Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Artists that least disappoint their fanbases

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Artists that least disappoint their fanbases

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-08, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm a big Pink Floyd fan. I can't see how they could be mentioned in this thread.

I happen to like the post-Waters stuff, but I realize lots of people don't. So that is a disapointment to a lot of people.

Also, because Waters and Gilmour can't even get along to handle Pink Floyd business fans miss out on archive type stuff. Look at some of the archive stuff the Beattles put out, the Zeppelin DVD. There has to be some good archive stuff that they have in a vault somewhere. I have some really good boots of some Floyd shows, but the quality on most Floyd boots is not quite as good as what you can find for bands like Zeppelin and the Dead. A nice official release of a Dark Side of The Moon show with original members would be very nice. Most of the other bands from that era have BBC releases, but no Floyd BBC release.
Old 08-08-08, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
I'd agree with the people who have said Weird Al. I've been listening to him since I was a kid back in the early 80s and he's yet to come out with anything that could really be considered a disappointment.
Old 08-08-08, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Originally Posted by Rypro 525
the assholes on blabbermouth tend to think otherwise (on Diablis a Musica, they expirimented with downtuned guitars, giving them a some what more nu metal sound) and the haters won't let them forget it. That and the haters have also complained that they haven't made an album worth listening to since Seasons of the Abyss, which is bull imo. God Hates Us All is a retun to form.
Then there are the Blabber posters who think Slayer is the be all end all in metal. I have seen Slayer four times, same set list with at least one new song in there. And it starts to run together after a while. I like groove based Slayer (which would be prior to Undisputed Attitude and stuff after that is boring), which would be the earlier stuff. Mandatory Suicide would be an example of what I like.
Old 08-08-08, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by wendersfan
See, I don't think Pablo Honey and The Bends are that different.
Yikes, I really couldn't disagree more. I've been a fan for a long time (I just got back this week from seeing them live in Indy), and Pablo Honey and The Bends are worlds apart.
Old 08-08-08, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by wendersfan
My point is that it evolved, and the evolution has always seemed natural, not an attempt to either gain fans or to alienate them. They just follow their muse.
I've gotta disagree on this one - at least twice [between "Pablo Honey" and "The Bends", and then even moreso between "OK Computer" and "Kid A"] they purposely set out to make an album that was nothing like it's predecessor. If I recall, there were tons and tons of self-imposed guidelines when creating the music that would become "Kid A" and "Amnesiac" - no guitars at times, everyone has to play different instruments, etc. If that's not forced evolution, I don't know what is.

And I think you will find yourselves a great number of former massive Radiohead fans who just don't care anymore...I know I'm one of them.

Similar for Smashing Pumpkins.

The first band I thought of when I read the subject was Super Furry Animals - not everyone loves every album equally [I myself am not huge on "Phantom Power"] but the fanbase at least seems to be the most forgiving and understanding of a given direction of any I've been a part of.
Old 08-08-08, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

not a Radiohead fan to be honest, but.... can you fault them for moving with the times? If it wasn't for The Bends, they wouldn't be where they are now. It's been well over a decade since the age of alternative and what bands from the era are still together are mainly now playing the nostalgia circuit (seen a Collective Soul and Gin Blossoms double bill lately anyone?), but by doing a complete 180 after "Creep" ended up working in their favor in the long run and they're now up there with U2 and (don't shoot) Coldplay are modern day rock royalty. If they milked the Creep thing a little longer, they would've gone the way of Tripping Daisy and The Smoking Popes.
Old 08-09-08, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,198 Likes on 4,225 Posts
I mentioned in the "Jump The Musical Shark" thread that Neil Young NEVER disappointed his fan base.

Pros: Over 35 years of continuous musical output. Still producing relevant music. Tours continuously and not charging outrageous sums for tickets; often tours with Crazy Horse, his back up band of over thirty years. Not opposed to occasional reunion show with old band Crosby Stills Nash & Young. Mentored Pearl Jam at a time when they were the biggest band in the world. Puts together best annual charity concert in America to support small special education school. NEVER, EVER sold music for commercial and never would. Wrote the definitive song for Bush 41 administration in "Rockin' The Free World", tried to do the same for W with "Let's Impeach the President". Wouldn't let a life-threatening brain aneurysm stop him from performing unlike certain other HOF rock stars (Bill Berry of REM).

Con : Later work isn't all of that same quality; some albums like Living With War feel rushed. Stubbornly refuses to put out career-spanning box set for some reason. Seems grumpy and reticent to talk in interviews. -- that's all I've got.
Old 08-09-08, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Decker
Con : Later work isn't all of that same quality; some albums like Living With War feel rushed. Stubbornly refuses to put out career-spanning box set for some reason. Seems grumpy and reticent to talk in interviews. -- that's all I've got.
His mid-eighties work did disappoint and confuse his fanbase - releasing rockabilly, country, and techno (!) albums in succession certainly left a few scratching their heads. I do think Trans is a good, if somewhat oddball album, it's just not the album anyone expected Neil Young to make.
Old 08-09-08, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
I would say Iron Maiden.

With the exception of the Blaze Bayley years they have been fairly consistent. They always sound like Iron Maiden, and generally their albums range from very good to great.

Live, no one can touch them. They always put on a great show and play extremely well. They've actually gotten better with age, which is the opposite of what you usually see.
Old 08-09-08, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
MUSE

anyone who takes the time to dig deep into their catalog (like I am slowly doing..) will discover a band who's chart topping singles don't hold a prayer to their incredible b-sides and album cuts...this band is simply astonishing in every respect and IMO the greatest British band in decades...
Old 08-09-08, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by B5Erik
I would say Iron Maiden.

With the exception of the Blaze Bayley years they have been fairly consistent. They always sound like Iron Maiden, and generally their albums range from very good to great.

Live, no one can touch them. They always put on a great show and play extremely well. They've actually gotten better with age, which is the opposite of what you usually see.
I'll agree. When i saw them in may, i was amazed that Bruce sounded as great as he did, hitting all the high notes with ease. Knowing how alot of the older bands can't hit the high notes anymore.
Old 08-09-08, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
I have been disappointed by Iron Maiden quite a bit. Fear Of The Dark was almost unlistenable, Dance of Death was below average, and A Matter Of Life And Death was crap. That's 3 of the last 4 Dickenson albums. Also, their set lists are mostly the same old crap. They never do deep cuts (until the recent tour, when they did one deep cut).
Old 08-09-08, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
Originally Posted by cdollaz
I have been disappointed by Iron Maiden quite a bit. Fear Of The Dark was almost unlistenable, Dance of Death was below average, and A Matter Of Life And Death was crap. That's 3 of the last 4 Dickenson albums. Also, their set lists are mostly the same old crap. They never do deep cuts (until the recent tour, when they did one deep cut).
Fear of the Dark almost unlistenable? It's a below average album for them, no question, but it also has several very strong songs.

Dance of Death holds up VERY well. I actually like it a lot more now than when it came out, and A Matter of Life and Death was generally considered to be one of their best albums (by a majority of fans - check out the fan reviews).

Every band has points you can nit pick. Hell, even the very best bands put out albums that some of their fans don't like, but Maiden has been more consistent than most.

And why don't they play more obscure tracks live? Because most of their fans would walk out disappointed by the classics that they didn't play in order to make room in the set list for those, "Deep cuts."

And, love it or not, they did more than go with, "Deep cuts," on the AMOLAD tour.... (As far as the new album went.)
Old 08-09-08, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by brokenhanger
I

Similar for Smashing Pumpkins.

Bingo, Every pumpkins album was different from the one before. I think Adore did turn off many SP fans, but I also think Adore was brilliant on its own anyways, I think its my 3rd favorite SP album.
Old 08-09-08, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by B5Erik

And why don't they play more obscure tracks live? Because most of their fans would walk out disappointed by the classics that they didn't play in order to make room in the set list for those, "Deep cuts."
Wrong. The hardcore fans, which these days make up probably 80-90% of a band like Iron Maiden's live audience, are hardcore fans because they like the entire catalog, not just the singles and popular songs. They are the ones who get tired of hearing the same old stuff and would like deeper cuts played at the shows.
Old 08-09-08, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm gonna agree with Radiohead, and also add NIN.

Led Zeppelin may not have disapointed fans, but jimmy page sure as hell did.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LEXYJzbGw8s&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LEXYJzbGw8s&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 08-09-08, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
Motorhead
This is probably the one I would have gone with.
Old 08-09-08, 06:12 PM

Bruce Springsteen
Old 08-09-08, 06:25 PM
Banned

Tori Amos
Aimee Mann
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Old 08-09-08, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chris_sc77
Red Hot Chili Peppers
I'm sure there are a few folks who prefer their jokey 80s frat-funk to the more soulful, earnest, and melodic direction they've taken in the last few years, and vice versa.
Old 08-09-08, 06:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NoirFan
I'm sure there are a few folks who prefer their jokey 80s frat-funk to the more soulful, earnest, and melodic direction they've taken in the last few years, and vice versa.
Hopefully those people (like the band) will eventually grow up and mature as well and enjoy their work these past 2 decades for what it is. The only realy disappointment from them in that time is One Hot Minute and that had its few pros as well. They continually put on great shows and put out great releases.
Old 08-09-08, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by lukewarmwater
NIN.
Rarely has an album disappointed many NIN fans more than "With Teeth".
Old 08-09-08, 08:24 PM
Suspended

Beck
The Arcade Fire
Kanye West
Radiohead
Old 08-09-08, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs
Beck
The Arcade Fire
Kanye West
Radiohead
kanye west? seriously?

and I liked arcade fire a lot until they started to destroy thier instruments at the end of snl
Old 08-10-08, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Tori Amos - Even when she doesn't really deliver the goods, her fans are diehard enough to buy it up and show up in droves at the concerts.

NiN - Yeah, some found With Teeth a disappointment, but it didn't stop the fans from still adoring every single thing Trent touches.

Tool - Have you ever heard Tool fans complain about a Tool album? No.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.