Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Dream Theater - Chaos In Motion live dvd/cd coming in Sept.

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-08, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

From Melodic Rock:

DREAM THEATER LIVE DVD SETS TO BE RELEASED IN SEPTEMBER:
New York, NY: Few bands inspire such fanaticism among their fans as Dream Theater. The best way to satiate this dedicated legion is to provide them with even more material to devour and Dream Theater are doing just that this September. The band will release Chaos In Motion 2007/2008, which documents their "Chaos In Motion" world tour, which kicked off June 3, 2007 at the Monsters of Rock Festival in Milan, Italy and concluded almost a year to the day later on June 4, 2008 in San Juan, Puerto Rico. It's essentially a travelogue of their most recent touring experience and it hits shelves on September 23. Chaos In Motion 2007/2008 will be available in two configurations: as a double DVD set and as five disc collector's set which includes two DVDs and three CDs, containing 14 live tracks featured in the DVD set and expanded artwork.
The Chaos in Motion Tour was a trek that found the band traversing the globe, playing 115 shows in 105 cities in 35 countries on five continents to hundreds of thousands of fans. It also included the first annual Progressive Nation Tour, an idea that the band had kicked around for a few years and finally launched into action this past spring.
Chaos In Motion 2007/2008 is the latest in a series of DVDs from the band and it features performances captured throughout the entirety of the tour, unlike their last three RIAA-certified Platinum DVDs, Metropolis 2000: Live Scenes From New York, Live at Budokan and Score, all of which focused on as single concert event.
Drummer and DVD creative director Mike Portnoy plumed his personal archives for footage in order to provide fans with the ultimate tour souvenir. He assembled over three hours of complete live performances, taking footage from shows in Rotterdam, Buenos Aires, Toronto, Boston, Bangkok and Vancouver. The tracks were mixed and effectively brought to life by Kevin Shirley. The second disc is packed with bonus material, including promo videos, live screen projection films, a photo gallery and a 90-minute documentary that'll make you feel like you're riding in the passenger's seat of the band's tour bus, as it takes you on the road and behind the scenes with the band and crew. It's like a virtual backstage pass that grants fans further unprecedented access.

The official content and tracklisting for the DVD are as follows and are subject to change:

Double DVD Set Disc One: “Around The World In 180 Minutes” Live Concert Footage: Intro/Also Sprach Zarathustra, Constant Motion, Panic Attack, Blind Faith, Surrounded, The Dark Eternal Night, Keyboard Solo, Lines In The Sand, Scarred, Forsaken, The Ministry Of Lost Souls, Take The Time, In The Presence Of Enemies, Medley: I. Trial Of Tears II. Finally Free III. Learning To Live IV. In The Name Of God V. Octavarium.

Disc Two: "Behind The Chaos On The Road” Documentary; Promo Videos: Constant Motion, Forsaken, Forsaken (In Studio), The Dark Eternal Night (In Studio); Live Screen Projection Films: The Dark Eternal Night (N.A.D.S), The Ministry Of Lost Souls, In The Presence Of Enemies Pt. 2; “Mike Portnoy Stage Tour”; “Mike Portnoy Backstage Tour”; Photo Gallery.

Deluxe Collector's Edition 5-Disc Set: Chaos In Motion 2007/2008 Double DVD Set PLUS: * 3 CD's containing the live 14 tracks featured in the DVD set * Expanded artwork and more.
Old 07-11-08, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
I'll go with the 2DVD set until I hear what "and more" is. Never been a big fan of live CD's - I'd rather watch and listen to a live performance vs. just listen.
Old 07-11-08, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm the opposite. I'll listen the CDs a lot more than I'll watch the DVDs. One good thing about DT is that their live albums, though frequent, always have almost entirely unique setlists, with very few repeats of songs.
Old 07-11-08, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by cdollaz
One good thing about DT is that their live albums, though frequent, always have almost entirely unique setlists, with very few repeats of songs.
Definitely. Mike is good about that and this setlist looks great to me. It will be odd not being one cohesive show though.

I'm not a huge fan of live discs myself, but I'm a sucker for anything DT releases. I'll buy and listen for a couple weeks and it will get shelved. I will get the whole set though. It will be cool to have a couple official DT music videos. Road Runner rules.

I'm way behind on the official boots releases though. They're just too rich for my blood.
Old 07-11-08, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm in for the deluxe set. I'm a total sucker for live recordings of an artist I like. Portnoy always delivers the fans a top-notch product. FYI - I attended the 10 year Anniversary Liquid Tension Experiment show in Downey a couple of weeks ago and it was filmed and recorded (as were all the shows on the tour). We can hopefully look forward to some sort of live footage and/or recordings soon.
Old 07-12-08, 07:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think I've heard Surrounded live since the marquee disc. And I'm always down to hear Lines in the Sand and Scarred.
Old 07-13-08, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Probably just the 2-disk for me.
Old 07-15-08, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like that they don't play the same songs every night, since half of those songs weren't played in DC.
Old 07-15-08, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

FWIW, I was browsing Mike's forum yesterday and he said after he's done putting the finishing touches on this set he's taking a vacation then planning on having DT hit the studio in October for a new album.
Old 07-15-08, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Myung speaks! The Chaos in Motion DVD trailer:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FCmNl2tKfug&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FCmNl2tKfug&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 07-31-08, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Cover looks good:

Old 09-21-08, 06:51 AM

If you are looking for the 5 disc edition, it is only 24.49 with the 30% off sale at wherehouse.com

Last edited by comanche_doyle; 09-24-08 at 11:51 AM.
Old 09-21-08, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Cool. Thanks doyle.

Are we sure all these places are getting it? According to the UACM Newsletter there are only 5,000 of the 5 disc sets being pressed. Sounds pretty low to me.
Old 09-30-08, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone pick this up yet? Best Buy's website only shows the 5-disk edition.
Old 09-30-08, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My local BB had plenty of the 2-disc edition, but apparantly only 2 of the deluxe.
Old 09-30-08, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Mine should be arriving today.
Old 09-30-08, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My local BB had plenty of the 2-disc edition, but apparantly only 2 of the deluxe.
Same here. Except I only saw one of the Deluxe. I'd never listen to the CDs anyway and if I want just the audio, I can just get it off the DVD.
Old 09-30-08, 06:31 PM

All three BBs near me were sold out of the deluxe edition by 5 pm. Should have snuck out of work on my lunch break.
Old 09-30-08, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just skimmed through Disk 1 in about 1.5 hours. The video quality is terrible compared to Score. Score looked good upconverted on my 52" Samsung, but this one I had to bring upstairs and watch on my old 36" CRT.

Is it me, or does James LaBrie look like Tom Savini?

Last edited by Snowmaker; 10-01-08 at 09:48 AM.
Old 10-01-08, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The CDs sound like crap. If sound quality is an issue, you may want to reconsider shelling out the dough for the deluxe edition. I haven't watched any of the DVD yet so can't comment on that.
Old 10-01-08, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
Just skimmed through Disk 1 in about 1.5 hours. The video quality is terrible compared to Score. Score looked good upconverted on my 52" Samsung, but this one I has to bring upstairs and watch on my old 36" CRT.

Is it me, or does James LaBrie look like Tom Savini?
Yikes! Between this comment and cdollaz' issues with the audio quality, I'm knid of glad I didn't get this on release day. I've always liked the professional quality of the last few DVD releases, particularly Budokon and Score. Are the DVD extras of decent quality?
Old 10-01-08, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jippy
Are the DVD extras of decent quality?
I have not gotten to disk 2 yet, but I'd have to imagine the promo videos look better than the concert footage of disk 1.