DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   CMT Crossroads: Def Leppard/Taylor Swift DVD (Walmart/Sam's Exclusive) 06/16/09 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/534741-cmt-crossroads-def-leppard-taylor-swift-dvd-walmart-sams-exclusive-06-16-09-a.html)

kpa 11-13-08 08:38 PM

If anything, it made me dust off my Lep collection (which I didn't realize how much I missed). I'm convinced a re-tooled 'When Love and Hate Collide' could be a hit for a different country artist.

This should've been a Shania Twain/Def Lep show...

Turd Ferguson 11-13-08 09:43 PM

I thought it was great. It reminded me how kick-f'n-ass Def Leppard is.

Turd Ferguson 11-13-08 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by nothingfails (Post 8784737)
grrrr, as someone who doesn't like Bush (and associates the country market as intolerant considering the way they treated k.d. lang for being a lesbian and Dixie Chicks for being anti-war), I hate that so many of the hard rock bands of the 80's are courting the red state market to stay relevant, first Bon Jovi, now Def Leppard. There are a lot of us who love those bands and don't subscribe to that mindset.

Give me a goddamn break. We's like to hear purdy music too when we ain't fuckin' our sisters.

The Cow 11-15-08 09:23 PM

Wow, color me impressed. I was super skeptical early in this thread, but it was pretty damn good.

Joe has struggled with Photograph live for many years now. He must have rested plenty for this as he sounded good (Taylor covered the high well).

I had no clue who Taylor was going into this and she does okay.

I still don't think Vivian Campbell fits into Def Leppard, and I lost a lot of respect for him when he dissed Dio and the days when he was playing with him. But that's for another thread...

Overall, I think it was pretty good. Nothing I would go out and purchase a recording of, but it was entertaining. :up:

DVD Josh 11-17-08 01:28 PM

First the good - Joe's voice sounded better than it has in years.

Second - Swift has a very average voice and little to no stage presence.

Three - Phil is a ridiculous guitarist.

DRG 11-18-08 01:54 PM

The only disappointing thing for me was that I was hoping Def Leppard would have put more of their own musical spin on Taylor Swift's songs besides Joe contributing a verse here and there. I thought they would be a little more 'rocked up'.

GuessWho 11-18-08 03:21 PM

I really liked the show and I look forward to seeing it in HD & surround sound later this week when it starts airing on Palladia (formerly MHD)

EdTheRipper 06-01-09 03:57 PM

Re: CMT Crossroads: Def Leppard/Taylor Swift DVD (Walmart/Sam's Exclusive) 06/16/09

I'll definitely grab the dvd. Good stuff.

GuessWho 06-01-09 10:11 PM

Re: CMT Crossroads: Def Leppard/Taylor Swift DVD (Walmart/Sam's Exclusive) 06/16/09

Looking forward to picking up the DVD and finally freeing up the DVR space it's been taking up :)

Travis McClain 06-02-09 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by nothingfails (Post 8784737)
grrrr, as someone who doesn't like Bush (and associates the country market as intolerant considering the way they treated k.d. lang for being a lesbian and Dixie Chicks for being anti-war), I hate that so many of the hard rock bands of the 80's are courting the red state market to stay relevant, first Bon Jovi, now Def Leppard. There are a lot of us who love those bands and don't subscribe to that mindset.

I find it interesting that you see it as your favorite artists compromising themselves to reach out to the red state demographic. Why not view it, instead, as an effort on the rock stars's behalf to expand the horizons of those listeners?

For the record, I'm a liberal Kentuckian whose genre of choice has been country for most of his life. I don't care for the generic, "I wave the flag, shoot guns and love God" songs, but as with any genre, there are songs and artists that just play to the stereotype...and there are some that have some actual merit. Take away the "I got my nine and the bitches better respect me" songs and you'll find some thoughtful hip-hop songs with strong social commentary. Why reject an entire segment of the population because of a superficial layer?

Travis McClain 06-02-09 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Lemmy (Post 9481563)
Because to nearly everyone in any given segment (myself included), the layer is hardly superficial....it's who we are. I'm a liberal/moderate (mostly), but I just can't bring myself to listen to stuff that goes against my grain...I don't consider their difference to be superficial any more than some conservative person thinks mine is. And I'm a very tolerant person, much of the time.

Example: I love listening to OLD Ted Nugent....I can remember when he wasn't acting like an ass on every politico's show that would have him, and when his stage patter didn't include the word ********** or s**c. I enjoy the music from those days, and still occasionally listen to it. But I won't even give his new stuff a listen, because he's just turned into such a damned crotch cricket. That's about how much I'm willing to let his "superficiality" go.

The heart and soul of any music genre is still storytelling, and the most meaningful stories are about people--not the slogans that have proliferated so many of the very country anthems that have alienated you (and myself, honestly). What I meant by referencing a "superficial layer" of the genre was to suggest that by disregarding, say, Toby Keith and Darryl Worley (two of the biggest flag-waving offenders of recent years), you are still left with, say, Allison Moorer and Vince Gill.

I can throw out "Courtesy of the Red, White and Blue" and "Have You Forgotten" and still enjoy "I Love This Bar" and "I Miss My Friend" by the same artists. And, even if I were so bothered by Keith and Worley that I couldn't enjoy their older music anymore, I would still like to think I could enjoy Moorer and Gill. More importantly (and getting back to my original point from a post ago), I would like to think that my disregard of Keith and Worley would not be so severe as to discount people who happen to be fans of theirs.

After all, even a broken clock is right twice a day. It just seems...spiteful...to write off an entire genre--and its fans--because of a few issues.

MR Round 06-03-09 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by GuessWho (Post 9479211)
Looking forward to picking up the DVD and finally freeing up the DVR space it's been taking up :)

Same Here

al_bundy 06-17-09 07:36 AM

this was on Palladia over the weekend, it's worth it just for Taylor Swift

even my 21 month old son said "hot" when he saw her