Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Billboard Hot 100 reaches 1,000th hit, and guess who gets the Honor? Katy Perry...

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Billboard Hot 100 reaches 1,000th hit, and guess who gets the Honor? Katy Perry...

Old 06-27-08, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Billboard Hot 100 reaches 1,000th #1 hit, and guess who gets the Honor? Katy Perry..

Hot 100 Seals Its 1,000th Hit with Katy's "Kiss"

06/26/2008 8:00 AM, E! Online
David Jenison

Katy Perry just smooched her way to No. 1, and into the history books.

Her single "I Kissed a Girl" leapfrogged over Coldplay to top Billboard's Hot 100 singles chart, becoming the 1,000th No. 1 hit of the rock era.

Perry landed the millennial No. 1 by selling 235,000 digital copies and surging seven spots to No. 12 on the Hot 100 Airplay chart. Though her music leans pop, the racy singer is racking up spins at several alt-rock stations as well, and she's a fixture on this year's Vans Warped Tour.

Bill Haley & His Comets' "Rock Around the Clock" topped the inaugural Best Sellers list back in 1955. At the time, Billboard actually had three main charts—Best Sellers, Most Played by Jockeys and Most Played in Jukeboxes—which eventually were combined into the Hot 100 in August 1958. Ricky Nelson's "Poor Little Fool" was the inaugural Hot 100 chart-topper for the issue dated Aug. 4.

Last week, Perry was second to Capitol labelmate Coldplay's "Viva la Vida." This marked the first time in 41 years that Capitol artists simultaneously held the top two spots. This week, with Perry replacing Coldplay, it's the first time in 32 years that Capitol artists followed each other at No. 1. This last happened in 1976 when Wings' "Silly Love Songs" succeeded the Sylvers' "Boogie Fever."

"Viva la Vida," meanwhile, dropped five spots to No. 6, despite a monster chart-topping week for Coldplay's new album, Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends.

Elsewhere, Demi Lovato and Joe Jonas' Camp Rock single, "This Is Me," scored the week's biggest bow at No. 11. Overall, there were four debuts from the soundtrack: the Jonas Brothers' "Play My Music" at No. 20, Joe Jonas' "Gotta Find You" at No. 30 and the cast recording "We Rock" at No. 33.

Rihanna scored the week's second biggest bow at No. 18 with "Disturbia," one of three bonus tracks from her recent Good Girl Gone Bad: Reloaded. Though the reissue arrived in stores last week, all three tracks have now been released as singles. "Take a Bow" led the way, topping the Hot 100 in late May, while "If I Never See Your Face Again" was a remix collaboration with Maroon 5 that the band actually released as the fourth single from It Won't Be Soon Before Long.

Among the week's big movers, the Pussycat Dolls' "When I Grow Up" jumped nine spots to No. 9, while Miley Cyrus' "7 Things" leapt 60 spots to No. 10 driven largely by digital sales (130,000 copies).

Last edited by Buttmunker; 06-30-08 at 07:32 AM. Reason: forgot to say "No.1 hit"
Old 06-27-08, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well, better this than a lot of the rap garbage that hits #1
Old 06-27-08, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

well, a sure lot (of crap-rap) has surely hit the top. Here is a *gulp* list of all the Number One's for 2008 (and it isn't pretty):

..... what are your opinions on each of them?

"Low" by Flo Rida featuring T-Pain

"Love in This Club" by Usher featuring Young Jeezy (Young who??)

"Bleeding Love" by Leona Lewis

"Touch My Body" by Mariah Carey (welcome back, biatch)

"Lollipop" by Lil Wayne featuring Static Major

"Take a Bow" by Rihanna

"Viva la Vida" by Coldplay

"I Kissed a Girl" by Katy Perry

Coldplay is pissed off by missing the honor by one week. Ah well. Lucky to be up there at all - guess your new song is doing better than the only song I really know from you - Yellow
Old 06-27-08, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Is that a cover song?
Old 06-27-08, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I had to check but no, it's not the Jill Sobule song.

Also, thanks to the retards who comment on the video, I learned a new word: barsexual.
Old 06-27-08, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ABC story about her Christian Music career.

My brother had that CD she released under Katy Hudson. Wasn't too bad for a then 14-15 year old songwriter.