Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

10 Best Rappers?

Old 04-16-08, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Drama King
It's where you come from and what you grew up to.
All that shows is that you're myopic in your musical taste and won't listen to anything out of your area. I can understand being very familiar with a local scene. For example, the whole chopped-and-screwed Houston thing, which didn't hit any national attention until what, 10 years later?

But I'm going to be suspicious of anyone who declares that "the best" rappers are from any one area. Your "favorite" rappers is an entirely different matter, but it still shows a predilection for refusing to entertain the idea of great artists outside your immediate circle of influence.
Old 04-16-08, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by TheGodfather
Some of my favorite KRS/BDP songs aside from those mentioned already are:
While I think the lyrics are average (for KRS), 3rd Eye's beat on "Step Into a World" is probably one of my all-time favorites.
Old 04-16-08, 11:47 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I understand what you are saying in terms of favorite vs. best and if we look at it that way I probably remove a persoon or 2. Wayne not being one of them. If we add favorite there are a few more in my list personally.

So i guees the question I truly have is what set of rules are we to base our decision off of. Who's rules define what is best. Is it my deffinition or yours.

Is it Longevity (Need to Look at Ice T or Slick Rick or Too Short)

Is it most records sold total (Tupac, and Eminem)

Most Record sold for an album (Mc Hammer 10 mil, Will smith 9 mil) Outkast and Big if we count the Double albums which really only means you sold 1/2 and they counted twice

Most Popular (Jay-Z, Lil-Wayne, Souljah Boy) this is argueable, but if we look at what PoP Rap is currently

The Power of the Originators (Rakim, Public Enemy, Run-Dmc, NWA, Ghetto Boys, KRS-ONE)

I guess my basic argument is not wether or not your rap tastes are ecletic. Your favorites are going to translate to your best. They become synonomus because of that. I have and continue to listen to everything, it just so happens that I like the music I grew up too as most people do and in turn for me that is what is the BEST.
Old 04-16-08, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can list more local artist who I can appretiate for their value (DJ Jubilee, DJ Jimi), but they are BOUNCE artists and very unique to the New Orleans area.
Drama King, do you own DJ Jimi's "It's Jimi" album? I think it was from like 92 or 93. I only ask because I have never known anyone other than myself who owns it. Probably because I'm from a small farm town in Ohio, but still...

Always loved the "Where They At" track.
Old 04-16-08, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I don't like 2Pac much but his skills are undeniable.
Old 04-16-08, 02:00 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by dadaluholla
Drama King, do you own DJ Jimi's "It's Jimi" album? I think it was from like 92 or 93. I only ask because I have never known anyone other than myself who owns it. Probably because I'm from a small farm town in Ohio, but still...

Always loved the "Where They At" track.
Sadly to say no I don't, I did on tape, but I prefered "Bounce for the Juvenile" Another track. I haven't gone back to purchase all the old albums I used to have on tape (UNLV, Pimp Daddy, PNC), but it cool to know someone in Ohio has the music.....That's crazy to me.
Old 04-16-08, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by The Bus
[Eekwol]
But she may be the best white female Canadian rapper I've ever heard.
She's Native.
Old 04-17-08, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Power of the Originators (Rakim, Public Enemy, Run-Dmc, NWA, Ghetto Boys, KRS-ONE)
the originators were a little before any of these except Rakim and Eric B... before rappers could get album deals even...

Melle Mel and the Furious Five, Schoolly D, Ice T, Too Short, Sugarhill Gang, to name a few...

KRS One was a protege of Schoolly D...

i dig this freeway track... saw him and JayZ do it live and it was slamming...

Old 04-17-08, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow no one has said anything of "Big Daddy Kane"!!
Here is my list:
1: the R and still greatest to ever grip the MIC---RAKIM
2: Big Daddy Kane
3: MC Lyte (My All Time fav Female rapper)
4: Krs-One
5: Doug.E.Fresh (the human beat-box-machine)
6: Public Enemy-Chuck D
7: Slick Rick (The Story Teller)
8: Roxanne Shanté (she was bad as bad can be on the Mic)
9: Guru of GangStarr
10: Biz Markie and Flavor Flav (tie)

And the best DJ is the one and the only Eric-B and second best is Terminator X and third best and don't laugh DJ Jazzy-Jeff.
Old 04-17-08, 01:18 AM

Mos Def (see Black on Both Sides)
Pharoahe Monch (Internal Affairs)
Black Thought (Illadelph Halflife or Tipping Point)
Common (Like Water For Chocolate)
GZA (Liquid Swords)
Eminem
Rakim (Follow The Leader)
Nas (Illmatic/Stillmatic)
OutKast (Aquemini/ATLiens)
Talib Kweli (Quality)
Old 04-17-08, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
2 Pac = I love some of his stuff and hate some of his stuff. He was at his best when rapping about real shit. Nobody is rapping about real stuff now. Its all about screaming their and look at might big car. I'm talking about you Mike Jones.

Public Enemy = I love these fight the power through rap guys.

Eminem = thy guy is crazy and raps about his screwed up life. I love that song about the fan that kills his girlfriend in a fan letter. The only problem is he is Stephen King, he is at his best when he is at his worst. I'm not sure if he still got the skills now.

The Fugees = They had the perfect sound. Each one of them brought something to the mix that just made it work.

DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince = Will Smith isn't a rapper. The Fresh Prince is the rapper and with his boy Jazzy Jeff they could do no wrong. Tell me you don't pump Sumer Time every summer. These guys were classic and clean.

Kanye West = The guy is a jerk but he is a jerk that can rap. The weight of his head is going to kill him one day but oh well.

Sirmixalot = Maybe it is just because I'm from Seattle. Oh Broadway isn't the spot any more so don't bother going there.
Old 04-17-08, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
the originators were a little before any of these except Rakim and Eric B... before rappers could get album deals even...

Melle Mel and the Furious Five, Schoolly D, Ice T, Too Short, Sugarhill Gang, to name a few...

Actually the real originators were mostly DJ's most of you probably never heard of and they were ALL from the Bronx and Harlem, NY. Or at least hung out there.

LoveBug & Starski, Chuck Chillout, Kool Herc, DJ Scott LaRock, Casanova, Afrikka Baambaataa, Africa Islam, Grandmaster Flash, DJ Red Alert, Kurtis Blow, Treacherous Three, 9 Lives Crew, Cypress Boys, Rock Steady Krew, etc.

Rap was started by kids out in parks or at block parties who would grab the mic and say rhymes over the DJ's scratching. It was picked up by DJ's in clubs who were just trying to hype the crowd. At first they'd just rhyme some stuff over the disco music they were spinning. Or they'd grab one of their boys from the park to do it, like Kurtis Blow. The more people heard this the more they wanted it, and the demand for MC's grew.

The Sugarhill Gang was a complete sham. These weren't dudes out in parks rhyming, they were put together by Sugarhill records, which was a big Disco music production company, to take advantage of the new phenomenon.

Kurtis Blow was the 1st rapper to get heavy play on the radio and only after Run-DMC put hip hop into the mainstream did the rest of the country notice.

As far as the criteria of "Best Rapper" question, I took it literally. If we were talking favorites I'd have ranked Redman, Gza, Run-DMC, Special Ed and a few others.

Some of the dudes on my list are there for different reasons (Rakim and Biggie were the best lyricists ever IMO, Nas and KRS dropped science, while Jay-Z is there for his club bangers - no one did it better), I believe they were the best at what they did.
Old 04-17-08, 12:09 PM

Actually the real originators were mostly DJ's most of you probably never heard of and they were ALL from the Bronx and Harlem, NY.
Wow ... I know you're "TheGodfather," but perhaps you could try to be a little less condescending. I can't speak on behalf of anyone other than myself, but I for one have a great understanding of the history of hip hop. You're not privy to any top secret information here. Even people who weren't alive when the originators were active could certainly have read Jeff Chang's excellent book "Can't Stop Won't Stop: A History of the Hip-Hop Generation," seen the VH1 mini-series on this topic, or studied the history of hip hop in any number of other ways.

Kurtis Blow was the 1st rapper to get heavy play on the radio and only after Run-DMC put hip hop into the mainstream did the rest of the country notice.
Run-DMC (obviously with the help of Run's brother, Russell Simmons) did help in making the country take notice, but I think it would be historically inaccurate to ignore LL Cool J in this context. He certainly helped.
Old 04-17-08, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
As far as the "classic best" goes, Isn't LL still the winner when it came to the battles?

Busy Bee (Beaten by Kool Moe Dee)

Kool Moe Dee (Beaten by LL)

Cannibus challenged LL and lost.
Old 04-17-08, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Wise Intelligent
Sadat X
Chuck D
KRS 1
GZA
Rakim
Sticky Fingaz
Ice Cube
Guru
Old 04-17-08, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

while Jay-Z is there for his club bangers - no one did it better
I'll give you that.
Old 04-17-08, 06:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chuck D
Gift of Gab (from Blackalicious)
Q-Tip
Snoop (although only for Doggystyle really)
all three original members of Pharcyde
Chali 2na (from Jurassic 5)
Roots Manuva (best UK MC ever)
Kool Keith
MF Doom
Busta Rhymes

I'm shocked to hear that anyone (KRS-One or R.E.M. fan) liked "Radio Song".
Old 04-17-08, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I didn't really see Gnarls Barkley listed, did I? First, I wouldn't even consider them rappers. They've got hip-hop elements in their music, no doubt, but Cee-Lo hasn't really rapped consistently since his Dungeon Family days. Even his solo work has him jumping around musical styles from track-to-track.

I think we should make clear that there's a difference between great song-makers and great rappers. The likes of Kanye and Dre know how to make fun songs, but I wouldn't consider them having anything close to great skills on the mic. Kanye's a good showman capable of some fun and clever lines. And I don't think Dre's ever written a single one of his verses.
Old 04-17-08, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 145 Posts
This guy's pretty impressive for a white boy doing old school rapping.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YQr1u1l-rIU&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YQr1u1l-rIU&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Old 04-17-08, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

im not a big rap fan but i like some.

cormega
talib kweli
cyprus hill
dmx
7l and esoteric
2pac
biggie
nwa....i only like eazy e solo
Old 04-17-08, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
I met Schooly D at a J5 video shoot. Dude was like "This is wack, any of y'all know of any parties to go to?" A few brave backpackers left with him to find a party.

(This was about, er, 8 years ago maybe)
Old 04-17-08, 11:20 PM

the dudes name is schooly d.who gives a fuck what he thinks.
Old 04-17-08, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Double Down
Wow ... I know you're "TheGodfather," but perhaps you could try to be a little less condescending. I can't speak on behalf of anyone other than myself, but I for one have a great understanding of the history of hip hop. You're not privy to any top secret information here. Even people who weren't alive when the originators were active could certainly have read Jeff Chang's excellent book "Can't Stop Won't Stop: A History of the Hip-Hop Generation," seen the VH1 mini-series on this topic, or studied the history of hip hop in any number of other ways.

Run-DMC (obviously with the help of Run's brother, Russell Simmons) did help in making the country take notice, but I think it would be historically inaccurate to ignore LL Cool J in this context. He certainly helped.
I don't remember the part where I said I had top secret info. Or where I called everyone stupid. I'll bet the casual hip hop fan doesn't know much about the genre before Run-DMC though. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe they all read books.

As far as LL goes, aside from "Rock The Bells" and his appearance in Krush Groove, he really didn't blow up nationwide until "Bigger And Deffer", his 2nd album which came out in 1987. Run-DMC had 3 albums out before that - all mainstream hits. I would argue that the Beasties' License To Ill, which also came out before "B&D", had more to do with hip hop going mainstream than LL, though he obviously helped keep it there. Fact is by '87 Big Daddy Kane, Slick Rick, The Fat Boys, Beastie Boys, Eric B. & Rakim and even Rob Base among others were all mainstream and LL had no more to do with the hip hop explosion early on than any of them did. Let's not forget that Run-DMC were the stars of the movie that featured a glimpse of an unknown LL which ultimately put him on the map.
Old 04-17-08, 11:55 PM

shit i think 2 live crew were more influental than LL Cool J.
Old 04-18-08, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Politically? Yes. In the same way Mortal Kombat was more politically influential than Quake.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.