DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Plane Crash kills 4. Travis Barker & DJ AM Critically injured (Perry Farrel?) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/540066-plane-crash-kills-4-travis-barker-dj-am-critically-injured-perry-farrel.html)

starman9000 09-20-08 09:31 AM

Plane Crash kills 4. Travis Barker & DJ AM Critically injured (Perry Farrel?)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26803108

COLUMBIA, S.C. - Former Blink-182 drummer Travis Barker and a popular disc jockey were critically injured in a Learjet crash in South Carolina that killed four people, authorities said Saturday.

Federal Aviation Administration spokeswoman Kathleen Bergen said the plane carrying six people was departing shortly before midnight Friday when air traffic controllers reporting seeing sparks. The plane went off a runway and crashed on a nearby road, she said.

Hospital spokeswoman Beth Frits said Barker and DJ AM, whose real name is Adam Goldstein, were in critical condition at a burn center in Augusta, Ga., about 75 miles southwest of Columbia.

NBC News reported that Barker, who also starred in MTV reality show "Meet the Barkers", had performed Friday night at an event alongside Perry Farrell, the former Jane's Addiction singer, as well as Gavin DeGraw and Goldstein.

'Terrible and tragic'
It was not clear whether Farrell and DeGraw were also traveling with Barker and Goldstein.

Federal officials confirmed that two crew members and two passengers were killed in the crash.
Terrible tragedy when 4 die. Has anyone else heard about the other two passengers possibly being Parry Farrell and Gavin DeGraw? MSN was the only place that seemed to even suggest it, but I imagine authorities don't want to release any information yet until families are contacted.

DarkEyes 09-20-08 09:42 AM

TMZ has just learned Perry Farrell of Jane's Addiction was
not on the plane that crashed, critically injuring Travis Barker and DJ AM.

What we have not accounted for -- whether Gavin DeGraw was on the plane.

http://www.tmz.com/2008/09/20/travis...-crash-photos/

http://www.tmz.com/2008/09/20/travis...r-plane-crash/

fumanstan 09-20-08 10:11 AM

Yikes, I really dig Barker so I hope he's ok :(

KnightLerxst 09-20-08 10:36 AM

Holy shit.

emanon 09-20-08 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by DarkEyes (Post 8951209)
TMZ has just learned Perry Farrell of Jane's Addiction was
not on the plane that crashed, critically injuring Travis Barker and DJ AM.

Been trying to find something that said this all morning...thanks!

islandclaws 09-20-08 10:59 AM

That really sucks. Lucky for them they were able to survive something like this. Pretty wild shit.

mdc3000 09-20-08 11:14 AM

My thoughts are with them and the families of the deceased... horrible when this kind of thing happens.

discostu1337 09-20-08 04:40 PM

I was so bummed out to wake up to this today...

I just saw Travis and Li'l Chris last week in Vegas, and now Chris is dead :(

Judging from witness reports, the two were up and about trying to put out each others fires and see what they could do about the plane. Better than being passed out on fire on the road I guess.

starman9000 09-20-08 08:24 PM

Seantn posted this in the Other forum:

From TMZ:

Tragic Twist In Jet Crash -- Why They Flew

Travis Barker's assistant wanted to get home in time for his pregnant wife to give birth.

We've now learned why Barker and his friends decided to get on that doomed Learjet in South Carolina late last night, and the explanation can only be described as a horribly cruel twist of fate.

It all started some time yesterday, when Barker's assistant, Chris Baker, told the guys that his wife was going into labor. Barker told him that he would do everything in his power to get Baker back to the hospital in time.

The quickest way back to Van Nuys was that Learjet. We're told Barker usually won't fly on private jets, but made an exception for what was supposed to be one of the happiest moments of Baker's life.

The plane crashed shortly after midnight, killing four people -- including Chris Baker. Baker's wife went into labor early this morning. Baker has another young child as well.
That is just horrible.

discostu1337 09-20-08 09:49 PM

wow....

This ties Heath Ledger's death as a WTF moment for me.

cungar 09-20-08 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by discostu1337 (Post 8952343)
wow....

This ties Heath Ledger's death as a WTF moment for me.

What year were you born? 2005?

PopcornTreeCt 09-20-08 11:12 PM

I wish Barker a full recovery...and a reunion with Blink 182.

mdc3000 09-21-08 09:49 AM

^Nothing like a near death experience to bring estranged people back together... there could be hope (although I'll just settle for a new +44 record).

gmal2003 09-21-08 10:07 AM

Thats horrible :(. I've just started playing drums and have looked at guys like Neil Peart, Travis Barker, and others as guys who I really enjoy. I believe both survivors are in the burn unit which is a horrible place to be. So sad that 4 others have died. Thats the real tragedy although this is devastating for all parties involved.

discostu1337 09-21-08 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by cungar (Post 8952390)
What year were you born? 2005?

Yeah, I'm 3...

WTF does that even mean? I think you're 3 dipshit...stay on topic.

Apparently the 2 are going to make a full recovery...yay!

cungar 09-21-08 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by discostu1337 (Post 8952907)
Yeah, I'm 3...

Apparently the 2 are going to make a full recovery...yay!

Apparently you're fond of the acronym WTF.

WTF would anyone state that the overdose of an actor and a plane crash involving musicians are events so momentous that they warrant such utter disbelief. These things have been happening practically every year for the last 50+ years. It's like being surprised an actress loses her virginity.

Michael T Hudson 09-21-08 05:55 PM

Still sad.

Refuting earlier reports that Chris Baker, Travis Barker's friend and business partner who was one of four people killed in a private-plane crash Friday night that left Barker and DJ AM severely injured, was on his way home to be with his pregnant wife, a rep for AM has released this statement:

"In regards to [inaccurate reports], Lil Chris Baker did not ask for a jet to meet his wife in delivery because she's not even pregnant. A private jet had always been chartered as DJ AM had a private engagement today in Los Angeles."

Baker and his wife are parents of a 2-year-old son.

The 29-year-old Studio City, Calif., resident managed Barker's L.A. punk-fashion boutique Fast Life and was frequently seen on the drummer's MTV reality series Meet the Barkers.

http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b301...baker_not.html

NoirFan 09-21-08 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt (Post 8952429)
I wish Barker a full recovery...and a reunion with Blink 182.

I agree with the first half of that statement.

cungar 09-21-08 08:35 PM

"...burned below the waist, but expected to survive; with an emulsified penis."

Joseph M. Still Burn Center
3651 Wheeler Road
Augusta, GA 30909
Telephone #: 706.651.6661
TOLL-FREE: 1.877.863.9595

:helpme:

Sean O'Hara 09-21-08 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by discostu1337 (Post 8952907)
Yeah, I'm 3...

I think the point is that aviation accidents involving musicians are so common that they have their own category in Wikipedia, a famous pop song on the subject, a joke in Almost Famous, etc.

And is Heath Ledger O.D.ing any more shocking than when it happened to Marilyn Monroe, Janis Joplin, Keith Moon, Jim Morrison, Shannon Hoon, Ike Turner, etc?

A WTF moment is when Jayne Mansfield is decapitated in a car accident, Natalie Wood disappears from a boat with Robert Wagner and Christopher Walken on board, or Phil Hartman's wife going crazy and killing him.

Tarantino 09-22-08 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara (Post 8953994)
I think the point is that aviation accidents involving musicians are so common that they have their own category in Wikipedia, a famous pop song on the subject, a joke in Almost Famous, etc.

And is Heath Ledger O.D.ing any more shocking than when it happened to Marilyn Monroe, Janis Joplin, Keith Moon, Jim Morrison, Shannon Hoon, Ike Turner, etc?

A WTF moment is when Jayne Mansfield is decapitated in a car accident, Natalie Wood disappears from a boat with Robert Wagner and Christopher Walken on board, or Phil Hartman's wife going crazy and killing him.

Hey, someone has an opinion that's different than yours.

Who gives a shit.

= J

PopcornTreeCt 09-24-08 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara (Post 8953994)

Marilyn Monroe was murdered.

That is all.