Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Kiss - I was made for lovin you

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 09-15-08, 06:43 PM
Ram
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do you guys think of this song?
Old 09-15-08, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 695 Likes on 429 Posts
Who's KISS?
Old 09-15-08, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

IMO: worst. song. ever.
Old 09-15-08, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 839 Likes on 586 Posts
Terrible song by an awfully terrible band.
Old 09-15-08, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by edclem
IMO: worst. song. ever.
Oh come on. There's PLENTY of worse songs than this. Anything by Pink Floyd. Anything by U2. Metallica's "Nothing Else Matters".
Old 09-15-08, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Coral
Thanks for the threadcrap.
Old 09-16-08, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Great song by an amazing great band.
Old 09-16-08, 02:23 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
THis was no more a threadcrap than was your posts citing Pink Floyd & U2. The OP simply asked for opinions and duly received one.

I can see this thread descending into trashtalking and name-calling etc but I'll leave it open for those that a) can transcend such behaviour or b) just need enough rope.
Old 09-16-08, 06:52 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Back in the day I would never have admitted liking it, but I (secretly) did. It was what it was . . . a crossover (disco-groove) song that was perfect for the time.
Old 09-16-08, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 478 Likes on 350 Posts
Two of my favorite versions of the song....

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Yut0F0VHh1A&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Yut0F0VHh1A&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object><object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BvIDfXH3Ik4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BvIDfXH3Ik4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 09-16-08, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
People can hate on IWMFLY all they want for being a Disco Sell Out or whatever. But the truth is it's a great song and KISS really turns it up a notch when doing it live. I know people who hate KISS but still like that song.
Old 09-16-08, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,878 Posts
"I Was Made for Loving You" was proof positive that "KISS Meets the Phantom" wasn't just a fluke, and the band was indeed on a downward spiral into camp.
Old 09-16-08, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Coral
dont you mean great song by an awfully terrible band?
Old 09-16-08, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
yes please keep your negative opinions to yourself when replying to a thread that asks for opinions.

this thread should have been a poll btw.
Old 09-16-08, 07:04 PM

Kiss didn't sell out because they were never really about the music in the first place.

Personally, I do not care for anything by them.
Old 09-16-08, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by porieux
Kiss didn't sell out because they were never really about the music in the first place.

Personally, I do not care for anything by them.
Spoken like a true non-KISS fan. Tell that to Paul Stanley, because I'm sure he'd have some issue with it. Same for Ace and Peter. Gene, on the other hand, well I can't defend him so much.

Anyway, some info for the uneducated. The song was initially written as a lark, just to prove how easy it was to write a song in that style (disco). The fact that it became a huge hit despite that, says more about the "general" music listening/buying public that it does about the band.

Personally, a bit of a guilty pleasure - but I much prefer the way the band performs it currently. It least it has some balls now.

Last edited by Rocketdog2000; 09-16-08 at 08:10 PM.
Old 09-16-08, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
Spoken like a true non-KISS fan. Tell that to Paul Stanley, because I'm sure he'd have some issue with it. Same for Ace and Peter. Gene, on the other hand, well I can't defend him so much.

Anyway, some info for the uneducated. The song was initially written as a lark, just to prove how easy it was to write a song in that style (disco). The fact that it became a huge hit despite that, says more about the "general" music listening/buying public that it does about the band.

Personally, a bit of a guilty pleasure - but I much prefer the way the band performs it currently. It least it has some balls now.
spoken like a true kiss fan. so that song was written as a lark but the rest of the cd was serious? what is your excuse for the rest of the cd? what about lets put the x in sex? wow kiss is a great band! they are the worse band to ever to ever be called hard rock.
Old 09-16-08, 10:44 PM

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by chino77
what is your excuse for the rest of the cd? what about lets put the x in sex?
What does a song written almost 10 years after Dynasty have to do with Dynasty exactly?
Old 09-16-08, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

spoken like a true kiss fan. so that song was written as a lark but the rest of the cd was serious? what is your excuse for the rest of the cd? what about lets put the x in sex? wow kiss is a great band! they are the worse band to ever to ever be called hard rock.
If you mean, "They are the worsT band ever to be called hard rock," then the answer is, "Not even close." There have been some absolutely godawful bands out there - most of which you've probably never even heard of (and most of which I've forgotten about since the 80's and 90's).

As to, "Let's Put the X in Sex," that's a crap song, IMO. Most bands have crap songs during their careers - at least if they last past the first or second album. If you survive for 35 years it's almost impossible NOT to have an entire album's worth of crap songs spread out over that span of time.

KISS, on the other hand, have written and recorded some of the absolute best Hard Rock songs ever. "Strutter," "Firehouse," "Cold Gin," "Deuce," "100,000 Years," "Black Diamond," "Got To Choose," "Hotter Than Hell," etc, etc, etc. Great songs.

The singles do not do them justice. Well, some do, some don't. People tend to remember the fluff, unfortunately, and either never hear or forget the really good stuff (because it never gets on the radio).
Old 09-16-08, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This song kicks ass!
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/v1tRXPPxwbs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/v1tRXPPxwbs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 09-16-08, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by benedict
THis was no more a threadcrap than was your posts citing Pink Floyd & U2. The OP simply asked for opinions and duly received one.
Yeah, but I gave examples of how "I Was Made For Loving You" was NOT the "worst song ever". It may be close, but it's not "the worst". If anything, I was defending the song by pointing out that I disagree with edclem.

I didn't actively go into a Pink Floyd or U2 thread and say "they suck and are horrible", which I believe is the defintion of "threadcrap".

Last edited by nodeerforamonth; 09-16-08 at 11:26 PM.
Old 09-17-08, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, yeah genius, you got me there - I'm a KISS fan alright. (And PS, jokes like that are usually only funny the first time someone makes them, so you're a bit late there. Nice try, though no A for effort.)

I also don't need an excuse for the Dynasty album, because I've got no problems with it. I like it, you don't. End of discussion on that point. You wanna know more, head on over to the other KISS thread we got going (although somehow, I doubt you will).

As for "Let's Put The X In Sex" - as has already been pointed out, this song and Dynasty were 10 years apart, so what's one thing got to do with the other? Other than the fact that both were co-written with Desmond Child (maybe that's the problem?), and were performed by KISS, that's the only connection. However, while I like "I Was Made...", I too think "X In Sex" is pure crap. But, as B5Erik pointed out EVERY band, especially one that's been in the biz as long as they have, makes the occasional crap song here and there. EVERY band. Even the ones you like, that I'm sure others of us here don't, too. But just for your information, even Paul Stanley, the guy who co-wrote the song, isn't too proud of it either. Here's a few direct quotes about it from the horse's mouth in the book that accompanied the KISS boxset...

- It's sometimes difficult to talk about songs because it can be misconstrued. In retrospect, "X In Sex" was the best I could do at the time. So once again the effort was 100%. However, in a life span of band as long as ours, there are bound to be missteps and downright falls.
This song is way too cute for me, and derivative in a way that goes beyond being influenced by something and being obliterated by it. It's a song I have no real feelings for except it was again a blessing in that MTV played it and kept us in the spotlight at a time when music, when rock and roll was certainly not in it's finest hour.
It came from Smashes, Thrashes & Hits, which was a "best of" compilation that featured two new songs - both of which I had hand in, both of which I wish I hadn't had hands.

Last edited by Rocketdog2000; 09-17-08 at 02:32 AM.
Old 09-17-08, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's definitely one of the best rock-bands-going-disco songs of the disco era.

Thumbs up.
Old 09-17-08, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Gerry P.
It's definitely one of the best rock-bands-going-disco songs of the disco era.

Thumbs up.
well said.
Old 09-17-08, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 695 Likes on 429 Posts
You couldn't sound more ignorant (and slightly illiterate -- the "worse" [sic] band ever? Sheesh...)

As TOO many people have mentioned, "Lets Put The X In Sex" was not on Dynasty, and in fact was released TEN YEARS after I Was Made For Loving You. And that DYNASTY has a bunch of really good, NON-disco songs on it, but I doubt you've ever listened to a lick of it. I'm not going to argue that KISS didn't devolve into self-parody more than a few times, but they have enough quality in much of their material (especially in the early phase, my personal favorite (debut album, Hotter Than Hell, Dressed To Kill, Alive!)) that to relegate them to the status of "novelty band" is just plain stupid.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.