Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official METAL! Thread- Metalcore, Thrash, Progressive, Death, and MORE

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The Official METAL! Thread- Metalcore, Thrash, Progressive, Death, and MORE

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-21, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Re: The Official METAL! Thread- Metalcore, Thrash, Progressive, Death, and MORE

I see Lars Goran Petrov, vocalist for Entombed died. Left Hand Path is still my favorite death metal album ever.
Old 03-09-21, 09:40 PM

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

So, how do folks like the year so far? Any 2021 albums tickling your fancy? I'm digging:

IOTUNN - Access All Worlds. Progressive spacey Metal.
Summoning the Lich - United in Chaos. Death Metal debut straight outta Missouri.
Paranorm - Empyrean. Thrash Death Metal, with old school influences.

Old 03-11-21, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom Jr
So, how do folks like the year so far? Any 2021 albums tickling your fancy? I'm digging:

IOTUNN - Access All Worlds. Progressive spacey Metal.
Summoning the Lich - United in Chaos. Death Metal debut straight outta Missouri.
Paranorm - Empyrean. Thrash Death Metal, with old school influences.

Only one so far that has blown me alway is Asphyx’s Necroceros. Looking forward to Sanguisugaboggs first album end of month as I enjoyed the EP and all the singles released so far. Couple of albums I need to give more of a listen to.
Old 03-13-21, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Listening to Vektor.

These guys sound like the "killing technology" era of Voivod played slightly faster.
Old 03-13-21, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts

That's what I like about them, because I love Killing Technology.
Old 04-16-21, 01:13 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

I thought I'd catch up with some new singles released in the past week. Here is one from the band with one of the best singers in metal

Old 04-16-21, 01:14 PM
Political Exile

After a 5 year hiatus, Fear Factory released a new single this morning, and it's great. Too bad Burton has already quit the band, so any live performance will be with the new TBD singer.

Old 04-20-21, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock
That's what I like about them, because I love Killing Technology.
The abuse stuff was enough to put me off them ..

https://astralnoizeuk.com/2020/06/01...e-metal-scene/
Old 04-20-21, 10:03 AM
Political Exile

Cannibal Corpse has a new album, sounds great on my first listen.

Old 04-21-21, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

I haven't listened to the new Fear Factory song yet, will wait for the full album. I hope the new singer is similar enough to Burton's style. Dino hasn't really had singers in his groups that I've cared for, for the most part. Burton's live vocals have been awful every time I've seen them, probably 5 times since 2000.
Old 05-09-21, 02:01 AM

Sodom doing a cool cover of Venom's classic song "Leave Me In Hell". It appears this was from an EP "A Handful of Bullets" which was only released (so far) as a metal magazine exclusive late last year.

Old 05-10-21, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Cool and thanks for the heads up, as a Sodom fan I'll have to track down that EP.

Old 05-11-21, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Emperor will be doing a live stream on May 23rd, set list will cover their entire catalog and ex-members Faust and Mortiis will make appearances as well.

https://munin.live/x-event/emperial_wrath/
Old 06-11-21, 05:29 PM

New Wolves in the Throne room coming August 20th.

Old 06-20-21, 06:38 PM

New Carcass album "Torn Arteries" coming September 17th.

The following users liked this post:
miller_time22 (06-21-21)
Old 07-10-21, 05:25 PM

Listening to Flotsam & Jetsam's second album "No Place For Disgrace" from 1988.

I completely forgot about this album, until I saw it at a nearby record store and decided to pick it up. (I had a vinyl copy back in the day).

Listening to it now, I never realized how crappy the production was. It was a Bill Metoyer production soaked in a lot of artificial reverb / echo.

It even had a cover of Elton John's "Saturday's Night Alright For Fighting".
Old 07-10-21, 10:52 PM

Listened to the 2014 re-recorded version of Flotsam & Jetsam's second album "No Place For Disgrace".

With modern recording technology, this 2014 version sounds clearer and not muddy. There is no excess reverb/echo soaking up the sound.
Old 07-10-21, 11:06 PM

Another album I completely forgot about over the years is Wargasm's "Why Play Around".

Also listen through their second album Ugly, which was released and largely buried during death metal's heydays.

Good stuff, that could have been. They sounded like a faster version of Meliah Rage. (The singer of Wargasm played bass for Meliah Rage, after Wargasm broke up in the mid-1990s).
Old 07-11-21, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by morriscroy
Listening to Flotsam & Jetsam's second album "No Place For Disgrace" from 1988.

I completely forgot about this album, until I saw it at a nearby record store and decided to pick it up. (I had a vinyl copy back in the day).

Listening to it now, I never realized how crappy the production was. It was a Bill Metoyer production soaked in a lot of artificial reverb / echo.

It even had a cover of Elton John's "Saturday's Night Alright For Fighting".
Man, I haven't heard that album in years. I bought it on CD when it first came out (being a big fan of the band's debut), and recall not really caring for the sound of the album or the songs themselves. For me it was a disappointment after the great first album, so I kinda lost track of the band after that.
Old 07-11-21, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Yeah, I kind of liked the cover of "Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting," but the rest of the album left me cold. I have it on vinyl, but haven't listened to it in ages.

I never really had a problem with Metoyer-produced albums, but looking over his body of work on wikipedia, it seems like a lot of bands didn't really come into their own until they moved on to different producers (Slayer, Trouble, Corrosion of Conformity).

I really liked Sacred Reich's "American Way" album and D.R.I.'s "Thrash Zone," though. Both are great thrash albums.
Old 07-12-21, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Yeah, I kind of liked the cover of "Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting," but the rest of the album left me cold. I have it on vinyl, but haven't listened to it in ages.

I never really had a problem with Metoyer-produced albums, but looking over his body of work on wikipedia, it seems like a lot of bands didn't really come into their own until they moved on to different producers (Slayer, Trouble, Corrosion of Conformity).

I really liked Sacred Reich's "American Way" album and D.R.I.'s "Thrash Zone," though. Both are great thrash albums.
This original 1988 version of Flotsam & Jetsam's "No Place For Disgrace" didn't really sound like a typical Bill Metoyer production from that time period. Metoyer usually didn't flood the sound with a lot of excess reverb.

Though looking more closely at the credits, it turns out this album was mixed by Michael Wagener.

https://www.discogs.com/release/2365...isgrace/images

This would completely explain all that artificial reverb, which was typical of Wagener's productons/mixing in those days. During the 1980s, Wagener produced/mixed a lot metal stuff like: White Lion, Dokken, Accept, Metallica "Master of Puppets", Alice Cooper "Constrictor", Megadeth "So Far So Good So What", Skid Row, Stryper "Soldiers Under Command", Poison "Look What The Cat Dragged In", etc ...

Wagener's production style was fine for lighter stuff (ie. Dokken, Alicer Cooper, etc ...), while it seemed to make things worse for heavier stuff like Flotsam & Jetsam, Megadeth, Skid Row, etc ... I thought the latter's albums produced/mixed by Wagener all sounded like a "muddy slickness" (such as the entire "Slave To The Grind" album and "So Far So Good So What).

Old 07-28-21, 04:32 PM

Listening to "Within Suffering" from Overthrow. Oddly enough, this album was produced / mixed by Scott Burns (of the florida death metal era in the early 1990s).

They were another long forgotten late 80s thrash band from Toronto, Canada. On one of my last trips to Toronto back around 1990, I picked up an Overthrow cassette that sounded like a demo tape which was released on "Epidemic Records".

I don't recall these two Overthrow titles ever being released outside of Toronto (or Canada) in those days.
Old 07-28-21, 08:55 PM

Another band on "Epidemic Records" I completely overlooked for the longest time, was Malhavoc. Back in the day, I picked up Malhavoc's first cd "The Release" when I saw it in a then-local dump bin. It was a $1 blind buy based solely on the "caroline records" pedigree. (It turned out a few Epidemic Records titles were licensed to Metal Blade or Caroline Records in america).

It turned out the american version of "The Release" was very different than the original canadian epidemic version. The american version turned out to be a compilation consisting of the first half of the original canadian version of "the release" which was mostly industrial metal style stuff, along with the subsequent canadian released "the punishment" ep. I didn't think much of it at the time, and didn't really pay much attention to Malhavoc afterward.

What I never knew at the time, was that the second half of the canadian version of "the release" were actually tracks from an older unreleased Malhavoc album which was old school thrash. I only discovered this many years later after coming across the metal blade version of Malhavoc's "Premedidated Murder" album, in another then-local dump bin of $1 titles. The final few tracks on "premeditated murder" sounded like old school thrash, and didn't sound like industrial metal type stuff.

Doing some googling, I eventually figured out that the original canadian versions of "The Release" and "Premeditated Murder", had all (or almost all) of the old school thrash metal tracks which Malhavoc recorded in 1988 for an album which wasn't released at the time. (Purportedly this unreleased album was suppose to be called "Shrine").

When I finally got these canadian versions of "The Release" and "Premedidated Murder", the tracks 9 -> 14 on "the release" and tracks 11 -> 13 on "premeditated murder" were the old school thrash songs from 1988 which sounded sorta like Sacrifice's "Forward to Termination" with a different singer. (Malhavoc, Sacrifice, and the Overthrow demo were all produced by Brian Taylor in those days).

Old 07-29-21, 09:02 PM

Listening to "The Only Safe Place" by Abattoir. Another long forgotten thrash album from 1986 on combat records.

I had the vinyl back in the day. A then-hypothetical cd version was on my wish list for many years during the 1990s, until I was able to get the german version released by century media. (Century media licensed a large part of the old Combat Records catalog, and re-released it on cd back in 1999).
Old 07-29-21, 09:12 PM

IIRC, most of the Century Media licensed Combat stuff was never released on cd in america at the time in 1999.

The only american versions of CenturyMedia/Combat re-releases I remember seeing in those days, were:

Crumbsuckers - Life of Dreams
Dark Angel - Darkness Descends
Possessed - Seven Churches
Possessed - Beyond The Gates

In contrast, the german versions of the CenturyMedia/Combat re-releases had a large part of the combat catalog. No idea why this happened, other than maybe perhaps rights/licensing type issues in america.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.