Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone think that music just keeps getting worse as time goes on?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-08, 03:21 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sigh
Old 07-21-08, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't listen to much that has been released in the past 25-30 years, so... maybe?
Old 07-21-08, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 172 Posts
"Music has sucked since April 5, 2002"

--gary s
Old 07-21-08, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No. You're just getting old.
Old 07-21-08, 04:11 PM

I don't think it's that I'm getting old. I try to listen to these NEW classics from Jay-Z and Kanye West, and I just don't see why the critics gush over them.
Old 07-21-08, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
No. You're just getting old.
What he said.
Old 07-21-08, 04:19 PM

Hard to say, there's the whole getting old thing, plus with the internets and a billion indie labels out there it's just that much easier to get your music out to the masses. While that's primarily a good thing, more readily available music is inevitably going to mean a lot more crap too just based on the fact that there was probably a reason that the majority of people couldn't reach an audience in the time before decentralized media dissemination.
Old 07-21-08, 04:36 PM
Suspended

no your just getting old?
well considering im younger than 20
NO
i just think music was better in the 90's,80's and early 2000's.
now all this emo crap has destroyed everything
also "hardcore" music
everyone search up the band bring me the horizon
its bad,really bad.
also
to guesswho
why april the 5th 2002?
Old 07-21-08, 04:39 PM
Suspended

to guesswho
its obvious you think im obsessed with the band alice and chains
to anyone who doesnt know,april 5th was the date of layne staley(lead singer of AIC) death.
your pathetic

Last edited by gary s; 07-22-08 at 09:07 PM.
Old 07-21-08, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Mix in some punctuation.
Old 07-21-08, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
I don't think the music in general is getting worse. The music that actually sells is getting worse. There are artists/groups out there, already-famous or otherwise, who are attempting to "keep the flame alive", but tastes in music are essentially getting lazy, put quite simply. A long time ago, the public who appreciated the music wanted to play it themselves, and eventually express themselves musically in their own style, following in the steps of those who influenced them. Now, if anyone wants to emulate their idols, all they have to do is look sexy and be able to dance for the cameras. They don't even have to know how to sing well...we have computers that can fix that! Singers have never impressed me anyhow. I've always said pick up an instrument or get the fuck off the stage.
Old 07-21-08, 06:17 PM
Premium Member

Received 695 Likes on 465 Posts
Originally Posted by gary s
sigh
No, there is a lot of great music out there, probably more than ever.
Old 07-21-08, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by The Cow
No, there is a lot of great music out there, probably more than ever.
No, there isn't. There's just more music out there than ever before. The music industry is much more segmented and audience specific than it ever has been too. The days of one or two big bands or artists having universal appeal are pretty much over. If you like guys in rubber masks screaming on top of warmed-over Pantera riffs, there's not just one band doing it, there's a whole subgenre for you to explore. And if you don't like that, there's something else for you, with it's own set of websites, magazines, fanboys and haters that most of us will never see, hear, or care about. But since nothing will reach the audience of a Led Zepplin or Who, it will appear on the surface that there is little "good" music left.
Old 07-21-08, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by gary s
to guesswho
its obvious you think im obossed your pathetic
I'm not GuessWho, but you seem obossed to me. Maybe you should find another job.

If music is getting worse, it's only in the smallest increments. There is plenty of excellent music being pumped out year in and year out.
Old 07-21-08, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
I agree that there's less good popular music now. I listen to the Classic Rock station and wonder who will fill that genre these days. I really think that the day of the GREAT album is over. Not that there aren't great albums still being made, but there aren't CLASSIC ALBUMS anymore. There aren't the genre-crossing, hit-churning masterpiece albums that will still be selling in catalog for decades to come.
Where are the Purple Rains, the Thrillers, the Led Zep IVs? Where is the next Born To Run? Nevermind? Hysteria? Back In Black? The Stranger? Rumors?
I just don't see anything this decade being universally revered the way those albums were. Maybe I'm wrong here, but I can't think of a true classic album since Odelay. Maybe O.K. Computer.

Last edited by Decker; 07-21-08 at 07:14 PM.
Old 07-21-08, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the birtish bands are getting bettar and bettar
Old 07-21-08, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

All I hear wherever I go, is boom boom music with heavy emphasis on the bass, combined with random handclaps, and off key trying-to-be-soulful "singing".

Makes me long for the days of Poison & Motley Crue.
Old 07-21-08, 07:30 PM

Man this thread is depressing I've been pretty much stuck in classic rock from the 70's and 80's yet i still seek out some of the latest dance/club european tracks, go figure. I do wish there was a fresh new Van Halen or AC/DC nowadays though.
Old 07-21-08, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

gary s seems incredibly angry about everything involving music. hey man, smoke a doobie.
Old 07-21-08, 07:46 PM

I think what we hear in mainstream shows less imagination and creativity - but is it worse? Well I would think so nut that's only an opinion. I think the main reasons we see less "Thriller' "Purple Rains' etc is:

1. Kids buy less music in CD format and download much of it, hence 'albums' are bought and listened to by older folks (in way lesser numbers as we now have other demands on our time) who have always listened to music in that way. Kids buy individual tracks and their longevity is not as guaranteeed.

2. Music is now a real business as opposed to a passion. Record company support is a thing of the past.

3. The internet and home recording. Any clown with a pair of tits or a 6-pack can get music out there. Much of it is crap!

4. Music is less about 'music' and more about image and attitude. Hence we as older listeners 'don't get it'. I definitely don't get a lot of new music theses days . I don't relate to boy bands, rap, hip hop etc. I'm way too old. Kids DO relate and good luck to 'em.

5. Everything about life is more instant amd more disposable - pop music included.

None of the above are new, but far more prevelant than ever bofore.

Last edited by redhenry; 07-21-08 at 10:46 PM.
Old 07-21-08, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think there is still good music being made, you just will see and hear very little of it on MTV and radio. I am not really a "pretentious indie rock snob" type person (even tho I do like the recent Portishead, Hot Chip and Goldfrapp albums), but there's still plenty of good rock, r&b and pop music being made, you just have to dig a little deeper than radio to find it because radio is all about payola now.

Plus, many of the vets from the 60's, 70's and 80's are still kicking ass.
Old 07-21-08, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
because radio is all about payola now

So is everything else ( sports for one example ) I don't pay much attention to new music nowadays. I have no need for it. Most of all the music that I like I already have on cd anyway.There are some decent acts out there somewhere. A few will pop up now and then. The cd's that I buy now are remastered copies of older bands. The old band cd's that are made better with better technology. I don't pay much attention to the acts of today.
Old 07-21-08, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by redhenry
Any clown with a pair of tits or a 6-pack can get mucis out there.
I don't know about you, but I try to keep my hands off other people's mucis.
Old 07-21-08, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
Originally Posted by nothingfails
Plus, many of the vets from the 60's, 70's and 80's are still kicking ass.
Live? Sure. But do you think The Rolling Stones have another Exile On Main Street or Let It Bleed? Will Paul McCartney write another "Yesterday"? Heck, I'll even say that Bruce Springsteen will never make another Born In The USA, U2 won't record another Joshua Tree and Prince won't make another Purple Rain.

The closest I can think of was Bob Dylan's Time Out Of Mind in 1998. Besides that, I'm hard-pressed to think of a great 70's or 80's artist who could be pointed to as making a significant, truly great new album in the past ten years that would rank right up with their very best work. I'll admit, U2 is always close, but beyond that, I think it's mostly nostalgia.
Old 07-21-08, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mosts mainstream radio shit, absofuckinlutly. To find decent music any more you have to go outside of top 40 radio and mtv.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.