Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official METAL! Thread- Metalcore, Thrash, Progressive, Death, and MORE

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The Official METAL! Thread- Metalcore, Thrash, Progressive, Death, and MORE

Old 04-20-24, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,831 Likes on 1,944 Posts
Re: The Official METAL! Thread- Metalcore, Thrash, Progressive, Death, and MORE

I have Napalm Death's "Scum," "From Enslavement to Obliteration," and "Harmony Corruption," and I saw them live twice ages ago.

They're okay, but not really my thing. I thought "Harmony Corruption" was their best album of the three. Didn't help that, by the mid-90s, I was kind of bored with metal where it seemed like everything was either extreme grindcore shit that all sounds kine of same-y or nu-metal mallcore stuff. And even Maiden and Priest were flailing with replacement singers.
Old 04-21-24, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 197 Likes on 169 Posts

I eventually found several of the early-mid 1990s era Napalm Death cds in the $2 dump bins or used record stores, such as: Suffer The Children, Utopia Banished, Death By Manipulation, etc ...

Harmony Corruption sounded like typical generic "Scott Burns" produced death metal of that era. I thought the Colin Richardson produced/engineered titles sounded much better, and was much more listenable than the noisy earlier stuff.

During the late 1990s, I also found various "Bolt Thrower" cds (with the Warhammer style artwork) in the same dump bins. These all had a Colin Richardson production, which had a similar sound to Napalm Death.
Old 04-21-24, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,349 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

They're okay, but not really my thing. I thought "Harmony Corruption" was their best album of the three. Didn't help that, by the mid-90s, I was kind of bored with metal where it seemed like everything was either extreme grindcore shit that all sounds kine of same-y or nu-metal mallcore stuff. And even Maiden and Priest were flailing with replacement singers.
Yeah, back in the mid-90s, metal like grindcore, nu-metal/mallcore, and the offerings of old favorites of mine like Metallica and Maiden weren't doing anything for me, but then I discovered symphonic black metal like Cradle of Filth, Emperor and Dimmu Borgir, I thought "This is more like it!" and that became my metal of choice at the time (and I still like those bands today).
Old 04-21-24, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by cultshock
Yeah, back in the mid-90s, metal like grindcore, nu-metal/mallcore, and the offerings of old favorites of mine like Metallica and Maiden weren't doing anything for me, but then I discovered symphonic black metal like Cradle of Filth, Emperor and Dimmu Borgir, I thought "This is more like it!" and that became my metal of choice at the time (and I still like those bands today).
I didn't really pay much attention to then-current metal bands during the 1990s and into the 2000s. Whatever metal stuff I was coming across, it was largely in the form of $2 titles found at thrift shops, dump bins at record stores, liquidation outlets, garage sales, flea markets, church rummages, etc ... Basically older discarded cds which were at least several years old.

Though with that being said, the only then-new metal titles I purchased at normal price at the time, was stuff like Fear Factory and Godflesh.
Old 04-21-24, 08:31 PM

In the case of black metal, I never really got into it much.

The only black metal sounding title I ever listened to a lot, was "Towards the Skullthrone of Satan" by Enthroned which was released on Metal Blade / Death Records in america. (IIRC, Death Records was the Metal Blade sub-imprint that released stuff like DRI, Cannibal Corpse, Corrosion of Conformity, The Mentors, etc ....). It was an impulse buy when I noticed Cronos (from Venom) did some vocals on it. I found it at a used record store, where I was able to read the cd booklet insert.

I later picked up some of the classic stuff like Emperor, Mayhem, Darkthrone, etc ... which I never really got into as heavily.
Old 04-22-24, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Lacuna Coil have released a new single:

The following users liked this post:
Michael Corvin (04-28-24)
Old 04-22-24, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I still prefer the old Lacuna Coil from their first few albums when they more goth-metal than the nu-metal sounding-stuff they've been doing since "Karmacode."

And it also annoys when they put the Ferro front and center and seemingly relegate Cristina to a background singer.
Michael Corvin (04-28-24)
Old 04-22-24, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm more of a death metal and black metal guy, but I've always liked Lacuna Coil. I used to not love Andrea's vocals, they weren't terrible, just kinda bland to me. I think the growls he's doing now sound much better.

I'm seeing them in a couple weeks then heading an hour away the next day for In Flames/Creeping Death/Gatecreeper.
Old 04-26-24, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by morriscroy
Did a recent deep dive into the back catalog of Visions of Atlantis. This is one wildly inconsistent band, where the primary songwriter changes frequently. The only consistent member is the drummer Thomas Caser, whose day job is working at Napalm Records where he is currently the CEO.

On the first two albums "Eternal Endless Infinity" (2002) and "Cast Away" (2004), it sounds like a "me too Nightwish". Not entirely clear who was the primary songwriter. On the second album, it appears the songwriting was mostly done by the keyboardist, guitarist, and the producer.
I was listening again more closely to Visions of Atlantis' first album "Eternal Endless Infinity". If one drops the obvious "meToo Nightwish"-y sounding songs, the remaining songs have a very different character. I recently got this cd in the mail, and have been listening to it without the nightwish-y style songs like "Lovebearing Storm" and "Mermaid's Wintertale".

The non-Nightwish-y sounding songs remaining, sounds like The Cure writing heavier guitar emphasized power metal songs with a soprano second singer. The male singer on "Eternal Endless Infinity" Christian Stani, sings in a style and tone of voice very similar to The Cure's Robert Smith.

If I had to guess, the primary songwriter Chris Kamper and maybe the singer, sounds like they were huge fans of stuff like The Cure, The Smiths, Depeche Mode, Simple Minds, etc ... After this first album, both the vocalist Christian Stani and keyboardist Chris Kamper left the band. The subsequent Visions of Atlantis albums don't sound like their first album.

The production sounds like a very raw version of a thin "Scott Burns" style production, without much layering. It is not what I would think of as a symphonic power metal production.

Originally Posted by morriscroy
Listening to Ad Infinitum chapters 1 and 2.

Sounds like generic symphonic metal.
I also picked up Ad Infinitum's third album "chapter 3: Downfall" released a year ago. I've been listening to it on repeat this past week. The paint-by-numbers symphonic metal style is largely gone.

This third album Downfall sounds somewhat different than the first two albums. For lack of a better description, it could be described as Rihanna singing + writing european style power metal songs with some r&b elements, but without any rapping. I thought Melissa Bonny's normal singing voice sounded similar to Rihanna.
Old 04-26-24, 04:23 PM

Got in the mail earlier today a Metamorphosis cd by "The Dark Side of The Moon" side-project of Melissa Bonny which features a harp player and guitarist from a german volk metal band Feuerschwanz, and Bonny's husband Morten Sorensen who is also the drummer of Amaranthe.

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid...70057501981821

This cd appears to be mostly covers of songs from some fantasy / scifi movies and videogames from the past 25 years, such as: Lords of the Rings, Hobbit, Harry Potter, The Hunger Games, etc .... Since I haven't really followed videogames and fantasy movies that closely, I didn't recognize any of the songs. I had to find the original versions on youtube, to notice that most of these songs were in a different style that was not metal.

So listening to this "Metamorphosis" album fresh without knowing much about fantasy/scifi/videogame music over the past 25+ years, this cd sounds like well written songs adapted to power metal sensibilities with folkish elements.

The cover of "May It Be" from The Fellowship of the Ring soundtrack, even has Charlotte Wessels as a singer. The original version of "May It Be" by Enya is a ballad very far away from rock. Somehow Bonny and Wessels adapted it well to be a metal song, and not a long ballad.

- Bonny/Wessels cover of "May It Be"

- original by Enya from "The Fellowship of the Ring" soundtrack
Old 04-26-24, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wasn't familiar with Melissa Bonny but she's a cutie!
Old 04-26-24, 06:28 PM
Premium Member

Received 733 Likes on 482 Posts

That album was high on my playlist for a while, I really like it. I saw her with Ad Infinitum last year, and seeing them again in a few weeks on the Kamelot/HammerFall tour. Melissa Bonny seems to be involved in a lot of projects.

One thing I really like about the European scene is that there is a lot of collaboration among various bands/artists.
Old 04-26-24, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Phibes
I'm more of a death metal and black metal guy, but I've always liked Lacuna Coil. I used to not love Andrea's vocals, they weren't terrible, just kinda bland to me. I think the growls he's doing now sound much better.

I'm seeing them in a couple weeks then heading an hour away the next day for In Flames/Creeping Death/Gatecreeper.
I'm assuming you're talking about the Charlotte show @ The Underground? I have been debating on whether to get tickets for my daughter and myself to see Lacuna Coil there again. She was lucky enough to get a guitar pick the previous time we saw them a year and a half ago there.
Old 04-26-24, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Iím really digging the band Labyrinthus Stellarum. Imagine Darkspace if they played a more melodic deep space black metal.
Old 04-26-24, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sounds interesting, I'll check them out.
Old 04-26-24, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I wasn't familiar with Melissa Bonny but she's a cutie!
I've been a fan since she was in Rage of Light and I saw their cover of Amon Amarth's "Twilight of the Thunder God."

She guested as the female vocalist on Kamelot's latest album, but was only one song (which seems like a waste). Would liked to have seem them on this tour so I could hear her duet with Tommy on some older songs like "The Haunting" "Liar Liar" and "Sacrimony."
Old 04-27-24, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sounds great!
Old 04-27-24, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,150 Likes on 704 Posts

I am not a huge "metal" music person, but I felt those on this board who are into both music and movies would enjoy this video. You are welcome.

cultshock (04-27-24)
Old 04-27-24, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My son is currently playing his electronic drum set with a Rock Band/Guitar Hero game he and his friends are developing. He's playing to some Cattle Decapitation songs and is just hammering his double bass drum petals. He loves playing that type of technical death metal stuff the best, because of all the intensity and rhythm changes he never finds it boring (but Cattle Decap songs have enough more mellow sections to give him a break). He also loves playing along to black metal bands like Emperor, again because of all the intensely fast double bass. I honestly think he would be great drumming in a real death metal band but he's not interested, he just wants to do his own thing. But damn, he's scary good, and his Fitbit is showing that he gets thousands of steps in if he plays long enough.
Spiderbite (04-28-24)
Old 04-27-24, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I am not a huge "metal" music person, but I felt those on this board who are into both music and movies would enjoy this video. You are welcome.
Wild Zero and Deathgasm are great metal/rock and roll films.
Old 04-28-24, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,150 Likes on 704 Posts

My son is currently playing his electronic drum set with a Rock Band/Guitar Hero game he and his friends are developing. He's playing to some Cattle Decapitation songs and is just hammering his double bass drum petals. He loves playing that type of technical death metal stuff the best, because of all the intensity and rhythm changes he never finds it boring (but Cattle Decap songs have enough more mellow sections to give him a break). He also loves playing along to black metal bands like Emperor, again because of all the intensely fast double bass. I honestly think he would be great drumming in a real death metal band but he's not interested, he just wants to do his own thing. But damn, he's scary good, and his Fitbit is showing that he gets thousands of steps in if he plays long enough.
Shit, if he is playing stuff like that, from what I have seen, his Fitbit is likely undercounting.

While not my thing to listen to, people who can play drums like that is still crazy impressive.
cultshock (04-28-24)
Old 04-28-24, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

To be fair he taps out at around 30 minutes of that kind of intensity. It is impressive watching him play crazy songs like that and I swear the kid is a human metronome, perfect timing.

Old 04-28-24, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by darkdaze73
I'm assuming you're talking about the Charlotte show @ The Underground? I have been debating on whether to get tickets for my daughter and myself to see Lacuna Coil there again. She was lucky enough to get a guitar pick the previous time we saw them a year and a half ago there.
Yeah, that's the one. I live 10 minutes from Raleigh, so Charlotte is a drive. But I've been a fan since I heard their song Shallow End on a bonus compilation CD included with the 1997 Rotting Christ album A Dead Poem, and I've never seen them, so I'll make a trip for them.

I'm also heading to The Fillmore directly next to the Underground in September for Unleash the Archers with Powerwolf.
Old 04-28-24, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Phibes
Yeah, that's the one. I live 10 minutes from Raleigh, so Charlotte is a drive. But I've been a fan since I heard their song Shallow End on a bonus compilation CD included with the 1997 Rotting Christ album A Dead Poem, and I've never seen them, so I'll make a trip for them.

I'm also heading to The Fillmore directly next to the Underground in September for Unleash the Archers with Powerwolf.
I live about 40 minutes from Greensboro. So it's about a 2 hour drive to Charlotte for myself. I still haven't decided if we're going to that show or not. There's at least 4 shows hitting NC in 8 days that I would love to go to(Lacuna Coil, Avatar, Judas Priest & Nothing More/Wage War). I just don't think I can do all of them though.
Old 04-30-24, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by darkdaze73
I live about 40 minutes from Greensboro. So it's about a 2 hour drive to Charlotte for myself. I still haven't decided if we're going to that show or not. There's at least 4 shows hitting NC in 8 days that I would love to go to(Lacuna Coil, Avatar, Judas Priest & Nothing More/Wage War). I just don't think I can do all of them though.
I wasn't sure if I was going at first because I'm not really super familiar with the other two bands (Oceans of Slumber and New Years Day), but In Flames is playing with Gatecreeper and Creeping Death in Greensboro the next day, so I can stop there on the way home. I've heard a couple of Oceans of Slumber songs but couldn't get too into them. I've actually seen New Years Day open for The Birthday Massacre years ago but I don't recall any songs they played at all. Their newish single I Still Believe is decent Cold Kingdom style hard rock song. I like that one at least. Still, should be worth the money just to see Lacuna Coil.

There's a place that just opened (or reopened under a new name) called Chapel of Bones in Raleigh, so hopefully that place does alright so some bigger bands show up there because it's only about 20 minutes away. They do have Incantation and Exhumed playing in May, so that's a good start.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.