Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone think that music just keeps getting worse as time goes on?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Anyone think that music just keeps getting worse as time goes on?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-08, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt Millheiser
Oh, and I *love* how people say to stop looking to MTV for good music... like MTV has had anything to do with music over the past decade or so...
they show about a half hour of videos around 5 in the morning if that counts. I know, because I've flipped past it when I've had insomnia before
Old 07-23-08, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
People who think music is getting worse remind me of an old man yelling at kids to get off his lawn.
rofl I know. It's generally a case of people who cling so tightly to the music of their youth and absolutely refuse to give anything more recent a chance because they think they look cooler if they just play the role of the Grinch and have this "I remember when good music was big". I admit that in many ways I do prefer music of the 70's, 80's and even 90's, but there are more than enough current artists out there to keep me from cashing it in and becoming an old man who refuses to listen to anything past 1991 like some people I know
Old 07-23-08, 05:40 PM
Banned

Well, as for me I started buying cd's in 1987 and followed the BILLBOARD charts upto the early 90's. I liked black R&B and white rock music. I noticed as a music lover I didn't like black R&B anymore , because black music was all rap coming out. And as for rock the pop metal and classic rock bands of the 70's & 80's weren't getting any airplay. And MTV where you can see and hear music during channel surfing wasn't showing videos anymore. ANd the black music I did like were samples from 70's music.
And the new rock bands didn't have any guitar gods like the 60's,70's and 80's.
So I a once music lover didn't leave music.
The talent in music left me in the 90's.
So much so I became one of those that got into country and Shania Twain.
Old 07-23-08, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts
I started buying LPs around 1970 and continued into the mid-nineties. Van Halen's "Balance" was just as cool to me as Aerosmith's "Toys in the Attic" in high school. I was in my late 30s and really getting into Tesla, Wildside and Tora Tora(what happened to them?). I still pick up releases from the "old guys" and like Velvet Revolver and Three Doors Down but just don't hear that much I feel like running out and buying. To satisfy my craving for new stuff to listen to I went retro and started spending money on 60s garage rock(this stuff is great!), 60's surf guitar and 1950's rock &roll/rockabilly stuff. Started buying stuff like Sun records collections and wanting to get into some blues stuff. Those Chess box sets are on my radar.
Old 07-23-08, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
People who think music is getting worse remind me of an old man yelling at kids to get off his lawn.
Well... GET OFF MY DAMNED LAWN YOU HOOLIGAN!!!

(Cue KISS, "Hooligan." Love Gun album, 1977 - when music was still good. )
Old 07-23-08, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
I think there is more good music than ever. Unfortunately, that's also a problem. With so much good, and bad, music, there probably won't be "classic" albums any more. Those old "classic" albums didn't have as much competition as there is today.

Music consumption has changed as well. When I was younger, I'd buy an album and listen to it over and over again for months. Now, I buy albums quite often, and don't listen to them over and over. At least not without being interspersed with other albums, so it can drag out over years.

Also, as I get older, I'm starting to dig deeper into genres. This means I'm finding music that a lot of people haven't listened to. While still being great music, the albums will never reach "classic" status. Hell, they probably won't even reach "gold" status.

All in all, people who don't think music is just as good now as it was 20-50 years ago just aren't looking. This is no different than the people who think movies were better 30 years ago than they are today. I imagine people will be saying the same thing 40 years from now.
Old 07-24-08, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by B5Erik
Well... GET OFF MY DAMNED LAWN YOU HOOLIGAN!!!

(Cue KISS, "Hooligan." Love Gun album, 1977 - when music was still good. )
Still my favorite KISS album. I even have the action figures from that particular album to prove it! What's sad is that I don't think any of my RL friends like (or love, as I do) KISS as I do. Boo.

K
Old 07-24-08, 03:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What's getting better or at least noteworthy?

Dance music - yes - see Justice

Metal music - some - see Mastodon, Meshuggah, Necrophagist

Rock music - no - since the 90's I think only Muse and Queens Of The Stone Age (yes both late 90's but still) have come to proove that there's still something to be made out of rock music.

Pop music - there's a reason it's called pop, it's popular at a specific moment in time, eventually fading away from trend to trend, so nothing's notable.

Rap music - some artists do deliver, Dizzee Rascal springs to mind.
Old 07-24-08, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Originally Posted by The Black
Rock music - no - since the 90's I think only Muse and Queens Of The Stone Age (yes both late 90's but still) have come to proove that there's still something to be made out of rock music.
mewithoutYou, The Faint, Cursive, Foo Fighters (some, but not all IMHO), Red Hot Chili Peppers (Stadium is a great record), The Mars Volta. There are plenty of very good rock bands out there.
Old 07-24-08, 09:22 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
What's getting better or at least noteworthy?

Dance music - yes - see Justice

Metal music - some - see Mastodon, Meshuggah, Necrophagist

Pop music - there's a reason it's called pop, it's popular at a specific moment in time, eventually fading away from trend to trend, so nothing's notable.

Rap music - some artists do deliver, Dizzee Rascal springs to mind.
that's an exception to the genre.
Old 07-24-08, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Originally Posted by mndtrp
All in all, people who don't think music is just as good now as it was 20-50 years ago just aren't looking. This is no different than the people who think movies were better 30 years ago than they are today. I imagine people will be saying the same thing 40 years from now.
It's funny you bring this up because I do not see this problem with movies as often. However when it comes to music it seems people cannot move past the music they heard in their teens and college years. They consider the music during that era the best, and newer music will never top it. However you rarely see people say all movies today are shit, and that the movies they saw in HS and college will never be surpassed.

I wonder if it's just harder to get into new music when you're older. Music seems to take some effort to enjoy when you aren't used to hearing the sound. You almost have to develop an appreciation, and even grow accustomed to new albums. How often on first listen did you only enjoy an album moderately, but as you continued to listen over and over it continued to move up spots on your all-time favorite list? And maybe that's the problem. As you get older you don't have the free time you did when you were younger to listen to an album repeatedly and really get into it.

Movies on the other hand are easier to get into at first watch. You may appreciate a movie more upon subsequent viewings, (or less as the newness wears off and you see flaws you missed upon first viewing) but you usually don't go from hating a movie at first to putting it in your top 10.
Old 07-24-08, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JOE29
Oh, and I *love* how people say to stop looking to MTV for good music... like MTV has had anything to do with music over the past decade or so...

Yeah. if you can get past those reality teen age date shows you maybe able to find a crappy music video
Subterranean on MTV2 every Saturday at 11 PM.
Old 07-24-08, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Dresden Dolls, Rilo Kiley, The Kills, The Decembrists, The Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Bat for Lashes...

And you're overlooking the whole alt-country movement -- Wilco, Kathleen Edwards, Jolie Holland, Cat Power, the Jayhawks, Po' Girl, Be Good Tanyas -- and the current wave of French pop -- Air, M83, Justice, Charlotte Gainsbourg, Keren Ann, Yelle.
Old 07-24-08, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mndtrp
I think there is more good music than ever. Unfortunately, that's also a problem. With so much good, and bad, music, there probably won't be "classic" albums any more. Those old "classic" albums didn't have as much competition as there is today.

Music consumption has changed as well. When I was younger, I'd buy an album and listen to it over and over again for months. Now, I buy albums quite often, and don't listen to them over and over. At least not without being interspersed with other albums, so it can drag out over years.

Also, as I get older, I'm starting to dig deeper into genres. This means I'm finding music that a lot of people haven't listened to. While still being great music, the albums will never reach "classic" status. Hell, they probably won't even reach "gold" status.

Wow! I agree with this 100% I do buy and consume too much music nowadays to the point where I don't even know the lyrics to a lot of my favorite albums just because I don't listen to them enough. I'm constantly looking and listening for new artists.
Old 07-24-08, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
It's funny you bring this up because I do not see this problem with movies as often. However when it comes to music it seems people cannot move past the music they heard in their teens and college years. They consider the music during that era the best, and newer music will never top it. However you rarely see people say all movies today are shit, and that the movies they saw in HS and college will never be surpassed.
I don't see it either. However, the movie forum has a thread similar to this pop up just about as often. It's generally after a burst of remakes are announced, citing a lack of motivation in the movie industry.
Old 07-24-08, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by slymer
Wow! I agree with this 100% I do buy and consume too much music nowadays to the point where I don't even know the lyrics to a lot of my favorite albums just because I don't listen to them enough. I'm constantly looking and listening for new artists.
I'm in the same boat.

So much good stuff, not enough time.

But all the music I do hear out & about in public (the gym, restaurants, etc...) is mostly pretty bad.
Old 07-24-08, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I actually have seen a lot of Star Wars/Indiana Jones type fans who actually are that way. They hate all current movies unless a new installment in those franchises come out, and live in a 1970's/1980's movie timewarp
Old 07-26-08, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by nothingfails
I actually have seen a lot of Star Wars/Indiana Jones type fans who actually are that way. They hate all current movies unless a new installment in those franchises come out, and live in a 1970's/1980's movie timewarp
lol too true, I sometimes live in a grumpy old man 80s timewarp myself, but still manage to mix in some new stuff. To me, there's too much of a correlation between not absorbing new forms and outputs of media/entertainment/art and really not moving forward much in life, so I consciously tried to avoid that. Not that I'm sucking things up like when I was 18, but my lifestyle is considerably different now too (probably for the better).

Lately been listening to the latest albums by Interpol, LCD Soundsystem, and M.I.A.; it's been covering my emotional gamut.
Old 07-26-08, 03:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
Headbangers Ball on MTV2 every Saturday at midnight.
fixed
Old 07-26-08, 04:10 AM
Banned

But SPIDER-MAN, IRON MAN, X-MEN and LORD OF THE RINGS series matches up with those movies. So they don't have a beef. Now as far as music goes there are no guitar gods period. And forget about all those R & B love songs from the 50's,60's,70's & 80's. It's all booty call music now with old music in the background as samples.
Old 07-26-08, 05:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wm lopez
. So they don't have a beef. Now as far as music goes there are no guitar gods period..
John Petrucci would like a word.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/t25AOSxZZkI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/t25AOSxZZkI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/duGDyU0yelU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/duGDyU0yelU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 07-26-08, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I admit that in many ways I do prefer music of the 70's, 80's and even 90's, but there are more than enough current artists out there to keep me from cashing it in and becoming an old man who refuses to listen to anything past 1991 like some people I know
I think I probably listen to a 50/50 mix of old and new. I was listening to the Fleet Foxes yesterday and wondering how anyone can bitch about new music.

One thing I will admit to in my older age is that I have a dividing line of Pre/Post-Nirvana as where my respect goes towards alternative acts. While I love plenty of alt-rock post 1991, I feel more admiration for bands before that time because many of them toiled in obscurity. Nirvana came along and opened the floodgates and made it easier for many. In the 80's I never dreamed I'd see Jr. High kids listening to what I was listening to in college.
Old 07-26-08, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
I think I probably listen to a 50/50 mix of old and new. I was listening to the Fleet Foxes yesterday and wondering how anyone can bitch about new music.

One thing I will admit to in my older age is that I have a dividing line of Pre/Post-Nirvana as where my respect goes towards alternative acts. While I love plenty of alt-rock post 1991, I feel more admiration for bands before that time because many of them toiled in obscurity. Nirvana came along and opened the floodgates and made it easier for many. In the 80's I never dreamed I'd see Jr. High kids listening to what I was listening to in college.
I wasn't really referring to anyone here. A perfect example is my friend James. He is a 36 year old child of the 80's. He's gay and loves his disco and 80's pop divas, but generally hates anything contemporary, even if it's musically up his alley. For instance, he abhors Rihanna and thinks she's the worst thing ever, but I just know that if Rihanna was popular in 1988 instead of 2008, he was adore her like he does Jody Watley and Lisa Lisa. I honestly don't really see a difference outside of generation.
Old 07-26-08, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
The state of music has gone to hell ever since the Galactic Cowboys broke up...
Old 08-22-08, 08:20 PM

I listen to new stuff only if it's new stuff by classic rockers such as Bruce Springsteen, The Eagles, etc. And I'm only 19. I've given the other new stuff a chance and it just lacks something. Passion, maybe? I don't know.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.