo album and not a Guns album. Also, i have a question too, we all know Buckethead was apart of the band at one point, is any of his stuff on this album?
Old 11-23-08, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts
I only listened to the first seven or so songs on myspace, so I'm only qualified to state that the first seven or so songs sound like total shit. The rest of the songs may be like magical rainbows that make love in your ear for all I know.
Old 11-23-08, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
Also, i have a question too, we all know Buckethead was apart of the band at one point, is any of his stuff on this album?
His playing is on every song except "Catcher In The Rye" and "This I Love"....
Old 11-23-08, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I haven't listened to the last three tracks yet, but I liked everything else except for tracks 3 and 4, which were pretty cheesy. I seem to be in the vast minority though.
Old 11-23-08, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by XavierMike
The Dr. Pepper website seems to be down. The must be getting slammed. LOL
I was able to get my own request in last night right after midnight a few minutes after the promotion started....since then, I have not been able to get another one in for my wife as the site always crashes or times out...

I bet there is going to be a bunch of negative press about this...I can't believe with all the mainstream press this offer received, they didn't beef up their server capacity or what not in preparation....
Old 11-23-08, 08:05 PM

I just think the beautiful voice of Axl. has become a little hairy.
Old 11-23-08, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
I bet they give out more free Dr. Peppers than however many copies of this album get sold.
Walked into the local best buy an hour or so after it opened and asked the loss prevention guy up front if they had a mad dash for the album. He chuckled and showed me the display a few few away from me. I noticed 2-3 copies missing....

I went ahead and got 2 copies, so they at least sold 5 copies at the Torrance, Ca best buy
Old 11-23-08, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, looks like the free soda offer is being extended due to their site problems!

Here's what they freshly updated on the site:

"We are sorry for any delays you have experienced in securing a coupon for a free Dr Pepper. While we had taken additional steps to meet the expected demand for our offer, the response has been greater than anticipated. To resolve this, we are increasing our server capacity and making a toll-free number available (1-888-DRPEPPER or 1-888-377-3773). In addition, as a result of the technical delays, we are extending the offer and will provide more information shortly.

Thanks for your patience and support."
Old 11-24-08, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Pillowhead
It's better than alot of what passes for popular now these days. I'd be surprised if many of the naysayers have actually listened to the whole album.
I had the exact opposite reaction. The amount of new music today that surpasses this 10-year-old sounding album is amazing.

BTW, other than the Dr. Pepper thing being kind of cute, why is anyone spending more than 5 seconds giving a crap about a freaking free soda?
Old 11-24-08, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I didn't think it was horrible like a lot of people on here, but I guarantee I won't ever listen to it again. I think that says a lot.
Old 11-24-08, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
How much time am I supposed to spend getting a coupon for a friggin free soda? I can't even believe the amount of discussion surrounding this free soda offer. I empty more change out of my pocket at the end of the day than it costs to buy a soda.
Old 11-24-08, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by juanmgonzalez
Walked into the local best buy an hour or so after it opened and asked the loss prevention guy up front if they had a mad dash for the album. He chuckled and showed me the display a few few away from me. I noticed 2-3 copies missing....

I went ahead and got 2 copies, so they at least sold 5 copies at the Torrance, Ca best buy

I saw the opposite in the West L.A. store. I showed up after 9 and was watching every person walked out of the store with the CD and in line were about 10 people all holding a copy of the cd.

I am also in the minority when I say I like this cd. I am a long time Guns N Roese fan dating back to their club days at the troubador. I will admit this isn't the typical Guns N Roses we are use to but I can appreciate it as a Axl Rose solo project. He had some amazing musicians on this cd. This is one cd you really need to listen to a few times to appreciate and listen to it loud so you can hear that great work of Buckethead.
Old 11-24-08, 12:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Cyberock
This is one cd you really need to listen to a few times to appreciate and listen to it loud so you can hear that great work of Buckethead.

I'll pass.
Old 11-24-08, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts
I've only listened to the first 5 or 6 songs so far and I really like it.

I'm not a GnR fan by any means and I did not expect much at all, so I'm very pleasantly surprised.
Old 11-24-08, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Cyberock
I saw the opposite in the West L.A. store. I showed up after 9 and was watching every person walked out of the store with the CD and in line were about 10 people all holding a copy of the cd.

I am also in the minority when I say I like this cd. I am a long time Guns N Roese fan dating back to their club days at the troubador. I will admit this isn't the typical Guns N Roses we are use to but I can appreciate it as a Axl Rose solo project. He had some amazing musicians on this cd. This is one cd you really need to listen to a few times to appreciate and listen to it loud so you can hear that great work of Buckethead.
I walked into my Best Buy (Buffalo area) when they opened with 5 or 6 other people, all of whom picked up at least one copy.

I don't think I'm in the minority when I say I like this cd a lot. I think the majority of the people who are buying it know exactly what they're getting and will like it. In the last 14 years I've gotten new stuff from Slash and Duff, but nothing from Axl (except for his backing on Sabastian Bach's album, which totally kicked ass!). It's been a long time coming, and I am not disapointed.
Old 11-24-08, 12:45 PM

overproduction issues aside .. i enjoyed listening to this album in its entirety. I mean .. sitting there and actually listening and enjoying some genuine talent. I also like the slow songs. There is a decent mix of music and electronic sounds on this album. Its not the music that our minds envisioned as being Guns N Roses but its not bad at all. I give it a 6/10 . Thats -1 for no Slash, -1 for no Izzy, -1 for no Duff and -1 for no Steven Adler.
Old 11-24-08, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I really enjoyed the first half of the album, but then I feel like it tails off to just ok. Not a GNR album proper, but its nice to hear axl again. Buckets guitar work is great, I also enjoy a lot of the other muscians involved (howerdel, freese, etc...)

Realllly makes me wish a full on GNR album with the actually line up though. Sadly I am certain it will never happen.
Old 11-24-08, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by Pillowhead
Wow, you guys are pretty harsh.

It's been 14 years since he's released anything, of course it's not going to sound the same as AFD, UYI I and UYI II.

I listened to the entire CD and it sounds like shit. My ears are still ringing from the noise Axl calls music.
Old 11-24-08, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
BTW, other than the Dr. Pepper thing being kind of cute, why is anyone spending more than 5 seconds giving a crap about a freaking free soda?
I think a lot of it is people like to see a company have to eat their words....the people at Dr Pepper thought "ha, we can make some random, out of left field offer about the biggest musical punchline of the past decade, no worries, it's not like they'll actually release the thing"....and then be forced to deliver...
Old 11-24-08, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by WMAangel
I think a lot of it is people like to see a company have to eat their words....the people at Dr Pepper thought "ha, we can make some random, out of left field offer about the biggest musical punchline of the past decade, no worries, it's not like they'll actually release the thing"....and then be forced to deliver...
I doubt they're feeling like they are eating their words. This is massive publicity for them.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.