Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official METAL! Thread- Metalcore, Thrash, Progressive, Death, and MORE

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The Official METAL! Thread- Metalcore, Thrash, Progressive, Death, and MORE

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-22, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts
Re: The Official METAL! Thread- Metalcore, Thrash, Progressive, Death, and MORE

First two Temple of avoid albums are really good, but this first single off the new album sounds like it could be a breakout album for them

Old 04-09-22, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock
I had the Canadian Banzai vinyl or cassette versions of those three albums, so no bonus tracks. Damn, I just checked the Banzai Welcome to Hell on Discogs, it sells for over $200, wish I still had my copy!
Looking more closely at the discogs pages of Venom titles, it appears the first three albums were released by Banzai sometime during 1984. The Combat versions had a 1985 date on the covers.

This might explain why I never saw the Combat versions of Welcome To Hell, Black Metal, and At War With Satan at the time. They were likely not yet released in america when I was first looking for them. So when I saw these Banzai versions of Venom albums at record stores in Toronto, I purchased them right away.

The djs of metal shows on college radio stations I was listening to at the time, were likely playing a lot of Venom songs from the original uk Neat Records versions of the albums and singles.
Old 04-10-22, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sounds like this might be the last year for Maryland Deathfest, at least for awhile. I'm not surprised the event coordinators are burnt out, Covid had to have made this fest an absolute nightmare to coordinate. On any given year they usually have around 10 cancellations that they are able to fill with various quality bands. Having to battle the covid restrictions, the travel bans, groups breaking up, groups deciding touring isn't worth it, and everything else had to get exhausting. Hopefully it is just temporary and they will be back in a few years. Either way, glad I have my 4 day pass and looking forward to enjoying some amazing bands.

https://www.theprp.com/2022/04/09/ne...years-edition/
Old 04-20-22, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

If you love old school In Flames, but can't listen to the bastardization that they've become, check out The Halo Effect.
Made up entirely of ex-In Flames band members, including the lead singer from Dark Tranquillity (who sang on In Flame's Lunar Strain).

Sounds pretty much what you'd hope an old school In Flames song would sound like:
Old 04-20-22, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,201 Likes on 1,505 Posts

Cool, not bad old school melodeath, certainly better than what In Flames has become.
Old 04-20-22, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Phodg
So I've listened to the new Abbath a few times. I like the songs, but the mix is atrocious. The drums just swamp everything - vocals, riffs, even guitar solos. I'm having a hard time getting through that.
I've compared the MP3, CD and vinyl of the new Abbath album and although the mix isn't great on any of them, the MP3 is often a mushy mess in particular. MP3s on my car speakers usually sound pretty good (my car has pretty nice speakers) but this one isn't great. The CD and vinyl do sound a bit better (especially the vinyl), with more detail and a bit more breathing room and the drums aren't quite as oppressive. I must say that Abbath's vocals sound good on this, better than the previous album where he was sounding quite raspy and ragged, I guess getting cleaned up has helped him, hope he stays on the wagon.
Old 06-17-22, 07:25 PM

This sounds like old school late-80s /early-90s style thrash/death metal, with ukrainian lyrics about war.

If the closed caption english translation is reliable, it is "We're Gonna Kill You All" by Surface Tension. Very angry sounding lyrics, which might possibly be the real deal if this is not a parody / joke. (Hard to tell on the surface, since I don't read/speak ukrainian).

Old 06-18-22, 07:32 AM

Came across Decapitated "Hello Death" in an unrelated search on youtube's algorithms. It sounds somewhat different from what I remembered of them back in the early-mid 2000s. (IIRC they were on Earache Records back in the 2000s decade).

This jogged my memory of Jinjer, which I thought sounded like generic groove/sludge style metal back in the mid-late 2010s. Looking up their more recent stuff, the tight sounding blast beats and sudden time changes caught my attention, along with the different singing/vocal styles.

Call Me A Symbol

Vortex

Last edited by morriscroy; 06-18-22 at 07:37 AM.
Old 06-18-22, 05:03 PM

Listening to Kreator's recently released "Hate Uber Alles" album. The songwriting is ok, albeit standard kreator type fare over the past 20+ years. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Though the production sounds somewhat odd. It sounds like the guitars have an "unnatural" multitracking and/or reverb added to it, which makes it sound very "diffuse" and thin. (Their last few albums have a much clearer well defined sounding guitar).
Old 06-19-22, 06:08 AM

Listening to long forgotten swiss thrash band Messiah, which I never knew existed back in the 80s. They had released two albums "Hymn to Abramelin" and "Exteme Cold Weather" on an obscure short lived label. It was later re-released by Nuclear Blast in 1990 with both albums on one cd. (I was aware of Nuclear Blast around 1990, but didn't bother buying many titles anymore by then).

I only first came across Messiah when I found their 3rd album "Choir of Horrors" from 1991, in a $2 dump bin in the late 1990s. This 1991 album was actually released on Noise Records, which by then I wasn't really paying attention to anymore.

Somewhat generic and forgettable thrash typical of that late 1980s -> early 1990s time period.
Old 06-19-22, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by morriscroy
Listening to Kreator's recently released "Hate Uber Alles" album. The songwriting is ok, albeit standard kreator type fare over the past 20+ years. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Though the production sounds somewhat odd. It sounds like the guitars have an "unnatural" multitracking and/or reverb added to it, which makes it sound very "diffuse" and thin. (Their last few albums have a much clearer well defined sounding guitar).
I decided to listen what other albums the producer/engineer Arthur Rizk has done in the recent past, such as:

Sacred Reich - Awakening (2019)
Cavalera Conspiracy - Psychosis (2017)
Cro-Mags - In The Beginning (2017), Don't GIve In (7" 2019), From The Grave (7" 2019), 2020 (ep 2020)

This odd "thin" guitar sound might very well be Rizk's standard production / mixing style, where it is noticable on these ^ past releases. The rhythm guitar also lower in the mix.
Old 06-20-22, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Read an interview with Kreator where said they deliberately sought that producer out as they loved his work. They wanted to get away from the generic sounding modern production they've had for the last few albums.
Old 06-23-22, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

During my bandcamp searching last Friday I came across a band called Sadist out of Italy who just released a new album called Firescorched. Thought they were new but ends up they have been around since 91. Reminded me alot of my favorite Pestilence album Spheres

Megadeth also dropped their first single, We'll Be Back, off their new album The Sick, The Dying… And The Dead!. I was a big fan of Dystopia, so much so that I think that album could have easily been released between Peace Sells and Rust in Peace. This new single seems to be a continuation of that quality from Dystopia and I'm excited for the new album.
Old 06-24-22, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts

I really dig the new Ozzy song. I haven't bought an Ozzy album since No More Tears but I might give this one a chance.
Old 07-12-22, 10:22 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Just picked up a VIP Meet & Greet ticket for Chicago. Even with as many shows that I go to, I still get shocked by service fees ($52 on top of the $159 ticket).
Amon Amarth Tour link

Old 07-13-22, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yea that announcment is a no brainer. I might stay for a bit of Amon Amarth and if they blow me away I'll stay for the whole thing, but they have never been my cup of tea. With this one I think Obituary has overtaken Lamb of God as the band I've seen the most. I just saw Carcass for the first time at MDF this year and looking forward to seeing them again. Saw Cattle Decaptition in San Diego 3 times, will be interesting to see how they sound in a bigger venue.
Old 07-20-22, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts

Not sure if there are any Slipknot fans here but they announced a new album, THE END, SO FAR, for Sept 30 release.
The following users liked this post:
miller_time22 (07-22-22)
Old 07-29-22, 08:01 PM

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Just saw that a new Grima album, Frostbitten (appropriate title for their music), is out.
cultshock (07-30-22)
Old 07-30-22, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom Jr
Just saw that a new Grima album, Frostbitten (appropriate title for their music), is out.
Yep, I ordered a copy, I love that band. I'd love to see them live but considering they are a Russian band (Siberia) I'm not sure I'll ever get the chance.
Old 09-15-22, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Got my limited, signed vinyl of Behemoth's newest a few days ago. It's in a similar vein to their previous LP, so your opinion of this one will likely depend on what you thought of that one. I think it's pretty good but not amazing (it's no The Satanist). Gorgeous package as usual, gatefold sleeve with gold hot foil stamping, 12x12" twenty-two page booklet, etc. and signed on the cover in gold ink by Nergal, Inferno and Orion.

PerryD (09-15-22)
Old 09-25-22, 09:18 PM

Heh.

Recently Sodom actually re-recorded the lost track "After The Deluge" from the German pressing of "Obsessed By Cruelty". Apparently on the american Metal Blade version with the really crappy Horst Mueller production, the track "After the Deluge" was missing in spite of being listed on the back cover.

2022 re-recorded version.

1986 original version on the original German Steamhammer vinyl pressing of "Obsessed by Cruelty"

Old 09-26-22, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think Sodom re-recorded a bunch of their older songs for a new compilaton coming out next month celebrating their 40th (!) anniversary.

I wish I still had my original vinyl copy of Obsessed by Cruelty, it goes for hundreds of dollars now. I remember when I first listened to it back in the mid 80's, I thought it was one of the most primitive, underground sounding metal albums I'd ever heard. I can see why it was such an influence on the early Norwegian black metal bands, for the rawness alone.
Old 09-26-22, 11:58 AM

That 2022 re-recorded version of "After The Deluge" sounds like it could have been a song straight out of Persecution Mania or Agent Orange.

The original 1986 version didn't do it justice, and sounded kinda horrible.
Old 09-26-22, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This showed up in the mail today. A German label, Darkness Shall Rise, that specializes in tape box sets put out an expensive 14 tape Emperor set earlier this year which included a great hardcover book, gotta be well over 200 pages or so, full of photos, interviews, etc. Luckily, they were selling extra copies of the books by themselves so I picked one up for around $25 shipped from Europe. It's great, just wish it was closer to the size of a coffee table book (it's a bit bigger than 8x5 inches).

Old 11-17-22, 02:01 PM

Listening to the re-released remaster of Kreator's 1999 album Endorama, which was released earlier this year by AFM records. (I dropped by a nearby record store during lunch).

I had this cd back in the day, but seemed to have lost it.

Refreshing my memory, it was one of their "experimental" albums during the 1990s. One of their attempts at sounding "melodic" without the harshness. However much they tried, the harshness remains.

After this album, it seems like this more melodic approach became a part of their standard sound since.

Also picked up their recent Hate Uber Alles cd.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.