Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Lost Hendrix Album Discovered

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-08, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf...overed_1073574
A lost album JIMI HENDRIX recorded with rocker STEPHEN STILLS has been discovered more than 30 years after it was recorded.
Stills recently found the recording among a stack of material he taped during the 1970s, and his Crosby, Stills and Nash bandmate Graham Nash is helping him prepare it for release.
Nash tells the Las Vegas Sun, "He has an enormous history of recording. In the '70s, he was a recording fool. He just found a bloody album he made with (Jimi) Hendrix.
"'Oh yeah, I forgot that.' We've got to listen to that... I want to listen to every track he ever recorded in case he recorded with Al Jolson."
This is one of those I'll believe it when I see it, but fingers crossed.

oh please oh please oh please
Old 07-10-08, 03:10 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Jeez. That would be kind of amazing.
Old 07-10-08, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
The dude recorded an album with Hendrix and then forgot about it? That's too funny.
Old 07-10-08, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by Boba Fett
The dude recorded an album with Hendrix and then forgot about it? That's too funny.
8 way Windowpane will do that too you.
Old 07-10-08, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
I wonder if this is one of those deals where Hendrix happened to play guitar on a couple of tracks. Hard to believe there is a whole album recorded where Hendrix was a major part (writer/vocalist/musician).
Old 07-10-08, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
I'm more excited about the Jolson collaboration..
Old 07-16-08, 04:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080716/...YEUl9sdHADMQ--

Burnt Hendrix guitar to be sold in London
Wed Jul 16, 1:17 PM ET

LONDON (Reuters) - One of Jimi Hendrix's favorite guitars, set alight on a London stage more than 40 years ago and thought to have been lost forever, is to be auctioned later this year.

The guitar, a 1965 Fender Stratocaster, was famously doused with lighter fuel and set alight by the rock legend during a one-off performance at London's Finsbury Astoria in March 1967.

Hendrix had to be rushed to hospital with minor burns to his hands after the stunt, and the guitar, slightly damaged along the neck and pickboard, was recovered by his staff.

It eventually ended up in the hands of his press officer, Tony Garland, who stored it in his parents' garage, where it remained until it was unearthed last year by Garland's nephew.

The guitar is among a range of rock memorabilia to be auctioned by the Fame Bureau in London on September 4th. It has an estimate of 500,000 pounds ($999,000). Other lots include The Doors frontman Jim Morrison's last notebook of poems.

"When Hendrix set this guitar alight it marked a watershed in live performance," said Ted Owen, director of acquisitions at the auction house.

"He raised the bar of what could be expected and paved the way for a series of imitations and pastiche that exist to this day."

Hendrix, who died in 1970, burnt two guitars on stage -- he repeated the stunt at a festival later in 1967 -- but the one to be auctioned is the only example that survives intact.

A previous auction of a Hendrix guitar, known as the Woodstock Stratocaster, fetched $1.8 million.

(Reporting by Luke Baker; Editing by Paul Casciato)
Chris
Old 07-19-08, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cdollaz
I wonder if this is one of those deals where Hendrix happened to play guitar on a couple of tracks. Hard to believe there is a whole album recorded where Hendrix was a major part (writer/vocalist/musician).
That's what my money would be bet on.

Just in case others might be interested the original JH records are set to be released again in the next few months on vinyl. There's a been a few live releases already such as Live At Berkeley and Live At Monterey - both sound fantastic.
Old 07-19-08, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stills and Hendrix were very close friends and did a lot of jamming together. I'm not at all surprised if much of it was recorded. What would surprise me is if there is this much material that amounts to an album of actual complete songs. We'll see I guess. Nash has a long to do list and this is just one of many projects on his plate.
Old 07-20-08, 04:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts
My undertstanding is these are demos/rejected tracks for Stills debut solo album which actually did have 1 track with Hendrix on it. I.E. Hendrix backing Stills. From what I've heard there's a very good chance this will come out.

One good sign is that Stills & Nash are said to be remixing it; which means they have the multi track masters.