Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Opeth - Watershed (June 3rd, 2008)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Opeth - Watershed (June 3rd, 2008)

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-08, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Although knowing RR I'm sure it'll show up on some Watershed: 3-disc DE.
It might be fashionable to bash RR, but I commend them for releasing the SE at the same time as the standard one.
Old 06-03-08, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Speaking of cool RR stuff...

Those who pre-ordered through The End should be receiving an email with an exclusive download link for "Melloton Heart"!

Very cool for them to do this...just got my download now.
Old 06-03-08, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Speaking of cool RR stuff...

Those who pre-ordered through The End should be receiving an email with an exclusive download link for "Melloton Heart"!

Very cool for them to do this...just got my download now.
I just came here to post the same thing.
I had the email from Omega in my junk folder box. (Glad I checked that for a change).
Old 06-06-08, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
After watching the behind the scenes video I've got to say that watching Ax talk just makes me sad. I can't tell if he's super camera shy, if he can't converse well in English or if he's actually slow. Don't get me wrong, he's an amazing drummer but listening to his interviews was just painful. The contrast between watching him drum (where he's completely in his element) and watching him talk (where he stutters, fidgets and talks super soft) was amazing.

Anybody know if he's actually like that in real life, or just comes off really poorly on camera?
Old 06-06-08, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I'm not a fan so I don't keep up, so has Opeth done anymore albums along the lines of Damnation?
Old 06-06-08, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I'm not a fan so I don't keep up, so has Opeth done anymore albums along the lines of Damnation?
Not exclusively "soft" songs if that's what you mean. That was likely a one shot thing.

Their last two studio releases, Ghost Reveries (2005) and now Watershed (2008) both have a couple songs that to me would fit right in on Damnation.

But while I liked the whole Deliverance/Damnation combination, I find Opeth is much more interesting when the heavy and soft elements are blended in the same song as well as the same record.

If you want to cherry pick a few songs without the heavy parts or growl vocals, check out "Atonement", "Hours of Wealth" and "Isolation Years" from Ghost Reveries, and "Burden" from Watershed. "Coil" from the new one is also Damnation-like, but it's more like a short little intro to "Heir Apparent", which is a major ass-kicker.
Old 06-06-08, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mordred
After watching the behind the scenes video I've got to say that watching Ax talk just makes me sad. I can't tell if he's super camera shy, if he can't converse well in English or if he's actually slow. Don't get me wrong, he's an amazing drummer but listening to his interviews was just painful. The contrast between watching him drum (where he's completely in his element) and watching him talk (where he stutters, fidgets and talks super soft) was amazing.

Anybody know if he's actually like that in real life, or just comes off really poorly on camera?
I got the impression he doesn't speak English very well, whereas the other guys obviously do. It seems like most Swedes do know English, but maybe Axe is from somewhere else?
Old 06-06-08, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I got the impression he doesn't speak English very well, whereas the other guys obviously do. It seems like most Swedes do know English, but maybe Axe is from somewhere else?
He's from Linkoping, Sweden. I've been to Scandinavia and there basically isn't anybody under 50 in the area who doesn't speak English... and the Swedes were probably the best. It's amazingly easy for English speakers to get around because all the signs have English on them and even the fast food workers/street vendors speak it well. Just learn to say Tak/Takk/Tack ("thanks") and you're good to go.

Maybe he just didn't pay attention in school though. I hope that's all it is, because he seems like a really nice guy.
Old 06-06-08, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He's from Linkoping, Sweden. I've been to Scandinavia and there basically isn't anybody under 50 in the area who doesn't speak English... and the Swedes were probably the best. It's amazingly easy for English speakers to get around because all the signs have English on them and even the fast food workers/street vendors speak it well. Just learn to say Tak/Takk/Tack ("thanks") and you're good to go.

Maybe he just didn't pay attention in school though. I hope that's all it is, because he seems like a really nice guy.
Cool info.

On a related note, the documentary reveals it is Axe's longtime girlfriend who sings the female vox on the new record. I hope they use her more in the future.
Old 06-06-08, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

That was my thought when I first heard some interviews with Tomas Haake of Meshuggah -- he speaks English like it is his first language. He is rather witty and well-spoken and he is always a great interview.
Old 06-12-08, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

well, the first limited edition has hit ebay. 5 hours left with 25 bidders already and at $146. not bad. we'll see how it finishes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/OPETH-Watershed-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 06-12-08, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts
Well my first impressions of the album ... it's ... strange.

None of the songs feel particularly epic, and based off things they said while making it, I was expecting it to be a lot heavier. Too much singing, not enough cookie monster.
Old 06-12-08, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by dick_grayson
well, the first limited edition has hit ebay. 5 hours left with 25 bidders already and at $146. not bad. we'll see how it finishes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/OPETH-Watershed-...QQcmdZViewItem
Now $155.86 with 2 hours to go. Damn. Had I know that I would have ordered more than 1 copy.
Old 06-13-08, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For those interested in sales #s:

Originally Posted by "Blabbermouth
The following is an updated list of "Watershed"'s first-week chart positions:

Finland: #1
Sweden: #7
Norway: #7
Australia: #7
Holland: #14
Japan: #15 (Oricon chart)
Canada: #17
USA: #23
UK: #34
Italy: #42
Ireland: #59

As previously reported, "Watershed" sold more than 19,000 copies of in the United States in its first week of release.

"Watershed" is the follow-up to the band's acclaimed "Ghost Reveries" CD, which debuted at No. 64 on the Billboard chart back in September 2005 with first-week sales of just under 15,000. OPETH's 2003 album, "Damnation", opened with a little over 5,000 copies.

"Ghost Reveries" has sold 95,000 copes in the United States since its 2005 release, according to Nielsen SoundScan.
Would love to see them crack the top 10 in the US but I doubt it'll ever happen.
Old 06-16-08, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

For those interested in sales #s:

Would love to see them crack the top 10 in the US but I doubt it'll ever happen.
Well, considering that GR hit #64 and Watershed hit #23, and the state of the music industry these days... it's not hard to believe that, after securing more fans due to Watershed, Opeth could conceivably crack the top 10 on their next album.
Old 06-16-08, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
I usually don't post here, but Opeth is one of my favorites and after 3 listens of Watershed this is easily going to be one of the albums I hear all year. They are just one of those bands that rarely disappoints. For the record, I started at Blackwater Park and have been a fan ever since.
Old 07-08-08, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

For those interested
Originally Posted by Blabbermouth.net
Swedish metallers OPETH will team up with HIGH ON FIRE for a North American tour this fall. NACHTMYTSIUM will open the first half of the trek, while BARONESS will open the second half. The dates are as follows:

Sep. 16 - Buffalo, The Town Ballroom - NY
Sep. 17 - Philadelphia, Trocadero - PA
Sep. 18 - New York, Nokia Theatre - NY
Sep. 19 - Worcester, The Palladium - MA
Sep. 20 - Quebec City, Theatre Imperial - QC
Sep. 21 - London, Centennial Hall - ON
Sep. 23 - Cleveland, House of Blues - OH
Sep. 24 - Chicago, House of Blues - IL
Sep. 25 - Grand Rapids, The Orbit Room - MI
Sep. 26 - Milwaukee, The Rave - WI
Sep. 27 - St. Paul, Myth - MN
Sep. 29 - Winnipeg, The Garrick Centre - MB
Sep. 30 - Saskatoon, Odeon Events Centre – SK
Oct. 01 - Edmonton, Edmonton Events Centre - AB
Oct. 03 - Vancover, Commodore Ballroom - BC
Oct. 04 - Seattle, Showbox@The Market - WA
Oct. 06 - San Francisco, Regency Center @ The Grand Ballroom - CA
Oct. 07 - Los Angeles, Wiltern Theatre - CA
Oct. 08 - Las Vegas, House of Blues - NV
Oct. 09 - Tempe, Marquee Theatre - AZ
Oct. 10 - Albuquerque, Sunshine Theater - NM
Oct. 11 - Denver, Ogden Theatre, CO
Oct. 13 - St. Louis, The Pageant - MO
Oct. 14 - Kansas City, The Beaumont Club - MO
Oct. 15 - Dallas, House of Blues Dallas - TX
Oct. 16 - Austin, The Monarch - TX
Oct. 17 - Houston, Warehouse Live - TX
Oct. 18 - New Orleans, House of Blues - LA
Oct. 20 - Ft. Lauderdale, Revolution - FL
Oct. 21 - Lake Buena Vista, House of Blues - FL
Oct. 22 - Atlanta, Center Stage - GA
Oct. 23 - Cincinnati, Bogartīs - OH
Oct. 24 - Raleigh, Lincoln Theatre - NC
Oct. 25 - Norfolk, The Norva - VA
Oct. 26 - Baltimore, Rams Head Live! - MD

HIGH ON FIRE: all dates
NACHTMYSTIUM: Sep. 16 - Oct. 4
BARONESS: Oct. 6 - Oct. 26
Old 07-09-08, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Got my tickets for the Wiltern show. Very interested to see how much the new guitarist will re-interpret some of their older material.
Old 07-09-08, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ Where did you get your Wiltern tickets already? I don't see them up on Ticketraper yet.
Old 07-09-08, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
^ Where did you get your Wiltern tickets already? I don't see them up on Ticketraper yet.
Visit the band's website and they will link to you to a presale link. It's supposed to be lower prices and convenience charges. I picked up a pair of tickets for $56.50 ($22.00 per ticket; $5.00 convenience charge per ticket; $2.50 processing fee per order). I would imagine venue prices could be different depending on where you are seeing them, but you should save a few dollars doing it this way. They only accept Visa or MC, no AMEX or Paypal options at the moment. Hope that helps.
Old 07-09-08, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Baroness is great. I think I might try for the MD one.
Old 07-22-08, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd never heard of this. The song is quite good, too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%C3%B6rskogen
Old 08-07-08, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

First I'd heard of it either. The song is decent, but really keyboard heavy:
http://hem.bredband.net/frisun/Sorsk..._i_Grottan.mp3

I just came in here to post that I got my tickets for the Austin show. I was incredibly excited and then saw I could have saved $2.50 by going through the Opeth website if only I'd read here first
Old 08-07-08, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just got my Wiltern tix the other day. I'm SO bummed that Nachtmystium is dropping off on the 4th and I'm going on the 7th! Crapola!
Old 08-07-08, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

yeah, ive become a big fan of Nachtmystium. Psychadelic black/death metal.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.