Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Steven Curtis Chapman's daughter killed by SUV in driveway

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-08, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.newschannel5.com/global/story.asp?s=8367527

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - One day after the death of his daughter Christian singer Steven Curtis Chapman is expressing his gratefulness to fans and friends.

Five-year-old Maria Sue Chapman was killed Wednesday when her brother accidentally ran over her at the family's Williamson County home. Maria Sue was the youngest of six children of Chapman and his wife, Mary Beth. She was one of three children the couple adopted from China.

A day after her death support has been pouring in for the family. And though most fans don't actually know Maria, the Chapmans, through their Web site, wanted people to meet her. It features a blog video shot of Chapman and Maria goofing off in the kitchen two months ago.

Before the accident, the close-knit family was celebrating the engagement of the oldest daughter Emily Chapman. They were also just hours away from a graduation party marking Caleb Chapman's completion of high school.
Now, they are preparing to bury a child who blew out five candles on a birthday cake less than 10 days ago. These words are unthinkable to type.

"Steven clearly loved his family more than music. His family is his priority. Music is something he does. His family is who he is," said John Styll, president of Gospel Music Association.

The Chapmans are strong advocates of international adoption and founded Shaohannah's Hope to help prospective adoptive parents. In lieu of flowers, the family is asking for any gifts to be made to Shaohannah's Hope.

This is a video he posted a month ago on YouTube with his daughter. How incredibly sad.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Tn8ajucsXr8&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Tn8ajucsXr8&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Old 05-22-08, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Such a sad and tragic accident. My prayers are with them.
Old 05-23-08, 11:08 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've cleaned this one up and re-opened. If anyone wants to have a religious-based argument, please do so in Other and keep it civil.

For those in any doubt, the major threadcrappers in the original thread will be hearing from me soon. Anyone seeing similar behaviour in other threads please resist the temptation to respond in kind. Instead, please use the "Report This Thread" button.

Thank you to all, in advance, for your attention & cooperation.
Old 05-23-08, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I watched 4 seconds of that video before I had to stop it. Knowing that little girl is gone is just too much to bear to watch it.

Horrible tragedy and I wish the family well and peace.
Old 05-23-08, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I got through 3 seconds and had to stop. That's horrible.

I wonder how bad her brother feels. I know it must be unbearable.
Old 05-23-08, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by mcfly
I got through 3 seconds and had to stop. That's horrible.

I wonder how bad her brother feels. I know it must be unbearable.
Yeah exactly. How do you live with yourself after that? Face your parents? It's gotta be ripping him apart.
Old 05-23-08, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If this wasn't a family member would charges be filed?

I would think it is the driver's responsibility to make sure there are no humans in front of them or behind them when driving.
Old 05-23-08, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by pjflyer
If this wasn't a family member would charges be filed?

I would think it is the driver's responsibility to make sure there are no humans in front of them or behind them when driving.
Why would charges be filed?
Old 05-23-08, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Originally Posted by cdollaz
Why would charges be filed?
Reckless driving? Vehicular manslaughter? I have no idea... man what an awful freakin tragedy for the family. One daughter gone, one son riddled with unbearable guilt for the rest of his life, everyone ripped apart with grief.
Old 05-23-08, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
When a child, who can't even be seen by a driver, darts behind a car, it is not the driver's fault and there is nothing to charge them with.

This is just a horrible accident. The same thing happened about a week ago to some friends of some of our friends. A small child just happened to run onto a driveway of their neighbor in a split second and was run over and killed.
Old 05-23-08, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
As someone who adopted a little girl from China in 2006, this really hits home. I'm really going to have to hug my daughter when I get home tonight.
Old 05-23-08, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by benedict
I've cleaned this one up and re-opened.
Thank you.

I almost always back out of my driveway blindly. There is an alley behind us, but that doesn't mean a neighbor kid couldn't be running around. I've definitely thought about this kind of nightmare before and usually back out slowly. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to walk to the back of my car and check every time, though.

Having an 18-month-old daughter makes this story gut-wrenching to consider.