Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The best new release day of the year! Anyone get anything?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The best new release day of the year! Anyone get anything?

Old 09-28-08, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KillerCannibal View Post
I have no clue who any of those bands are but, hey, glad you're stoked.

Next week: Amon Amarth crushes all!
Like I said in my 1st post, this seems to be a largely metal crowd on this board, of which I'm not into at all. So I do realize my tastest differe from most here.

Also, the bands I posted definitely trend much more to a younger crowd.
Old 09-28-08, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Still waiting for my TV on the Radio LP to come in the mail

I'm not a huge Jenny Lewis fan but I might have to check it out just to see how bad the packaging is.
Old 09-29-08, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by scc15 View Post
Still waiting for my TV on the Radio LP to come in the mail

I'm not a huge Jenny Lewis fan but I might have to check it out just to see how bad the packaging is.
It basically looks like a CD single - just a single cardboard slipcase, with all the performance credits printed on the back. It's not even a didgipack, which while I still loathe, would have been better than this. For a full price listed CD, this is the cheapest packaging I've seen in a while.
Old 09-29-08, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
Yes, it's terrible. I picked it up on Saturday (haven't listened to it yet, though). Radio promo CDs have better packaging.

One of my arguments against downloading albums (from iTunes or otherwise) is to have the album artwork, liner notes, and such. I should've just cashed in my iTunes gift card on this one, but it's too late now since I already opened it.
Old 09-30-08, 03:00 AM

only tv on the radio's 'dear science,' lp which arrived today via insound w/ limited edition poster thingy.
Old 09-30-08, 10:38 AM

This week is more up to my tastes...
IN THIS MOMENT, Bleeding Through, Amon Amarth and probably something else I am forgetting...
Old 09-30-08, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Originally Posted by Sessa17 View Post
Like I said in my 1st post, this seems to be a largely metal crowd on this board, of which I'm not into at all. So I do realize my tastest differe from most here.

Also, the bands I posted definitely trend much more to a younger crowd.
Count me as a metalhead who likes the list in the first post. I haven't gotten to TV on the Radio yet, but I heard King of Leon and it is certainly different then their other work, which is OK by me. I'll have to get Jenny Lewis, since I thought it was coming out in October.

Also this week (via import apparently) Mark Lanegan and Isobel Campbell have a new one coming out. The first one was fantastic, and this one can only be that much better.
Old 09-30-08, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by macnorton View Post
Also this week (via import apparently) Mark Lanegan and Isobel Campbell have a new one coming out. The first one was fantastic, and this one can only be that much better.
Shit, nice reminder, I've love Campbell since Belle & Sebastian, I'm definitely going to have to track this one down.

I've gotten to listen to all these CDs a couple of times though now, & feel 2 are dissapointing & 2 great if not phenomenal.

I've got to say for all the praise the TV on the Radio CD is rather dissapointing IMO. Felt almost like a Gnarles Barkley CD & I swear at times "Golden Age", it sounded almost exactly like Flight of the Conchords, I could just picture Jamaine singing it with one of the pseudo-satire videos in the background.

Jenny Lewis- Acid Tongue - At first I didn't know what to think, but upon repeat listening, again she has put out an album of the year effort. The Next Messiah, is by far the best solo song she has ever done. "Jack Killed Mom" is a killer song, "Godspeed" is beautiful, "Bad Man's World" her voice is just so sexy on it, there really isn't a bad song on the album, maybe "see Fernando", but even that has grown on me. The only dissapointment for me is when I heard that Chris Robinson, was going to be on the album, I was really hoping for a duet type song, sort of like the Postal Service, as opposed to him just being in the background chorus.
Old 10-01-08, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts
Mogwai's The Hawk Is Howling was released last week, as well. I haven't heard it, but I'm sure it kicks ass.