Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official METAL! Thread- Metalcore, Thrash, Progressive, Death, and MORE

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The Official METAL! Thread- Metalcore, Thrash, Progressive, Death, and MORE

Old 05-02-24, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 111 Likes on 69 Posts
Re: The Official METAL! Thread- Metalcore, Thrash, Progressive, Death, and MORE

Two pretty big tours just got announced that Iím pretty pumped for. Testament/Kreator/Possessed and Morbid Angel/Suffocation/UADA/Mortiferum/Fulci/Knoll. Really looking forward to seeing Kreator and that Morbid Angel tour is absolutely stacked.
Old 05-02-24, 04:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by beavis69
Two pretty big tours just got announced that Iím pretty pumped for. Testament/Kreator/Possessed and Morbid Angel/Suffocation/UADA/Mortiferum/Fulci/Knoll. Really looking forward to seeing Kreator and that Morbid Angel tour is absolutely stacked.
Looks like Fulci has a new album coming out this summer from 20 Buck Spin.
Old 05-02-24, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 111 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Trout
Looks like Fulci has a new album coming out this summer from 20 Buck Spin.
Yep, I've enjoyed their last two. They rolled through Seattle in support of Oxygen Destroyer a few months back but I missed them, happy to get another opportunity.
Old 05-02-24, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,405 Likes on 1,621 Posts

I've honestly never listened to Oxygen Destroyer (I'm more into black metal than death metal) but the kaiju theme and name really intrigues me, I'll have to check them out.
Old 05-03-24, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 197 Likes on 169 Posts

Got the new Feuerschwanz cd "Warriors" in the mail today. (It was released today May 3, 2024).

As far as I can figure out, it sounds like English versions of songs from their past few albums. Basically german / western european style folk "drinking songs", played in a power metal style with bagpipes and violins. Their humor is not quite as obvious in these english versions.

In contrast, their humor is more obvious in their previous videos, such as the song "Berzerkermode".

Going further in their back catalog, their older albums from the 2000s decade sounds like schlager drinking songs with parody/comedy titles about medieval stuff. I don't know enough german to figure out what exactly is humorous about the lyrics, other than doing translations via google translate.

Old 05-04-24, 12:01 AM
Premium Member

Received 739 Likes on 486 Posts

Been listening to Lord of the Lost (seeing them in a few months) and Gothminister a bit lately. Not sure how to describe them. Nothing growly, more like deep (not "low low deep") male voice, but some of the stuff is very catchy
Old 05-04-24, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Listening to the new Darkthrone album ("It Beckons Us All......."), it's in a similar vein to their last few, which I liked, so I'm liking this one as well. It's just Fenriz and Nocturno Culto continuing to do whatever the hell they want. Both guys have day jobs (government jobs with a pension), haven't played a live show in decades, and just continue to pump out albums every couple years, playing whatever kind of music they feel like, not caring about critic or fan reaction, they're just doing it for themselves. I envy that kind of creative freedom.
Old 05-04-24, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Iíve seen some reviews calling them Doomthrone. Not a bad album, but not one I would buy.
Old 05-04-24, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by cultshock
I wasn't familiar with Melissa Bonny but she's a cutie!
Two funny Feuerschwanz videos that Bonny was a guest singer on. One is a Manowar cover, and the other one is a cover of German reggae/hiphop band SEEED from 15+ years ago.

- Warriors of the World Unite (Manowar cover)

- Ding (SEEED cover)

- original version of Ding by SEEED
The following users liked this post:
Michael Corvin (05-09-24)
Old 05-04-24, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trout
I’ve seen some reviews calling them Doomthrone. Not a bad album, but not one I would buy.
Yeah, the last several albums have had a strong doom feel (blackened doom metal?). For me, the recent albums have been slow growers, first listen I think "Oh, not bad" but after a few more listens, they really start clicking for me and the riffs become earworms that I can't get out of my head, so catchy. So at first I think "Listening to the album on Spotify is good enough" but after a couple months I'm like "I need to buy this on vinyl!". They now use a studio with all analog equipment (they are really an old school band), so this stuff sounds great on vinyl.
Old 05-05-24, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,868 Likes on 1,966 Posts

"Ding" was my first exposure to Feuerschwanz many years ago; YT probably recommended it to me because of Melissa's involvement and I've been a fan ever since. You have to be impressed by a German folk metal group who can pull off a multilingual cover of a rap song.

I also really like their cover of Weeknd's "Blinding Lights."

Old 05-06-24, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by The Cow
Been listening to Lord of the Lost (seeing them in a few months) and Gothminister a bit lately. Not sure how to describe them. Nothing growly, more like deep (not "low low deep") male voice, but some of the stuff is very catchy
I like a fair amount of their stuff. It can get pretty cheesy at times.
The following users liked this post:
The Cow (05-06-24)
Old 05-13-24, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by morriscroy
Rumor has it that Sodom is releasing an ep in November, which appears to be remaining five tracks which were left off of "40 Years At War". These remaining five tracks were in the deluxe box set variant of "40 Years of War", where I only recognized the tracks Witching Metal and Equinox.

https://www.discogs.com/release/2499...-Hell-Of-Sodom
I picked up this "1982" Sodom ep as an impulse buy.

The re-recorded "Witching Metal" sounds very different than the version on In The Sign of Evil. It sounds like they're played in completely different keys.

- re-recorded version from 2022

- version on In The Sign of Evil from 1985

Two of the other re-recorded 2022 tracks "Victims of Death" and "Lets Fight In The Darkness of Hell" sound like very primitive songwriting, where it appears they were orginally on the "Victims of Death" demo from 1984. For that matter, this 2022 re-recorded version of "Witching Metal" sounds like the version on the 1984 Sodom demo tape :"Victims of Death".

https://www.discogs.com/release/3384...ctims-Of-Death

The 2022 re-recording of "Equinox" sounds more coherent, even with the really primitive songwriting on the Obsessed By Cruelty album.
Old 05-14-24, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Interesting, I might have to grab that EP. To be honest, although I heard all the early Sodom albums back in the 80s, I've never heard the Victims of Death demo.
Old 05-29-24, 07:38 PM

Recently picked up "Lex Amentiae" by Order.

The vocalist and drummer played on Mayhem's "Deathcrush" ep. The guitar player was originally in Cadaver, who were an early Earache Records death metal band from around 1989-1990.

It sounds like an unholy lovechild of Hellhammer with Sodom's "Obsessed by Cruelty" without the silly satanic stuff.
Old 05-29-24, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Interesting, so Maniac (or Messiah?) and Manheim are involved? Hellhammer combined with OBC era Sodom, I'll have to check this out!
Old 05-29-24, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by cultshock
Interesting, so Maniac (or Messiah?) and Manheim are involved? Hellhammer combined with OBC era Sodom, I'll have to check this out!
On the Order lex cd, the vocalist's name is Eirik Nordheim / Messiah.

https://www.metal-archives.com/artists/Messiah/56
Old 06-09-24, 12:48 AM

Picked up Atrophy "Asylum" and Vendetta "Black As Coal".

After 34 years of not releasing anything since "Violent by Nature", Atrophy's "Asylum" was actually listenable several times.

I use to listen to Vendetta's first two albums from the mid-late 1980, which was typical Harris Johns produced thrash metal stuff released by Noise Records. I don't remember these two albums being particularly memorable at the time. It appears they broke up sometime around 1990.

They reformed sometime in the mid 2000s, but I haven't listened to their past three albums (Hate, Feed The Extermination, The 5th). "Black As Coal" was listenable several times, which oddly enough I found refreshing. (Since this cd was an impulse buy for me, initially I wasn't expecting much).

Last edited by morriscroy; 06-09-24 at 01:19 AM.
Old 06-09-24, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I have "Socialized Hate" on LP and "Violent by Nature" on CD.

I don't think "Violent by Nature" got a vinyl release (at least in the US) because it came out in 1990, when the labels were abandoning the format and I had to get it on CD.
Old 06-12-24, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I have "Socialized Hate" on LP and "Violent by Nature" on CD.

I don't think "Violent by Nature" got a vinyl release (at least in the US) because it came out in 1990, when the labels were abandoning the format and I had to get it on CD.
I never seen the "Violent by Nature" vinyl back in the day.

According to discogs there a european vinyl pressing from 1990, but no 1990 american vinyl pressing.
Old 06-12-24, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think that 1989 was pretty much the last hurrah for vinyl. In my collection I don't think I have any vinyl records pressed from 1990 until 2010 or so. I had gone to all-CD in 1990.

I also think record stores stopped selling vinyl around 1988 or so, and the Columbia Record club stopped offering it around 1989, too.
Old 06-12-24, 03:58 PM

I think that 1989 was pretty much the last hurrah for vinyl. In my collection I don't think I have any vinyl records pressed from 1990 until 2010 or so.

I also think record stores stopped selling vinyl around 1988 or so, and the Columbia Record club stopped offering it around 1989, too.
In hindsight, 1989 seems to have been the transition year from vinyl to cd for mass market releases.

Annecdotally, I recall the final widely available then-new metal release on vinyl I purchased at the time, was Kreator "Extreme Aggression". I wanted to get Testament "Practice What You Preach" on vinyl back when it was first released, but I never saw the vinyl version in records stores circa mid-late 1989. In contrast, the cd variant of "Practice What You Preach" was more easily available.

Over the 1990s, the few vinyl copies of "Practice What You Preach" I saw in used records stores, were almost always copies manufactured in Germany. Eventually I found a German used copy in mint condition, which turned out to sound better than the generic american cd version of "Practice What You Preach".

During 1990, I never saw a vinyl copy of Kreator "Coma of Souls". The cd version was easily available.
Old 06-12-24, 04:19 PM

I had gone to all-CD in 1990.
I was very reluctant to go "all CD" initially. IIRC the prices of then-new releases on cd, were easily two times the price of the vinyl version.

Besides finding some Scott Burns produced death metal titles sounding really lackluster (such as Obituary "Slowly We Rot", Cannibal Corpse, Deicide, etc ...), the prices of the cd releases of these titles made them even less appealing that I more or less stopped buying newly released metal albums. So I completely missed a lot of stuff released on Roadrunner, Nuclear Blast, Century Media, Music For Nations, etc ... over most of the 1990s. As mentioned earlier in this thread, I only eventually came across most of this early->mid 1990s era metal cd stuff, sometime around 1999 / y2k via "scavenging" through $2 bins at used record stores.