DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Guns N' Roses finally finish "Chinese Democracy" (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/529255-guns-n-roses-finally-finish-chinese-democracy.html)

DJLinus 04-10-08 12:48 PM

Guns N' Roses finally finish "Chinese Democracy"

Guns N' Roses finish 'Chinese Democracy' album
Axl Rose has finally delivered the album to his record label
Apr 10, 2008

Guns N Roses have reportedly finished work on 'Chinese Democracy', the album that Axl Rose has been working on for the past 14 years.

Therockradio.com reports that Geffen Records, the band's record label, have confirmed they have received a finished copy of the album, and are currently haggling over money and rights issues with Rose.

The album is reported to have cost in excess of $13million (£6.5million) to produce.

As previously reported, it is rumoured that a Guns N' Roses reality TV show is set to be broadcast to coincide with the release of the album.

http://www.nme.com/news/guns-n-roses...terstitialskip

--------------------

I searched, but all of the Chinese Democracy threads that showed up have been locked. Mods, if there's an existing one out there, merge away.

DVD Josh 04-10-08 12:52 PM

I have a feeling the compensation issue will take as long as the recording did.

pinata242 04-10-08 12:56 PM

Who wants my free can of Dr. Pepper?

GoVegan 04-10-08 01:01 PM

David Geffen: Ok, Mr. Rose, we're prepared to offer you one free can of Dr. Pepper for every person in the country and...

Axel: I'LL TAKE IT!!!

twikoff 04-10-08 01:03 PM

great
now they can get to work on their next album

Mondo Kane 04-10-08 01:21 PM

Just in time for the Olympics!

Oliver Clothesoff 04-10-08 01:35 PM

someone should tell Robin Finck, because he just got back with NIN:

http://www.nin.com/uploaded_images/040408-705617.jpg

Damed 04-10-08 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane

That's what I was thinking. It would make marketing sense to release it to coincide with the opening of the Olympics in China.

Maxflier 04-10-08 03:02 PM

This thread is 9 days late.

FatTony 04-10-08 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane

Axl Rose - Perfectionist musician, or marketing genius?

TGM 04-10-08 03:19 PM

Wow, 14 years... I'm sure it's musically relevant. zzzzzzzz.

UAIOE 04-10-08 03:31 PM

I bet 3DRealms is feeling the pressure now.

If this *AND* Duke Forever get released, does this mean the world will end?

The Mayan calender is wrong!

LiquidSky 04-10-08 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
Wow, 14 years... I'm sure it's musically relevant. zzzzzzzz.

If it's good ol' rock 'n roll, it won't matter.

William Fuld 04-10-08 03:52 PM

What's the average production cost for an album from an A-List band/artist?

Matt 04-10-08 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by LiquidSky
If it's good ol' rock 'n roll, it won't matter.

(It's not.)

Hixx 04-10-08 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by William Fuld

Anywhere from 500K to a couple million is my guess.

bigjim25 04-10-08 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Maxflier
This thread is 9 days late.

My was my first thought. ;) I keep waiting for Ashton to come in and say we've been Punk'd :lol:

dvduser6 04-10-08 05:06 PM

I got nothin'.

Supermallet 04-10-08 06:38 PM

I'll hear it simply out of curiosity.

chino77 04-10-08 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by GoVegan
David Geffen: Ok, Mr. Rose, we're prepared to offer you one free can of Dr. Pepper for every person in the country and...

Axel: I'LL TAKE IT!!!

rotfl :up:

nodeerforamonth 04-10-08 09:13 PM

I don't believe it.

IF this is true, I think DVD Josh is right.

Matt 04-11-08 12:52 AM

Similar news reports popped up about two months ago, actually:

However more recently the development of financial setbacks have arisen over the prospective release and schedule over the album, with the band set to tour in late 2008 into 2009 following the suggested release of the album has meant that the financing of one Mr. Rose has had to come to an abrupt halt for the time being, as the continuing conflicts are preventing us from nearing 100% completion. The planned tour was scheduled to be beginning in late fall of 2008, continuing into mid spring of 2009, where the second of the albums by the band was to have been released. A third and final album was scheduled for release shortly after this. Long-time friend of Mr. Rose, Mr. Sebastian Bach has been given permission of the use of this information by Mr. Rose. Mr. Bach also has collaborated on many tracks on the albums as well as many other artists and musicians, and as such, problems have arisen with other artist labels to use these musicians on the material, along with issues of pay and content rights.

The current problems that have arisen with the album are also that of visual proportion. The album does not as of yet have cover art and a theme to the cover, as, much to our dismay, Mr. Rose did not like the original concept cover from the album, as seen in a meeting with the band in late 2007. However with plans for the album to be released digitally at first, there are plans for us to come to compromise with Mr. Rose over this situation. With the proposed tour in question, and off the back of that said tour would come the release of the album, these plans, as stated before, are not set in stone, but we are nearing closer, as was said, the album is done, however the legalities and financial issues are the problems for this album at this time, as sale and printing of the albums, as well as copyright control and digital rights management, does not even cover 1/10th of the assets we have paid to Mr. Rose.

Negotiations are ongoing with the band and Mr. Rose's manager, Ms "Beta" Lebeis and as progress is becoming more and more evident now than ever, we are hoping to make a major announcement through official sources of Mr. Rose as of summer 2008.
This was taken from a statement that was reportedly released by Geffen/Interscope. I think GerryTheDon (?) may have posted it here.

Cornelius1047 04-11-08 01:00 AM

I thought we were talking about Axl Rose here.

K

The Bus 04-11-08 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Cornelius1047
I thought we were talking about Axl Rose here.

K

Zing!

DVD Josh 04-11-08 10:09 AM

About a million, give or take.

orangecrush 04-11-08 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
About a million, give or take.

Then this must be 13 times better than any other A-List album out there.

acubfaninmd 04-11-08 11:39 AM

Now all that need to come out is Dr. Dre's Detox album which also has been delayed numerous times

DAC 04-15-08 03:34 PM

http://www.chinesedemocracy.com/imag...pper/karin.jpg
http://www.gunsnroses.com/news/artic...news&fext=.jsp
March 26, 2008

Press Release from Axl Regarding Dr Pepper

We are surprised and very happy to have the support of Dr Pepper with our album "Chinese Democracy," as for us, this came totally out of the blue. If there is any involvement with this promotion by our record company or others, we are unaware of such at this time. And as some of Buckethead's performances are on our album, I'll share my Dr Pepper with him.

Axl Rose

DGibFen 04-15-08 03:53 PM

Is Axl wearing ass-less chaps in that picture?

GuessWho 04-15-08 03:56 PM

All chaps are ass-less... otherwise they'd be 'pants'

Michael T Hudson 04-15-08 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by GuessWho
All chaps are ass-less... otherwise they'd be 'pants'

:lol:

rmcarthur 04-18-08 01:37 AM

Lets see.. Axl is free. Velvet Revolver is without a lead singer. hmm..

Axl just might be in a bad financial situation if this album does poorly.

Obviously, the real GNR needs to reunite and take their show on the road.

Not very likely but I'd say more of a chance than a few years ago.

If the Police can get back together, I think GNR could manage it.

Supermallet 04-18-08 05:14 AM

I'm not the world's biggest GnR fan, but if the original lineup reunited, I'd go to that show. However, I think there's a better chance of the original lineup of The Beatles getting back together.

kilcher 04-18-08 10:08 AM

If the original G n' R gets back together I'm sure Axl will insist on re-recording Chinese Democracy. And by the time it's done again they'll be broken up and he'll want to re-record it again.

d2cheer 04-19-08 05:34 PM

If it is ever released there will be a curiosity factor to it, so first week sales will be good after that who knows. Actually if the new Motley Crue CD does well it will help this one if it is released within a few months. People will be thinking of the 80's and give these releases a chance again. I know I will if there are some decent songs on them.

gerrythedon 04-26-08 07:55 PM

Guns N' Robin

Robin's plans caught everyone in Guns, as well as our fans, a bit off-guard.

Really, Del James' private e-mail that someone took upon themselves to post publicly is the best way for us to address things at this time: "Only Robin knows what Robin's doing."

Neither we nor management, etc., know any more in this regard and we prefer not to speculate or offer opinions at this time.

Robin's Robin. We're in negotiations for the release of "Chinese Democracy" and things are going well.

When we begin to put tour plans together, we'll see where things are. Until then, Robin's touring with NIN and we're working with management on our game plans.

Our thanks to those who continue to show their support.

Guns N' Roses

Dudikoff 04-27-08 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by gerrythedon
Guns N' Robin

Good for him. Anyone involved with GnR has their career stuck in slow motion. No surprise that Robin jumped ship when something better came along.

Hollowgen 04-27-08 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I'm not the world's biggest GnR fan, but if the original lineup reunited, I'd go to that show. However, I think there's a better chance of the original lineup of The Beatles getting back together.

:lol:

Nesbit 04-27-08 03:25 PM

I'm 29 and GNR was the first real rock act that I got into as a kid so maybe my view on things is a little skewed. I know that they aren't looked on as a "All time great" rock band but are they really viewed on the same level as Montley Crew and Def Leopard? Those bands never really appealed to me and seemed too stuck in their time.

Michael T Hudson 04-28-08 09:20 PM

I am just happy I was able to see them live twice in the 90's.