Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official METAL! Thread- Metalcore, Thrash, Progressive, Death, and MORE

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The Official METAL! Thread- Metalcore, Thrash, Progressive, Death, and MORE

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-09, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts
Re: The Official METAL! Thread- Metalcore, Thrash, Progressive, Death, and MORE

Twin Obscenity - For Blood Honor & Soil
Old 06-17-09, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I forgot how much this song (and the cover!) rules...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iVr5RtEqpc0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iVr5RtEqpc0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 06-18-09, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

^^^^^

Haha - I could never read the album title on the cassette spine. I think I like Lights...Camera...Revolution more these days.
Old 06-18-09, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

My sister's favorite part of the video was Mike Muir saying, "You think it's so funny...? Laugh at this!"

Great solo by Rocky George -- technical, intense, and lyrical.
Old 06-29-09, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After really liking the newish Wolves in the Throne Room album, I spent the weekend listening to vintage Norwegian black metal, most of which was new to me. If Varg Vikernes weren't a violent racist dickweed, I could feel better about myself for liking a lot of his pre-prison stuff. It helps that I can't understand his lyrics.

I'd say my favorite two albums I listened to were Burzum's "Hvis Lyset Tar Oss" (which also may have the coolest metal album cover ever) and Emperor's "Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk". Mayhem's relatively recent "Ordo ad Chao" isn't too shabby either. I threw in Amon Amarth's (non-BM) "Twilight of the Thundergod" as a palate clenser. I love those ridiculous songs about longboats and epic Norsk battles.

Sidenote, not sure if it's been mentioned, but a film about the early ninties Norwegian black metal scene is being made. It's based on "Lords of Chaos", which is a controversial book (to say the least). They signed some guy from "Twilight" to play Vikernes. Wha?
Old 06-29-09, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i read about that on the mayhem fest board
this is prob my fave band from europe now
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/B7sHLjI1sQE&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/B7sHLjI1sQE&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
yes its unbelevably cheesy but its awesome as well (and they're so much fun live, as i saw them with TYR and Sukuderia)
Old 07-03-09, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Hiro11
After really liking the newish Wolves in the Throne Room album, I spent the weekend listening to vintage Norwegian black metal, most of which was new to me. If Varg Vikernes weren't a violent racist dickweed, I could feel better about myself for liking a lot of his pre-prison stuff. It helps that I can't understand his lyrics.
Who cares? I listen to a lot of NSBM.. and I'm a Jew. If the music is good, I could care less if the musicians are racist.

I'd say my favorite two albums I listened to were Burzum's "Hvis Lyset Tar Oss" (which also may have the coolest metal album cover ever) and Emperor's "Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk". Mayhem's relatively recent "Ordo ad Chao" isn't too shabby either. I threw in Amon Amarth's (non-BM) "Twilight of the Thundergod" as a palate clenser. I love those ridiculous songs about longboats and epic Norsk battles.
I LOVE "Hvis Lyset Tar Oss" but IMO "Filosofem" is better. If you wanted to complete the Black Metal awesomeness you should have finished up with any one of Ulver's Black Metal Trilogy.

Sidenote, not sure if it's been mentioned, but a film about the early ninties Norwegian black metal scene is being made. It's based on "Lords of Chaos", which is a controversial book (to say the least). They signed some guy from "Twilight" to play Vikernes. Wha?
Yep. I made a thread about it here.
Old 08-03-09, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

some dude playing Dimmu Borgir's "Indoctrination" on drums.

so effortless, it's sickening....

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GhwyV1_0Eas&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GhwyV1_0Eas&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

live version of original drummer:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KEaZ2DAJh4k&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KEaZ2DAJh4k&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

original song on record:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZihGiCpgnq8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZihGiCpgnq8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited by dick_grayson; 08-03-09 at 11:19 AM.
Old 08-04-09, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

Have you guys heard Slaughter of the Bluegrass?

They do bluegrass covers of death metal songs. So far they've released 2:

Dark Tranquillity's Punish My Heaven

The original:

At the Gate's Blinded by Fear

The original:
Old 08-09-09, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

Awesome.
Old 08-10-09, 03:53 AM

Forgive me if this is sounds strange, but why does an entire genre, abound with dozens of subgenres, have a single solitary thread? Is it that much of an undesired and distasteful outlier that it can only relegated to it's own small and cramped corner? Because being the big metal fan I am, I was excited to see a metal thread, but then greatly disheartened to see the jumbled and aimless cluster that it is on the inside. Are there not enough bands and releases worthy of discussion, or are the metal fans just really that much of a minority?
Old 08-10-09, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by roughdraft_zero
... or are the metal fans just really that much of a minority?
that and this is a dvd forum.

I'd be down for a "official black/death/thrash/speed" thread and let the rest of the band that don't "fit" into another thread....but that's just me.
Old 08-10-09, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Personally, I feel like this Music Forum is so dead most of the time that I'd like to see more individual threads popping up.
Old 08-10-09, 01:18 PM

I would make threads but if you read through some other threads here like the "What Are You Listening To?" you quickly realize any thread I create will most likely be buried underneath 14 crappy indie-rock threads.
Old 08-10-09, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

eh it depends on the band imo. If i were to create say a thread on the new Winds of Plague (CD is great imo), it would either get 'who' or 'people listen to this shit' type of posts. But yeah, the new mastodon, new lamb of god, and i think the new slayer got their own threads.
Old 08-10-09, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
eh it depends on the band imo. If i were to create say a thread on the new Winds of Plague (CD is great imo), it would either get 'who' or 'people listen to this shit' type of posts. But yeah, the new mastodon, new lamb of god, and i think the new slayer got their own threads.
Seeing as how I don't listen to any of the bands you mention, it's exactly the reason I've refrained from starting any threads. Mine would have been about Artillery's new record (which is awesome), the new Destroyer 666 and so on. But I'm guessing being the only person posting in a thread you created.. sucks.
Old 08-10-09, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

The new Artillery CD is indeed awesome.
Old 08-10-09, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
that and this is a dvd forum.

I'd be down for a "official black/death/thrash/speed" thread and let the rest of the band that don't "fit" into another thread....but that's just me.
Totally agree. I love metal and I post on other forums about it. But yea most people on here would be like who? or what the hell is this shit? I rarely stop by the music portion of this forum because of this, but occasionally I'll drop a comment or two.
Old 08-10-09, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

but we could then get into all sorts of wonderfull arguments about if metalcore and or deathcore would belong in the regular thread.
Old 08-10-09, 08:37 PM

but we could then get into all sorts of wonderfull arguments about if metalcore and or deathcore would belong in the regular thread.
It wouldn't.

I've always wondered why not only is Metalcore the first genre named in the title but Power and Black were left out..
Old 08-10-09, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've always wondered if metalcore is just the bands that include breakdowns in their songs, or also does it include the whole screaming/growling/shouting vocals too
Old 08-10-09, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by roughdraft_zero
Forgive me if this is sounds strange, but why does an entire genre, abound with dozens of subgenres, have a single solitary thread? Is it that much of an undesired and distasteful outlier that it can only relegated to it's own small and cramped corner? Because being the big metal fan I am, I was excited to see a metal thread, but then greatly disheartened to see the jumbled and aimless cluster that it is on the inside. Are there not enough bands and releases worthy of discussion, or are the metal fans just really that much of a minority?
Check how many metal threads there are in this forum. Then, check how often this thread is posted in. That's probably why there is only one thread.

Actually, before this thread was opened, there were quite a few metal threads. Someone even made the comment that there seemed to be more fans of metal than any other genre on this forum. Then, this thread was opened, and new threads stopped.
Old 08-10-09, 09:04 PM

I've always wondered if metalcore is just the bands that include breakdowns in their songs, or also does it include the whole screaming/growling/shouting vocals too
Deathcore (which more often than not is all core and little to no death metal) is the label for all the bands who think that breakdowns are br0000tal1!!1 and usually use pig vocals with a mixture of clean singing. So they kind of go hand in hand.

See: Job For A Cowboy, Killswitch Engage, As I Lay Dying and to a slightly lesser extent, Shadow's Fall.
Old 08-10-09, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

uh, killswitch and shadows fall are in no way close to deathcore. The bands you listed are metalcore. Deathcore is more like old Job For a Cowboy (with their new stuff, they ditched the breakdowns and the pig squeels), suicide silence, winds of plauge.
This is deathcore (you may want to plug your ears, and or be ready to hit the mute/X button
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tpsNdqzIeDM&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tpsNdqzIeDM&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LD7olfFlGEI&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LD7olfFlGEI&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
and yes, i do listen to this shit, and can even understand the words

Last edited by Rypro 525; 08-10-09 at 09:20 PM.
Old 08-10-09, 09:22 PM

Deathcore is a sub-genre of Metalcore. Killswitch, Darkest Hour and SF are Metalcore while JFAC (both old AND new), The Red Chord, BMTH are deathcore. Both feature a nauseating amount of breakdowns.

Metalcore = Hardcore Punk and Metal fusion.
Deathcore = Metalcore with Death Metal fusion.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.