Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official METAL! Thread- Metalcore, Thrash, Progressive, Death, and MORE

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The Official METAL! Thread- Metalcore, Thrash, Progressive, Death, and MORE

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-14, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Official METAL! Thread- Metalcore, Thrash, Progressive, Death, and MORE

Found this, needed to share it. Awesome site http://mapofmetal.com/#/home
Old 04-03-14, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by sniper007
Found this, needed to share it. Awesome site http://mapofmetal.com/#/home
Thanks for the link! This is a site I reference a lot, but he isn't always great about updates: http://www.bnrmetal.com/v3/home/main
Old 04-05-14, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Traxan
Aldious continues to fascinate me, and not just because they are hot.

They sport some wicked extensions/wigs, though.
Band is great instrumentally, but that singer is weak.
Old 04-05-14, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Her hiring was pretty divisive. Old fans preferred the original singer, who had to leave the band due to undisclosed health problems. Given how weird the Japanese are about cancer, I suspect that might be it.

The old singer was a shouter, really. The new girl does sing. The band toned it down a bit. With the old singer they were noisier and heavier. Also, they all were still wearing gowns and doing that whole hostess bar gimmick during her time. When they hired the new singer they adopted a more metal look.

Old 04-05-14, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I'm more concerned at the moment with how The Agonist is going to sound. I think Alisa is going to be a fine and dandy fit for Arch Enemy, but I'll definitely miss her actual singing. I haven't really heard anything from the new girl in Agonist yet, so, I'll have to see if I like her style. It's not always doom and gloom... I actually don't mind the new singer for iwrestledabearonce, and I was heavily concerned about that.
Old 05-06-14, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

Full stream of Agalloch's new one at npr:
http://www.npr.org/2014/05/04/308273...ent-the-sphere
Old 05-08-14, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Cynic's Sean Reinert and Paul Masvidal come out of the closet.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...ry.html#page=1

Paul Masvidal has played in some of America's most intense heavy metal bands for more than 20 years. Visit his Echo Park home, however, and it's clear he's finally found peace.

The 43-year-old singer-guitarist, sinewy and gently graying at the temples, lives in a royal-blue Craftsman with a wide view of Echo Park Lake. The bookcases are stacked with thick references on esoteric spirituality. Photos on the fridge show sweet, fading scenes from an old relationship; a tuckered-out Australian cattle-dog mix plonks itself at his feet.

His closets overflow with boxes of vinyl LPs of the new album by his band, Cynic, released in February to metal-scene acclaim. In the early '90s, the group he co-founded with drummer Sean Reinert mixed ferocious distortion with jazz-inspired musicianship that helped establish the genre of progressive metal. Two decades later, they're one of metal's coolest influences.

Most musicians would murder for a resume like that. But there's one thing that Masvidal and Reinert have stayed quiet about in their public lives, until now.

Both men are gay and stars in a music scene where bands can wear corpse-paint makeup and leather S&M garb while singing about Satan and dismemberment — yet genuinely nonconforming sexuality hasn't always been welcome.

Though they've been comfortably out for years in their private lives, the two haven't yet spoken about their sexuality in the context of their music.

As artists, they've pushed the edges of heavy metal music for most of their lives. Now they're ready to challenge old stereotypes about sexuality in one of music's most aggressively masculine genres.

"I see all those old dudes out there just banging their heads to our records," Reinert said, wearing an imposing goatee and extra-large Miami Dolphins jersey. "And I have to think — 'That stuff you're banging your head to? That is some gay, gay metal, man.'"
Old 05-30-14, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've been listening to the new Triptykon "Melana Chasmata" a lot lately. This is Tom Warrior's (from Celtic Frost) latest project.

The album is suprisingly catchy for what could be considered "experimental" metal. Bass-heavy mix, fantastic musicianship and long (but not wanking) songs. It's a great follow up to their debut, which I consider an instant classic. Easily one of the best metal albums I've heard this year. Also, check out that sweet Giger album cover, probably one of the last things Giger ever did.
Old 05-30-14, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Hiro11
I've been listening to the new Triptykon "Melana Chasmata" a lot lately. This is Tom Warrior's (from Celtic Frost) latest project.

The album is suprisingly catchy for what could be considered "experimental" metal. Bass-heavy mix, fantastic musicianship and long (but not wanking) songs. It's a great follow up to their debut, which I consider an instant classic. Easily one of the best metal albums I've heard this year. Also, check out that sweet Giger album cover, probably one of the last things Giger ever did.
I'm right there with you. Great stuff! Definitely continuing the spirit of Celtic Frost. They cancelled their appearance at Maryland Deathfest due to Giger's death. Hopefully they will be coming back and headlining at a smaller venue.
Old 06-02-14, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I listened to it and I don't like it. It's better than their first (which I hated), but still not for me. A couple of decent tracks but Tom's still up his own arse.
Old 06-17-14, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I also really like the new Insomnium, this band really can't make a bad album.
Old 06-29-14, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Hiro11

Old 06-30-14, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

I'm not sure they've been "metal" in a while, but the new Anathema is just about as good as the last two if you like what they've been doing lately.

This might be my favorite track right now.

Last edited by bunkaroo; 05-26-16 at 01:49 PM.
Old 07-06-14, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I'm not sure they've been "metal" in a while, but the new Anathema is just about as good as the last two if you like what they've been doing lately.

This might be my favorite track right now.
I'm enjoying the new album so far, even though some of the lyrics come off as really corny or cliche sometimes. It does make me miss the old stuff like this, though
Old 07-06-14, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

New Septicflesh is out ... this stuff rips!
Old 07-07-14, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by joeblow69
I'm enjoying the new album so far, even though some of the lyrics come off as really corny or cliche sometimes. It does make me miss the old stuff like this, though
I pretty much look at them as two different bands now - I like both.

Originally Posted by joeblow69
New Septicflesh is out ... this stuff rips!
Agreed - love this kind of stuff and this is their best yet of their recent releases.
Old 07-15-14, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

New release today - another great record from these guys:

Last edited by bunkaroo; 05-26-16 at 01:47 PM.
Old 07-18-14, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The new Opeth is very proggy. Very.

The new Overkill is excellent. Apart from the stupid Manowar-ish chorus in the last track.

The new Entombed AD is ... meh. Not bad, not great.

That is all.
Old 10-10-14, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

New At The Gates is pretty good
Old 10-15-14, 09:38 AM

The New Exodus - Blood In Blood Out, Pretty Damn Good!
Old 10-15-14, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yup. Glad Dukes is gone and Zetro's back.
Old 01-09-15, 04:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

Little late to the party I guess but has anyone listened to Panopticons album Roads to the North. Record is all over the map when it comes to genres but overall I'd say black metal. Wish I had heard this one back in August. I guess the band is from Kentucky, would explain the blue grass in the middle of it.
Old 02-20-15, 10:51 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

American Metal Legends TESTAMENT Announce “Dark Roots of Thrash II” Tour, Coming April 2015

TESTAMENT to Perform an Exclusive New Set List, Including The Legacy and The New Order in Their Entirety + Select Practice What You Preach Album Cuts

Pioneers of the classic American metal scene, TESTAMENT, are announcing what will undoubtedly be the most crushing heavy metal tour to hit North America this spring – the Dark Roots of Thrash II tour! The Dark Roots of Thrash II tour will conquer North America for five weeks, beginning April 1st in San Francisco, and will include select TESTAMENT and EXODUS festival performances. Select cities are on sale now, and more dates will be announced soon.
Adding to TESTAMENT’s live onslaught, fans will receive a guaranteed pummelling from the Dark Roots of Thrash II tour’s revered support: fellow Bay Area-thrashers EXODUS and Texas melodic metal assailants SHATTERED SUN.

TESTAMENT, EXODUS and SHATTERED SUN “Dark Roots of Thrash II” Dates:
04/01/15 Regency Ballroom – San Francisco, CA
04/02/15 House Of Blues – Hollywood, CA
04/03/15 Livewire – Scottsdale, AZ
04/04/15 Sunshine Theater – Albuquerque, NM
04/06/15 Aztec Theater – San Antonio, TX
04/07/15 House Of Blues – Houston, TX
04/08/15 House Of Blues – Dallas, TX
04/10/15 Pop’s – Sauget, IL
04/11/15 Mojoes – Joliet, IL
04/12/15 Harpo’s – Detroit, MI
04/13/15 The Intersection – Grand Rapids, MI
04/15/15 Phoenix Concert Theatre – Toronto, ON – CANADA
04/16/15 Rapids Theatre – Niagara Falls, NY
04/17/15 Starland Ballroom – Sayreville, NJ
04/18/15 The Palladium – Worcester, MA, New England Metal & Hardcore Festival
04/19/15 The Paramount – Huntington, NY
04/21/15 Mercury Ballroom – Louisville, KY
04/22/15 Cannery Ballroom – Nashville, TN
04/23/15 Masquerade – Atlanta, GA

In addition to its monumental line-up, the Dark Roots of Thrash II tour sees TESTAMENT serving up another surprise for die-hard fans of their early tenure. Each night, TESTAMENT will perform an epic headlining set that digs deep into the early discography that launched their worldwide career spanning two-and-a-half decades. TESTAMENT’s exclusive set will feature full-album performances of 1987’s classic body of work The Legacy and 1988’s unrelenting The New Order, in addition to select tracks from 1989’s mainstream crossover Practice What You Preach.

Brothers and sisters in metal – meet TESTAMENT and EXODUS via a combined VIP Meet & Greet Experience package – available for the first time during this tour via www.slotix.com. The combined VIP experience includes:
· One Premium Reserved ticket or One General Admission ticket
· A Meet & Greet with select members of TESTAMENT and EXODUS
· Individual & Group Photo opportunities with select members of TESTAMENT and EXODUS
· Exclusive TESTAMENT/EXODUS poster
· Collectible TESTAMENT/EXODUS commemorative laminate
· On-site check-in staff

TESTAMENT vocalist Chuck Billy states, “The stars have finally aligned. After almost 30 years of touring, TESTAMENT and EXODUS get to share our individual styles of thrash metal across the U.S. and Canada. The Day of Reckoning is here and coming to a town near you. Good times with good friends – heavy metal forever!”

EXODUS guitarist Gary Holt adds, “EXODUS are very excited in the most violent of fashion to announce our part in the Dark Roots of Thrash II tour with our old friends and label mates TESTAMENT, as well as soon to be new friends SHATTERED SUN! This is gonna be a thrash metal tour de force and we cannot wait to deliver a Bay Area beating to everyone, everywhere, in every way! We shall see everyone out there!”
Old 02-20-15, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

Any metal fan should get this immediately. Relapse Records 25th anniversery is celebrating by releasing a by what you want sampler of all their best best. 184 songs. Very sick compilation album.

https://relapsesampler.bandcamp.com/
Old 06-05-15, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Anyone seeing Agalloch on this tour?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.