Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

video collections you still want to see on DVD?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 07-07-08, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This one is more for those of us who grew up in the heyday of MTV and loved watching music videos. A lot of artists have released excellent collections (Best Of Bowie, U2's Best Of 1990-2000 and Erasure's HITS are just three examples of how it should be done), but even a decade into the DVD era, there have been a lot of artists with excellent videographies who are either untouched or only have a subpar collection.

What are some you'd love to see?
Madonna -- yes, I know she has Immaculate and 93-99 and some video singles and soundtrack cuts that are bonus features, but with her stint at Warner coming to an end, I'd love to see the queen of MTV release a 2 disc collection that spans everything from Everybody through the Hard Candy album. Even with the output she has on DVD, she has probably twice as much that is sitting in the vaults. Honorable mentions for her would be Virgin Tour, Blond Ambition and Reinvention Tour releases.

Prince -- The artist who is the biggest pain in the butt about YouTube is criminally underrepresented on DVD. We do have music videos on the Purple Rain, Under The Cherry Moon and Batman DVD's (I don't count Graffiti Bridge since all music videos were straight extractions), and we do have a crappy VHS-transferred video collection from 1993, but lets face it... Warner years alone, this probably is only about 20-30% of his 1978-1993 output (I stop at 93 because he owns everything since whereas Warner has control of those years). He could try and release a self-DVD with all of the videos from the past dozen years or so alongside a complete Warner Bros. years collection. Honorable mentions for him would be more tour material. How about upgrading those old Purple Rain and Lovesexy tours to DVD, and maybe release a collection from the UK shows last year? Prince is one MTV-era artist who truly is better live than he is as a video artist.

Coldplay -- They are recent and still in progress in their peak years, so it'd probably be jumping the gun already. But even though the age of video has been killed off because of crappy reality shows, Coldplay have held up a level of consistancy with their videos. Videos like Talk and Trouble are modern-day masterpieces.

Aerosmith -- I know there are rights issues since they have had success on both Geffen and Columbia, but I am surprised we have yet to see a video collection of any sorts come out yet. They benefitted from the MTV generation and gave late 80's and early 90's audiences many memorable classics. I am surprised there has yet to be a DVD collection for their videos yet. Honorable mention would be a DVD upgrade of the Texxas Jam '78 concert

Fleetwood Mac -- Not the greatest video band, but would like to see a collection tagged onto a hits cd or something like Stevie Nicks' recent CD/DVD combo. Videos like Gypsy and Big Love were groundbreaking for their time and deserve the preservation. Honorable mention for them would be the long-out of print Tusk Documentary from 1980 (which has been oop so long that it's almost fabled and very few fans have seen) as well as the Mirage Tour video from 1982. Why would they release Tango In The Night tour but not the last pre-reunion tour with Lindsey? (same goes with solo Stevie, why is her coked out embarassing Red Rocks concert from 1986 out on DVD but her legendary 1981 concert video only represented by a clip of Edge Of Seventeen on Stevie's GH DVD?)

Duran Duran -- Yes, there is Greatest. But anyone who has seen that DVD knows that not only is the DVD a pain in the behind to navigate through, but way too much is missing. While it would be nice and I would like the bonus features like the old EPK's to be carried over, I'd love a complete video collection, or at least the complete Capitol (1981-1997) years.

Depeche Mode -- The Videos 1986-1998 is excellent, but there have been two (one so-so, one excellent) albums since, as well as a number of 1981-1985 era videos that belong on DVD. I would love to see Warner release a companion set to this with all of the 1981-1985, 2001- videos. Maybe after their upcoming album runs its course.

What are some others? I know there are many others I would love
Old 07-07-08, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Siouxsie and the Banshees - Twice Upon a Time
So I can update my VHS copy. Might as well throw Once Upon a Time on their as well to be complete

PJ Harvey - vids for Dry, Man Size, 50 ft Queenie, Down By The Water, etc. are needed on DVD

Also Throwing Muses, Belly, The Breeders, Juliana Hatfield

And a bunch of other alt 80s/90s bands would be nice too, as they were what made 120 minutes on MTV worth watching.

And for a change of pace...

Suzy Bogguss - Love her voice and her vids, needed especially for the video of Drive South.
Old 07-07-08, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,392 Likes on 1,553 Posts
I'd like to see a Director's Series DVD of David Fincher's work. Honostly, I don't know which videos he directed ( I remember one big Madonna one was his), but I really love my Spike Jonze and Mark Romanek ones and since Fincher is by far the most famous former video director, I'd love to see his early works.

edit : a partial list of his videos from IMDB

Madonna: The Immaculate Collection (1990) (V) (videos "Express Yourself", "Oh Father" and "Vogue")
The Best of Sting: Fields of Gold 1984-1994 (1994) (V) (video "Englishman In New York")
Ladies & Gentlemen: The Best of George Michael (1999) (V) (video "Freedom '90") [My favorite video of all-time]
Madonna: The Video Collection 93:99 (1999) (V) (video "Bad Girl")
Video Hits: Paula Abdul (2005) (V) (videos "Straight Up", "Forever Your Girl" and "Cold Hearted")

The dude has some talent.

Last edited by Decker; 07-07-08 at 10:56 PM.
Old 07-07-08, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sure. Here are some that were released on VHS, but have yet to make it to DVD, and some that never were*.

Cheap Trick - Every Trick The Book (videos collection), Live At Budokan*(the video existed at one time, why not put it out)

Rolling Stones - 25 X Five - The Continuing Adventures of The Rolling Stones. Great documentary with live clips.

The Knack - Live At Carnegie Hall

Jellyfish - Gone Jellyfishin'

And while not really a video collection, The Complete Beatles is an excellent 1982 documentary on The Beatles (narrated by Malcolm McDowell), that I still can't believe has never been released yet.

I'd also love to see something along the lines of what KISS has done with their KISSOLOGY series for any number of artists - say Alice Cooper, for instance.

Aerosmith -- I know there are rights issues since they have had success on both Geffen and Columbia, but I am surprised we have yet to see a video collection of any sorts come out yet. They benefitted from the MTV generation and gave late 80's and early 90's audiences many memorable classics. I am surprised there has yet to be a DVD collection for their videos yet. Honorable mention would be a DVD upgrade of the Texxas Jam '78 concert.
Yeah, considering how many "greatest hits" type compilations they've released on CD over the years - at my last count, not including imports or live albums, it's up to eight(!) - you'd think this would already be a done deal. Also, since at least two of the last hits compilations they've done on Columbia - Devil's Got A New Disguise: The Very Best CD(2006) and O, Yeah! Ultimate Aerosmith Hits(2002) - included Geffen material, too, it shouldn't be rights issues that's holding up the works. Plus, I know there were a few VHS videos collections from the Geffen years (one from Permanent Vacation, one from Pump and Big Ones), and I seem to recall there being a Gems style Columbia one at some point, too. Re-master 'em and get 'em out.

Last edited by Rocketdog2000; 07-07-08 at 11:27 PM.
Old 07-07-08, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tscott
Suzy Bogguss - Love her voice and her vids, needed especially for the video of Drive South.

I like Suzy Bogguss also. I have about 5 or 6 of her CDs and Simpatico by Suzy and Chet Atkins is my favorite. Suzy voice with Chet's guitar playing sounds awesome.

I agree with everybody about these:
Rolling Stones
Madonna (I want to Justify My Love for her)
Prince
Aerosmith
Paula Abdul
Fleetwood Mac

I must add:
Ozzy Osbourne (top of my list)
Trisha Yearwood (I just love this woman)
Toby Keith (he's just had some funny videos)
David Lee Roth
Whitesnake
Meat Loaf
Heart
The Cars
Elton John
Old 07-08-08, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts
I really want just U2 Live At Red Rock:Under A Blood Red Sky.
Old 07-08-08, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by dom56
I really want just U2 Live At Red Rock:Under A Blood Red Sky.
Rumored for Sept.

U2 Best of 1980-1990, (instead we got 1990-2000 and then U218Singles)
Old 07-08-08, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,392 Likes on 1,553 Posts
Originally Posted by Chrisedge
U2 Best of 1980-1990, (instead we got 1990-2000 and then U218Singles)
Why would that even be needed? Once you figure in U218Singles and Rattle & Hum, you're only missing like 4 songs. Add the (hopefully) upcoming Unforgetable Fire DVD and all you're missing is Bad and I Will Follow (if either of those even have a video besides the Unforgetable Fire performance) and All I Want Is You (though I could swear that's on one of the DVDs, I can't confirm it).
Old 07-08-08, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
Why would that even be needed? Once you figure in U218Singles and Rattle & Hum, you're only missing like 4 songs. Add the (hopefully) upcoming Unforgetable Fire DVD and all you're missing is Bad and I Will Follow (if either of those even have a video besides the Unforgetable Fire performance) and All I Want Is You (though I could swear that's on one of the DVDs, I can't confirm it).
Gloria has never been released on a video collection as far as I'm aware either, and that was one of their better early videos and was the first one to get MTV airplay back in 1981. Maybe they will do a SE of Rattle And Hum and put the All I Want Is You video on it also. I have Best Of 1990-2000 and U218Singles (and between those two, there's only slight overlapping with a few videos) and that is a really good collection. I would love to have pristine copies of the Gloria, All I Want Is You, Two Hearts Beat As One and Unforgettable Fire videos though from the early days.
Old 07-08-08, 09:16 AM

Foo Fighters and Beck
Old 07-08-08, 10:45 AM

As far as videos that exist (but not on DVD), I'd like Sign 'O' the Times and the Cure's Show concerts.

For video collections that don't exist, I want Sigue Sigue Sputnik.
Old 07-08-08, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Men At Work
Old 07-08-08, 01:28 PM

I'm still waiting for Laurie Anderson's works to be released on DVD.
Old 07-08-08, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mnementh
I'm still waiting for Laurie Anderson's works to be released on DVD.
there has been buzz that Home Of The Brave will come out on DVD.... but the question is "when?"
Old 07-08-08, 03:17 PM
Banned

I'd kill for more releases in the Palm Pictures Director Lables series (Anyone know if they are in the works or did the last wave not sell well enough?)
I love these releases soooo much and I tend to pull them out at least a half dozen times a year to watch some of them.
In addition I'd like to see proper video collections of the following artists:
Nine Inch Nails
Elvis Costello (1995-2008)
Til' Tuesday/Aimee Mann
Travis
Old 07-08-08, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 182 Likes on 126 Posts
A collection of David Fincher videos.
Old 07-08-08, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Alice Cooper. the problem is he has been on so many different lables that we will probably never see a definative collection
Old 07-10-08, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by nothingfails
there has been buzz that Home Of The Brave will come out on DVD.... but the question is "when?"
DVD film/video box set collection
Including "Home of the Brave". Release date and details to come.

Too bad her webpage has shown that message for over a year now.
Old 07-10-08, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Danzig. I want to see the original Danzig and Lucifuge home videos released on DVD.

I'd also love a complete Alice Cooper video collection.

NIN: Closure. Still waiting...
Old 07-10-08, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 80 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
NIN: Closure. Still waiting...
Reznor released this as a torrent last year or so, along with the Broken movie.
Old 07-10-08, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mndtrp
Reznor released this as a torrent last year or so, along with the Broken movie.
well, lots of stuff you can get on bootleg, I think he meant an official release. I prefer getting official releases as well
Old 07-11-08, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
J. Geils Band.

Centerfold is still probably my favorite video ever. Besides the obvious eye candy, there never has been a more clever video moment than the drum shot.
Old 07-11-08, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by nothingfails
well, lots of stuff you can get on bootleg, I think he meant an official release. I prefer getting official releases as well
Well in most cases I agree with you. Reznor re-mastered Both of these and intended them for release. Due to some rights issues they were kept from release. I'm pretty sure it's due to Reznor & TVTs sour grapes. Reznor also had planned to revisit Pretty Hate Machine for a 15th anniversary release, remixing it for 5.1 sound.

Anyways, Reznor himself pretty much admitted to putting the files on the net. Stating that it was a "guilt free download". So in this case, it's the closest thing to an official release as your gonna get.

Also, I wish U2 would just release a 3 Disc DVD set of ALL the videos.
Garbage did a pretty decent job last year, but still left out 3 or 4 videos, which annoyed me greatly!
Old 07-11-08, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts
Bon Jovi
Old 07-11-08, 08:23 PM

Well in most cases I agree with you. Reznor re-mastered Both of these and intended them for release. Due to some rights issues they were kept from release. I'm pretty sure it's due to Reznor & TVTs sour grapes. Reznor also had planned to revisit Pretty Hate Machine for a 15th anniversary release, remixing it for 5.1 sound.
There were some major rights issues with Closure coming out. From what I remember it was supost to have came out around the time that And All that Could have Been was released on dvd and was going to have all the videos up til that point.
I don't think Manson has released a video collection but I could be wrong. And a Tom Petty collection would be welcome

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.