Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official METAL! Thread- Metalcore, Thrash, Progressive, Death, and MORE

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The Official METAL! Thread- Metalcore, Thrash, Progressive, Death, and MORE

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-11, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Re: The Official METAL! Thread- Metalcore, Thrash, Progressive, Death, and MORE

Has anyone bought or listened to the re-release of Death's The Sound of Perseverance?
Old 02-22-11, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Honestly, that record sounded so good before I can't imagine what a remaster would do. I'm not terribly interested in demos, either. Too bad Chuck didn't leave any unreleased Death songs they could have included, I'd prob buy it.

I did check out the Control Denied remaster, though. Sounds great; the demos with Chuck singing were bittersweet. I wish he had the chance to sing those songs proper on record. I prefer his vocals.
Old 02-23-11, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Has anyone bought or listened to the re-release of Death's The Sound of Perseverance?
I got the 3 disk version. The demos are pretty worth it....though I wanted to hear another version of To Forgive Is To Suffer but there isn't one. The production on the demos is quite good as Chuck really knew what he was doing by then.

I believe the facebook page had all the songs available to listen to....but it may have been taken down since the release

http://www.facebook.com/DeathOfficial

Anyway, if you're a big fan of the album, the demos are pretty interesting....plus there's versions that say "no bass" but there's also no vocals which makes some of those songs extra cool.
Old 02-24-11, 05:04 PM

Finally got around to purchasing Ihsahn's After last week and after a week of listening to it, it truly is an amazing album. Totally hooked on it right now.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QpluTn_bPXI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-26-11, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Honestly, I have to disagree with the other posters. I think it's not worth it. I can't really tell the diffference between the mastering of the original and the remastering of the re-release.

It's still a very dry, clean production with a hell of a lot of separation. Maybe the bass is slightly more pronounced on the new version.

As for the bonus tracks, do you really need to hear demo versions of the songs on the original album? Do you really need seven different versions of A Moment of Clarity? Do you really need to hear an early version of Spirit Crusher with no bass?

Maybe if you are a completist. To me, the demos and raw tracks were not meant for public scrutiny. Chuck would never have released them like that
Old 02-26-11, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The only Death remaster I'm looking forward to is Human. I've always felt the original mix was too low. Not that I need this new one to be clipping, but I'd like the levels brought up a bit on everything.
Old 02-27-11, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by PerryD
This is my favorite album of 2010, quite possibly the best album put out by Overkill, and I am a big fan of their early stuff:

After seeing the video, I bought the CD on yourmusic.com for $5.99 and it was my primo purchase for the year so far. This CD is incredible. It takes hold of you and never lets go. I loved it the first time I heard it, and it gets better with each listen. For me, it is the disc they should have put out after the Years of Decay. It has the classic sound but doesn't sound dated. I also picked up Megadeth's Endgame for the same price and thought that cd was terrific too. However, Overkill's Ironbound is slightly more interesting than Endgame, but I love Broderick's impact on the sound of the band.
Old 03-02-11, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by terrible chong
Honestly, I have to disagree with the other posters. I think it's not worth it. I can't really tell the diffference between the mastering of the original and the remastering of the re-release.

It's still a very dry, clean production with a hell of a lot of separation. Maybe the bass is slightly more pronounced on the new version.

As for the bonus tracks, do you really need to hear demo versions of the songs on the original album? Do you really need seven different versions of A Moment of Clarity? Do you really need to hear an early version of Spirit Crusher with no bass?

Maybe if you are a completist. To me, the demos and raw tracks were not meant for public scrutiny. Chuck would never have released them like that
The re-master wasn't really needed since it was pretty good to begin with and also since it couldn't be offically authorized by Chuck....

Anyway, the demos are more than just "no bass." The songs were still being worked on and the changes made from those to the album version is what I was interested in....

I agree that it's not really worth picking up but, as a drummer, I was especially curious to hear if Richard Christy played the demos differently and how he came up with certain fills and so on. I'd really like to hear demos from Symbolic....but mostly for the drums too.
Old 03-05-11, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There were a few demos included on the "Symbolic" remaster. I've got it and while it's cool to have those demos, the remaster sounds identical to the previous release.
Old 03-07-11, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
There were a few demos included on the "Symbolic" remaster. I've got it and while it's cool to have those demos, the remaster sounds identical to the previous release.
I totally forgot they re-released that. Looking at the description, the demos say "drum programming" by Gene Hoglan....so did he just drum machine it up or is it actual drums? If it's a machine, then it's not worth it for me.

Also, I'm not surprised the remaster sounds identical to the original release. I recently got the orig. on vinyl (the Roadrunner release...not the re-issue) for pretty cheap...and probably sounds better than the CD does.
Old 03-07-11, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
I totally forgot they re-released that. Looking at the description, the demos say "drum programming" by Gene Hoglan....so did he just drum machine it up or is it actual drums? If it's a machine, then it's not worth it for me.
It is drum programming but it is interesting to hear how some of the songs evolved. Steve DiGiorgio's bass work in the demos is reminiscent of ITP.
Old 03-21-11, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

A new Septicflesh is coming out next month, for those of you into symphonic death metal
Old 03-21-11, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z29basl7Lcs

The new Protest The Hero album is growing on me quite a bit. I was not a big fan of their last album, but really liked the previous one, Kezia. I had a chance to hang out and play a few shows between 2005-06 with these guys, and even at 18-19 years old, they were pretty amazing.
Old 03-21-11, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry, I have no clue how to make that link appear as a video right on the page...
Old 03-22-11, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Metallica inspired limited edition (250 pieces), signed & numbered print. Created by the singer for Baroness. IMO an awesome tribute to one of the greatest metal albums of all time. $50
Available for purchase through Guitar World here:

http://secure.nps1.net/guitarworld/i...roducts_id=203

Get one before there gone!

Old 03-23-11, 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by freshticles
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z29basl7Lcs

The new Protest The Hero album is growing on me quite a bit. I was not a big fan of their last album, but really liked the previous one, Kezia. I had a chance to hang out and play a few shows between 2005-06 with these guys, and even at 18-19 years old, they were pretty amazing.

I was looking to get this today, and, as usual, will probably have to resort to buying it online. There isn't a cd store within 50 miles of me that isn't a joke.
Old 03-28-11, 09:24 PM

For the Agalloch fans here, NPR of all people are streaming, in full, their live NYC performance from the 22nd of this month.

http://www.npr.org/2011/03/28/134822...och-in-concert

It's a pretty good recording, and the setlist is I think near-identical to when I saw them in San Francisco earlier this year (which was an awesome show).

They also have the set for supporting act Worm Ouroboros of the same night.

http://www.npr.org/2011/03/28/134822...ros-in-concert
Old 03-29-11, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I downloaded the MP3 they made available for the show. Great idea, but I wish they'd broken it up instead of posting one long, almost 2-hour track.
Old 03-29-11, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

I downloaded the MP3 they made available for the show. Great idea, but I wish they'd broken it up instead of posting one long, almost 2-hour track.
There are plenty of free mp3 splitters out there, you should have no problem cutting out the individual songs.
Old 03-29-11, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by joeblow69
There are plenty of free mp3 splitters out there, you should have no problem cutting out the individual songs.
I didn't know that. I'll do a search later to find one.
Old 03-29-11, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't know that. I'll do a search later to find one.
audacity will do it
Old 03-29-11, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
audacity will do it
Last I knew, audacity converted to .wav, and then back to .mp3. Use MP3DirectCut.
Old 03-29-11, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Hey I was wondering about a program like that, mainly because of the stupid metal bands who like to have 20 minutes of silence after a song, and it adds too much space to my ipod. One of which is Agalloch Poem for Yeats.

Anyone here like Green Carnation - Light of Day Day of Darkness? Its one of the greatest things ever and a program like this will make it the best if I can cut out that horrible female singer in the middle
Old 05-07-11, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

I caught Danzig and Devildriver concert last night; good show.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 05-07-11 at 01:13 PM.
Old 05-07-11, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Did you shoot that? I'd be impressed since Danzig is notorious for making sure anyone caught taking pics/video is tossed out.

How was the show? I like his current set list, although I'm tired of Wotan's Procession/Skin Carver being his constant openers. I wish he was bringing it to LA, but the closest it comes is Ventura.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.