Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

NEW Girl Talk LP OUT THIS WEEK

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-08, 10:16 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/news...p-out-this-week

If you'd been putting together an iTunes playlist for a big party this weekend, be sure to leave a good bit of space on it. After a few final listens just to make sure everything's as it should be, Gregg Gillis-- aka mainstream-mining maximalist mashupper Girl Talk-- will release his fourth LP, Feed the Animals, via the Illegal Art label site. Gillis expects the album to hit the web "Wednesday or Thursday" of this week, with a physical release to follow. (The CD is due on Illegal Art, while the vinyl will be handled by Wham City.)

We spoke with Gillis late last week, two days after he finished work on the album's tracks. Mastering work on the LP had just begun. We talked about the how much things have changed for him in the two years since his breakthrough, Night Ripper, the relationship between his ever-evolving live show and his albums, and the proper way to turn "Hollaback Girl" into an enduring classic. [But it already IS an enduring classic! -- Ed.]

Pitchfork: Why did you opt to release the album this way, with a rushed "Radiohead-style" digital release, followed by the physical product at a later date?

Gregg Gilllis: First of all, there's a lot of current pop and hip-hop sampled on the album, and I wanted to get it out there as soon as possible. Unlike when Night Ripper came out, I have an actual fan base who's ready to hear it. I remember when we were doing Night Ripper, we were trying to rush it out and it wasn't really a big deal, because when it actually came out people still didn't know about it 'til maybe a few months later. So for this one, I feel like I'm in a fairly lucky situation to have people who want to hear it already before even hearing it. That much is a rare thing in my career so far. I think what we went for seems like an obvious game plan now, just because as soon as it hits the internet, anyone who reads the internet can get it for free if they want to. So why not tap in and let them actually take a step back and think about it, and maybe offer some money? It seemed to make sense, especially because kids who listen to my music are probably fairly attached to the internet and can get it for free if they actually want to.

Pitchfork: Have you settled on a date for when it's going live?

GG: Pretty much as soon as possible. I finished it Tuesday night (June 10), and the guy who has mastered all my albums is starting the mastering process today. He promised me he'd be done by Monday, so that would give me maybe a couple days to listen to it, but I imagine it will be on the internet by Wednesday or Thursday [June 18 or 19].

YES. One of my most anticipated albums of the year
Old 06-17-08, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Can't wait. Still listen to The Night Ripper regularly.
Old 06-17-08, 07:03 PM
Banned

MTV is reporting Thursday!!! wooohooo
Old 06-18-08, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

SWEET!!! really hope it's comparable to night ripper!
Old 06-18-08, 06:57 PM
Banned

hopefully its at midnight
Old 06-19-08, 10:33 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
All the tracks are available to hear on his Myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/girltalk

So far I'm liking what I hear. He even makes Soulja Boy sound good...

Last edited by DRG; 06-19-08 at 11:10 AM.
Old 06-20-08, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Here's the album's download site: http://74.124.198.47/illegal-art.net/

I'm almost finished listening to it for the first time. Good stuff.
Old 06-20-08, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

these are not songs. what garbage. there is no flow to any of them... its just one clip of a persons song after another. with a beat surrounding them.

terrible.
Old 09-18-08, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
This is one of my favorite albums of this year. I like how it's smart and mindless at the same time.
Old 09-18-08, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

has this been released on vinyl yet?
Old 09-19-08, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bus
This is one of my favorite albums of this year. I like how it's smart and mindless at the same time.
Agreed. Not sure if I like it more than Night Ripper but it sure is a fun listen.
Old 09-19-08, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is easily one of my favorites of the year. About even 2 weeks I will come back to it and listen to it for 3 days straight.