DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Favorite obscure/catalog Stones songs? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/538332-favorite-obscure-catalog-stones-songs.html)

wendersfan 08-24-08 09:55 PM

"Ventilator Blues"
"Factory Girl"
"Sweet Virginia"
"Monkey Man"

Hollowgen 08-24-08 10:48 PM

"Salt of the Earth" is hands down my favorite non-single of the Stones'.

GreenVulture 08-25-08 10:04 AM

Can't You Hear Me Knocking
Child of the Moon
Connection
Heaven
She Said Yeah
Surprise, Surprise
Sweet Virginia
You Got the Silver

Coincidentally, "Can't You Hear Me Knocking," "Sweet Virginia" and "You Got the Silver" are my three all-time favorite Stones songs.

tcoursen 08-25-08 01:05 PM

Does Can't You Hear Me Knocking count? They play that on the radio alot. It is Guitar Hero II. I would have listed that, but didn't think it was obscure enough.

Flashback 08-25-08 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by tcoursen (Post 8894939)
Does Can't You Hear Me Knocking count? They play that on the radio alot. It is Guitar Hero II. I would have listed that, but didn't think it was obscure enough.

I don't understand either as that was a song that was played on the radio a lot. Also Monkey Man and Sway ... I have heard this in countless bars on the jukebox and the radio as well.

I was thinking more like (more of a fun song that I like) Dear Doctor.

NoirFan 08-25-08 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by wendersfan (Post 8894059)
"Monkey Man"

Great nonsensical, yet reassuringly sleazy lyrics from Mick:

I'm a fleabit peanut monkey
All my friends are junkies
That's not really true

I'm a cold Italian pizza
I could use a lemon squeezer
What you do?

But I've been bit and I've been tossed around
By every she-rat in this town
Have you, babe?

Well, I am just a monkey man
I'm glad you are a monkey woman too

I was bitten by a boar
I was gouged and I was gored
But I pulled on through

Yes, I'm a sack of broken eggs
I always have an unmade bed
Don't you?

Well, I hope we're not too messianic
Or a trifle too satanic
We love to play the blues

GreenVulture 08-25-08 05:53 PM

I don't listen to the radio, so if it hasn't appeared as a single/been put on a compilation, then it falls under the "obscure/catalog" category.

TheKing 08-26-08 05:18 AM

I think GoodFellas pushed Monkey Man into the mainstream.

Citadel and Let It Bleed were both mentioned, they're right at the top of my list. Also like their cover version of Love In Vain. The Worst from Voodoo Lounge is a personal fave.

n.phelge 08-26-08 10:20 AM

I was surprised to find that YahooMusic has the full set of lyrics to "We Want the Stones": link

dick_grayson 08-26-08 10:25 AM

Before They Make Me Run
Dead Flowers

are two of my favs. I guess I'm more of a Keith Richards fan.

macnorton 08-26-08 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by TheKing (Post 8896305)
I think GoodFellas pushed Monkey Man into the mainstream.

Citadel and Let It Bleed were both mentioned, they're right at the top of my list. Also like their cover version of Love In Vain. The Worst from Voodoo Lounge is a personal fave.

I suppose that depends on what the definition of "obscure" is to the OP. Monkey Man is one of those deep album tracks on a great album that most radio listeners have never heard. Ironically, Let It Bleed (song) could be called mainstream since it was in a beer commercial last year. Again I suppose it depends on your definition.

That being said, Monkey Man, Let It Bleed, You Got The Silver, 2000 Man (done extremely well by Kiss), Dear Doctor, The Spider and The Fly (a favorite of a co-worker of mine) make my list. Lastly, Love in Vain is the best version of Robert Johnson song not done by Robert Johnson. I can't even begin to explain how fantastic that version of the song is, and it ranks #2 on my list of favorite Stones songs (#1 being Sympathy for the Devil).

sauce07 08-26-08 01:08 PM

Little T&A
Waiting for a Friend
Moonlight Mile

ninhomes 08-26-08 03:32 PM

You got the silver, most def

Memo from Turner still packs a whollop, too. Ditto "Out of Time," the version with strings from "Metamorphosis"

macnorton 08-26-08 03:50 PM

Although technically this does not meet the definition this is a pretty obscure find and a damn good listen:

The Andrew Oldham Orchestra - The Rolling Stone Songbook
http://www.amazon.com/Rolling-Stones.../dp/B0001RVTXE

That album is where The Verve got the sample for "Bittersweet Symphony".

notkevinbacon 08-26-08 03:58 PM

Also like their cover version of Love In Vain.

I'm not a big Stones fan, in fact, I kinda loathe a lot of their stuff. But I love this cover. A lot.

NoirFan 08-26-08 05:07 PM

Also like their cover version of Love In Vain.

The live version on Get Your Ya-Yas Out is far better than the somewhat stiff studio take.

Hollowgen 08-26-08 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by sauce07 (Post 8897093)
Little T&A
Waiting for a Friend
Moonlight Mile

ahh, those are all in a tie for my 2nd favorite. excellent choices :up: