Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

PEARL JAM's new album - Backspacer - to be produced by Brendan O'Brien

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 05-03-08, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts

Pearl Jam Reteams With Brendan O'Brien For New Album

Pearl Jam has started recording its ninth studio album with producer Brendan O'Brien, guitarist Mike McCready told Seattle radio station KISW yesterday (May 1). Though only "four or five" songs are being worked on so far, McCready said the band is hoping to release the record in 2008.

The new effort, a follow-up to its self-titled 2006 album, finds Pearl Jam reteaming with longtime producer Brendan O'Brien (Bruce Springsteen, Rage Against the Machine) for the first time since 1998's "Yield." O'Brien has also produced Pearl Jam's "Vs." (1993), "Vitalogy" (1994) and "No Code."

The two parties first reunited last year to record a cover of the Who's "Love Reign O'er Me" for the soundtrack to the Adam Sandler film "Reign Over Me."

"Brendan works really fast," Pearl Jam bassist Jeff Ament told Billboard.com in March. "He's a super pro. I've always felt, working with him, that he understood me as a bass player and that's not always easy. A lot of producers are there to please the singer. But I've always had a great rapport with him. I can tell him I want something to sound like the O'Jays or Led Zeppelin or PJ Harvey and he gets it."

"We've always been friends," O'Brien told Billboard.com last fall. "They were great to me when we were making records together [before], and we still remained very good friends ... I still think they're a great band. Eddie [Vedder] has one of the best, if not the best, voices out there. When he sings, people believe them."

As previously reported, Pearl Jam is about to embark on a 13-date East Coast tour that runs from June 11-30.

In an effort to support Portland, Ore., U.S. Senate candidate Steve Novick, the band has set aside special tickets to its sold-out shows in New York, Camden, N.J., and Washington, D.C., that include donations to Novick's campaign. Novick donation tickets to the Washington, D.C., show include access to a meet-and-greet with guitarist Stone Gossard.

Last month, Gossard was among a group of musicians that also included R.E.M.'s Michael Stipe, the Decemberists' Colin Meloy, Sleater-Kinney's Corin Tucker and Spoon's Britt Daniel who released a letter of support for the candidate.

Pearl Jam's eponymous 2006 album peaked at No 2 on The Billboard 200 and lead single "World Wide Suicide" reached No. 1 on the Modern Rock chart.

BILLBOARD.com
Old 05-04-08, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
o'brien's production sucks. the last two springsteen albums he produced have sounded awful. what a bummer.
Old 05-04-08, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 188 Likes on 126 Posts
I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing.
Old 05-17-08, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Pearl Jam Plans To Let New Songs 'Grow Up'

Pearl Jam has gotten a start on its next album, but it's still in "its very infant stages" according to guitarist Mike McCready.

"We've had one session of writing and it has yielded ... about five ideas so far," McCready told Billboard.com during a conference call with reporters about this year's Bonnaroo Music Festival, which Pearl Jam will headline on June 14. "Some of it's kind of poppy and some of it's a little hard. We want it to grow up a little bit. We have to revisit it a few times."

Pearl Jam is working on the album, the follow-up to 2006's "Pearl Jam," with longtime associate Brendan O'Brien. And though the band is known for previewing new and unrecorded material at its shows, McCready says that's unlikely to happen on Pearl Jam's upcoming North American tour.

"We might get into some sort of jam," the guitarist said. "We have about 200 songs to pull from, so we'll do that and maybe do some obscure B-sides. For new stuff, I don't know if we have it refined enough to want to play it in front of an audience yet. We don't want to hack in front of everybody."

Nevertheless, McCready said Pearl Jam is looking forward to its first visit to Bonnaroo, where drummer Matt Cameron will also be performing a jazz set. "I think it's a perfect fit," McCready said. "We try to keep everything as in-house and small and as punk rock and do-it-yourself as we can. That's part of our way of doing business. That fits right in with how Bonnaroo is doing theirs."

As for jamming with other acts at the festival, McCready said that "if we run into somebody, 'Hey, you want to come up and jam?,' that's kind of how our band works." But he's hoping to run into one person in particular.

"I'd love to have Jack White up," McCready said. "I think he's just a phenomenal guitar player. I'd love to see him play up close ... because he's got a killer voice and he's a great lead player, too. That would be exciting to me."

McCready also said that Pearl Jam plans to continue making live recordings available to fans from its upcoming tour -- which starts June 11 in West Palm Beach, Fla. -- but isn't sure what form that will take yet.

BILLBOARD.com
Old 04-13-09, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

re: PEARL JAM's new album - Backspacer - to be produced by Brendan O'Brien

Pearl Jam Album, Film, Tour In The Works

Pearl Jam will play live dates in the U.S. later this year, including the Outside Lands Festival in San Francisco Aug. 28-30, Billboard has confirmed. The band has also completed 14 songs for a new album and is working on a film with director Cameron Crowe, guitarist Mike McCready said in a radio interview late last month.

McCready told Seattle's "Ron & Don Show" that the band is about halfway finished with its next album, which is being recorded in California with producer Brendan O'Brien. McCready said the band is expecting to have the album out before the end of this year. As previously reported, the band will self-release the album, its ninth.

As for touring, the band is doing a "little thing in the States," and is looking to play South America in 2010, McCready said.

Pearl Jam is widely expected to be one of the headliners of this year's Austin City Limits Music Festival in Austin, Texas. The promoters, C3 Presents, declined to comment to Billboard about the lineup, but the Austin Chronicle is calling it "the worst-kept secret since Metallica’s SXSW showcase." Dave Matthews Band, Beastie Boys and Kings of Leon are also expected to be announced as headliners on April 28. Early bird passes for Austin City Limits are on sale at aclfestival.com.

Pearl Jam is also planning to tape an appearance on the Austin City Limits television show, producer Terry Lickona told a pbs.org questioner in March.

Pearl Jam have long been courted by C3 Presents for the Austin festival, especially after the promoters convinced the band to play Lollapalooza in 2007, its first large festival show in the U.S. since the mid-1990s. Pearl Jam played Bonnaroo in 2008.

"We're building up to our big 20th anniversary," McCready said. "We're trying to have a little campaign of building rereleases with new mixes and new outtakes up until that time. We're trying to do a movie with Cameron Crowe with all of our existing footage."

Billboard.com
Old 04-13-09, 01:37 PM

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Thanks for the update.
Old 04-13-09, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I didn't see it posted anywhere else here, but Ed is doing another small solo tour in June...only 14 shows in 8 cities:

June 8 Albany, NY Palace Theatre
June 9* Albany, NY Palace Theatre
June 11 Philadelphia, PA Tower Theatre
June 12 Philadelphia, PA Tower Theatre
June 14 Baltimore, MD Lyric Opera House
June 15 Baltimore, MD Lyric Opera House
June 18 Nashville, TN Ryman Auditorium
June 20 Memphis, TN Orpheum Theatre
June 21* Memphis, TN Orpheum Theatre
June 23 Atlanta, GA Cobb Energy Performing Arts Centre
June 24* Atlanta, GA Cobb Energy Performing Arts Centre
June 29 Maui, HI Castle Theater
July 1 Honolulu, HI Hawaii Theatre
July 2 Honolulu, HI Hawaii Theatre

* Indicates unconfirmed, possible "rollover" dates. (Please, we know they will be added...)

I "applied" for fan club tix to the first Baltimore show, hoping to find out in the next day or two if I "won" their lottery....
Old 04-14-09, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hollowgen
o'brien's production sucks. the last two springsteen albums he produced have sounded awful. what a bummer.
I'd say just the opposite, but to each their own. We all have our own tastes. He was also the first guy in quite a while to make AC/DC sound great again, too.
Old 04-14-09, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool news about the film, can't wait for that.
Old 04-14-09, 09:28 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Oh, please say NO! Brendan has screwed up Springsteen's latest so badly.
Old 05-22-09, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Pearl Jam To Kick Off Conan's 'Tonight Show'

Will Ferrell and Pearl Jam will be part of Conan O'Brien's first "Tonight Show."

Ferrell joined O'Brien in February for his final "Late Night" show in New York. Now the actor-comedian will help O'Brien kick off his tenure on "Tonight" in Los Angeles.

Pearl Jam will be the first band on O'Brien's show, playing songs from an upcoming studio album, NBC said Monday.

O'Brien takes over the late-night show on June 1, after Jay Leno wraps up his 17-year run as "Tonight" host on May 29. Leno is moving to a daily prime-time series for NBC in the fall.

BILLBOARD.com
Old 05-23-09, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by gerrythedon
Pearl Jam will be the first band on O'Brien's show, playing songs from an upcoming studio album, NBC said Monday.
Typically musical acts only play one song on The Tonight Show, but hopefully since it is Conan's first show (and PJ's first Tonight Show appearance), this description is accurate and we really will get two full songs....
Old 05-23-09, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cant wait for the new album and it will be great to see them on Conan's Tonight Show debut.
Old 06-01-09, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Bump to remind everyone that PJ is on Conan's Tonight Show debut tonight, and also news has leaked that their new album is tentatively penciled in for September 22! It is currently titled "Backspacer" and will be exclusively available at Target (for the major retail chains), as well as small/local/independent record shops (and the PJ fan club too, of course...)

Here is the full story from EW who interviewed Kelly Curtis (PJ's band manager):
http://music-mix.ew.com/2009/06/pearl-jam-to-re.html

I hope we get to hear "The Fixer" debuted tonight, so exciting!! Only 13 more days until I see Eddie in Baltimore!!!
Old 06-01-09, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't believe album will only be sold at Target.
Old 06-01-09, 11:40 PM

That song was pretty middle-of-the-road. Didn't even compare to the awesome stuff on the last album. But it's one song on a late-night show (bands never sound good in those studios, even if they're energetic), so I'm not making any judgments.
Old 06-01-09, 11:52 PM

It sounded like they were going for a U2 style or something on the conan performance. It really threw me off.
Old 06-02-09, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Not true.

According to Billboard:
"Apparently, the label-less LP will be distributed by an assortment of partners, including "an online retailer, a mobile partner, a gaming company and a network or possibly networks of indie retail stores."

So while Pearl Jam recorded a commercial for Target and they may be the big box retailer, you can purchase the album from various vendors, including Pearl Jam's site.
Old 06-02-09, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by WMAangel
It is currently titled "Backspacer" and will be exclusively available at Target (for the major retail chains), as well as small/local/independent record shops (and the PJ fan club too, of course...)
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Yeah, how did you get that this will ONLY be available from Target, when I specifically wrote above that they are just the only "major retail chain" who will sell it?

Anyway, the new song they debuted last night is titled "Got Some", and while the sound mix wasn't too great (I'm guessing they're still working out the kinks there on the new Tonight Show), I thought the song itself was SWEEEEET!
Ahh, the wait until September will be a long one for me....
Old 06-06-09, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 904 Likes on 551 Posts

Got Some from Conan:

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="http://widgets.nbc.com/o/4727a250e66f9723/4a2a6d2df7a2d800/4741e3c5156499a7/d2291b31/-cpid/d0d572353e5d5811" id="W4727a250e66f97234a2a6d2df7a2d800" width="384" height="283"><param name="movie" value="http://widgets.nbc.com/o/4727a250e66f9723/4a2a6d2df7a2d800/4741e3c5156499a7/d2291b31/-cpid/d0d572353e5d5811" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><param name="allowNetworking" value="all" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /></object>

RITFW from Conan (unaired):

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="http://widgets.nbc.com/o/4727a250e66f9723/4a2a6bba9a76f6cb/4741e3c5156499a7/324f81b5/-cpid/9b88ea0ce593a92f" id="W4727a250e66f97234a2a6bba9a76f6cb" width="384" height="283"><param name="movie" value="http://widgets.nbc.com/o/4727a250e66f9723/4a2a6bba9a76f6cb/4741e3c5156499a7/324f81b5/-cpid/9b88ea0ce593a92f" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><param name="allowNetworking" value="all" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /></object>
Old 07-10-09, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Pearl Jam Announces U.S. Tour Dates

Pearl Jam will celebrate Halloween early with two concerts at Philadelphia's Wachovia Spectrum to be held Oct. 28 and 30. The shows are part of a brief North American tour which also includes stops in San Diego, Seattle and Los Angeles. Ben Harper and Relentless 7 will open all announced shows except for those in Philadelphia.

The band will also head to Australia and New Zealand in November, with additional dates expected to be announced in the coming weeks.

Philadelphia tickets go on sale to the general public on July 17th at 10 a.m. EDT. All other confirmed shows go on sale to the general public on July 18th at 10 a.m. PDT.

The tour dates come in support of Pearl Jam's self-released ninth album, "Backspacer," which will be out Sept. 20. As previously reported, Target will be the exclusive big-box retailer in the United States, while Universal will handle distribution internationally.

The new album's first single, the hard-charging rock track "The Fixer," will hit U.S. radio and digital retailers on July 20. During a June 1 appearance on "The Tonight Show With Conan O'Brien," Pearl Jam premiered "Got Some," another new song from "Backspacer," and at recent solo shows, frontman Eddie Vedder has debuted three other tracks -- "Unthought Known," "The End" and "Speed of Sound" -- which are expected to appear on the album as well.

On Aug. 8, Pearl Jam will play its first full live show in more than a year at the Virgin Festival in Calgary, Alberta. After a quick four-show run in Europe, the band then visits Toronto (Aug. 21) and Chicago (Aug. 23-24) before headlining the Outside Lands festival in San Francisco on Aug. 28.

Also on tap is a headlining slot on Oct. 4 at the Austin City Limits festival in Austin, Texas. The day before, Pearl Jam will tape an episode of the long-running TV series "Austin City Limits."

Here are Pearl Jam's new tour dates:

Sept. 21: Seattle (Key Arena)
Sept. 22: Seattle (Key Arena)
Sept. 30: Los Angeles (Gibson Amp.)
Oct. 1: Los Angeles (Gibson Amp.)
Oct. 6: Los Angeles (Gibson Amp.)
Oct. 7: Los Angeles (Gibson Amp.)
Oct. 9: San Diego (Viejas Arena)
Oct. 28: Philadelphia (Spectrum)
Oct. 30: Philadelphia (Spectrum)

BILLBOARD.com
Old 07-11-09, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by gerrythedon
Pearl Jam Announces U.S. Tour Dates

Pearl Jam will celebrate Halloween early with two concerts at Philadelphia's Wachovia Spectrum to be held Oct. 28 and 30. The shows are part of a brief North American tour which also includes stops in San Diego, Seattle and Los Angeles. Ben Harper and Relentless 7 will open all announced shows except for those in Philadelphia.

The band will also head to Australia and New Zealand in November, with additional dates expected to be announced in the coming weeks.

Philadelphia tickets go on sale to the general public on July 17th at 10 a.m. EDT. All other confirmed shows go on sale to the general public on July 18th at 10 a.m. PDT.

The tour dates come in support of Pearl Jam's self-released ninth album, "Backspacer," which will be out Sept. 20. As previously reported, Target will be the exclusive big-box retailer in the United States, while Universal will handle distribution internationally.

The new album's first single, the hard-charging rock track "The Fixer," will hit U.S. radio and digital retailers on July 20. During a June 1 appearance on "The Tonight Show With Conan O'Brien," Pearl Jam premiered "Got Some," another new song from "Backspacer," and at recent solo shows, frontman Eddie Vedder has debuted three other tracks -- "Unthought Known," "The End" and "Speed of Sound" -- which are expected to appear on the album as well.

On Aug. 8, Pearl Jam will play its first full live show in more than a year at the Virgin Festival in Calgary, Alberta. After a quick four-show run in Europe, the band then visits Toronto (Aug. 21) and Chicago (Aug. 23-24) before headlining the Outside Lands festival in San Francisco on Aug. 28.

Also on tap is a headlining slot on Oct. 4 at the Austin City Limits festival in Austin, Texas. The day before, Pearl Jam will tape an episode of the long-running TV series "Austin City Limits."

Here are Pearl Jam's new tour dates:

Sept. 21: Seattle (Key Arena)
Sept. 22: Seattle (Key Arena)
Sept. 30: Los Angeles (Gibson Amp.)
Oct. 1: Los Angeles (Gibson Amp.)
Oct. 6: Los Angeles (Gibson Amp.)
Oct. 7: Los Angeles (Gibson Amp.)
Oct. 9: San Diego (Viejas Arena)
Oct. 28: Philadelphia (Spectrum)
Oct. 30: Philadelphia (Spectrum)

BILLBOARD.com
Probably get my Ten Club tix for the San Diego show. Can't wait!
Old 07-11-09, 03:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Pillowhead
Probably get my Ten Club tix for the San Diego show. Can't wait!

Looks like my wife and I will be taking a trip to Philly in October.
Old 07-15-09, 02:14 PM

Just got tickets to Philly 1! Can't wait.
Old 07-15-09, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Scored mine for San Diego!

Outsidelands and San Diego, here I come!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.