Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official METAL! Thread- Metalcore, Thrash, Progressive, Death, and MORE

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The Official METAL! Thread- Metalcore, Thrash, Progressive, Death, and MORE

Old 07-17-23, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 199 Likes on 171 Posts
Re: The Official METAL! Thread- Metalcore, Thrash, Progressive, Death, and MORE

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Yeah, I really hate this re-recording our old albums shit.

It just ain't the same.

Even with something like Twisted Sister's "Still Hungry," where the original sounds terrible on CD, the new recordings just don't have the same vibe. They sound more like covers or demos.
My original Stay Hungry vinyl copy sounded just as crappy as the cd version. It sounded like Atlantic Records just used the exact same master tape, for all cd/vinyl/cassette releases back in the 1980s. (ie. Very little to no remastering done for the original cd version).

In the case of Still Hungry, I actually picked it up back in the day and only ever listened to it a few times. It was very strange and not even a good "simulacra".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simulacra_and_Simulation
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simulacra

I have no idea why it even exists, other than maybe for copyright + licensing type issues.
Old 07-24-23, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Yeah, I really hate this re-recording our old albums shit.

It just ain't the same.

Even with something like Twisted Sister's "Still Hungry," where the original sounds terrible on CD, the new recordings just don't have the same vibe. They sound more like covers or demos.
In a more general sense, I have to wonder how many of these "re-recordings" of classic albums are due to the fact that the original musicians do not own the masters tapes of their albums and/or the original master tapes were destroyed / lost / decomposed / etc ....

For example, such as Taylor Swift re-recording all her previous albums where she purportedly does not own the rights to the original master tapes.

IIRC, the LA Guns "Cocked and Loaded" album was re-recorded in y2k as "Cocked & Reloaded", for the reason that they allegedly did not have access to the original master tapes at the time.
Old 07-24-23, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,475 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by morriscroy
IIRC, the LA Guns "Cocked and Loaded" album was re-recorded in y2k as "Cocked & Reloaded", for the reason that they allegedly did not have access to the original master tapes at the time.
Interesting, I didn't know that. How does it sound (if you've heard it)? Cocked and Loaded is my favorite LA Guns album.
Old 07-24-23, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,954 Likes on 2,019 Posts

I think that basically all albums that get re-recorded come down to some kind of "business" decision.

Whether it's to screw musicians out of royalties ("Blizzard of Ozz" and "Diary of a Madman"), or an issue with access to or control over master tapes ("Stay Hungry" and Taylor Swift).
The following users liked this post:
morriscroy (07-24-23)
Old 07-24-23, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by cultshock
Interesting, I didn't know that. How does it sound (if you've heard it)? Cocked and Loaded is my favorite LA Guns album.
"Cocked & Re-loaded" is very raw sounding. No more overprocessing studio "velveeta" which infected their older major label releases.

With that being said, their only album I ever listened to over and over again was Hollywood Vampires. Though by then, sunset strip hairspray metal was already in decline and being eclipsed by seattle grunge.
Old 07-24-23, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 230 Likes on 186 Posts

Wouldn't a new recording be considered a cover song, requiring payments to the whomever holds the rights to the originals?
Old 07-24-23, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by mndtrp
Wouldn't a new recording be considered a cover song, requiring payments to the whomever holds the rights to the originals?
Likely royalties going to the original songwriter(s) who own the copyright on the composition. So if Taylor Swift wrote most of her own music, that is not an issue.

IIRC, there is a separate copyright on a recording which is where this issue of "re-recording" comes into play. So if Taylor Swift re-records all her old albums, the current copyright owner of the original recordings does not see a penny if nobody is licensing the original recordings.
Old 07-24-23, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by morriscroy
"Cocked & Re-loaded" is very raw sounding. No more overprocessing studio "velveeta" which infected their older major label releases.

With that being said, their only album I ever listened to over and over again was Hollywood Vampires. Though by then, sunset strip hairspray metal was already in decline and being eclipsed by seattle grunge.
"Raw sounding" is good, I'll have to check it out. I like Hollywood Vampires as well, that would be my second favorite of theirs.
Old 07-24-23, 03:10 PM

Received 112 Likes on 91 Posts

Oddly enough I saw LA Guns in concert Saturday night. They opened for Tom Keifer (Cinderella). Both put on a great show.

Hollywood Vampires was a great album and yes was largely overlooked as the genre was in decline at that point.
Old 07-24-23, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Oddly enough I saw LA Guns in concert Saturday night. They opened for Tom Keifer (Cinderella). Both put on a great show.

Hollywood Vampires was a great album and yes was largely overlooked as the genre was in decline at that point.
I haven't been keeping track, is Phil Lewis and Tracii Guns in the band at this point?

And yeah, Hollywood Vampires coming out three months before Nevermind sure didn't help it.
Old 07-24-23, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I have the "Hollywood Vampires" with the little pair of 3D glasses.

L.A. Guns has to have the craziest history of any band out there -- constant line-up changes, intertwined with Guns-n-Roses back in the early day (to the point where the "Guns" in Guns-n-Roses was Tracii Guns), and they even split into two different groups at one point.

Old 07-24-23, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That is crazy. I had no idea that Chris Holmes and Jizzy Pearl were in the band at one time. At this point, I consider the band with Phil and Tracii to be the real band, not the one with Steve Riley and Kelly Nickels (wonder whatever happened to Mick Cripps).

I forgot about the 3D cover and included glasses with Hollywood Vampires. I originally bought it on cassette when it first came out, and even that had a little pair of glasses.
Old 07-25-23, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 296 Likes on 189 Posts

40 years old today
Old 07-25-23, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Damn, 40 years. Happy anniversary to a great fucking album and a hugely influential game changer in the genre!
Old 07-25-23, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 639 Likes on 389 Posts

I remember hearing Kill Em All for the first time. I bought Kill Em All, Ride The Lightning and Master Of Puppets on cassette on the same day in 1986 based solely on the album covers. I had never heard of Metallica and at that point in my life I mostly listened to the radio and had three Madonna albums that I owned. I had my face melted when I first put Kill Em All on. I also picked up Iron Maiden's Somewhere In Time on the same day because I saw the cool album cover as I walked up to the cashier to pay for the cassettes. I had never heard of Iron Maiden either. Good times.
Old 07-25-23, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 112 Likes on 70 Posts

Picked up both the Cavalera Conspiracy/Sepultura rerecordings'. Love the production on them and while I own the originals I prefer the update. Looking forward to seeing them on tour, really hoping they drop a tour shirt with either of the cover arts as they are amazing.

Frozen Soul just announced an awesome looking new edition of the Wrecking Ball Metal Madness series. Cool to see a younger band take the reins and create something that has grown into something bigger. For those that don't know, during Covid shutdowns Frozen Soul put together an online concert called Wrecking Ball Metal Madness with Devourment, Frozen Soul, and Creeping Death. The Youtube concert can be found
. It was a highlight for me during Covid that I thought it was extremely well done and as far as virtual concerts was one of the only few I genuinely enjoyed and revisit often. That has turned into an ongoing yearly concert featuring alot of local Texas acts and other from outside the state. This is the first time it is 2 days.

Old 07-25-23, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by cultshock
And yeah, Hollywood Vampires coming out three months before Nevermind sure didn't help it.
I never heard it until sometime in the early-mid 1990s, where it was an impulse "blind buy" for me at the time. I found the cd in the $2 cutout bins, where it had a hole punched into the top of the cd case,

Years earlier, I vaguely remember seeing video/footage of LA Guns on mtv. At the time, I thought they sounded rather unimpressive and largely dismissed them as another "me too" hairspray metal band from the late 1980s. Eventually I picked up their earlier albums, and found them to be largely unmemorable and forgettable.

Throughout the 1990s decade, I picked up $3 cutout bin metal cds whenever I came across such titles by chance at record stores. Out of the late-1980s -> early-1990s glut of "me too" hairspray metal cds I picked up, I think I only ever came across a handful which were brilliant. One was the first Enuff Z'Nuff album, which I don't remember ever seeing / hearing back in the day. Previously, I had never even heard of Enuff Z'Nuff until I found several of their major label (Atco / Arista) cds titles in the $3 cutout bins during the mid 1990s.
Old 07-26-23, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 230 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by beavis69
Frozen Soul just announced an awesome looking new edition of the Wrecking Ball Metal Madness series. Cool to see a younger band take the reins and create something that has grown into something bigger. For those that don't know, during Covid shutdowns Frozen Soul put together an online concert called Wrecking Ball Metal Madness with Devourment, Frozen Soul, and Creeping Death.
I like Skinless quite a bit, particularly their Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead album.
Old 07-31-23, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by GuessWho

40 years old today
And for those who don't already know, the original title was supposed to be "Metal up your Ass" and the cover art was supposed to be hand clutching a dagger emerging from a toilet bowl.
Old 08-01-23, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 232 Likes on 145 Posts

Am I the only one who finds Kill 'Em All unlistenable?
Old 08-01-23, 09:50 AM
Political Exile

Received 491 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by joeblow69
All of those early thrash albums are so raw as to be almost unlistenable, but all are undeniably classics. Kill Em All, Bonded By Blood, Show No Mercy, Feel the Fire, Endless Pain, etc.
Old 08-01-23, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by PerryD
All of those early thrash albums are so raw as to be almost unlistenable, but all are undeniably classics. Kill Em All, Bonded By Blood, Show No Mercy, Feel the Fire, Endless Pain, etc.
Slightly earlier, a lot of the "proto thrash" albums sounded raw and almost unlistenable too.

For example, such as stuff like the first several Saxon albums (Strong Arm of the Law, Power & Glory, etc ...), Tank, Exciter, Anvil, Raven, and many of the NWOBHM titles released by Neat Records, Music For Nations, Mausoleum (ie. first Warlock album, etc ..), Roadrunner (ie. Mercyful Fate, etc ...), etc ...
Old 08-01-23, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I still think Kill 'Em All is a great album, far from unlistenable to me. It's raw, crunchy and full of energy, I love it. Same with the debut albums from Megadeth, Slayer, Exodus and Testament, they are all wonderful and I listen to them regularly. But maybe it's because I listen to tons of extreme metal these days, which these albums helped spawn.
Old 08-01-23, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by joeblow69
Since I bought "Kill'em All" after buying "Ride the Lightning" and "Master of Puppets," it took a while for me to warm up to it, and it's still my least favorite album of the three, but I quickly learned to love it.

And the opening riff to "Seek & Destroy," is the fucking bomb.

My copy, the vinyl from Columbia House, is also the reissue that has "Am I Evil?" and "Blitzkrieg" as bonus tracks, so that helped my enjoyment of it, too.

But, back then I was in junior high/freshman year, and everyone I knew hated Metallica and thrash metal, and they really fucking hated that album.

Old 08-01-23, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's interesting. I first started listening to thrash in 1986, so Puppets was the most recent Metallica album and the first one I heard. I loved it immediately, and from there went backward in their catalog, first to Lightning, which I thought was almost a "twin" to Puppets and liked it as well. Then I bought KEA and thought "Whoa, this is really powerful!". For awhile after that it was my favorite of theirs, but now it is still in my top three along with the other two mentioned.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.