Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Kiss - I was made for lovin you

Old 09-15-08, 06:43 PM
  #1  
Ram
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 257
Kiss - I was made for lovin you

What do you guys think of this song?
Ram is offline  
Old 09-15-08, 07:01 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Hokeyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 18,961
Who's KISS?
Hokeyboy is offline  
Old 09-15-08, 08:06 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 2,864
IMO: worst. song. ever.
edclem is offline  
Old 09-15-08, 09:48 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 12,236
Terrible song by an awfully terrible band.
Coral is offline  
Old 09-15-08, 10:32 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 7,533
Originally Posted by edclem View Post
IMO: worst. song. ever.
Oh come on. There's PLENTY of worse songs than this. Anything by Pink Floyd. Anything by U2. Metallica's "Nothing Else Matters".
nodeerforamonth is offline  
Old 09-15-08, 10:33 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 7,533
Originally Posted by Coral View Post
Terrible song by an awfully terrible band.
Thanks for the threadcrap.
nodeerforamonth is offline  
Old 09-16-08, 01:25 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Home of the Maize & Blue (Ann Arbor, Michigan)
Posts: 1,119
Great song by an amazing great band.
johnbook is offline  
Old 09-16-08, 02:23 AM
  #8  
Mod Emeritus
 
benedict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Outside of the U.S.A.
Posts: 10,674
Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth View Post
Thanks for the threadcrap.
THis was no more a threadcrap than was your posts citing Pink Floyd & U2. The OP simply asked for opinions and duly received one.

I can see this thread descending into trashtalking and name-calling etc but I'll leave it open for those that a) can transcend such behaviour or b) just need enough rope.
benedict is offline  
Old 09-16-08, 06:52 AM
  #9  
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 1,147
Back in the day I would never have admitted liking it, but I (secretly) did. It was what it was . . . a crossover (disco-groove) song that was perfect for the time.
JAA is offline  
Old 09-16-08, 08:37 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
B5Erik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Southern California
Posts: 8,952
Two of my favorite versions of the song....

B5Erik is offline  
Old 09-16-08, 08:44 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: South Bay
Posts: 57,190
People can hate on IWMFLY all they want for being a Disco Sell Out or whatever. But the truth is it's a great song and KISS really turns it up a notch when doing it live. I know people who hate KISS but still like that song.
Giantrobo is offline  
Old 09-16-08, 09:02 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 30,844
"I Was Made for Loving You" was proof positive that "KISS Meets the Phantom" wasn't just a fluke, and the band was indeed on a downward spiral into camp.
Josh-da-man is offline  
Old 09-16-08, 06:51 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: chicago
Posts: 3,103
Originally Posted by Coral View Post
Terrible song by an awfully terrible band.
dont you mean great song by an awfully terrible band?
chino77 is offline  
Old 09-16-08, 06:55 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: chicago
Posts: 3,103
Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth View Post
Thanks for the threadcrap.
yes please keep your negative opinions to yourself when replying to a thread that asks for opinions.

this thread should have been a poll btw.
chino77 is offline  
Old 09-16-08, 07:04 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Next stop, Earth.
Posts: 3,262
Kiss didn't sell out because they were never really about the music in the first place.

Personally, I do not care for anything by them.
porieux is offline  
Old 09-16-08, 08:06 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,353
Originally Posted by porieux View Post
Kiss didn't sell out because they were never really about the music in the first place.

Personally, I do not care for anything by them.
Spoken like a true non-KISS fan. Tell that to Paul Stanley, because I'm sure he'd have some issue with it. Same for Ace and Peter. Gene, on the other hand, well I can't defend him so much.

Anyway, some info for the uneducated. The song was initially written as a lark, just to prove how easy it was to write a song in that style (disco). The fact that it became a huge hit despite that, says more about the "general" music listening/buying public that it does about the band.

Personally, a bit of a guilty pleasure - but I much prefer the way the band performs it currently. It least it has some balls now.

Last edited by Rocketdog2000; 09-16-08 at 08:10 PM.
Rocketdog2000 is offline  
Old 09-16-08, 10:20 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: chicago
Posts: 3,103
Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000 View Post
Spoken like a true non-KISS fan. Tell that to Paul Stanley, because I'm sure he'd have some issue with it. Same for Ace and Peter. Gene, on the other hand, well I can't defend him so much.

Anyway, some info for the uneducated. The song was initially written as a lark, just to prove how easy it was to write a song in that style (disco). The fact that it became a huge hit despite that, says more about the "general" music listening/buying public that it does about the band.

Personally, a bit of a guilty pleasure - but I much prefer the way the band performs it currently. It least it has some balls now.
spoken like a true kiss fan. so that song was written as a lark but the rest of the cd was serious? what is your excuse for the rest of the cd? what about lets put the x in sex? wow kiss is a great band! they are the worse band to ever to ever be called hard rock.
chino77 is offline  
Old 09-16-08, 10:44 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
DaveWadding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 3,887
Originally Posted by chino77 View Post
what is your excuse for the rest of the cd? what about lets put the x in sex?
What does a song written almost 10 years after Dynasty have to do with Dynasty exactly?
DaveWadding is offline  
Old 09-16-08, 10:56 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
B5Erik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Southern California
Posts: 8,952
Originally Posted by chino77 View Post
spoken like a true kiss fan. so that song was written as a lark but the rest of the cd was serious? what is your excuse for the rest of the cd? what about lets put the x in sex? wow kiss is a great band! they are the worse band to ever to ever be called hard rock.
If you mean, "They are the worsT band ever to be called hard rock," then the answer is, "Not even close." There have been some absolutely godawful bands out there - most of which you've probably never even heard of (and most of which I've forgotten about since the 80's and 90's).

As to, "Let's Put the X in Sex," that's a crap song, IMO. Most bands have crap songs during their careers - at least if they last past the first or second album. If you survive for 35 years it's almost impossible NOT to have an entire album's worth of crap songs spread out over that span of time.

KISS, on the other hand, have written and recorded some of the absolute best Hard Rock songs ever. "Strutter," "Firehouse," "Cold Gin," "Deuce," "100,000 Years," "Black Diamond," "Got To Choose," "Hotter Than Hell," etc, etc, etc. Great songs.

The singles do not do them justice. Well, some do, some don't. People tend to remember the fluff, unfortunately, and either never hear or forget the really good stuff (because it never gets on the radio).
B5Erik is offline  
Old 09-16-08, 11:02 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
B5Erik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Southern California
Posts: 8,952
This song kicks ass!
B5Erik is offline  
Old 09-16-08, 11:14 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 7,533
Originally Posted by benedict View Post
THis was no more a threadcrap than was your posts citing Pink Floyd & U2. The OP simply asked for opinions and duly received one.
Yeah, but I gave examples of how "I Was Made For Loving You" was NOT the "worst song ever". It may be close, but it's not "the worst". If anything, I was defending the song by pointing out that I disagree with edclem.

I didn't actively go into a Pink Floyd or U2 thread and say "they suck and are horrible", which I believe is the defintion of "threadcrap".

Last edited by nodeerforamonth; 09-16-08 at 11:26 PM.
nodeerforamonth is offline  
Old 09-17-08, 02:16 AM
  #22  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,353
Originally Posted by chino77 View Post
spoken like a true kiss fan. so that song was written as a lark but the rest of the cd was serious? what is your excuse for the rest of the cd? what about lets put the x in sex? wow kiss is a great band! they are the worse band to ever to ever be called hard rock.
Well, yeah genius, you got me there - I'm a KISS fan alright. (And PS, jokes like that are usually only funny the first time someone makes them, so you're a bit late there. Nice try, though no A for effort.)

I also don't need an excuse for the Dynasty album, because I've got no problems with it. I like it, you don't. End of discussion on that point. You wanna know more, head on over to the other KISS thread we got going (although somehow, I doubt you will).

As for "Let's Put The X In Sex" - as has already been pointed out, this song and Dynasty were 10 years apart, so what's one thing got to do with the other? Other than the fact that both were co-written with Desmond Child (maybe that's the problem?), and were performed by KISS, that's the only connection. However, while I like "I Was Made...", I too think "X In Sex" is pure crap. But, as B5Erik pointed out EVERY band, especially one that's been in the biz as long as they have, makes the occasional crap song here and there. EVERY band. Even the ones you like, that I'm sure others of us here don't, too. But just for your information, even Paul Stanley, the guy who co-wrote the song, isn't too proud of it either. Here's a few direct quotes about it from the horse's mouth in the book that accompanied the KISS boxset...

- It's sometimes difficult to talk about songs because it can be misconstrued. In retrospect, "X In Sex" was the best I could do at the time. So once again the effort was 100%. However, in a life span of band as long as ours, there are bound to be missteps and downright falls.
This song is way too cute for me, and derivative in a way that goes beyond being influenced by something and being obliterated by it. It's a song I have no real feelings for except it was again a blessing in that MTV played it and kept us in the spotlight at a time when music, when rock and roll was certainly not in it's finest hour.
It came from Smashes, Thrashes & Hits, which was a "best of" compilation that featured two new songs - both of which I had hand in, both of which I wish I hadn't had hands.

Last edited by Rocketdog2000; 09-17-08 at 02:32 AM.
Rocketdog2000 is offline  
Old 09-17-08, 03:29 AM
  #23  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,468
It's definitely one of the best rock-bands-going-disco songs of the disco era.

Thumbs up.
Gerry P. is offline  
Old 09-17-08, 09:02 AM
  #24  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: waiting for forum.dvdtalk.com ...
Posts: 2,755
Originally Posted by Gerry P. View Post
It's definitely one of the best rock-bands-going-disco songs of the disco era.

Thumbs up.
well said.
kms_md is offline  
Old 09-17-08, 09:25 AM
  #25  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Hokeyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 18,961
Originally Posted by chino77 View Post
spoken like a true kiss fan. so that song was written as a lark but the rest of the cd was serious? what is your excuse for the rest of the cd? what about lets put the x in sex? wow kiss is a great band! they are the worse band to ever to ever be called hard rock.
You couldn't sound more ignorant (and slightly illiterate -- the "worse" [sic] band ever? Sheesh...)

As TOO many people have mentioned, "Lets Put The X In Sex" was not on Dynasty, and in fact was released TEN YEARS after I Was Made For Loving You. And that DYNASTY has a bunch of really good, NON-disco songs on it, but I doubt you've ever listened to a lick of it. I'm not going to argue that KISS didn't devolve into self-parody more than a few times, but they have enough quality in much of their material (especially in the early phase, my personal favorite (debut album, Hotter Than Hell, Dressed To Kill, Alive!)) that to relegate them to the status of "novelty band" is just plain stupid.
Hokeyboy is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.