Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Slipknot: All Hope Is Gone - 8/26

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 08-20-08, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So... I guess this is where we can continue to discuss the new album.

I don't quite know why macnorton was suspended, but talking about having heard an album early and posting links where to get it are 2 different things. I have heard this album. It's much better than Vol. 3 and incredibly brutal. I've been a fan of Slipknot since their debut release and have purchased all of their cds to date. I plan on purchasing this one as well. Downloading and album leaks are a fact of life at this point. Even the artists accept it, much as they don't like it. I agree that posting links, and fielding pm requests to get it, are not cool. However, this is a thread to discuss the album in question. That's like telling someone who saw a film early (whether it be by bootleg or press screening) that they aren't allowed to voice their opinion because the release date hasn't come yet. Sorry for the thread rant/takeover, just trying to make a point.
Old 08-20-08, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts
I heard the new single on the radio the other day (Psychosocial maybe?). I definitely recognized that it was them.
Old 08-20-08, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ Yea, that's them. That song is much stronger as a lead single than "Duality" from the last album.
Old 08-20-08, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I don't quite know why macnorton was suspended, but talking about having heard an album early and posting links where to get it are 2 different things. I have heard this album. .

Yeah...The admins say that it is clear..but when I read the FAQ, What macnorton I don't think was against the rules?
Old 08-21-08, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 421 Likes on 290 Posts
It wasn't so much a leak as idiotic distribution. It was released yesterday in Japan. Did the record company not think it would be posted immediately? It should have been released in the US on the same day. Love what I've heard so far and will be picking up the special edition next week.
Old 08-21-08, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
From what I heard so far this album kicks ass! I'll be picking this up next week as well.
Old 08-21-08, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not a Slipknot fan by any means, but this album (from what I've heard so far) KICKS!

Better than Slayer's last album. And that's say a lot.
Old 08-25-08, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts
Being a huge fan from the beginning i was rather dissapointed by Vol 3. It just didnt feel like Slipknot, it felt like Stone Sour. This one doesnt feel like a old Slipknot, but it definantly feels like Slipknot. Cory's songs have always had alot to do with his life, and its easy to see where he was at in the self titled and Iowa. However Vol 3 just felt like he didnt have anything to say. He now has some inspiration that actually shows in this release. Gehenna is by and far my favorite and its very diffrent sound for them, especially with the way he sings. Its nice to have sid back on the tables as he really didnt have that much in vol 3. Hope they come near jacksonville once they finish the current tour so i can check them out.
Old 08-26-08, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My apologies to everyone for getting the first thread locked. That was not my intention and I should have prefaced my comment.

But it is release day, I have my own copy and it is pretty awesome. I personally enjoyed Volume 3 more than any other Slipknot album. However, comparing the two (the new one and Volume 3) is pointless since they two are drastically different. Each should be able to stand on it's own merits. This is a giant step for the band and I hope they can make another album.
Old 08-26-08, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Best thing they've done since the s/t album imo.
Old 08-26-08, 01:37 PM

Just a heads up if you are going to get the cd/dvd set at Best Buy. The ad has it listed for 16.99 but it is listed as 13.99 online. I'm not sure how it is marked in the store but I paid online and did an instore pickup for it just in case.
Old 08-26-08, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts
Anyone happen to do the itunes preorder and get the itunes only song? Interested to hear if its any good
Old 08-26-08, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Doctor X
Just a heads up if you are going to get the cd/dvd set at Best Buy. The ad has it listed for 16.99 but it is listed as 13.99 online. I'm not sure how it is marked in the store but I paid online and did an instore pickup for it just in case.
Or they'll price match it from their own website.
Old 08-26-08, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
In case anyone wants to listen to the album before buying:

http://spinner.aol.com/artists/new-r...?defaultTab=11

This album is miles ahead of the last one, which I didn't like at all.
Old 08-26-08, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Thanks for the link! I'm not a Slipknot fan by any means but after catching them live earlier this month at the Rockstar Energy Festival, I might just become one.
Old 08-27-08, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've listened to this album quiet a few times, and I think it's probably the best one they've put out. Love the riff that comes in about half way through Vendetta (it reminds my of LOA).
Old 08-27-08, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I know each album stands on it's own. But I feel this is Slipknot's most wish washy album. For every good song ("Gematria", "Sulfur", "Psychosocial" and "Gehenna") this Cd has it has too many Stone Sour songs ("Snuff", Dead Memories", ect). I hate comparing knot to SS, but I think Coey hasn't separated this too enough. I like "Dead Memories" as a song but not a Slipknot song.

Everyone is saying this is eavy. I feel as it's metal but not heavy (that's resered for my boys in All Shall Perish's new album).

I will continue to spin it, so maybe it'll grow on me. But Im a little disappointed.

Gade: ** 1/2 out of *****
Old 08-28-08, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by Zodiac_Speaking
I know each album stands on it's own. But I feel this is Slipknot's most wish washy album. For every good song ("Gematria", "Sulfur", "Psychosocial" and "Gehenna") this Cd has it has too many Stone Sour songs ("Snuff", Dead Memories", ect). I hate comparing knot to SS, but I think Coey hasn't separated this too enough. I like "Dead Memories" as a song but not a Slipknot song.

Everyone is saying this is eavy. I feel as it's metal but not heavy (that's resered for my boys in All Shall Perish's new album).

I will continue to spin it, so maybe it'll grow on me. But Im a little disappointed.

Gade: ** 1/2 out of *****
I totally agree.. I was getting that stone sour vibe when i listened to it today.. I would say this cd lacks balls.

the bonus dvd is not worth the extra seven bucks.. its 35 minutes of the making of the cd.. but theres really no insite on any of the tracks, they really don't talk.
Old 08-28-08, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sergtv
the bonus dvd is not worth the extra seven bucks.. its 35 minutes of the making of the cd.. but theres really no insite on any of the tracks, they really don't talk.
I paid $12 for the deluxe edition with the dvd.

Love the record after a few days with a lot of listening
Old 09-03-08, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yay to real music!@!!
Hard rock enigma SLIPKNOT have once again made history. The band's fourth album, "All Hope Is Gone", has claimed the coveted #1 debut slot on Billboard's Top 200 chart, after an extraordinary SoundScan recount. The album was initially announced today as a #2 debut, a mere 13 units behind THE GAME's #1 debut, marking the closest margin in SoundScan history. The chart positions resulted from a reported 238,272 copies of "All Hope Is Gone" its first week in stores, while THE GAME's "LAX" reported 238,285. With such an unprecedented margin, Roadrunner Records and WEA requested an historic recount. SoundScan obliged and chart positions have been reversed, with SLIPKNOT claiming #1 and a new margin of 1134 albums. Final recount numbers are 239,516 for "All Hope Is Gone" and 238,382 for "LAX" sold during first week of release. This marks a landmark achievement for SLIPKNOT and Roadrunner.

SLIPKNOT has seen similar outstanding first week sales worldwide, with #1 debuts in Australia, Austria, Canada, Finland, New Zealand, Sweden and Switzerland, #2 in Belgium, France, Germany, Japan and the United Kingdom, and a #3 debut in Norway.

In addition, SLIPKNOT has been nominated for their first MTV Video Music Award in the "Best Rock Video" category for the album's first single, the melodically metallic "Psychosocial". Premiered on FNMTV in July and then later added to regular rotation at MTV and MTV2, the video saw over 80 spins on the channels and has an excellent chance at taking home an award on September 7.
Old 09-03-08, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Goddamn. I can't believe they lost by 13 copies, contested it, and won by only 1100+! That's incredible. Glad to see them triumph over another crappy rap album.
Old 09-03-08, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Goddamn. I can't believe they lost by 13 copies, contested it, and won by only 1100+! That's incredible. Glad to see them triumph over another crappy rap album.
agreed. Seems like this is the year for metal getting in the top 10, Avenged Sevenfold, Bullet For My Vallentine, Disturbed and now this. in 2 weeks, i am almost sure Metallica.
Old 09-03-08, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Zodiac_Speaking

+1 for you. All Shall Perish's "Price of Existence" is one of the most melodically intricate and brutal albums I've listened it. Its so heavy yet so clean. That album has been going in my ears for two weeks now. Awesome metal album.
Old 09-03-08, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by StephenX
+1 for you. All Shall Perish's "Price of Existence" is one of the most melodically intricate and brutal albums I've listened it. Its so heavy yet so clean. That album has been going in my ears for two weeks now. Awesome metal album.
their new album is even better. Hell as of now i have 'awaken the dreamers' as my album of the year pick
full album is streaming Here on their myspace parge.
Old 09-03-08, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
their new album is even better. Hell as of now i have 'awaken the dreamers' as my album of the year pick
full album is streaming Here on their myspace parge.
Awaken the Dreamers is AWESOME!! Thanks for the link. I will definitely picking this up on the 16th. I usually don't REALLY dig into death metal (if you call this death metal) but they are so good. I don't wanna run off topic in this thread, so, if you all would care to join me, I've created a metal thread on the front page.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.