DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   The best new release day of the year! Anyone get anything? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/540368-best-new-release-day-year-anyone-get-anything.html)

Sessa17 09-24-08 04:04 PM

The best new music Tuesday of the year! Cold War, Jenny, TV, Kings!

Wouldn't normally post a thread for a new music Tuesday, & I know my tastes are different than most here (seems to be a heavy metal crowd).

But yesterday was a phenomenal new release Tuesday with 4 of my most anticipated albums of the year dropping on the same day. Anyone pick any of these up . . .

Kings of Leon - "Only By the Night" I was really, really disspointed w/ there last album. Just one of those "going through the motions" CDs, but I am diggin' the shit out of this one. A lot softer, more mellow, cleaned up tone, which for me works. And damn than second track "crawl", crank that song up, what great driving music. Best track on the album.

Jenny Lewis - "Acid Tongue"

Been posting in other threads here since the beginning of the year, that this was my most anticipated album of 2008. The hottest girl in music IMO, her 1st album was my #1 album of 2006 & her work in Rilo has been going down hill more & more w/ every album, so her solo work has me more & more psyched. Haven't listed to this yet, but I'll post my thoughts when I do. Utterly hating the packing of the CD though.

Cold War Kids - "Loyalty To Loyalty"

There debut was in my top 10 of '06, loved every single track on it, have been so psyched to here more from them. Will also post my thoughts after I listen to this one.

TV on the Radio - "Dear Science"

I need to listen more, but it looks to be the type of CD that can grow on me. Love "The Golden Age" & "Love Dog".

mdc3000 09-24-08 05:40 PM

Nothing for me...and nothing on the radar until the new Oasis on Oct. 6.

Hixx 09-24-08 06:38 PM

Don't forget the David Gilmour live set that I've heard good things about. Plus it features Richard Wright, RIP.

I picked up the TVOTR and it rules.

atlantamoi 09-24-08 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Sessa17 (Post 8960590)
her work in Rilo has been going down hill more & more w/ every album

Just a comment to say I disagree with this.

hawk 09-24-08 07:59 PM

I picked up the David Gilmour 4 disc set today.

Rocketdog2000 09-24-08 08:14 PM

That thread title should perhaps be changed, as it's a bit subjective. To you it may be, but to everyone else, they may not feel the same.

That said, as for the titles you listed...

Kings Of Leon - Well, they finally made a whole album I like. Before this, I dug the main single released off each album, but that was about it. Guess a lot of the hardcore fans aren't down with the change in musical direction on this disc, but I, for one, am all for it. At least I give a damn about them now.

Jenny Lewis - Got a free copy of this, but haven't listened to it yet. Although, I didn't really care much for her last solo release, so we'll see. I will say that I disagree about your comments to her regarding Rilo Kiley. I've found each album by them to be better and better - although the best track on the last album was Blake Sennet's sole lead vocal contribution "Dreamworld". ***ammended*** Listened to it today. Only gave it one spin, but not bad.

Cold War Kids - Won't likely be picking this up, as I never bothered getting the last one. Dug a couple of tunes off it, but otherwise thought it was overrated.

TV On The Radio - Was interested to check this one out based on what I've read about it, but after hearing a friend's copy, nothing really grabbed me. It wasn't bad, just not my bag.

Personally, I was far more interested in picking up the latest (and final) batch of The Replacements expanded edition remasters - Tim (6 bonus tracks), Pleased To Meet Me (11 bonus tracks), Don't Tell A Soul (7 bonus tracks) and All Shook Down (11 bonus tracks) - that came out today. Digging through all those will keep me more than busy for the next week.

brokenhanger 09-24-08 10:19 PM

This week was 2 digital singles for me - Bjork's 'Dull Flame of Desire' and Hot Chip's 'Hold On/Touch Too Much' remixes. Oh, and James' "Hey Ma", but that came out last week in the States so it doesn't really count I suppose, I'm just a bit behind.

Other than that, it's been a slow month for album releases for me.

nothingfails 09-24-08 10:22 PM

I almost picked up the new Pretenders on vinyl, but the fact that I'm a little low on cash right now and the fact that they haven't really had a good album since Get Close had me put it back

Rypro 525 09-24-08 10:28 PM

Next week will be big (at least for metal fans)
new stuff from amon amarth, in this moment, trivium, bleeding through

Gerry P. 09-25-08 02:35 AM

I tried to get the new TV on the Radio, but Best Buy didn't have the Deluxe Edition in stock.

DJLinus 09-25-08 08:23 AM

I'll be picking up the Jenny Lewis CD tomorrow or Saturday. Honestly, I don't care for the title track (the only song that I've heard off of it), but Rabbit Fur Coat was my favorite album of '06 and I'm still optimistic about the new one.

Dubya 09-25-08 08:35 AM

Kings of Leon is my favorite band to come along this decade. I like "Only By the Night" a lot but not quite as much as "Because Of The Times." I also picked up the remaster of "Tim" by The Replacements just for the bonus tracks.

nodeerforamonth 09-25-08 10:24 PM

You didn't put a date on your thread title. WHICH Tuesday are we talking about? The 23rd of Sept? If so, I picked up the next four Replacements reissues.

mh4268 09-25-08 10:46 PM

The Jenny Lewis disc packaging is a joke. I actually threw away the disc while doing some cleaning (quickly found it). I like her stuff with Rilo Kiley better than the solo stuff and agree with Rocketdog about Dreamworld, anyone listen to Blake's side project band

Gerry P. 09-26-08 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth (Post 8963891)
You didn't put a date on your thread title. WHICH Tuesday are we talking about? The 23rd of Sept? If so, I picked up the next four Replacements reissues.

Are they on sale anywhere?

cactusoly 09-26-08 07:11 AM

Metal Church : This Present Wasteland \m/

argh923 09-26-08 12:51 PM

Never heard of any of them.

The Bus 09-26-08 02:08 PM

Dear Science is on its way.

Gdrlv 09-26-08 04:04 PM

I picked up the same four discs as the OP. My thoughts...

TV on the Radio - Dear Science - I love it. Will likely sit right next to Stay Positive as my favorite of the year.

Jenny Lewis - Acid Tongue - Not sure if I like it as much as Rabbit Fur Coat or not. I love The Next Messiah though...killer track. Possibly the worst packaging of any disc I've ever bought.

Kings of Leon - Only by the Night - I haven't listened enough to form a concrete opinion. Can at least say that it's much better than Because of the Times.

Cold War Kids - Loyalty to Loyalty - Have not listened to much of this yet. Really dig the first single though.

Decker 09-26-08 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by abrg923 (Post 8965003)
Never heard of any of them.

Me neither. Picked up the Dave Gilmore 2CD/1DVD set at Best Buy, though. Haven't watched the DVD, but like what I heard of the CD last night.

Rocketdog2000 09-26-08 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Rocketdog
Personally, I was far more interested in picking up the latest (and final) batch of The Replacements expanded edition remasters - Tim (6 bonus tracks), Pleased To Meet Me (11 bonus tracks), Don't Tell A Soul (7 bonus tracks) and All Shook Down (11 bonus tracks) - that came out today. Digging through all those will keep me more than busy for the next week.

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth

Originally Posted by Gerry P. (Post 8964173)
Are they on sale anywhere?

Should be on sale everywhere. I've seen them at all my area music stores.

mndtrp 09-26-08 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Rypro 525 (Post 8961390)
Next week will be big (at least for metal fans)
new stuff from amon amarth, in this moment, trivium, bleeding through

Amon Amarth was delivered to my mailbox two days ago. I haven't watched the DVD yet, but the cd is fantastic. If you liked With Oden on our Side, you'll like the new one.

islandclaws 09-26-08 07:47 PM

I have no clue who any of those bands are but, hey, glad you're stoked.

Next week: Amon Amarth crushes all!

Gerry P. 09-28-08 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000 (Post 8965783)
Should be on sale everywhere. I've seen them at all my area music stores.

"On sale" meaning available at a discount price.

Rocketdog2000 09-28-08 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by Gerry P. (Post 8968479)
"On sale" meaning available at a discount price.

Yes, most of the places I saw them at had them "on sale". I suppose it will vary by who's around you, or, check the usual online outlets.