Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official METAL! Thread- Metalcore, Thrash, Progressive, Death, and MORE

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The Official METAL! Thread- Metalcore, Thrash, Progressive, Death, and MORE

Old 02-22-12, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The Official METAL! Thread- Metalcore, Thrash, Progressive, Death, and MORE

New Christian Mistress out:
Old 02-24-12, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/unZ6YM8a-ZQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Killer!
Old 02-24-12, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/unZ6YM8a-ZQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Killer!
Yes, agreed. I love the fact they aren't re-inventing the wheel. At this point, put out what the fans expect and try to keep it fresh. I'll be picking this up for sure.
Old 02-24-12, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 375 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by Mordred
New Christian Mistress out:
Definitely a love them or hate them kind of band.

I do love this band. I need to hear the new album.
Old 02-25-12, 09:23 PM

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IcShoK7jPq8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I find it near impossible that any other album being released this year could match how good this is going to be. I saw them as middle act when I saw Wolves in the Throne Room in San Francisco last month, and they completely stole the show. They played the above song and another from the still un-released Come the Thaw, and I was just blown away--they were far and away the best band of the night. Can't wait for the album. CD comes out next month, then vinyl in the Summer via Flenser. Need that HEADLINING tour now haha.
Old 02-26-12, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Definitely a love them or hate them kind of band.

I do love this band. I need to hear the new album.
It's pretty good, although Agony & Opium is better. On another forum (the one that turned me on to them) a lot of the guys were a little disappointed in this album, feeling that there was a little southern rock influence in it. I did not have the same complaint though.
Old 02-27-12, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by roughdraft_zero
I find it near impossible that any other album being released this year could match how good this is going to be. I saw them as middle act when I saw Wolves in the Throne Room in San Francisco last month, and they completely stole the show. They played the above song and another from the still un-released Come the Thaw, and I was just blown away--they were far and away the best band of the night. Can't wait for the album. CD comes out next month, then vinyl in the Summer via Flenser. Need that HEADLINING tour now haha.
That was a great show.

Worm Ouroboros just played Eli's Mile High Club in Oakland this past Friday. Missed it since I was in Oakland the night before for English Dogs and I didn't feel like driving back the next night.

Originally Posted by Mordred
It's pretty good, although Agony & Opium is better. On another forum (the one that turned me on to them) a lot of the guys were a little disappointed in this album, feeling that there was a little southern rock influence in it. I did not have the same complaint though.
I'll definitely have to listen to it this week.
Old 02-28-12, 10:03 PM

I lied--possible 2012 album of the year contender to Worm Ouroboros:

<iframe width="400" height="100" style="position: relative; display: block; width: 400px; height: 100px;" src="http://bandcamp.com/EmbeddedPlayer/v=2/album=95228431/size=venti/bgcol=FFFFFF/linkcol=4285BB/" allowtransparency="true" frameborder="0">Anarchic by Skagos</iframe>

This is incredible.
Old 02-29-12, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 232 Likes on 145 Posts

This is incredible.
hmm, reminds me of Altar of Plagues
Old 02-29-12, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"

After reading the high praise, I grabbed Wolves In The Throne Room's newest, "Celestial Lineage". Damn, that is pretty amazing. Completely exceeded my expectations.

What has surprised me, is a lot of these newer "Black" metal bands have a surprising amount of depth. Meaning, they don't just do black metal...there is so much more going on. The European black metal scene was never really anything I had interest in. But if there are bands that can make music like the Americans, I am certainly interested in hearing it.

Worm Ouroboros is up next...
Old 02-29-12, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 232 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by macnorton
After reading the high praise, I grabbed Wolves In The Throne Room's newest, "Celestial Lineage". Damn, that is pretty amazing. Completely exceeded my expectations.
I liked it too, but thought the female vocals were a bit much.
Old 03-01-12, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by joeblow69
hmm, reminds me of Altar of Plagues
Wouldn't say that they're glaringly dissimilar, but wouldn't ever really think that they were particularly comparable, either--but whatever.

Their best work, in my opinion, is from the split they did with Panopticon. The following song, in particular, is the absolute crowning jewel of their complete discography (from what I've heard--lots of their early stuff is extremely limited and long out of print/stock...not to mention that opinion may change upon the release of the new full length this summer):

<iframe width="400" height="100" style="position: relative; display: block; width: 400px; height: 100px;" src="http://bandcamp.com/EmbeddedPlayer/v=2/track=2428943782/size=venti/bgcol=FFFFFF/linkcol=4285BB/" allowtransparency="true" frameborder="0">Anamnesis II: A Dry, Sterile Thunder, Without Rain by Skagos</iframe>

What has surprised me, is a lot of these newer "Black" metal bands have a surprising amount of depth. Meaning, they don't just do black metal...there is so much more going on. The European black metal scene was never really anything I had interest in. But if there are bands that can make music like the Americans, I am certainly interested in hearing it.

Worm Ouroboros is up next...
I thought Celestial Lineage was ok, but only a hair better than the rather forgettable Black Cascade from 2009. Their best work are their 2006 and 2007 full-lengths, Diadem of 12 Stars and Two Hunters, the latter being my personal favorite. The EP Malevolent Grain is also rather exceptional, I'd say.

How well-versed in American black metal are you, by the way?
Old 03-01-12, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm a total WITTR flag waving fan, so I tend to love everything they do. I loved Celestial Lineage. The analog production, the raw crust; it's a powerful record, even more so when heard live. It doesn't top Two Hunters, and I'd put it slightly above Black Cascade, although I did love that record, too.

Their live shows are so mesmerizing; it's like going into a trance state.
Old 03-01-12, 10:22 AM

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"

I thought Celestial Lineage was ok, but only a hair better than the rather forgettable Black Cascade from 2009. Their best work are their 2006 and 2007 full-lengths, Diadem of 12 Stars and Two Hunters, the latter being my personal favorite. The EP Malevolent Grain is also rather exceptional, I'd say.

How well-versed in American black metal are you, by the way?
Not very at all. As I said, black metal as a whole was a turn off for me. But the American style is something I can get into.

If there are other suggestions, by all means send them my way. I would love to give them a listen.

PS - I got the EP too, which is next on my list of things to listen to this week.
Old 03-01-12, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

<iframe width="400" height="100" style="position: relative; display: block; width: 400px; height: 100px;" src="http://bandcamp.com/EmbeddedPlayer/v=2/album=95228431/size=venti/bgcol=FFFFFF/linkcol=4285BB/" allowtransparency="true" frameborder="0">Anarchic by Skagos</iframe>

This is incredible.
Didn't even know that Skagos was working on anything new. Thanks for posting!
Old 03-01-12, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not very at all. As I said, black metal as a whole was a turn off for me. But the American style is something I can get into.

If there are other suggestions, by all means send them my way. I would love to give them a listen.

PS - I got the EP too, which is next on my list of things to listen to this week.
I'd recommend checking out Drudkh, Agalloch, and Gallowbraid, although the last two are more folk black metal.

Last edited by islandclaws; 03-03-12 at 10:15 AM.
Old 03-02-12, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 249 Likes on 160 Posts

This is incredible.
Jesus Christ.

No offense to those who like it, but this is fucking horrible. Is this what Iron Maiden and Metallica sounded like to my parents*, who referred to it as noise? Have I gotten that old already?

*actually, Dad liked Aces High when he heard me listening to it one morning way back in the 1980s.
Old 03-03-12, 07:01 AM

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I'd recomend checking out Drudkh.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/eYuBosJfCe4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-04-12, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hell yea. I didn't know they had a new album out. Thanks.
Old 03-05-12, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

I prefer my metal blackened as opposed to all-black. Great new album....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ybKifd3J0NI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-05-12, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jason
Jesus Christ.

No offense to those who like it, but this is fucking horrible. Is this what Iron Maiden and Metallica sounded like to my parents*, who referred to it as noise? Have I gotten that old already?

*actually, Dad liked Aces High when he heard me listening to it one morning way back in the 1980s.
It's an acquired taste. I can listen and enjoy some black metal, but prefer Trad. Metal to it for sure. If you can get past the vocals (which is often the sticking point for me) there's a fair amount to like, so long as you can enjoy music that completely eschews the verse-chorus-verse blueprint.
Old 03-05-12, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Phodg
I prefer my metal blackened as opposed to all-black. Great new album....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ybKifd3J0NI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I love that dude's voice.
Old 03-19-12, 05:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So in my opinion, Overkill's Electric Age is better than Ironbound.
Old 03-19-12, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by anomynous
So in my opinion, Overkill's Electric Age is better than Ironbound.
That is great news! Where did you pick it up and how much?
Old 03-20-12, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

'Death To All Tour 2012' Dates Announced - Mar. 16, 2012

Sick Drummer Magazine and Perseverance Holdings Ltd. have announced the "Death To All Tour 2012" in benefit of Sweet Relief. This five-city tour will feature a majority of DEATH's amazing musicians, as well as special guests. This tour is to celebrate the life and music of Chuck Schuldiner, as well as to raise awareness of Sweet Relief Musicians Fund a charity that provides financial assistance to career musicians faced with illness, disability or age-related problems.

This tour will kick off in San Francisco, California and work its way to Orlando, Florida stopping in Los Angeles, Chicago and New York along the way.

The drums will be handled by Gene Hoglan ("Individual Thought Patterns", "Symbolic") and Sean Reinert ("Human"). On bass will be Steve DiGiorgio ("Human", "Individual Thought Patterns") and Scott Clendenin ("The Sound Of Perseverance"). Guitar duties will be shared by Paul Masvidal ("Human"), Shannon Hamm ("The Sound of Perseverance") and Bobby Koelble ("Symbolic").

The dates are as follows:

June 22 - The Regency Ballroom - San Francisco, CA
June 23 - House of Blues West Hollywood, CA
June 26 - House of Blues - Chicago, IL
June 28 - Irving Plaza New York, NY
June 30 - The Beacham - Orlando, FL

For more information, go to this location.

Chuck died on December 13, 2001 after a battle with pontine glioma, a rare type of brain tumor.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XIG4duef7J0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
http://legacy.roadrunnerrecords.com/...sitemID=171322

Holy fu...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.