Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Kiss - I was made for lovin you

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Kiss - I was made for lovin you

Old 09-17-08, 09:41 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by Coral
Terrible song by an awfully terrible band.
I would have to agree. KISS has some good songs, even a few great ones (mostly from their first album), but this is not one of them.
Old 09-17-08, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
The only KISS song I like is Black Diamond but only the version the Replacements did.
Old 09-17-08, 03:16 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by cungar
The only KISS song I like is Black Diamond but only the version the Replacements did.
That's certainly a far superior version but it does demonstrate how it's a much better song than the original version would indicate. The Donnas did a great version of "Strutter", I should mention.
Old 09-17-08, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wendersfan
That's certainly a far superior version but it does demonstrate how it's a much better song than the original version would indicate. The Donnas did a great version of "Strutter", I should mention.
I like the Replacements version, but it's hardly superior - only different. As for KISS, the version on Alive! is better than the studio version - but I'd chock that more up to the producers and the way they recorded it. Even the original is still pretty good.
Old 09-17-08, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,875 Posts
Let's put... the X in sex!... Love's like a muscle and you make me wanna flex!

...shudder...
Old 09-18-08, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a nine year old, I enjoyed "I Was Made for Loving You." As a nine year old to my current 38 years old, I think 2,000 Man is an extra ordinary song.

They did what they thought they needed to do in 1979 to succeed. They got caught up from being a band people respected (somewhat) to a band your little eight year old brother liked.

Look at the Grateful Dead. I don't judge their career by Shakedown Street or Go to Heaven. Besides, anybody who looked to KISS just for their musical ability was mistaken anyway. They were much Larger Than Life.

I've never heard The Replacement's version, nor did I know one existed. I will check it out. The only covers I remember where what was on KISS MY ASS, and I know those were screened very heavily by the band (Gene and Paul, since Ace was heavily blacked out in most of the pictures). But Bob Dylan proves that most people can cover a song better than the original artist...See any song written by Dylan covered by another artist. BUT Dylan WROTE it. That has to mean something.

Last edited by duse; 09-18-08 at 10:22 PM.
Old 09-19-08, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by duse
But Bob Dylan proves that most people can cover a song better than the original artist...See any song written by Dylan covered by another artist. BUT Dylan WROTE it. That has to mean something.
You make a quite excellent point. Bravo!
Old 09-20-08, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by duse
AsBut Bob Dylan proves that most people can cover a song better than the original artist...See any song written by Dylan covered by another artist. BUT Dylan WROTE it. That has to mean something.
another good example is Prince. Don't get me wrong, I love the mans own material, but he has written and performed so much material that is even better when someone else does it, namely female artists. Chaka Khan's I Feel For You, Cyndi Lauper's When You Were Mine and Sinead O'Connor's Nothing Compares 2 U all come to mind as superior to his own renditions (and yes I know NC2U was recorded first by The Family, but Sinead's version is definately better than Prince's own version of it that he did after Sinead took it to #1). Of course, there are exceptions to the rule, such as Mariah Carey's Beautiful Ones.

Regarding KISS covers, I always liked Lenny Kravitz's version of Deuce.
Old 09-20-08, 05:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,875 Posts
Originally Posted by Gerry P.
It's definitely one of the best rock-bands-going-disco songs of the disco era.

Thumbs up.
Not saying much.

"Emotional Rescue?" (God, I hate that song.)
Old 09-20-08, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
I love this song. "Disco KISS !!! "
Old 09-20-08, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 475 Likes on 349 Posts
Disco?

Not this version....
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0vLUPP62xD8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0vLUPP62xD8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

For my money this is THE definitive version of the song, and it shows that this was just a Hard Rock song with Disco trappings back in 1979....
Old 09-21-08, 03:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Not saying much.

"Emotional Rescue?" (God, I hate that song.)
On the other hand, "Miss You"... fantastic.
Old 09-22-08, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by DaveWadding
What does a song written almost 10 years after Dynasty have to do with Dynasty exactly?
i was drunk and saying they have some very very bad songs.

Last edited by chino77; 09-22-08 at 06:24 PM.
Old 09-22-08, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
even Paul Stanley, the guy who co-wrote the song, isn't too proud of it either. Here's a few direct quotes about it from the horse's mouth in the book that accompanied the KISS boxset...

- It's sometimes difficult to talk about songs because it can be misconstrued. In retrospect, "X In Sex" was the best I could do at the time. So once again the effort was 100%. However, in a life span of band as long as ours, there are bound to be missteps and downright falls.
This song is way too cute for me, and derivative in a way that goes beyond being influenced by something and being obliterated by it. It's a song I have no real feelings for except it was again a blessing in that MTV played it and kept us in the spotlight at a time when music, when rock and roll was certainly not in it's finest hour.
It came from Smashes, Thrashes & Hits, which was a "best of" compilation that featured two new songs - both of which I had hand in, both of which I wish I hadn't had hands.
that gave me a touch of respect for paul...not much but a bit more than i had before.
Old 09-22-08, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Matt Millheiser
As TOO many people have mentioned, "Lets Put The X In Sex" was not on Dynasty, and in fact was released TEN YEARS after I Was Made For Loving You.
just to be clear i never meant it was on dynasty. i dont even see how the hell you guys got that impression...i guess it has something to do with being a kiss fan.
Old 09-22-08, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by chino77
just to be clear i never meant it was on dynasty. i dont even see how the hell you guys got that impression...i guess it has something to do with being a kiss fan.
some KISS fans are just as obnoxious as Madonna and Michael Jackson fans. I remember a few months ago being attacked as someone who only knows "Rock N' Roll All Nite" when I even named Revenge, Lick It Up and Creatures Of The Night as great albums in the same thread simply because I think Gene Simmons is a greedy douchebag who represents what's wrong with the music industry if he refuses to record new material because someone could download it. For that reason, I got attacked and dismissed even tho I'd been a fan of theirs since 1992 simply because I thought Gene sounded like a prick for attacking Radiohead and NIN trying new types of techniques for their fans to listen to their albums. I mean, I've had every KISS album in my collection at one point or another but because I don't think Gene Simmons is the messiah, I'm just some hater whose only ever heard "Rock N' Roll All Nite" to some.
Old 09-23-08, 04:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nothingfails
some KISS fans are just as obnoxious as Madonna and Michael Jackson fans. I remember a few months ago being attacked as someone who only knows "Rock N' Roll All Nite" when I even named Revenge, Lick It Up and Creatures Of The Night as great albums in the same thread simply because I think Gene Simmons is a greedy douchebag who represents what's wrong with the music industry if he refuses to record new material because someone could download it. For that reason, I got attacked and dismissed even tho I'd been a fan of theirs since 1992 simply because I thought Gene sounded like a prick for attacking Radiohead and NIN trying new types of techniques for their fans to listen to their albums. I mean, I've had every KISS album in my collection at one point or another but because I don't think Gene Simmons is the messiah, I'm just some hater whose only ever heard "Rock N' Roll All Nite" to some.

Gene playing The Demon

Gene playing himself

And to stay on topic, I like the song and Dynasty is one of my favorite Kiss albums. It's just fun.