DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Cheap Trick - Budokan!: 30th Anniversary (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/540939-cheap-trick-budokan-30th-anniversary.html)

Flashback 10-03-08 01:02 PM

Cheap Trick - Budokan!: 30th Anniversary

Not sure if it belongs here or in DVD since it falls into music.
However, I am excited by this as I am a huge CT fan.

http://www.legacyrecordings.com/News...e-4ab5bb5155fe

DVD features original concert that aired once on Japanese television in 1978 – never aired in U.S. and commercially available for the first time in this package, plus 2008 interviews with the band members and others involved with concert.

Cheap Trick’s Live At Budokan Now Becomes A “Sight & Sound” Event As 1978 Concert Footage Is Released For The First Time, Alongside Newly Mixed And Mastered Audio Of The Original Concert On 3 CDs

Follows historic Cheap Trick concert return to Budokan in April 2008

Note: “Hello There” featured on menu of ‘Rock Band 2’ game starting in September!

Box set available starting November 11, 2008, through Epic/Legacy;
180 gram audiophile vinyl pressing of original LP in stores October 28th

The history of rock and roll is fraught with more than its share of unforeseen circumstances. But none so unforeseen as those in the life of Cheap Trick – Rick Nielsen (guitar), Robin Zander (vocals and guitar), Bun E. Carlos (drums), and Tom Petersson (bass). Circa 1978-79, they jumped from being the biggest band ever to emerge from Rockford, Illinois, to becoming platinum-selling headliners on the cover of Rolling Stone.
This deluxe package is highlighted by the premiere commercial DVD release of a video recording of the second concert, a one hour 15-song program that was broadcast only once on Japanese television 30 years ago. The stunning DVD artifact features a new stereo mix and 5.1 Surround Sound by original 1978 producer Jack Douglas and engineer Jay Messina. At last, Cheap Trick fans can actually see and feel the moment come to life when – for the first time in history – lead singer Robin Zander exhorts the Japanese audience, “I Want YOU… to Want…ME!”
The four-disc package goes on to include (on disc two) a CD that replicates the audio of the DVD in its full 19-song length, also produced by Jack Douglas and Jay Messina. Discs three and four represent the previous 20th anniversary (1998) double-CD Live at Budokan (culled from multiple night’s concerts, as was the original 1978 LP), beautifully remastered in 2008 to sound better than ever, produced by Cheap Trick and Bruce Dickinson.
The November 11th release of 30th ANNIVERSARY EDITION follows – by just over six months – Cheap Trick’s anniversary performance of the album back at Budokan on April 24, 2008. (Ironically, this nearly mirrors the original timetable of the Budokan performances on April 28 and 30, 1978 – which became the classic LP for the Japanese market released October 1978.)
In a sense, rock and roll has been celebrating Live at Budokan non-stop since the day that the first Japanese import LP arrived in America, October 1978. By all rights, it was Boston’s WBCN that first began airing tracks from the album, back when playing imported product was a groundbreaking notion – even at so-called ‘progressive’ FM radio. From Philly to L.A., markets where Cheap Trick was only barely known on the radio, or where the band had only been seen as an opening act for Kiss or Santana or Queen or Boston – all of a sudden, Robin Zander’s mantra – “I Want YOU… to Want…ME!” – became an irresistible lure, a pop culture readymade.
Three decades later, LIVE AT BUDOKAN: 30th ANNIVERSARY EDITION proves how immortal some albums can be. The LP is ranked on Rolling Stone’s list of “500 Greatest Albums Of All Time,” and “Surrender” appears on the magazine’s “500 Greatest Singles Of All Time” list.

LIVE AT BUDOKAN: 30th ANNIVERSARY EDITION by CHEAP TRICK (Epic/Legacy 88697 73817 1 2; originally issued in Japan in October 1978; issued in the U.S. in February 1979, as Epic 35795)

Disc One: DVD (Friday, April 30, 1978) – Tracks:
1. Hello There
2. ELO Kiddies
3. Speak Now Or Forever Hold Your Peace
4. Look Out
5. Downed
6. Can’t Hold On
7. Oh Caroline
8. Surrender
9. Auf Wiedersehen
10. Southern Girls
11. I Want You To Want Me
12. California Man
13. Goodnight
14. Ain’t That a Shame
15. Clock Strikes Ten.

(Recordings produced by Cheap Trick and Bruce Dickinson. Audio mixed by Jack Douglas and Jay Messina.)

DVD BONUS FEATURES:
1. “Come On, Come On” 1978 Performance
2. “Voices” 2008 Performance
3. “If You Want My Love” 2008 Performance
4. Cheap Trick 2008 Interview Feature “Looking Back.

Disc Two: CD (Friday, April 30, 1978) – Selections:
1. Hello There
2. Come On, Come On
3. ELO Kiddies
4. Speak Now (Or Forever Hold Your Peace)
5. Big Eyes
6. Look Out
7. Downed
8. Can’t Hold On
9. Oh Caroline
10. Surrender
11. Auf Wiedersehen
12. Need Your Love
13. High Roller
14. Southern Girls
15. I Want You To Want Me
16. California Man
17. Goodnight
18. Ain’t That a Shame
19. Clock Strikes Ten.

(Produced by Cheap Trick, Bruce Dickinson and Jack Douglas).

Disc Three: CD – At Budokan: The Complete Concert – Selections:
1. Hello There
2. Come On, Come On
3. ELO Kiddies
4. Speak Now Or Forever Hold Your Peace
5. Big Eyes
6. Look Out
7. Downed
8. Can’t Hold On
9. Oh Caroline
10. Surrender
11. Auf Wiedersehen.

(Discs 3 & 4 produced by Cheap Trick and Bruce Dickinson)

Disc Four: CD – At Budokan: The Complete Concert (continued) – Selections:
1. Need Your Love
2. High Roller
3. Southern Girls
4. I Want You To Want Me
5. California Man
6. Goodnight
7. Ain’t That a Shame
8. Clock Strikes Ten.

(Discs 3 & 4 produced by Cheap Trick and Bruce Dickinson.)

cdollaz 10-03-08 07:16 PM

Kind of overkill to have the 3rd and 4th discs on there. I already have them and they are the same songs as disc 2.

Jack Straw 10-03-08 10:19 PM

I'm a big C.T. fan, so I'll probably end up shelling out for this set, including a double-dip on the CD set of the concert.

Rocketdog2000 10-03-08 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by cdollaz (Post 8982582)
Kind of overkill to have the 3rd and 4th discs on there. I already have them and they are the same songs as disc 2.

I'm a HUGE Cheap Trick fan, and I agree. Give me a set with the first two discs (DVD and CD), or just the DVD itself, and I'd be much happier. But who am I kidding? I'll still buy it anyway.

Josh-da-man 10-03-08 11:55 PM

Agreed on the overkill. A single CD and DVD would have been enough.

I never saw what the big deal about the "Live at Budokan" album was anyway.

nodeerforamonth 10-04-08 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 8983001)
Agreed on the overkill. A single CD and DVD would have been enough.

Agree with your agreement.

I never saw what the big deal about the "Live at Budokan" album was anyway.
WHAT!?!??! Shirley, you jest.

The Cow 10-04-08 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Flashback (Post 8981817)
(Discs 3 & 4 produced by Cheap Trick and Bruce Dickinson)

I wonder how much cowbell he got out of them. :)

Amazon has this up for $44.99

Eddie W 10-04-08 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by cdollaz (Post 8982582)

I'm assuming they're probably different versions since disc 2 is from a single show where the At Budokan album itself is made up of different shows. What I wonder is why 19 songs fit on a single disc on disc 2, but the same 19 songs take two discs on 3 & 4.

Kind of pricey since all I want is the DVD, but I've been waiting for this long enough that I'll bite. I've had this album in various forms since 1978 so it'll be nice to finally see it as well as hear it.

nodeerforamonth 10-04-08 11:54 AM

I've never compared the two (I have um... well... a copy of the show on DVD...), but I've heard the album (like all live albums at the time) had quite a bit of overdubs on it, and the DVD did not. So disks 3 & 4 may be a little different than what's on disk 2.

Jack Straw 10-05-08 11:12 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...BudokanBox.jpg

Case01 10-06-08 03:42 PM

If it's cheap enough I'll be happy to own this dvd.

cungar 10-06-08 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Jack Straw (Post 8986057)

No Rick Nielson Guitar Pick and Bow tie... no deal

Tenacious D 10-07-08 10:02 AM

I already have the 2 disc set from a few years ago, but I'm in for this set. It looks nice!

cdollaz 10-07-08 10:16 AM

I assume they will release the dvd separately at some point, for those who only want it.

Darth Maher 10-08-08 03:12 PM

My guess is that Disc 2 is wrong... it is probably the original single disc version with the following songs:

1. Hello There (Live)
2. Come On, Come On (Live)
3. Lookout (Live)
4. Big Eyes (Live)
5. Need Your Love (Live)
6. Ain't That A Shame (Live)
7. I Want You To Want Me (Live)
8. Surrender (Live)
9. Goodnight (Live)
10. Clock Strikes Ten (Live)

Rocketdog2000 10-08-08 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by cdollaz (Post 8988957)
I assume they will release the dvd separately at some point, for those who only want it.

I wouldn't count on it. If they do, it probably won't be for a year or so after this release comes out, if then. Otherwise, they would have just released the DVD separately at the same time as this release, and you would have had the option of going that route, or getting this "deluxe" edition. Not saying it'll never happen, but I wouldn't expect it any time soon. Look how long it's taken just to get the DVD released even as part of this package.

Numanoid 10-14-08 04:35 PM

I would just like to take this opportunity to ask the American people to stop pronouncing Budokan as "buddha-khan" and properly pronounce it as "boo-doh-khan".

My Japanese ex-wife never laughed so hard as when I said "buddha-khan"...apparently it takes on a whole different meaning when pronounced that way.

Matt Bowers 10-14-08 07:42 PM

Oh yeah? So, do tell. What does it mean when pronounced the wrong way? Just curious. And yes, I've been pronouncing it incorrectly since I was like 10 yrs old. :(

Nabalab 10-26-08 08:03 PM

Pre-ordered this last week from deepdiscount.com, since it was a few bucks cheaper than the other sites (not to mention, Amazon now charges tax to NY).

Anyways, saw CT on Friday night. Looks like they've added some Budokan songs back into the set to promote this.

Setlist was - Hello There, That 70's Song, California Man, Big Eyes, Oh Candy, If You Want My Love, Clock Strikes Ten, IWYTWM, I Know What I Want, Voices, Come On Come On, Downed, The Flame, Surrender....Encores were Goodnight Now, Dream Police, and Auf Wiedersehen.

Great show!

Ace Of Spades 10-28-08 02:43 AM

I've been waiting for this for so long (at least the DVD portion; I have the CDs already). I even have a boot of the original broadcast, but I'm still buying this.

Jack Straw 11-12-08 07:20 PM

Anyone pick this up? If so, how is the video and audio quality of the DVD?

hawk 11-13-08 02:04 PM

The video's good for the era imho and the 5.1 mix is quite good imho[not fake 5.1 real 5.1]

Eddie W 11-13-08 10:51 PM

The video is kind of weird because they've converted video to film. So when they put up the song titles you can see what it originally looked like on video. But then it goes to film once they disappear. Not a deal breaker, but just kind of odd. Luckily they kept in 4x3 instead of cropping for 16x9.

And as Hawk said, the audio is quite nice.

All & all to finally see something I've been listening to for 30 years, for BB's $29.99 this week is well worth it.

Flashback 11-19-08 12:38 PM

Amazon I just noticed has it for 30.99. Wonder if it will go any lower before I go for it.

Ace Of Spades 11-24-08 07:07 AM

Well, I must say that I love this release in every way except one...the packaging. The DVD and CDs just reside in slots die-cut into the packaging, hence causing scratching/marring with each removal or replacement of the discs. I will be moving these into jewel boxes to ensure their safety.
The release itself is great, far better than I expected (though I wished they'd kept the crisp look of the video as seen during the song title shots, as described above by Eddie W). It's just that the packaging sucks.