Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official METAL! Thread- Metalcore, Thrash, Progressive, Death, and MORE

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The Official METAL! Thread- Metalcore, Thrash, Progressive, Death, and MORE

Old 11-26-23, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 197 Likes on 169 Posts
Re: The Official METAL! Thread- Metalcore, Thrash, Progressive, Death, and MORE

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Wow. I consider DT my #1 favorite band. I think I made it through the Astonishing once (on release day) and it was a struggle. I'll give it a shot about once a year and each time only make it a few tracks in before jumping ship. It just did not land for me.
I was never a big fan of Dream Theater. I actually didn't start listening to them that closely, until Train of Thought which I picked up shortly after it was first released in 2003.

Back during the 1990s and early 2000s, I picked up some of their catalog titles which were littering $2 dump bins at used record/cd stores, thrift shops, garage sales, flea markets, etc ...

With that being said, they're the perfect "background muzak" to play when I'm at home where it is not distracting for me, since I have no familiarity nor much of any emotional context for their music. In contrast, something like Yngwie Malmsteen is very distracting for me as background muzak at home, since I have a lot of familiarity and emotional context to his music.
Old 11-26-23, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,947 Posts

The thing about Dream Theater that stands out for me is the way "Pull Me Under" became a huge crossover hit.

They're an obscure prog metal band, and, all of a sudden this one song is all over MTV and the radio.
Old 11-27-23, 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
The thing about Dream Theater that stands out for me is the way "Pull Me Under" became a huge crossover hit.

They're an obscure prog metal band, and, all of a sudden this one song is all over MTV and the radio.
For whatever reasons, I never saw the "Pull Me Under" video during the 1990s. I don't remember hearing it on the radio either, albeit during the times when highly technical rock/metal was in hibernation during the grunge era.

I only first heard their music, from blind buying $2 dump bin fodder. It was stuff like an original Mechanic cd copy of "When Dream and Day Unite", which I didn't find memorable at the time.
Old 11-27-23, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 589 Likes on 363 Posts

I never even listened to the second disc of The Astonishing. After I scraped the cheese out of my speaker cabinets from listening the first disc I sold the CD.
Old 11-27-23, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 932 Likes on 657 Posts

This is my collection i keep on my phone. That could be 72 albums, but guess which one I dont keep on there?
Old 11-27-23, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 932 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

Hair metal was played out, Metallica's Black album was had been out a couple years and grunge was just starting to take over. It was probably just a magical time where people were looking for something heavy but not hair metal and just narrowly avoiding the grunge takeover?

Or maybe none of these things were a factor and it was all just a fluke.
Old 01-12-24, 09:28 PM

The guitarist from Magnum recently passed away.

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cy0ddex4z2ro

Back in the day, I use to listen to Magnum's "On A Storyteller's Night" a lot. Their 80s era stuff sounded like a heavier version of .38 Special with a slick overproduced sound.

They had fantasy/scifi artist Rodney Matthews illustrating their album covers during the 1980s. (Matthews did the cover of Nazareth "No Mean City").
Old 01-16-24, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Saw Magnum dozens of times in the 80's in England. They were always either supporting someone I wanted to see or had someone I wanted to see supporting them. I was never a huge fan, but they always put on a good live show.
Old 01-19-24, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 589 Likes on 363 Posts

https://cloudstastesatanic.bandcamp.com/album/79-a-e

Really digging it.
Old 01-20-24, 03:53 PM

Heh.

I don't know how I manage to miss these live/re-recordings of the first two Obituary albums from more than a year ago. The titles assert these are live concerts on a separate bluray disc in 2-disc sets, but the audio cd versions have no crowd noises between songs. If I had to guess what this might be, it could be a "live in the studio" live stream during the covid shutdown era.

2022 Slowly We Rot - Live And Rotting

2022 Cause of Death - Live Infection

Nevertheless, effectively they sound like 2022 re-recordings of the "Slowly We Rot" and "Cause of Death" albums. There's even two Celtic Frost covers "Dethroned Emperor" and "Circle of Tyrants".

Digging out my old vinyl copy of Slowly We Rot, it sounds like the original 1989 version had the guitars tuned to the standard E along with an early Scott Burns crappy thin misty production. Back in the day, I thought this was the crappiest worst Scott Burns production where the "thin mistyness" was very prominent and upfront. (Scott Burns seemed to gradually become a better studio engineer over the 1990s decade).

In contrast on these 2022 live/re-recordings, it sounds like the guitars were tuned down one step to D. (IIRC, Celtic Frost also tuned their guitars down to D on "Morbid Tales" and "To Mega Therion").

The producer Joe Cincotta appears to have previously produced/engineered Internal Bleeding and Suffocation albums over the past 20 years. (Suffocation was another Roadrunner signed death metal band produced by Scott Burns back in the early -> mid 1990s. Internal Bleeding's first album "Voracious Contempt" from 1995 was also engineered by Scott Burns).
Old 01-20-24, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,596 Posts

That just reminds me how awesome of a band Celtic Frost was (I even really like Cold Lake).
Old 01-22-24, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by morriscroy
Heh.

I don't know how I manage to miss these live/re-recordings of the first two Obituary albums from more than a year ago. The titles assert these are live concerts on a separate bluray disc in 2-disc sets, but the audio cd versions have no crowd noises between songs. If I had to guess what this might be, it could be a "live in the studio" live stream during the covid shutdown era.

Nevertheless, effectively they sound like 2022 re-recordings of the "Slowly We Rot" and "Cause of Death" albums. There's even two Celtic Frost covers "Dethroned Emperor" and "Circle of Tyrants".

Digging out my old vinyl copy of Slowly We Rot, it sounds like the original 1989 version had the guitars tuned to the standard E along with an early Scott Burns crappy thin misty production. Back in the day, I thought this was the crappiest worst Scott Burns production where the "thin mistyness" was very prominent and upfront. (Scott Burns seemed to gradually become a better studio engineer over the 1990s decade).

In contrast on these 2022 live/re-recordings, it sounds like the guitars were tuned down one step to D. (IIRC, Celtic Frost also tuned their guitars down to D on "Morbid Tales" and "To Mega Therion").
Correct on both counts. These were re-recorded live in the studio. And the original "Slowly We Rot" is (amazingly) recorded in standard tuning. And people still say you can't play heavy music on a Strat (albeit one with a humbucker in the bridge).
But I still love the original Scott Burns production. It's just part of the charm of the album for me.
Old 01-22-24, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cultshock
That just reminds me how awesome of a band Celtic Frost was (I even really like Cold Lake).
Even Tom Warrior hates Cold Lake.
Old 01-22-24, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Phodg
Even Tom Warrior hates Cold Lake.
He still refers to it as the "abomination". I wish he'd lighten up a bit and allow it to be reissued (which it never has since it came out in 1988), especially as a part of the nice special edition vinyl releases that the other CF albums received.
Old 01-22-24, 04:25 PM

And the original "Slowly We Rot" is (amazingly) recorded in standard tuning. And people still say you can't play heavy music on a Strat (albeit one with a humbucker in the bridge).
In practice I've found that the actual equipment a guitarist uses, doesn't matter beyond a basic setup of a guitar + distorted amp. Back in the late-1980s and 1990s, I tried out many combinations of guitar + amp setups to hear that the most important aspect of a guitarist, is how well they can play the actual instrument.

In those days, I figured out some basic riffs from heavier stuff like Slayer, Venom, Bathory (the return), Sepultura (morbid visions), etc ... and "less heavier" stuff like Megadeth (mostly the peace sells album), Testament, Overkill, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Ozzy, Priest, etc ... In the end, it didn't matter what model/shape of guitar I was playing whether a strat, lespaul, warlock, flying V, etc ... through a practice amp, Marshall full stack, etc ... with just a basic built-in amp distortion channel.
Old 01-23-24, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah. Bill Steer uses old Gibson Les Paul Juniors all the time. He doesn't even change the P90 pickups on them.
Old 01-28-24, 12:41 AM

But I still love the original Scott Burns production. It's just part of the charm of the album for me.
Scott Burns didn't always do a "thin mistyness" type of sound production. This seems to be the case when the band recorded the original tracks at a different studio that wasn't Burns' home base of morrisound. For example, the basic tracks of Sepultura's "Beneath The Remains" were done at a studio in Rio De Janerio, Brazil, while the final mix was done at morrisound.

Another early case of this, was a little known Mexico death metal band Anarchus who recorded their "Final Fall Of The Gods" ep at a studio in Mexico City, and later mixed by Scott Burns at Morrisound in late 1989. It sounds batshit crazy without any of the thin sounding production.

Old 01-28-24, 01:49 AM

Through an unrelated search on youtube, came across the Blasphemy "Gods of War" album from 1993. Something sounded familiar, where I went through storage and found the 1993 cd released by Osmose with a different cover. I think I found this in a $2 bin sometime around y2k, and thought it sounded like a really crappy death metal or black metal band from northern Europe.

Doing some more googling on this band, it turns out they're not from Europe. They're actually from Vancouver, British Columbia in Canada. (ie. Nowhere near Northern Europe nor Florida in the early-mid 1990s). Never could have imagined black metal coming out of Canada before "In The Nightside Eclipse" and "De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas".

https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Blasphemy/1141

Old 01-28-24, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, Blasphemy is a pretty infamous early Canadian black metal band. Like some of the early Norwegian second wave black metal bands, some of the members of Blasphemy have done prison time for things like criminal assault and drug smuggling. They play a very primitive type of black metal often referred to as "War Metal", I love black metal but their stuff isn't really my cup of tea, too raw and primitive sounding. Nuclear War Now recently put out really nice deluxe reissues of their early albums, if you are a fan of the band, but I had to pass on those.
Old 02-04-24, 03:31 PM

Picked up the 40th anniversary 4-cd release of Black Sabbath's Live Evil album. The first two discs sound like a remastering of the original album, while the other two discs are a remix of the album. The remix is worth the price of admission alone, where the drums and bass are mixed a lot clearer and less muddy.

The original mix of Live Evil sounded like it was done heavily in "mono", where the guitar had an unnatural "low end mid bass bottom end" eq'd in the studio. Not much breathing space, especially if one was listening on headphones. If one listens to the "L-R difference" signal which will reflect the audio content at the extreme edges of the left and right channels, iirc it was mostly just audience noises and not much of the actual music. (The L-R signal can nowadays be easily generated using an audio mixing program like Audacity).

I have the original Live Evil cd released back in the day, which came in a fat two-disc case. It didn't sound much better than my old vinyl copy at the time, other than the absence of record noises. So over the past three decades, I never bothered buying any of the remastered re-released cd versions. In this 40th anniversary 4-cd variant I recently purchased, the original mix on the frist two cds doesn't sound much better than my old cd and vinyl copies from back in the day.

Old 02-07-24, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 111 Likes on 69 Posts

I'm pretty good about hearing and knowing what various metal subgenre bands fit into, but I can't for the life of me figure out what makes war metal war metal. You think singing about war would be a prerequisite but that's not really the case.

Lamb of God and Mastodon are going on tour playing Ashes of the Wake and Leviathan in full. Both the albums were instrumental in transitioning me from the Nu-Metal bands I came into metal through into various other genres of metal. My first time seeing LoG was in 05 when they were touring for this album. Looking forward to seeing both bands. They are joined by Kerry Kings new band. Listened to the first single and it's horribly generic. Almost sounds like something you find off Slayers Diabolus in Musica.
Old 02-07-24, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by beavis69
I'm pretty good about hearing and knowing what various metal subgenre bands fit into, but I can't for the life of me figure out what makes war metal war metal. You think singing about war would be a prerequisite but that's not really the case.
Yeah, I don't know why it is called "war" metal as it has nothing to do with lyrical themes, etc. War metal is also known as bestial black metal, it's kinda a subgenre of blackened death metal, really raw, aggressive and primitive (opposite of say, atmospheric black metal). Early Sodom (circa In the Sign of Evil and Obsessed by Cruelty) was a big influence.
Old 02-07-24, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock
Yeah, I don't know why it is called "war" metal as it has nothing to do with lyrical themes, etc. War metal is also known as bestial black metal, it's kinda a subgenre of blackened death metal, really raw, aggressive and primitive (opposite of say, atmospheric black metal). Early Sodom (circa In the Sign of Evil and Obsessed by Cruelty) was a big influence.
Think Panzer Division Marduk from Marduk. Unrelenting blast beats and double bass, harsh vocals, and a raw guitar tone.
The following users liked this post:
cultshock (02-08-24)
Old 02-07-24, 11:47 PM

Picked up Exit Eden's recent album "Femmes Fatales".

Back in 2017, it appears Exit Eden were a "supergroup" put together by Napalm Records where they recorded an album (Rhapsodies in Black) of pop/rock covers like Madonna, Lady Gaga, etc .... done in symphonic power metal style. Here's their cover of Bonnie Tyler's "Total Eclipse of the Heart".

This time around on "Femmes Fatales", there's some original tunes and not just covers. The original tunes sound like ABBA style writing played in a bombastic symphonic power metal style.

Old 02-08-24, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by beavis69
From various "war metal" bands which show up via googling and listening to such bands on youtube, I can only describe it as something resembling Voivod's "RRRROOOOOAAAARRRR" and Sodom's "Obsessed by Cruelty" played a lot faster with an even crappier sound production.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.