DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Best "Under the Radar" Steely Dan? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/535897-best-under-radar-steely-dan.html)

auto 07-19-08 03:08 PM

Best "Under the Radar" Steely Dan?

Looking to make a Steely Dan mix that includes none of the "hits". Looking for some of their better lesser known songs. Any suggestions? I have a half dozen in mind but I'd like to get some other opinions.

To help, here are the tracklistings from their two "hit compilations":

A Decade of Steely Dan

1. F.M.
2. Black Friday
3. Babylon Sisters
4. Deacon Blues
5. Bodhisattva
6. Hey Nineteen
7. Do It Again
8. Peg
9. Rikki Don't Lose That Number
10. Reeling In The Years
11. East St. Louis Toodle
12. Kid Charlemagne
13. My Old School
14. Bad Sneakers

The Definitive Steely Dan

1. Do It Again
2. Dirty Work
3. Reelin' In The Years
4. Bodhisattva
5. My Old School
6. Rikki Don't Lose That Number
7. Black Friday
8. Bad Sneakers
9. Kid Charlemagne
10. Deacon Blues
11. Peg
12. FM
13. Hey Nineteen
14. Babylon Sisters
15. Cousin Dupree
16. Things I Miss The Most

What are some your favorites?

Decker 07-19-08 04:12 PM

Title tracks to Aja and Pretzel Logic are a must.
So is Any Major Dude Will Tell You.
Oh, and of course, Josie. How is that on neither compilation?

And though they're not actualy SD songs, Donald Fagen's solo hits I.G.Y., New Frontier, and Century's End are awesome and would fit right in.

rw2516 07-19-08 04:47 PM

Can't Buy A Thrill- "Midnight Cruiser"
Countdown To Ectasy- "King Of The World", "Pearl Of The Quarter", "Show Biz Kids"
The Royal Scam- "Don't Take Me Alive", "The Royal Scam"

Midnight Cruiser and Don't Take Me Alive have gotten an awful lot of airplay over the past 30 years to not be included on hit compilations.

DaveWadding 07-19-08 05:27 PM

My favorite deep Steely Dan cut is Everything You Did off The Royal Scam

nothingfails 07-19-08 05:44 PM

Steely is a group I've always wanted to check out but never have. I love the sound of the songs I've heard and they sound like very talented musicians, what should I start with (and don't say GH albums), Aja?

Hokeyboy 07-19-08 06:04 PM

Any of the non-hits from Katy Lied is a great song, like "Rose Darling", "Doctor Wu", "Everyone's Gone to the Movies", or "Any World (That I'm Welcome To)".

Hokeyboy 07-19-08 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by nothingfails
Steely is a group I've always wanted to check out but never have. I love the sound of the songs I've heard and they sound like very talented musicians, what should I start with (and don't say GH albums), Aja?

Katy Lied -- I think it's not only their best album (Aja is overrated, still good though), it's one of the Top 10 Greatest Albums of the 1970s and a rock classic.

Nick Danger 07-19-08 07:06 PM

I'd start with Katy Lied if you like tight songs, or Aja if you like long instrumental breaks. (I started with Citizen Steely Dan, instead of individual albums, so they all sort of run together for me.)

It's not really a band. It's two songwriters who hired top studio musicians.

auto 07-20-08 05:53 PM

Just buy Citizen Steely Dan from yourmusic.com. It's a box of their first seven albums spread across 4 CDs with a handful of rarities for $27.96. Can't beat that price and it's consistently awesome.

Thanks for the suggestions. Anyone else care to chime in?

TomOpus 07-20-08 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Matt Millheiser
Any of the non-hits from Katy Lied is a great song, like "Rose Darling", "Doctor Wu", "Everyone's Gone to the Movies", or "Any World (That I'm Welcome To)".

I was gonna mention "Doctor Wu" as one of my favorite Steely Dan songs. I love the sax solo... especially the notes right before the verse kicks in.

Supermallet 07-20-08 08:50 PM

I would say take every track from the albums Countdown To Ecstacy, Pretzel Logic, Katy Lied, The Royal Scam, and Aja that aren't on those two greatest hits albums and you'll be set. ;)

No, seriously, Steely Dan is one of those bands where I love almost every song they did. But for my money, it doesn't get much better than "With A Gun," "Haitian Divorce," "Razor Boy," and "King of the World."

DaveWadding 07-20-08 11:22 PM

also, if you feel like cheating a little, go with the live version of Bodhisattva

Jack Straw 07-21-08 12:03 AM

Here's my $.02

"Your Gold Teeth" - Countdown To Ecstacy
"Daddy Don't Live in That NYC No More" - Katy Lied
"Parker's Band" - Pretzel Logic
"Night By Night" - Pretzel Logic
"Home At Last" - AJA
"Third World Man" - Gaucho

auto 07-21-08 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I would say take every track from the albums Countdown To Ecstacy, Pretzel Logic, Katy Lied, The Royal Scam, and Aja that aren't on those two greatest hits albums and you'll be set. ;)

This, my friend, is the problem. :D

Hiro11 07-21-08 08:21 AM

"Doctor Wu" has already been mentioned, so I'll take:

"Black Cow" off of Aja
"Barrytown" off of Pretzel Logic
"Razor Boy" off of Countdown to Ecstacy
Everyone always forgets about "Can't Buy a Thrill", but I love it. I'll take "Turn That Heartbeat Over Again"

Hixx 07-21-08 03:05 PM

Green Earrings and Glamour Profession in addition to Any Major Dude and Doctor Wu.

Oh yeah, The Fez too, any song with less than 20 words that is five minutes long is genius IMO.

Hokeyboy 07-21-08 03:14 PM

I love the way Don Fagen sings the word "money" in "Rose Darling"...

I would guess she's in Detroit / with lot's of muuuhhhhnnayyyyyyyeee in the bank / although I could be wrong...

auto 07-21-08 08:42 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. Putting my mix together and I'll post it here in a few days.

indianajdp 07-23-08 08:49 AM

Probably too late since you are starting the mix, but:

Definites already mentioned:
Black Cow
Home Again
Glamour Profession

Others that I would highly recommend:
Time out of Mind
I Got the News
(I believe Michael MacDonald sang some background vocals on this one)

auto 07-23-08 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by indianajdp
Probably too late since you are starting the mix, but:

Definites already mentioned:
Black Cow
Home Again
Glamour Profession

Others that I would highly recommend:
Time out of Mind
I Got the News
(I believe Michael MacDonald sang some background vocals on this one)

Thanks! I may cut Glamour Profession for length but Black Cow and Time Out of Mind are definitely on there. I'll give the other two a listen tonight.

Decker 08-10-08 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by auto
Thanks for the suggestions. Putting my mix together and I'll post it here in a few days.

You never did post your mix. What did you end up using?

auto 08-11-08 08:03 AM

Thanks for reminding me. I'll post the list tonight when I get home.

yojimbo44 08-11-08 08:38 AM

if you get around do mixing a volume 2, i'd submit Kings from Can't Buy a Thrill.

auto 08-11-08 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by yojimbo44
if you get around do mixing a volume 2, i'd submit Kings from Can't Buy a Thrill.

Too late. It's on mix #1. I love that song. :D

auto 08-11-08 07:44 PM

Here is my completed mix. Picked a few from each of the first seven albums. Many of the longer songs had to be cut for time. Last cut: Haitian Divorce :(

1. King of the World
2. Don't Take Me Alive
3. Night By Night
4. Rose Darling
5. Black Cow
6. Doctor Wu
7. Any Major Dude Will Tell You
8. Kings
9. Razor Boy
10. Josie
11. Barrytown
12. Midnite Cruiser