Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official METAL! Thread- Metalcore, Thrash, Progressive, Death, and MORE

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The Official METAL! Thread- Metalcore, Thrash, Progressive, Death, and MORE

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-10, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Official METAL! Thread- Metalcore, Thrash, Progressive, Death, and MORE

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Slough Feg is awesome. They stick to one sound that works for them, so it can be easy for me to overplay them, but I think they're unique and I really want to check them out live sometime.

As for the new Agalloch, it's epic. Really an amazing piece of work.
Hell yea man, I love how they have that bit of punk thrash with them. The vocals are some of the best, defiantly unique. Have you heard Brocas Helm?

I ordered Slough and the new Agalloch from Profound Lore, I was waiting for The End, but they have Slough for like $3 more and still cant carry Agalloch. I dont think theyll be getting much of my business anymore.

I had no idea about that other Gold group Asia. That old guy in the pic looks like him!!
Old 12-10-10, 01:27 AM

I'm going to have to check out Agalloch. Looks like their tour is just about to come through Seattle. For whatever reason, I've had a bad luck streak of getting into a band right after they've come through.
Old 12-21-10, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Got my tickets for Agalloch in L.A. tonight! I saw their set for this tour and it looks killer. Can't wait to grab all the merch I can handle.
Old 12-21-10, 03:34 PM

I'll be at the San Francisco show. I'm at least equally excited for Dispirit, which features John Gossard of infamous Bay Area black and doom metal bands Weakling, The Gault and Asunder (to name just a few). If you know anything about Gossard and his bands' reputations, as well as Agalloch's rather unfavorable reputation for live shows, you'd be at least as excited for Dispirit also.
Old 12-21-10, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by roughdraft_zero
I'll be at the San Francisco show. I'm at least equally excited for Dispirit, which features John Gossard of infamous Bay Area black and doom metal bands Weakling, The Gault and Asunder (to name just a few). If you know anything about Gossard and his bands' reputations, as well as Agalloch's rather unfavorable reputation for live shows, you'd be at least as excited for Dispirit also.
Asunder is soooooo good. Wish they would have stuck around.
Old 12-21-10, 07:55 PM

Listen to Dispirit. It's like a Weakling/Asunder lovechild.
Old 01-31-11, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

Amon Amarth have their new track up, plus decently priced preorder options.

<object height="81" width="100%"><param name="movie" value="http://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapi.soundcloud.com%2Ftracks%2F9718384&show_comments=false&color=f68806"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed allowscriptaccess="always" height="81" src="http://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapi.soundcloud.com%2Ftracks%2F9718384&show_comments=false&color=f68806" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%"></embed></object>Amon Amarth "War of the Gods" by Metal Blade Records

http://www.surturrising.com/
Old 01-31-11, 10:01 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

This is my favorite album of 2010, quite possibly the best album put out by Overkill, and I am a big fan of their early stuff:

Old 02-01-11, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mndtrp

<object height="81" width="100%"><param name="movie" value="http://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapi.soundcloud.com%2Ftracks%2F9718384&show_comments=false&color=f68806"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed allowscriptaccess="always" height="81" src="http://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapi.soundcloud.com%2Ftracks%2F9718384&show_comments=false&color=f68806" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%"></embed></object>Amon Amarth "War of the Gods" by Metal Blade Records

Love it. Def sounds like Amon Amarth but doesn't make it any less awesome
Old 02-01-11, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by PerryD
This is my favorite album of 2010, quite possibly the best album put out by Overkill, and I am a big fan of their early stuff:

Agreed, they still have it.
Old 02-01-11, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Fuck yes. This will be in heavy rotation at the gym. They don't evolve much, but I love AA's style.
Old 02-01-11, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Overkill is still great but the riffing was much more interesting to me on the Under The Influence - Horrorscope span.
Old 02-03-11, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Awesome tour rolling through this Spring.

Helmet, St. Vitus, Crowbar, Kylesa, Howl, Red Fang and The Atlas Moth

3/17 Dallas, TX @ Southside Music Hall
3/18 Austin, TX @ Dirty Dog / SXSW
3/19 New Orleans, LA @ One Eyed Jacks
3/20 St Petersburg, FL @ State Theater
3/21 Orlando, FL @ Firestone Live
3/22 Greensboro, NC @ Greene Street
3/23 Springfield, VA @ Jaxx
3/24 Worcester, MA @ Palladium
3/25 New York, NY @ Irving Plaza
3/26 Cleveland, OH @ Peabody's
3/27 Joliet, IL @ Mojoe's
3/29 Denver, CO @ The Summit
3/31 Portland, OR @ Roseland Theater
4/1 Seattle, WA @ El Corazon
4/3 San Francisco, CA @ Mezzanine
4/5 Hollywood, CA @ House Of Blues
Old 02-11-11, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Good god, Agalloch is gonna go on tour and come near me! I cannot fucking wait! Not only that, I JUST found out ProgPower will have ARTCTURUS!!!!!! One of my favorite groups and man I may have to take the trip out there. I really hope they do a new album!! Them plus Dream Evil, While Heaven Wept, Sanctuary... wow. Anyone ever been to a ProgPower?
Old 02-12-11, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd be stoked to see Arcturus... if Rygg was still the singer.

Speaking of which, new Ulver material is starting to come out. Album expected this year, and I'm already declaring it the best of the year.

Edit: I can't embed, but here's the link if someone wants to:

http://soundcloud.com/booking-26-1/february-mmx

Last edited by islandclaws; 02-12-11 at 05:56 PM.
Old 02-12-11, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Awesome tour rolling through this Spring.

Helmet, St. Vitus, Crowbar, Kylesa, Howl, Red Fang and The Atlas Moth

3/17 Dallas, TX @ Southside Music Hall
3/18 Austin, TX @ Dirty Dog / SXSW
3/19 New Orleans, LA @ One Eyed Jacks
3/20 St Petersburg, FL @ State Theater
3/21 Orlando, FL @ Firestone Live
3/22 Greensboro, NC @ Greene Street
3/23 Springfield, VA @ Jaxx
3/24 Worcester, MA @ Palladium
3/25 New York, NY @ Irving Plaza
3/26 Cleveland, OH @ Peabody's
3/27 Joliet, IL @ Mojoe's
3/29 Denver, CO @ The Summit
3/31 Portland, OR @ Roseland Theater
4/1 Seattle, WA @ El Corazon
4/3 San Francisco, CA @ Mezzanine
4/5 Hollywood, CA @ House Of Blues
Look forward to this one... Now if I could just find friends that will go with me.
Old 02-13-11, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
Look forward to this one... Now if I could just find friends that will go with me.
Bribe a friend, or just go by yourself.

I know it's more fun to go with a friend or even a friend that likes the band. But hell if I'd miss a great show because I couldn't find someone to go with.

Such a great lineup!
Old 02-14-11, 03:13 AM

Don't know where else to post this, but check out this guy Dan Dankmeyer.

It's all instrumental -- basically progressive/melodic death metal without the vocals. And it's good as hell.

You can download his entire discography for whatever price you like -- even zero, but he deserves more.
Old 02-14-11, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by terrible chong

It's all instrumental -- basically progressive/melodic death metal without the vocals. And it's good as hell.

You can download his entire discography for whatever price you like -- even zero, but he deserves more.
I'm a fan of Dan Dankmeyer, although I hadn't heard his newest so thanks!

If you haven't heard Cloudkicker then you really need to. It's one-man instrumental metal (Djent if you're familiar with that term) but the guy's got amazing talent and the ability to write a great instrumental song. He's insanely popular among fans of that style on the internet.

Up until his latest release he wouldn't even allow his music to be sold, and only caved after lots of fans wrote letters requesting the ability to actually buy CDs. Definitely check him out.
Old 02-14-11, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

Thanks! Sounds awesome!

Originally Posted by Mordred
I'm a fan of Dan Dankmeyer, although I hadn't heard his newest so thanks!

If you haven't heard Cloudkicker then you really need to. It's one-man instrumental metal (Djent if you're familiar with that term) but the guy's got amazing talent and the ability to write a great instrumental song. He's insanely popular among fans of that style on the internet.

Up until his latest release he wouldn't even allow his music to be sold, and only caved after lots of fans wrote letters requesting the ability to actually buy CDs. Definitely check him out.
I'm a big fan of Cloudkicker, ever since I stumbled upon one of his albums a while back.

He seems like a pretty cool guy, too. Laid back, making music just to make music, no real agenda.

http://www.theinevitablenose.com/201...w-cloudkicker/

Spoiler:
Interview – Cloudkicker
Posted in Interviews, Reviews, Unsigned on February 15th, 2010 by Alex

For the uninitiated, Cloudkicker is one Ben Sharp from Columbus, Ohio. By day, Ben is a salary earning career man, by night a musical mad scientist. Cloudkicker’s percussive, polyrhythmic progressive metal is put together entirely on Sharp’s computer, with all instruments (and drums programmed) by the man himself. Cloudkicker’s music cost Sharp diddly squat to record.

Sharp releases short bursts of Cloudkicker’s music, given away free, to little fanfare. Currently there is 1 album and 3 EP’s, the latest of which is called ]]][[[ is both a continuation of Cloudkicker's trademark 'melodic Meshuggah' cacophany and a progression into both heavier and more melodic territories. Tracks 1 and 2 (which in keeping with the theme of grammatical symbols are named # and %) work as a single sprawling post-rocker, while track3 $ can only be described as post-thrash - frenetic, complex and stunningly original. Mr. Sharp kindly agreed to give me an interview.

Most would describe you as post-rock/metal, but you really stand out from the usual long song, slow build monotony. How would you describe your music?

I would describe it as "listenable". Anything beyond that is up to other people's musical sensibilities.

Do you consider yourself to be a part of any ‘scene’?

I consider myself a part of the "contributing member of society" scene, which is pretty exclusive as far as bands go.

You released 2 EP’s in a 12 month period. Was it a conscious decision to do that rather than release a full album?

I prefer putting out shorter releases more frequently. I get bored listening to an hour of instrumental music, and this way I always have something relatively new out.

Each of your releases has a distinct personality. Is this by design, or perhaps a reflection of your mood at the time?

Definitely the latter. I'm really moody when it comes to writing music, and I don't want to get caught up in some sort of creative rut where I'm ALWAYS writing within the confines of a certain style. Honestly, I'm getting bored of writing what amounts to being melodic Meshuggah but I still enjoy writing in odd time signatures, so I think applying that to some different styles will be interesting.

The title and song names of your current EP ]]][[[ only contain grammatical symbols. What is the significance of this?

Just mixing it up a bit. Usually I get a theme in my head or I'll be interested in a certain subject when I name songs but I wanted the music to be the focal point on this one. Also laziness.

Who’s the guy on the cover of ]]][[[ and why did you put him there?

I did a Google image search one time for the word “Black” and his picture popped up. I saved it on my computer and haven’t been able to find it since. I have no idea who he is, he could have committed mass infanticide for all I know. He just seems like a pretty solid dude, so why not put him on an album cover. I did color his garb though.

Your music almost seems defined by its rhythm. When you’re writing, is rhythm created before riff?

Sometimes. I’ve written some drum parts in the shower, but 70% of the stuff I come up with while noodling around on the guitar.

Have you considered releasing your music on physical formats and charging for it?

Eh. Sounds like a lot of effort. Some people seem to get really bent out of shape about the fact that they can’t buy a physical copy of the CD, and I think they’re probably somewhat OCD about it. I think it would be funny to sell CDs but have the artwork make it look like a regular blank CD-R.

Have you/will you ever consider making Cloudkicker into a full band?

I used to play shows back when I first started writing music for Cloudkicker in 2005-2006 and lived in Los Angeles. Since then I’ve taken on a career and moved to Ohio; I haven’t yet felt the need to hunt down capable musicians, practice, and put shows together. Instead I put that time and effort into writing music.

Well that’s good enough for me. Sharp’s chosen method of distribution, and the fact that he gives his music away free of charge, affords him this flexibility – the fans have no ownership over Cloudkicker, Sharp doesn’t need us, and thus artistic expression is allowed to flow unaltered by the malign influence of money. While the music industry bleats about loss of their poorly earned riches and foretell of the death of culture, Sharp and his ilk are out there proving that we no longer need these corporate wastes of space.

<object width="450" height="370"><embed src="http://www.metalinjection.net/tv/flvplayer.swf" FlashVars="config=http://www.metalinjection.net/tv/flvembed.php?viewkey=0fce8701ce1aef8a2d40" width="450" height="370" bgcolor="#000000" scale="noscale" menu="false" loop="false" align="middle" allowscriptaccess="always" allowNetworking="all" allowfullscreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"></embed></object>
Old 02-15-11, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by Mordred

Great recommendation! Thanks a heap.
I love his Devin Townsend-style sense of epicness!

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mcky9VznRFQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-15-11, 12:09 AM

<object width="450" height="370"><embed src="http://www.metalinjection.net/tv/flvplayer.swf" FlashVars="config=http://www.metalinjection.net/tv/flvembed.php?viewkey=0fce8701ce1aef8a2d40" width="450" height="370" bgcolor="#000000" scale="noscale" menu="false" loop="false" align="middle" allowscriptaccess="always" allowNetworking="all" allowfullscreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"></embed></object>
You're right, seems a humble, unassuming, reasonable guy. What is metal coming to! lol

This bedroom epic shred movement is really fascinating to me.
Old 02-15-11, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You're right, seems a humble, unassuming, reasonable guy. What is metal coming to! lol

This bedroom epic shred movement is really fascinating to me.
It's pretty cool. Some guy who has no desire to even really attempt to make money off his music... he just records it and puts it out there because he wants to.

Drewsif Stalin's Musical Endeavors is another one you might want to look up. He's kind of all over the map in that his best stuff is amazing, but some of it is kinda blah too. If I remember correctly it's actually a 15 or 16 year old kid shredding in his basement after class.
Old 02-15-11, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm digging the new Onslaught album - "Sounds Of Violence". Now Sy Keeler's taken his voice down a notch he sounds much better IMO. And the riffs are vicious.
Old 02-20-11, 06:40 PM

Hey, what y'all think of this instrumentalist Keith Merrow?

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OGc297sF7gY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.